Chapter 6
330 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kabanata 6

Nightmare Core, also known as N-core, this crystal-like component is inside a Nightmare. This crystal was mostly ruby in color but sometimes, they were some that had different colors. As for their sizes, they differed based on the class of the Nightmare. The weaker it is, the smaller the N-core. 

N-core is the best fuel to increase the strength of an Arma and a Bestia. This gave them permanent energy that expanded their powers and caused them to class up. Although this energy was small, particularly tiny like bits. It had to take thousands to millions of N-cores to class up. 

As of now, Keenan was a Class-C Katana, he was an average Arma with no special remark. On top of that, he couldn't use his full power in this situation. His body couldn't endure the burden of Full Transformation. That's why he really needs his Handler right now. Carson would take half of the burden of Full Transformation and could easily finish these monsters. 

"It's a good thing that I had experienced fighting in my past life, or else I'm already dead."

His relentless conviction, his calm mind despite the danger, and his experience in fighting, all of them were from his past life when he was an assassin. If not for this, Keenan understood that he would surely be dead now. Most of the time, all he had to do was transformed into a Katana, and Carson would be the one to do the fighting, this was the usual way. This was actually his first time fighting without his Handler, it was a miracle that he survived. 

Keenan huffed as he slowly stood, his condition was better now. The sun started rising up, blinding him. Keenan Corragio withstood the pressure called 'barrage of monsters'. 

It was an impossible feat but Keenan did it. Fighting full night and swinging his blade, then snapping his fingers and injuring them, and taking the N-cores after. It was endless suffering, but one thing kept Keenan from moving. While he was in the middle of the battle, he always recalled the promise he made with his childhood friend.

Keenan continued advancing his feet as he remembered how he pathetically cried when she was adopted. He was happy for her, yet he felt lonely, it was contradicting. Every time he drained his strength, her innocent smile made him regained his inner resilience. It was a miracle how he survived the wasteland where dozens of Nightmares pounced on him to tear his flesh. 

If someone said that he survived in a night in Netherworld without his Handler, then they would say that he was bullshitting but not for Keenan. 

"Pfft-haha, even if I explained it to the other, they will never believe in me… unless they know my current status."

Keenan felt that he got stronger. He was clasping his hand and he knew that his strength increased. The multiple N-cores he took resonated in his body, making it obvious that he gained power. Keenan didn't know how he conquered the night. 

All he knew was that he was on his deathbed and ready to meet the grim reaper. But he kept swinging his blade and snapped his fingers like he was listening to jazz… okay, it was a strange description. Anyway, to make the story short, Keenan survived and killed many Nightmares leading him to become stronger. 

"Although I have to get wounded to do that…"

He sighed and touched his aching back, he was bitten many times and bled numerous moments. He persevered as he ate the N-cores. 

As time passed, he realized that he was getting stronger and he could fend the Nightmares well. Fortunately, the Nightmares that came at him were Class-C and lower. And all of them were Zvieras, a beast species that were controlled by their instincts. If the enemies were Class-C higher or from a different species, Keenan knew that he would surely die. 

"Now… it's good that I consumed many N-cores. My body is lighter and I didn't feel any hunger, even my injuries were gone."

A smile was written on his face. N-cores dissipated his tiredness but it had limitations. At best, he could walk 12 hours and not get tired. As for hunger, Arma and Bestia could eat N-cores and absorb nutrients from them. They won't be hungry and thirsty as long as they had N-core. 

Actually, Keenan stored half a pouch of N-cores in case that something happened. However, that pouch was in the mobileship and Keenan didn't have the time to get it. He thought that everything would be alright since they were now coming home, he lowered his defense. And now he was here, in this godforsaken land. 

"So it's useless anyway, I should have eaten those N-cores if I know that I will be stranded here."

Sounds of grinding came from his mouth, he was gritting his teeth in frustration. Keenan decided to stop his irritation, nothing would happen if he shouted and screamed in anger. Instead, he would bring attention because of that. Some Nightmares were awake in the day. 

"So, let's start this again."

Keenan looked at his body, his clothes were in tatters and holes were everywhere. Even his pouch had holes but was not destroyed. Thankfully, the picture was not ripped. 

He put the picture in his back pocket as he scanned the surrounding. The sound of growling and howling were gone and only the peaceful gusts of winds reverberated. Keenan felt the cold breeze, he steeled his expression and advanced. The memories he retained gave him the conviction. He had an awful life. But this time, even if the misfortune was in front of him, Keenan would sweep it away and continued trudging. 

"I will be strong in this life. I will make better choices and live my life. I may make heartless decisions but I will continue moving on, I will treasure my life."

He had a serious but gentle expression, his eyes were burning in passion. He clenched his fists and started moving his feet. The solid ground gave him the balance to walk. His pants juggled as the N-cores in his pockets grind with each other. Keenan had 7 N-cores that he didn't eat, it would be his lunch… 

These foods were from his sweat and blood, not literally but ironically. Well, he did spend his blood and sweat procuring these crystals. In fact, even his flesh was torn many times just to have them. So Keenan treated them like his treasure. Now he realized that finding food was difficult, especially in this wilderness. 

His lonely figure was stalked by the rising sun. Keenan only looked ahead, where the mobileship he believed was possibly at. 

13