Chapter 1: Life of Blem
127 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was, by goblin standards, the perfect day. Not too hot, not too cold, not too humid, not too dry, and most importantly not too sunny. Blem Rattlefoot wasn't too different from other goblins. Like other members of his species he preferred caves to houses. He also liked dining on mushrooms and lichens that grew in and around his cave. Also like other goblins he liked to collect trinkets. They never had any practical value, and most other species would regard it as rubbish but to Goblins these trinkets were priceless.

However, Blem was different from other Goblins in one key aspect. Solitude. Goblins were communal by nature, and they loved socializing with each other. Blem was an introvert amonst an entire race of extroverts though. He didn't hate other members of his species, as he would always insist, but rather he felt awkward communicating with others. So when he came of age he said his goodbyes and set off for the perfect abode. After many moons, many scary run ins with non-goblins, and many harsh seasons Blem found the perfect home. A small cozy cave far from civilization. It was tucked away in a clearing, and so far off the main roads and dirt paths that you would have to go out of your way just to come close to it, nevermind find it. Yet find it they did.

People from all walks of life often came to Blem's cave...and kicked his ass...repeatedly. It didn't matter what reason, for he heard them all. All that mattered was that they beat him, ruined his house, trampled his gardens, and scared his mice. It started small, peasants would come by and try to chase him off. When they realized he was harmless they left, and more often than not, made off with his boots. By now it had gotten ridiculous. Last week a demon lord and his harem came and rampaged through his damp abode looking for a 'Staff of Sublime Pleasure.' When Blem insisted they had the wrong place they proceeded to tie him up and spin him around for the better part of a day. A month before that a group of paladins stated coldly they were clearing evil from the cave. Luckily for Blem he wasn't born stupid like some of his other kin and took off before the head paladin could finish.

All Blem wanted was a peaceful month. A month where he could tend to the fungi, scrape off lichen, feed his mice, wear his boots, and sleep the day away without being harassed by other species. Of course this was not meant to be. Blem was doing his usual chores on this seemingly perfect day. As he folded his rags a gentle breeze blew into the mouth of the cave, carrying not only a nice wind, but also the sounds of dozens of hooves thundering towards Blem's cave.

"Oh no, oh boy, oh geez, I hope they don't beat me up too bad. I still gotta wash my pants later." Cautiously Blem waited outside the cave. He often found it was easier to just get it over with than fight or resist. After all if they just came to beat him or run him off he was a durable and quick fellow. But today something felt off, an uneasey feeling settled in Blem's stomach and made his knees tremble. As the hooves got closer he could hear the snorts and neighing of horses who had probably been on a long journey.

His suspicions were confirmed when the dirty horses and their haggard riders stopped a few yards short of the cave. When they removed their cloaks Blem could make out silvery platemail with metallic blue and gold inlay. Their horses wore barding which were mostly concealed by rich blue caparison1 Much like gambeson, caparison were padded cloth coverings, albeit made for horses coverings, each featuring heraldry depicting a dragon, its wings splayed out as it grasps a hamhock in one hand and a sword in the other.

"Can I help you fellas?" Blem replied trying to break the tension. It did not succeed and the men stared him down from beneath their closed helmets. Wordlessly the riders parted, their horses gracefully trotting aside despite their armor and their riders. When the crowd completely parted a regal looking woman and her large brutish companion walked towards the cave. By human standards she would be beautiful; bright pink locks of hair spilled out from under her golden crown inundated with many sapphires. Likewise her pretty face was one of subtly smug serenity, as though it were scuplted from marble. She wore an opulent deep blue gown with so much gems woven into it that she practically sparkled in the sunlight. Blem was overawed by the sheer amount of wealth she wore on her person.

In contrast her bodyguard was both shabby and fearsome. His face looked as though it were fashioned by a hatchet, and he seemed to sneer at everyone and everything whilst rubbing his one of his mutton chops. His armor was a dull blue with no gold inlay but plenty of scratches and dents attested to it's owner's experience in battle. He towered over his charge as they sauntered up to Blem, and now he doubly towered over Blem, casting a large shadow over the three foot tall goblin.

 

2