Blind Pyromancer
84 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"SS Chaos Class monster Copy-Cat," Isakawa sat there looking calm as he thought of something.

"Isakawa... What is that? If I may ask." Riko asked, confused by Isakawa's burst of words.

"That's the monster core they used to give the children Abilities. Copy-Cat could copy the Ability of anyone they fight, and it's said to have even copied other Abilities from another world. Before it came here with a rift," Isakawa explained calmly, as an image of a large Cat with brown and white stripes with three scorpion tails  appeared. Isakawa then pointed at it lightly and it immediately disappeared like smoke.

Riko: "But Isakawa, won't the Heroes find it hard to kill such a monster? How come I didn't hear much about that?"

"The Heroes' Organization had kept this a secret from the world, since they didn't want anyone to panic. Because the monster was attracted by fear." Isakawa looked sharply at Riko. "And what do you think people would do if they heard that there's a monster that could take Abilities away or copy them?"

Riko sat there in silence, pondering about how to answer Isakawa's question. The confusion must have shown on his face, because Isakawa looked down at him, the corner of his mouth twitching with amusement.

Isakawa: "Those who hate Abilities, would see it as a blessing. Others would see it as a curse, since in society, people who have Abilities gain more power no matter their former status. This would obviously cause people to panic."

Riko's frown, however, did not disappear. He didn't know what the Subaru had to do with this. He turned back to Isakawa.

"Then how did the Subaru get the core?"

Isakawa: "The Subaru simply strategized a plan to subjugate that monster. it worked out perfectly, with only a few casualties," Isakawa answered swiftly. It was as if he knew all the answers to Riko's questions before they left his mouth.

Isakawa: "So the Heroes' Organization gifted them the core as a gift, '' He continued, "And if my suspicions are correct, they could only use the core to give the Subaru children Abilities."

"Now they are trying to find other ways to make fake Ability Users, since the core has been depleted," Isakawa explained to Riko, who looked stunned. "And such a powerful monster core would obviously have some side effects."

"Your daughter Sheila is a pyromancer, and Krumi is an Electro mage." Isakawa stated plainly. His blue eyes were glowing, Riko noted, in a mildly threatening way. "Am I right?"

"They are. How did you know that?" Riko asked, glancing up and down nervously. He just seemed to know everything…

"Most people with an Ability System can do that," Isakawa answered.

"Isakawa, you never fail to impress me!" Riko laughed loudly, relieved and excited.

"Can't you simply take her to a healer?" Tael suggested, infuriated. It was that simple! So why was Riko just here, feeling pitiful?

"Well who would you go to first if your daughter couldn't see, boy?" Riko asked in a deep and cold voice, his eyes showing slight hostility for the first time that day. It was clear he didn't like this boy one bit. Tael trembled slightly under Riko's gaze. His aura felt strange...

"The healers couldn't do anything. Even the most powerful ones we've met." Riko continued, his voice saddened. "Apart from the SSS class heroes, they all said they couldn't fix Sheila's eyes. We've tried." Riko sighed despairingly.

Isakawa looked at him thoughtfully. "A pyromancer's greatest ability is fire. So there's a way for your daughter to see."

"For real, Isakawa. Don't trick me." Riko shot back.

"Should I tell you or not?" Isakawa raised an eyebrow tauntingly, a slight smile playing across his lips.

Riko was tempted by this offer. If there was a way for his daughter Sheila to see again, surely take the risk.

"Please do. And rest assured, I would return the favour"

Isakawa: "Good! Good! There is a method I can suggest. It won't heal her eyes fully, but it would protect her."

Sana and Riko both looked puzzled. If it wouldn't heal Sheila's eyes, why say that there's a way?

Isakawa continued to explain. "She won't see again like a normal human, however her fighting prowess and reflexes would be quicker. So she would be able to protect herself."

"What is this method, then?" Riko asked curiously.

"She must just obtain the skill of Radiation Eyes," Isakawa answered.

Riko: "Radiation Eyes... what skill is that? I've never heard of it before."

Isakawa: "That's because this skill is rare and Sheila's class is the best for this Ability."

Isakawa gestured for them to calm down.

"In times past, there was a unique swordsman who fought with fire. He fought many battles with rogues and seeked to use his powers for good. All those who stood in a battlefield with him called the swordsman who fought with fire and many different names. Some gave him the name monster, others a human blessed by the sun."

As Isakawa began to speak everyone felt silent and listened. No one dared to speak, almost as if something was compelling them to just keep quiet and listen to the story.

"There was a king who had heard great legends of this swordsman and ordered his best warriors to invite the swordsman to his palace. The king expected to fail, but luckily for him, the swordsman accepted his request and came to the palace. The king had expected an arrogant middle aged man, but he was incredibly different to what he'd expected. He was humble and kind and spoke wisely. The king asked the swordsman many questions, and the swordsman gave the king the knowledge he asked for. Nervously, the king finally asked the swordsman who fights with flames, how he had become so powerful."

'So that means… Abilities existed in that past way before people knew?' Riko thought to himself.

The swordsman just answered that it was an Ability he had since he was a child. As they dined together late into the evening, the king realized a few things about the swordsman. Whenever the swordsman wanted a drink, he would find it difficult to see the cup. However, with all the hot food around him, he could clearly reach.

Whenever the swordsman wanted to sit down, he couldn't find the chair and ask someone for help. The king truly believed it would be impossible for such a good fighter to be blind.

Well, curiosity took the best of him, and the King asked the swordsman, "Can you see?"

The swordsman smiled and answered, no, he could not see. This shocked the king greatly. He couldn't believe it! So he asked, how come anything that emits heat you could see? The swordsman then told him about his Radiation Eyes, anything that emits heat he could see a bright red colour around them. And each object emitted a different type of heat, so he could tell which was food.

He got used to this after a long time, and could tell the difference between a human and other living things. He could also tell the difference between those who are hostile to him and others who mean no harm. So you see, your daughter has a way to see." Isakawa finished.

"Isakawa, the story's really interesting, but how do we get Sheila this skill?" Riko glanced at his daughter, confused.

"She already has it," Isakawa replied.

"What? That's impossible, there's clearly no skill book or skill stone," Riko's confusion deepened, and he frowned at his friend.

"Sheila, can you see?" Sana asked softly.

"No, Mother. I can't," Sheila answered, sadness seeping through her voice.

Isakawa: "Only those who have a condition like Sheila can attain this skill and it's simply by listening to the story of the Blind Swordsman of Flames."

[ Notice ]

[ You have obtained the skill Radiation Eyes ]

"Father? Mother?" Suddenly, Sheila began to cry, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Why's everyone gone red? I can't see you clearly, but I can tell it's you."

She rubbed her eyes, wiping away the tears with her sleeve.

"My eyes hurt."

"It will take time for you to get used to it," Isakawa said kindly, "But this is the best I can do to help you."

"Thank you so much Isakawa," Riko smiled gratefully.

"No worries. I'm glad I could help," Isakawa grinned back, tapping his friend on the shoulder.

Shiro sat there, hands crossed as she pouted, "I still don't know what the Family games this year would be about."

"Oops. I almost forgot to talk about this year's Family games, sorry Shiro, I was just so happy for Sheila." Riko said, embarrassed as he scratched his head.

"I'm happy for Sheila too!" Shiro fumed but blushed at the same time.

"Thank you Shiro, you're so cute," Sheila grinned, blushing. She found Shiro kind of cute when she tried to act tough.

"I'm just being nice." Shiro folded her arms.

Riko: "Since most of the children have Abilities, they would be sent to a Rift the Subaru Household personally owns."

"A Rift?" Isakawa asked as his face darkened.

"The Rift isn't like any normal Rift. It arrived behind the Subaru Main house which caused the Head of the Subaru to be alert. Lucky it was a dungeon Rift so it wasn't leaking out any monsters.

They sent a team to defeat the monsters inside, and we found out some interesting things. Once the Rift was cleared, it didn't disappear like any normal Rift would, but rather it respawned the monsters again.

The monsters ranged from E class to S Class. So far, no SS Class or above has been found.

They plan to take the children into the Rift to hold the family games there."

"What are they thinking? That's too dangerous," Jennifer protested, slamming her hands on the car seat.

Riko: "We all know but they still have to participate. This year they are to kill as many monsters as they can and bring them out of the Rift"

"And if they do not…" Isakawa said mischievously.

"They would be locked up in the dark chamber for a week." Riko finished his sentence for him.

"Those lunatics!" Jennifer yelled, outraged.

"Since most of the Subaru agreed, it was decided. It won't cause the children to take it for granted," Sana told them calmly, though a note of anger sounded under her voice. "And don't worry. lots of crystal viewers have been placed around the Rift so we can all watch the games."

(Crystal Viewers are like CCTV camera footage. However they are a little different in comparison. Crystal Viewers site range of to 50 miles. And their footage is displayed on a crystal technology screen. So it would just be like they're watching tv.)

"Also, they've assigned people to watch the children. So if  any of them get seriously injured, they get brought back for healing. The children will stay in the Rift for 2 days." Riko elaborated.

Isakawa: "There's one thing I must know."

Riko: "What do you want to know, Isakawa?"

"What does the Rift look like, and what monsters are there," Isakawa spoke in a soft yet cold tone as his gaze also turned cold.

Riko: "Well, it's like an abandoned kingdom. And for the monsters, mostly undead beings and some other monsters."

"I'm so tired of talking..." Jennifer moaned the more she listens to this conversation the more she wants to just let the car trunk around and take them back home.

"Thanks for the information, Riko," Isakawa smiled at him.

"You're welcome," Riko smiled back.

"Do we get to take food into the Rift?" Shiro asked, hoping for them to say yes.

"...no" Riko looked at her sheepishly. An outburst of angry and outraged complaints broke out from the child.

"Howwwww??!! Why should we go into a Rift with no food?"

"This is so unfair,'' Shiro complained.

"Absolutely unacceptable. I refuse to go somewhere away from mummy and daddy with no macaroni and cheese," Shiro whined.

She has really been pampered, huh.

"Father, I agree with Shiro. What if I want ice cream?" Sheila wailed as she tugged her father. And Krumi nodded in agreement.

Riko: "My baby, don't worry once you're done with the games, Papa will buy you a lot of ice cream."

Shiro yanked her father's shirt lightly and asked him in a timid voice, "Daddy, would I really be alright?''

"Don't worry Shiro. you'll be fine," Isakawa answered her confidently.

"Sir, we've reached the Subaru Main House," the driver announced as the car stopped.

Shiro rolled down the window and popped her head out to see what he was talking about.

To her surprise they were in front of a large gate with a height of 20 feet. About how wide it was, she couldn't tell. But it felt like she was looking at a castle. Even from where she was, she couldn't see the house.

"Shiro, sit down," Jennifer ordered.

"Okay mummy." Shiro quickly closed the window as she sat down comfortably and laid on her mum's lap. The softest pillow there is.

The driver got out of the car and showed his face to Crystal Viewers. Rays of blue lights surrounded him as his face was quickly scanned with a holographic scanner.

A tick appeared on the Crystal Viewer's face and moved into the car through the open door of the driver's seat.

It bagan to scan everyone in the car and received a tick  and a green tick sign would appear on its face. Once it reached Isakawa and his family the Crystal Viewer paused for a while and scanned Isakawa and his family giving them a Tick.

"I guess they were actually expecting us." Isakawa said, amused.

The driver sat down in the car and drove them into the Subaru Household.

____________

"You finally came… Isakawa..." a man mumbled with an evil, grin on his face.

8