Chapter 20 ** Found Out **
201 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’ve been told to report findings of anyone that have come from somewhere else.”

I looked at the vegetables in the large field before me and pouted, I only wanted to know what kind they were…Now I’ve brought a mess!

“Sir, we don’t mean any harm…Ah…Could you tell my brother here what type of vegetables these are?”

Brother?

I looked up at Kael and he smiled at me.

I gave him a huge smile in return!

“These are cabbage patches. Carrots are over there, and beetroot is further to the north.”

I bent down and continued to only look with my eyes. They looked really close to lettuce…I wondered if they tasted the same.

Getting up, I pointed to the cabbage and then to my mouth.

“I think he’s saying to eat the cabbage…”

“You want to try the cabbage?”

I nodded my head and found Kael stopping me from nodding anymore. “Don’t nod your head like that, Puppy.”

The man there let out a cough and stared at us…

I smiled, not sure what else to do…

“Oh, right. Then let me go and get some for you.”

 

When the man left, Kael turned to me, and said, “I shouldn’t have brought you here!”

I sagged…Why not!?

“You attract too much attention!”

Bowing my head, I looked up at him at the tops of my eyes.

“Don’t look at me like that! We might get stuck here the rest of our lives as farmers because of you!”

That was it, I bowed my head even more and stood there in front of him…

I heard him sigh and put a hand to my head and rummage my hair, “We aren’t here to be curious about the vegetables, we need to know the best way…Well, you should get it, right?”

I nodded, still bowing my head.

For ten minutes, I didn’t move from this position, and Kael didn’t talk to me. I didn’t know what he was doing, but he was quiet.

“Oh, sirs, here…Please try some. I was told that if you are interested, that we can sell you some!”

“Give it to him! He won’t lift his head until he tries some!”

But…I lifted my head to see Kael and he looked upset. “Go on!”

Turning to what he nudged me towards, I see a small bowl and the ‘cabbage’.

Taking some into my mouth, I slowly bit into it but…I didn’t like it…

“Ha, sirs, we normally have it mixed in with other ingredients, it isn’t something we eat by itself.”

I put a finger to my mouth straight away, only to have my hand smacked away and Kael saying, “It’s fine. The glutton might eat all of what you have and then you’d have nothing for winter!”

I turned abruptly to Kael and hit him!

I am not a glutton!

 

“Pardon me, then…Should I get another one for you to try?”

I turned to the man and walked to him, turning him around and pointed to the vegetables on where Kael couldn’t see, then my mouth.

The man laughed and said, “Alright, alright. Come with me, my master owns these farms and would like to meet you!”

As the man started to walk off to the big building in the far distance, I turned and smiled happily at Kael and poked my tongue out at him.

Wasn’t this getting us closer to getting some facts?

Of course, I never knew this would happen, but I wanted to make the best of my mess!

He rolled his eyes at me but did follow, making me turn and jump ahead, and when we got closer to the carrots, I ran up to them to get a closer look.

I had seen carrots before though, so this wasn’t a huge deal…

Do I act…Do I pretend that carrots were something new to me?

But…Wouldn’t I be stupid if I did that, the man might think that I was put into a cell all my life or something!

So, I turned and walked back to the man, ready to walk beside him up to the building ahead.

“How old are you little one?”

I put up all my fingers and thumbs, then three fingers by themselves.

“Wow, and you know about vegetables!?”

I nodded, then pretended I was carrying a bag, while walking slowly, like I was carrying something heavy.

“Ah, you carried the harvest in?”

I nodded, then bent down to show that I could dig and plant…But I was roughly brought back up to my feet by Kael, “We have spent some time on a farm, yes…”

Those words were spoken through clenched teeth, making me sag my shoulders yet again and pout.

“Very well, come on. The master is a tradesman and if he has something you like, he will try to make a good deal with you! He is also the mayor if this small town. He had to supply the army of Gelmain for so long, that we were running out of stock!”

 

This was all it took, for Kael to take advantage of the town.

Upon learning that not many men from Gelmain’s army were left in the town now, Kael didn’t take it by force, instead he took it by making a deal with the mayor of the town.

Since the Gelmain army had taken the vegetables practically by force, Kael instead stated that they would not take his food without payment and that it would benefit him very much if he were to supply the Icklish army food secretly and that Icklish will also protect it from being destroyed.

The mayor did think about it and when Kael handed him some of his savings in advance, to show his intentions more clearly, the mayor finally understood that Kael was indeed using the best method to take the town.

So…The mayor took upon this very likeable trade and decided that he will do as asked, making the army of Icklish go one step further into Gelmain.

The army did not go into the town of Bronk, only the soldiers that would defend the area and with that, they would also defend Mount Prime when needed.

But, now that they had what they needed to defend the hill, their next step was to finally let the country of Gelmain know that war was upon them!

And the best way to do that, was to use the stream that went through two towns, that came from the waters in the south!

Poisoning the water was thought of…But, instead, they were going to block it off!

They weren’t known to be here yet, so a few men dressed the part and started to shovel and make a decent hole, not far away from Bronk.

Not only did they steal a few farms, now they were going to steal the water straight from under Gelmain’s feet! And this water, would normally go straight into Gelmain’s capital!

 

***

 

Another two months went by, while a big dam was in the works, and Gelmain troops did wonder what was going on. They had questioned things five times, not completely understanding, and even talking to the Mayor himself.

In these two months, the Mayor and Kael had gotten to become good acquaintances and seemed to work well together.

It was decided that the dam was to be done to the north of Bronk, even though it was closer into enemy territory, but there was a good reason for this and it seemed to make sense to me.

If the Gelmain army saw the dam being built below, to the south, they would think that we, being the Icklish army, might have something to do with it and they would realise that war was upon them already.

But, to our fortune, there wasn’t much of an army left for Gelmain and we decided that once we take the water, then we would march all the way up to the capital and make the land of Gelmain ours.

With the dam nearly done, plans were being made on how to attack the capital, but…Something that was unforeseen was seen in the distance…Coming this way…

 

Kael was very angry!

I had tried to calm him down, but he even yelled at me.

Flinching away, I guessed it wasn’t a good time and decided to make myself scarce.

Before I could do much of that though, I was picked up and we were getting ready to move out!

…What did I miss?

Lately, I had been happy helping the people here harvest the crops and tasting new dishes…

It was a fun and easy life! And, I’ve grown quite found of cabbages…When they were with other ingredients!

Now…Not only was Kael angry, but we were leaving?

Upon riding a horse towards Mount Prime, we ordered for any carriages that we had to go to Bronk and fill them up with as much harvest as possible, not answering any of my questions at all…

Kael ignored me but kept me close to him and that only made me get frustrated!

What was going on!?

I took the quick chance, when the horse was still, to jump off on my own and walk off!

“Puppy!”

No…

Suddenly I was turned around and he frowned at me, “Stop it!”

No…

I put my hands over my chest and pouted…

Seeing him put a hand through his hair, and sigh, he finally said, “We are retreating…You are to stay here now, no more farm!”

I slumped, letting my hands fall to my sides…But, I liked the farm!

“No!” He let out a huff and then got back onto his horse, “Stay here! I’ll come back later!”

 

Uh…He’s leaving…Without me!? Why!?

I didn’t know what to do, so I just stood there for quite a few minutes, watching as he galloped further and further away from me.

After some more minutes, I took the advantage of being alone to do my personal deeds.

I couldn’t find Neil, so I kept vigilant and put a dagger in my mouth…

When I finished and took a few steps, I found myself in front of someone staring at me in astonishment.

Oh no!

…What do I do!?

“You…You’re female!?”

Backing away one step, I firmly took hold of one of my daggers and watched the man standing there, not far in front of me.

What shocked me…Was that he laughed…He laughed so hard that I lost my composure completely…

“I can’t believe it! He’s like that with you, when he thinks that you’re male, but you’re really a female!”

He laughed again, making me start to get agitated…

I bit my lip and backed further away.

I knew…That since he knew my secret, the best thing was to…Kill him…

But this wasn’t war…This man…He was Kael’s friend…

“Hey, it’s alright! Don’t be scared!”

I shook my head, backing further away. Don’t be scared? Was he joking!?

I was really scared right now!

 

The man became completely serious and took a step forward, making me widen my eyes more and watch him unblinkingly. I grasped onto the dagger tighter, yet still feeling like I couldn’t kill this person…

I guess it was time to run…

I didn’t have any other option!

Turning, I did just that and ran!

Having been dropped off by Kael, at the foot of the mountain, I had done my business to the east in the forest, now I continued going east!

“Wait! Wait!”

I heard him start to chase me and I felt my eyes start to blur.

I felt it for some time now, that this secret couldn’t be held! I knew I couldn’t keep it!

It was bound to be found out!

Tripping over something, because I couldn’t see properly, I quickly got back up and ran again.

“Stop it, Puppy! I won’t harm you! Stop running!”

I didn’t want to stop running, but I tripped again, hating myself more for it.

My life was over!

Feeling my ankle was really sore, I felt my world collapsing.

What do I do!?

 

“Puppy. Calm down…Stay calm…”

Still holding onto one dagger, I put myself into a ball, not sure what to do…Maybe he won’t find me…

I heard a sigh and then steps getting closer and closer…

I felt that air had disappeared! I could hardly breath!

This man knew my secret!

Wouldn’t that mean the whole Billings residence would perish!? Wouldn’t that mean the end!?

Putting my other hand to my chest, I forgot a lot of my surroundings as I tried to breath…

“Hush…I’m not going to hurt you!”

Clenching my clothes into my fist, I continued having trouble breathing and felt my heart beating rapidly.

Thump!

That was all I heard…Thump!

I didn’t know that I had dropped the dagger, nor did I know that I had put myself into a panic attack, but someone did, and they really started to panic themselves.

They shook me and told me to calm down, but I did not hear a word he said…

After feeling my heart pound my body and my hearing only hearing ‘Thump!’…I ended up to a point where I fainted because I could hardly breath…

 

 

Opening my eyes, I see General Tolley in front of me.

What happened?

He was wrapping up my foot, having already taken off my sock and shoe.

When he looked up and saw me awake, he smiled, “You really scared me there!”

Not sure why he was scared…Considering he was a mighty General and all, I stared at him in confusion.

“I get it, it’s a secret. Rest assured, I won’t tell anyone.”

Secret…

Ah…

Moving away from him, I put my hands to my chest…I gripped my clothes and glared at him.

I remembered that man that had touched me and made me do something…I remember!

Was he going to do the same! Demand something from me in payment!

“Hey, calm down will ya! Geez, I know it’s a big secret, but you don’t have to worry, alright! I’ll pretend I didn’t see anything and that I don’t know, now, I order you to calm the hell down!”

Not sure how to react to his words, I just stare at him, not backing down nor was I acknowledging him…

“As much as I want to tell Kael, I won’t. Something such as this is beyond me and I prefer not to have anything to do with it…But…Does he really not know that you’re a female?”

Seeing him seriously ask this question, I nodded my head in return.

“So, he does know?”

I shook my head, he doesn’t know!

“So, he doesn’t know, ok…Haha!”

Why did he laugh?

“Oi, I’m taking you back and we will act just as before, got it!?”

Flinching and bowing, I nodded my head, scared.

“I mean it, Puppy, don’t you go all funny on me now. I won’t hurt you. Don’t go acting suspicious!”

Looking up at him, I nodded and found myself ready to cry.

I never thought that if someone knew my secret, that they would want nothing to do with it! I never thought that they would ‘pretend’ to not have seen anything…That they weren’t going to make me do things in payment, that I didn’t have to run away…

It was just…

Was he really serious!?

“Haha! No wonder he likes to keep you away.”

My eyes changed to that of questionable, to a slight anger…Keep me away?

“Haha! Come on, let’s go, he’ll get really mad to see that you aren’t there…Not to mention your ankle!”

General Tolley picked me up and then looked at me in laughter. “He carries you everywhere and hadn’t realised a thing! Every time I see him with you now, I’m going to be laughing hysterically in my head!”

I hit him on the head then, there’s no need to laugh at Kael like that!

“Hey! Calm down, Puppy! Can’t you see that a man is trying to help you, uh!?”

 

I don’t know why, but it looked like I could trust this man.

I didn’t understand how he could laugh so much about something so important though!

I could only endlessly sigh about this in my heart. Should I run? Should I hide?

But, if this man was true to his word and I could stay, even though he knew this secret, could I really stay?

Can I please stay?

I didn’t want to leave Kael, I liked it here…

I had Neil and Dilan, I was used to this…

I knew…If I ran…It would be a life without any of these people.

“You know, he was really happy when you spoke, and of all people, you spoke to him! So, why don’t you make him happy and speak again, uh?”

Frowning at General Tolley, I shook my head slowly…If I speak…

My mother died because she had spoken…

“That’s a shame. You owe him that much for what you put him through when you ignored him! Do you know what he was like when you did that!? It’s the least you could do!”

Looking up at him, whom was still walking us out of the forest, I swallowed, “Mother…Spoke…Die.”

The man stopped walking and looked down at me, making me look away.

I don’t know why I told him that, I just felt like I had to justify why I didn’t speak…Or maybe…

I don’t know…

“So, you don’t speak because your mother spoke and died?”

I nodded.

“Oh…”

He made my body go in the air for a second and got a better grip of me, “Mmm, well, you’ll have to find another way to make it up to him then.”

 

Finally, we were out of the forest, right near the mountain and General Tolley kept going…Even though I thought it might be unsafe for us…The rocks could easily make one trip and fall.

“Don’t worry, Puppy. Since Kael adores you and he’s my good friend, I won’t let you get hurt.”

Looking at him, I slumped my shoulders and looked away.

I was really glad that Kael had a friend, I knew what it was like to have a friend and was happy for him.

It took us a long time to get to the top, as General Tolley was really quite careful on where to stand, and he then took me straight to the big tent, where I normally stayed.

Putting me down on Kael’s bed, he looked around, “Oh…This is Kael’s. Bah, I’m sure he doesn’t mind. Stay here, I’ll get the army doctor to come and see you.”

Nodding, I let him go, remembering about my foot…

I don’t think it was broken, normally when something is broken people are crying and yelling out in agony…I know…I’ve seen it…

So, my foot should be better in no time.

Taking the small journey to my bed, I laid down on it and thought about what just happened…

2