Chapter 17 – The Hounds
469 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Hounds were a group of elite fighters who served as Elder Crown's bodyguards and enforcers. They were specially trained to deal with all kinds of types of psychic monsters and they were known for their incredible strength and speed. Miss Planner's assistant Black Wolf was working hard to earn his stripes so he could become one of them.

"Hurry up! It's starting to get dark."
"Yes, sir."
"Hound One, keep your eyes peeled. We're close."

The team of warriors was in the deserted warehouse district, deep inside Cut Throat territory. An enormous psychic monster made of sludge was tearing through the Cut Throats' Nuke manufacturing centers, and the Hounds were sent out to take care of it. Elder Crown wanted the beast captured alive, if possible.

"We're really close now. I can feel it. Do you sense its aura?"
"This thing is strong. We need to be careful. Hound Five, take point right here. Everyone else, follow me. We're going inside."
"Hound Two, start the count."
"Ready? Three... two... one..."
"Now!"

A loud explosion shook the building, creating a massive hole in the roof. Black Wolf jumped into the darkness, followed by the rest of the Hounds. The room they entered was dripping from floor to ceiling with black, oily liquid that smelled like rotten milk.

"There's a big crack in the wall. It looks like the Sludge Monster is coming this way."
"Let's move. Keep formation. I want everyone ready to fight at a moment's notice."

Hound Zero led the pack deeper into the dark warehouse, while the others spread out around him. The Hounds moved quickly but kept alert for enemies or traps that might lie ahead. Black Wolf was in charge of the rear guard.

"I'm getting a really bad feeling about this."
"Keep moving. Don't stop until you hear my signal. Understood?"
"Yes, sir."
"Okay, let's go. Stay sharp."

The Hounds continued forward without hesitation, but Black Wolf suddenly stopped. He stared intently at the ground with a look of deep concentration on his face.

"What's wrong, Black Hound? Did something happen back there?"
"He's behind us now. I can sense him."

"I can feel him too."
"Hounds, turn around. Get him! Go!"

Hound Zero and his men turned on their heels to confront the enemy, but Black Wolf's warning came too late. A huge mass of dark slime burst out of a nearby wall and charged right for them. The Hounds tried to dodge, but it was no use. Their speed and agility were useless against the sludge monster's overwhelming power.

"Gah!" "Ngh!" "Urgh!"

Black Wolf pulled off a desperate maneuver and threw himself to the side. He rolled across the floor as he dodged the creature, which smashed into the walls and exploded in all directions. Hound Zero, Hound One, and Hound Four were all helplessly pinned down to the ground by a mass of weighty goo.

"Rrrrrghhh..."

"Get off! Help me!"
"It's not working! I'm stuck!"
"My leg is broken!"

The monster was clearly visible now. It looked more like an evil spirit than any type of living being. It was an enormous human-shaped mass of black waste that oozed along the warehouse's floor, leaving a trail of thick, gloppy fluid. The Hounds struggled to get free from its enormous hands, but the monster was relentless. The thing kept attacking them over and over, smashing their bodies into the floor with each hit. Its strength and speed were simply inhuman.

"Gggrrrrrggghhh!"

"Hound Two! Get his arm!"
"Please..."
"Help me! Someone help me!"
"I'm sorry... I couldn't protect you..."

The pinned Hounds' cries echoed through the building. Their teammates tried to rescue them, but the monster shrugged off their psychic attacks and punished them for their recklessness with a cruel swipe of its claw. It crushed Hound One's head like a watermelon, then ripped the remaining Hounds in its grasp limb from limb. Hound Two and Hound Four were utterly demoralized. They knew it was hopeless. The sludge monster slowly started to swallow Hound Zero's corpse whole. Its body glimmered like the surface of an oil slick.

"There's nothing we can do, guys. We're done for."
"No way. I'll hold it back for a bit. The rest of you, get out of here."

"You're crazy, Black Hound! We can't leave you behind. You'll be killed!"
"We can't all get away. You two are more valuable than me."

"You don't have to do this, Black Hound. Just run. Please."
"I'm not going anywhere. If you're still with me, then you're staying, too. I'm not running."

Hound Two and Hound Three reluctantly left Black Wolf to his fate. They didn't want to abandon him, but they had no choice if they wanted to survive. Black Wolf was alone with the monster now. He prepared himself for the toughest fight of his life.

"Rrrrrrgghhhhh..."
"Heh. This is getting exciting."

The slimy black mass shifted around and stared at Black Wolf with its glowing red eyes.

"Uuuurrrrgghhhhhh..."
"Is that a smile I see?"

Black Wolf took a step forward, and the sludge monster's body began to move. It lunged at him with its arms outstretched. Black Wolf barely dodged the attack, but the monster pulled back and threw him into the wall. Black Wolf grunted as he picked himself up. He was dazed, but his mind remained sharp.

Black Wolf stepped forward again and braced himself. The monster swung its arm down, ready to smash Black Wolf's skull. The blow connected with a sickening crunch. Then, the beast brought its mighty fist up once more. The limp and broken Black Wolf rolled out of the way just before he was flattened.

"Gah... gah... gah... rrrggh..!"
"Are you trying to say something? I don't understand you. Is that a laugh?"

Black Wolf's face twisted in pain as he fought to stay conscious. The black mound of filth moved toward him with slow, deliberate steps. Its dark slime dripped down its legs and oozed across the floor.

"Gah... gah... gaaaahhhh..."
"It's you, isn't it? I knew it was you. I've been looking for you everywhere."

The creature's breath was so foul that Black Wolf couldn't stand the stench any longer, and he quickly turned away to avoid inhaling its poisonous fumes.

"Gahhhhh! Gah... gah... rrrrrghhh... rrggh..."
"Are you going to show me your real body or not?"

The sludge monster stopped moving. It stood there silently for several seconds before the black mud that made up its body started to fall off in thick strips like wet paper. A horrible stench filled the room, and Black Wolf's stomach clenched with revulsion.

Within the mound of waste was a skeletally thin man with pale skin that looked like it had never seen sunlight. His long dark hair hung limply over his bony shoulders. He was wearing a tattered pair of black jeans and an old leather jacket that was too large for him. Of course, he was entirely soaked from head to toe in disgusting black sludge. The strange, skinny man was laughing.

"Hahaha! Cough! Hahahahaha! Ha ha ha! Dear leader! Brother Wolf! What a true pleasure to see you again! Hahaha! Cough! Cough!"
The sound of his laughter was like the dry crackle of burning leaves. Black Wolf watched him with a mixture of disgust and fear.

"You look like you've seen better days, Death Smoke."
Black Wolf slowly got to his feet. He wasn't sure how much strength he had left, but it would have to be enough. His mind felt strangely numb.

"Hah.... grrrgh. Cough. I'm disappointed... in you, dear leader. I never thought you'd join forces with the Chosen fools. Cough."
Death Smoke kept his distance, wheezing uncontrollably as he spoke. The man's voice sounded weak, frail, almost pathetic. Black Wolf crossed his arms.

"That's right, Death Smoke. I'm a Chosen One now. The Chosen Ones are going to conquer the world."
"Hah... hmmph. You're still such a child at heart, Brother Wolf. Cough. Cough... haaa... your Chosen fools are nothing compared to me. I can destroy them all with a single touch! And you, my friend... you have nowhere left to run... grrrgghh... cough... time to die, stupid Wolf."

'Filth Spray.'

Death Smoke lifted his arm and a wave of yellow liquid shot out towards his former friend, but Black Wolf threw himself to the ground and rolled away, dodging the attack. The corrosive substance ate away at the floor beneath their feet.

"Cough. Cough. Cough... ahhh, you always did get under my skin, dear leader... haaa... haa... haaaa..."

Black Wolf stared at Death Smoke's emaciated body. It was obvious that this guy had been through hell. His eyes narrowed as he looked at the man who was once his closest ally.

"I know you're still angry about the way we left things in the past, but killing me won't change anything."
"Hah... cough. Hahaha! Don't tell me you've lost your edge, Brother Wolf. Cough. Cough..."

"I lost. Let's end it here, Death Smoke."
"Cough. Cough. Cough. Fine. I don't care anymore... haaa..."

Black Wolf took a step forward. He was completely exhausted and his limbs trembled as he fought against the urge to fall to the floor.

"Do you want to know why I joined the Chosen Ones, Death Smoke?"
Black Wolf paused for a moment, and Death Smoke laughed. His laughter sounded like he was choking to death.
"Rrrrgghh. Haha... cough. Please! I'm curious now. Cough. Ha. Haaaa."

"It's a funny story. I'll make it quick. Do you remember when you were in the Animal Brotherhood? How we used to fight over everything?"
"Cough. Ha. Yes, of course."

"Yeah. Well, that was fun. But then you and your friends decided to leave and join up with the Wild Cards. So the rest of us had to go on the run."
Black Wolf's voice sounded weak, like he was fighting to stay conscious. He knew he couldn't hold out much longer.
"Hahaha! Ha. Hahaha. Cough. Hahahaha! Grrrrghhhhhh!"

"It was tough living on the streets. One day, I realized something. I'd be dead sooner or later if I didn't find some good people to join up with. And it made sense to me to go with the strongest group around."
"Very rational... grrrghhh..."

"So I left the rest of the Brotherhood behind and joined the Chosen Ones. And I met someone who changed my life. Someone like you, Death Smoke. A woman with a cold mind and a beautiful smile. She promised me that one day, the Chosen Ones would rule the world. That's what she said to me..."
"Ha... ha... cough! Cough! She sounds... like quite a woman! Ahaha!"

"She's not just a pretty face. She can do things no one else can. You should meet her. Just talk to her, one time. I think you're really going to like her."

10