To Summon A Second Chance
41 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My name is Shunsuke Yamada, and I have given up on this world. Gazing out towards the bleak night, I feel like the stars are taunting me with their beauty. In a way, they're kind of a parallel of the society they shine their light to. A sea of miserable darkness, lit up by a few praised stars.

 Death - it's such a strange, surreal concept. One day, we're crying, laughing and living and the next day we're just gone. What happens when we die?

                It's a question a lot of religions have tried to answer, hoped to resolve through runes and rituals; I resent that. If there really was such an all-loving, all-seeing god, why has he let me suffer so much? It's like they designed my life to be the embodiment of karma's falsitude. Well, it's too late now. I never really was a philosopher, so maybe I'm just focusing on this train of thought to distract myself from the fact that my feet are currently inches away from plunging into the abyss.

                I shook my head. It's too late to come back now, and it's not like there's any way to get down from this roof regardless. Shivering in the cool air, I can't help but wish that things had been different. That I'd have been able to get a second chance. That I'd been born rich, attractive, powerful...

                For a second, my phone rings and the whole world grinds to a halt. That's really rare. It's uncomfortable to admit it but for me, receiving a phone call is always uncommon, especially after... that incident. Reaching into my pocket, I doubt that it'll be an actual call from a friend - maybe Kokoro, but that's unlikely. Probably just someone calling from work, or for a group project I forgot about, or someone from class asking for notes. Regardless, I can't help but feeling like, maybe this was a sign from God, that someone out there still needed me.

                "Unknown Number". God be damned. Of all times to receive a call from a scammer, why did it have to be now? If anything, it just strengthened my will to jump. There was no downside though, so I had a small plan. Picking up the phone, I remained silent as a heavily accented voice boomed from the phone. "We need you, please fal-" I threw the phone from the roof, glancing down for a second until it disappeared among the cars. And with that, I jumped.

                They say your life flashes before your eyes as you fall. For me, it was more like a photo album of my incoming death - Snap. My feet leaping from the cold stone. Snap. Soaring past the hundreds of glass-paned windows of boring office buildings. Snap. The busy road full of crawling traffic which would devour my corpse within seconds.

                And with those three fateful pictures, I, Shunsuke Yamada, ceased to exist.

===========================================================================

                "San-kang, is it working?" A deep but shaky voice appeared out of the darkness. Where...was I? Absorbed into a dark abyss, I couldn't feel anything at all.

                "I..." A perky voice trailed off, much higher than the masculine voice I'd heard previously.

                "It's growing... No way, it's actually growing."

                "That's impossible..."

                "If you've actually managed to do this, you'll be a hero far greater than even he will be."

                It was disorienting, the voices just echoing out of nowhere. Were they.. talking about me? I could feel something now. I couldn't see anything, but I could feel. I had a back, arms, the beginnings of legs; they were laying above a cheap blanket of some kind, based on the texture.

                "Kai, I'm genuinely a genius!" The more feminine voice boasted, and considering there were only two distinct voices, I'm guessing she's the San-Kang the male voice alluded to earlier. And that would make the next voice...

                "Whatever you say, we still need to see if he actually turns out like we're hoping, can't call it too soon." Kai responded, or at least, the voice I assume belongs to Kai. Kai sounds like a lot more of a normal name than San-Kang, but then again I can't make any comments about normality considering the absurdity of my current situation.

                My arms began to tingle. Where they should've been splattered on the pavement, they were now swinging, fully under my control. Simultaneously, I felt a surge of electrical activity throughout my legs as I kicked instinctively into the air.

                "Well, way to prove me wrong. Looks like he's actually alive and kicking.." Kai admitted, a mixture of disbelief and shock clouding his voice.

                "Please, come on! I know you can do it!" San-Kang urged, as if to encourage me to regain full consciousness and awaken. And so I did.

                The bright light seared into my eyes, an overwhelming barrage of sensations striking down against my mind as I struggled and failed to comprehend everything. All of a sudden, I could feel my lips, my fingers, my chest; but.. were they really mine? My body felt too muscular, my legs too long and my shoulders too broad.

                "You've... you've really done it."

                "Have I actually?"

                I gazed towards the figures, sitting upright and frantically noticing my surroundings. The light appeared to originate from the torches on the wall, which was made of pure brick, and there was a set of stairs in the background. From what I could tell, it looked like I was stuck in a cellar of some kind.

                Looking towards the two, I observed who I guessed to be San-Kang. Dressed in a vibrant red cloth with golden hems alongside wavy blonde hair, she reeked of wealth and prestige. A direct contrast to Kai, a tall and slender guy with messy blue hair and a tattered black shirt. As I tried to open my mouth for the first time in.. well, wherever this was, I was cut off by a loud, perky and ultimately triumphant voice.

                "I've done it. I've summoned the Sun King."

3