Ch.7  Burying Feelings
55 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To make my readers' experience better. I will be editing all my work. So, my posting schedule will be on hold.

***Jessie’s Pov***

Knock... Knock... Knock... Alarming. The sleepy figure curled up beneath a plush cover, softly groaning, patting her face. “Jes, are you up? Come down if you are.” Hearing Cher's raspy voice, as she stood outside her door. I wanted to hide in between the covers, sleeping for eternity.

What does Cher want? Isn’t she tired of me? Gazing at the door, playing with my fingers. Biting her lower lip, ruffling her frizzy curls. Glancing around her room, Cher’s footsteps faded. My phone on my nightstand rings. Picking it up and answering it. Peachy's concerned voice comes through. “Jessy, how are you? I tried calling, but it went straight to voicemail.” 

Instantly, imagining her anxiously twirling curly pink hair tapping on her fancy charcoal desk. Feeling horrible for ignoring her call after the total fiasco last night. Clenching on to my cell phone, debating whether to tell her everything. She already has enough on her plate. My petty problems aren’t worth burdening her.

“I’m doing fine. School’s been stressful, but not bad. Enough about me. How’s your restaurant doing? Is it too stressful? Are your employees listening to you?” Rambling out, not taking a breath. Holding my chest at how fast I spoke, when the other line went quiet.

Is Peachy overwhelmed by my concern? Is she annoyed by my questions? No... She is not that type of person. Especially after how she’s helped me get through my life. Not that I'll let her know. 

“Ju- Reme, Cosa hai detto?... Figlio di puttana! (What did you say?... Son of a bitch!)” Peachy’s Italian accent ranged out. Snapping me out of my daze, “We’ll discuss this later. I’m on the phone with my goddaughter.” Her lip curled up at the sound of laughter coming from Peachy's mouth.

 No one’s shown me this type of concern or priority before. “Jessy, are you still there? One of my workers had to relay some important information.” When I heard the door slam, eying myself in the mirror, seeing my smiling face.

“Yeah,” I said. Cursing myself for even a second, thinking of her that way. Sometimes, I wish Peachy was my mom. To live more freely, but life had other plans for me. As her sweet voice rang through my screen. Interrupting my intruding thoughts, even I wasn't aware of.

“Um, then how about you drop by my lovely restaurant when you’re free. Cuz, I miss cooking for my little Jessy and you sneaking the amaretti. (Sicilian cookie-Italy)” Pouting in disagreement.

“Momm- peachy, that’s so embarrassing don’t I’m almost 19-year-old. I didn’t steal those cookies. You had them on a plate and they were getting cold, so I had to eat them.” 

“Ugh -I’m gonna drop maybe with a friend or by myself.” Facepalming myself embarrassed by my lovely godmother and accidentally calling her mom. Wasn’t I too impulsive? Why I’m overthinking it? I'm her daughter!

“Sure, Jessy, I love teasing you as you remind me of someone I used to know. Wearing his heart on his sleeve, a little too trusting. I would’ve loved to introduce him to you and his lover. But, sadly…” Sniffing sounds in the background. I had the urge to pat her back and see if she’s okay. 

“Nah, maybe it’s for the best, don't mind this old lady’s ramblings. Anyway, how are your parents doing? I've seen them since I was teaching them a few years ago.” Frowning, hearing the word ’parents’. Clenching my jaw as my mouth moves on its own.

“Peachy, you’re not old, you're only thirty-five. On another note, my parents are just traveling and stuff. No need to worry yourself, they're old enough to at least care for themselves.” My hand quickly covered my mouth. The phone line went quiet, then a peachy calm voice boom out. Damn it!

“Jessie, why’s their bitterness in your voice? When you talk of your parents, you know I'm here for you, Right? Over the years, I’ve wondered why I never see you guys together as a family, but I tried to ignore it. It wasn’t my place to assume things. Cara Mia,(my dear) tell me the truth or I'll figure my way.” Her Italian accent coming through. 

 Causing my hands to sweat from her potential questions thrown at fragile old me. My big mouth always ends up getting into trouble. Thinking of how to answer her without saying too much. When a light bulb lit in my head, I got it!

“Peachy, I know you care for me and all. But, I didn't want to burden you with my problems. My parents and relationship haven't been good for a while.” Hard breathing from another line, making my hair strands stand up. My sweet peachy had quite a temper reminiscent of my Cher- I meant Cherry. Giggling at the thought of Cherry swinging the broom threatened Sarah, who was partially naked. 

“Jessy, what are you laughing about? Nothing you said was a laughing matter. Do you need me to see a doctor?” Getting up off the floor, placing it back onto my ear. Peachy irritated voice came through. I know I messed up big time. Darn Cherry makes me laugh!

“No! I was just thinking of someone,” I hurriedly explained, gesturing my hands. Like she was in my room, and I'm pleading my case.

“Hum, we’ll talk about that someone when I see you. Continue.” I roll my eyes at her bossy but concerning words. Ignoring her on meeting Cherry in the future. We aren't even dating. Why did I even mention Cher? Ugh.

“I’ve realized over the years I'll just be the kid they had and ended up regretting it. Their affection has to be used for me anymore. I'm happy to have you as my family.” Truthfully to her. Skimming over my traumatic childhood and recent experience. Wiping my hands on my tissue on my nightstand. 

“Me too. Do you have any other family members you know of?” Shook my head, sighing. If I did, I would've left that hell hole.

“None I recall of. We’ve lived in the same house for years, except for when they travel for work. I heard them talking of moving farther away, or something. I can’t fully remember it.” Annoyed with me for not knowing my other family. Are they nice, like peachy or not? Scared to even meet anyone new that can hurt me more.

“Ok, that’s fine. Call me if anything strange happens, okay.” Typing on a keyboard at a fast pace as she talked. What’s peachy doing? Please, universe or anything, let nothing happen to my only family. My heart won’t be able to bear any more loss.

“Sure, bye.” Softly muttered out, staring at my reflection in my mirror.

“Ciao! Mahwah!” Saying her goodbyes, hanging up. When Juan's name pops up. Clicking on it, I saw a message from a minute ago. Texting back. Slouching against my headboard, ignoring my rumbling stomach. I’ll eat later, okay belly.

Juan- Jes, are you feeling better? I didn’t see you at school.

Jes- Yeah, I'm taking some time off. Thanks for yesterday.

Juan- No problem. Friends look out for one another.

Jes- Friends. Then count me in on watching your back. Lol.

Juan- I'll hold to your word. I gotta go talk to you later.

My lip curled up at Juan's words, thinking back to his quiet self when I met him. He’s gotta be the best friend I’ve ever had, except for Amora. Speaking of a perverted devil, my phone rings. Her name pops up onto my screen, putting it to my ear to answer it.

“Jessy, I heard from Juan you weren’t feeling well. Are you feeling better?” Rubbing my growling belly. I gotta eat after I finish this call. 

“Mmh, a bit. Still don’t wanna go to school yet.” Shivering at the thought of stepping into that man’s class again. The thought of facing her crush seemed better at this moment. 

“Lucky you, Mr. Milano’s been driving me insane looking at your seat and asking where you’re at. But his creepy ass got nothing out of me, ugh. We should transfer classes before you come back. Shit! He’s back gotta go. Love and kisses.”

“Bye, call you later!” Dashing off into her bathroom to get feel better by herself. Leaving her phone on her bed. Taking a quick shower, throw on my hoodie, and striding out the door. Preparing to eat my fill knowing Cher can throw it down in the kitchen. Licking my lips to what’s coming.

Spotting the plate of eggs and pineapple juice on the table, glancing at Cher. Sitting at the table staring my way, walking over to me. Curling her lips in her signature smile, but it was different. I just can’t put my finger on it in front of me.

Awkwardly smiling at her, she speaks up first. “Jes, I made this five-star breakfast for you. As an apology for my immature behavior-” Interrupting Cher, shaking head. Waving her off, smiling at her, 

“It's fine you didn’t have to. I’m used to it.” Cher’s eyebrow arches at her words, pushing her hand down. Staring into my eyes, shocked by my casual words. Did I say anything wrong? 

“Well, you don't have to be anymore. I promise to never bring girls into our place and never let you get hurt again. Friends.” Placing her arm on my shoulder, seriously eying me, sticking out her pinky finger.

“Friends. Let’s eat. My belly misses your food.” Linking our pinky finger, Cher’s calluses felt rough like my sperm donor. Weird? My sperm donor always shot targets late at night, when they thought I was asleep. I’m overreacting again. Cher’s a high school student, maybe she hunts or something.

“You’re such a foodie, ya know.” Cher’s sultry voice knocks her out of her daze. Rolling my eyes at her, I feel better than before. Tilting my head her way, acting silly.

I poke my tongue out, swaying to the table, slamming my butt into the chair. Laughter erupting into the entire room. Maybe being friends isn’t too bad? 

Ignoring the stinging sensation in my heart, eying Cher’s who’s acting her crazy self, cursing in Spanish.

Note to self learn more words than curse words.

 

A/N: Hope you enjoyed reading. I’m really falling deeper in love with this story. I can’t wait to see where this story goes. <3

 

 

5