Chapter 48 – The Selfish Man
188 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A selfish man lived in an apartment with his sister. She got up early every morning to go to work while he slept in. Before she left, she would always wake him up and tell him she loved him, but he never said it back because he thought she was annoying.

The selfish man's sister worked very hard to pay the rent and buy food for both of them, but he refused to find a job himself. He spent most of his time wandering around downtown with a case of beer in his arm and a cigarette in his mouth, looking for trouble. He loved nothing more than picking fights with people who annoyed him. He would beat them unconscious and take all of the money they were carrying, then go waste it on more cigarettes and alcohol.

One day, the selfish man was wandering from park to park and street to street, but he couldn't find anyone to entertain himself with. To make matters worse, he was out of smokes and had no more money to buy more. He decided to head home and ask his sister to give him some money.

As he was walking home, the selfish man took a shortcut through a secluded alley and found a hand-rolled cigarette lying on the ground. After looking up and down the alley to make sure no one was watching, he picked it up and put it in his mouth with a sly grin. As he was about to light it, he heard a buzzing noise and looked down.

An unusually large insect with bulging red eyes crawled around his foot. The selfish man crushed it with his shoe and smirked.

"Lousy bug. Everything and everyone that annoys me should just die."

He lit the cigarette with a flick of his wrist and took a long drag. The taste was strange, almost chemical. After walking a few more paces, he felt dizzy and his eyesight began to blur. The selfish man sat down and stared emptily up at the smoggy Grandebelle sky. Once he got used to the sensation, a peaceful calmness washed over him. He felt like he was floating.

"I feel... different."

The whole world looked different. It was as if he could see into the very essence of people and things. The selfish man saw a cloudy blue aura surrounding his body that was growing in intensity. At the edge of his vision, he saw a bright orange cloud surrounding a cat. The cat was scouting out the surroundings with its whiskers and paws, ready to pounce at anything that moved. The cat's aura was dazzling, with veins of red and yellow dancing around it.

The selfish man got up and looked around. Just across the street, he saw a purple aura surrounding a stocky bald man sitting and drinking alcohol on a street corner. Dots of different colors surrounded people, birds, dogs, cats, even buildings and rocks. The colors swirled and morphed from one hue to another.

"What's happening? What's going on?"

The selfish man rubbed his eyes, but when he opened them again he saw the same thing. He concentrated on his own aura. It was getting stronger and stronger, pulsing with his heartbeat. Just as he was about to lose himself in the bizarre phenomenon, a wave of nausea swept over him and the aura disappeared. The world looked dull, colorless again.

The selfish man could hear his own breathing and footsteps as he walked down the street. He had finally found something more interesting than drinking or picking fights with homeless people. Through trial and error, he slowly learned how to control his new power. By controlling his aura, the selfish man was able to change his body and mind in all kinds of interesting ways.

The selfish man got home late, and his sister noticed he was in an unusually good mood. He refused to tell her what happened and threatened to kill her if she didn't mind her own business. The next morning, she woke him up and told him she loved him, and he ignored her like usual.

The selfish man changed his eyes so he could see aura more easily. He made his arms longer and stronger to make him better at fighting, and he made his mind sharper and clearer. He started to use his powers to steal from his neighbors. He started to kill people who annoyed him. He started to love his new life as a monster.

One night the selfish man went out for a walk after breakfast, wearing sunglasses to cover his bulging red eyes. He walked through the streets of Grandebelle and found a woman who annoyed him. The selfish man followed the woman to where she lived. As soon as he caught up with her, he transformed his hand into a spike and plunged it straight into her skull. He changed his mouth into a huge beak and ate her brain out of the hole in her head. He stole everything useful from inside her house and carried all the loot home in his long, skinny arms.

The selfish man slept very well that night. He was happy. There seemed to be no limit to what he was capable of. In his dreams, he flew around the city snatching people up with his claws and eating them alive like an enormous killer bird.

The selfish man woke up very late the next day. His sister had left him a note and some money. He tore up the note without reading it and put his shoes on. He felt his skin crawl with excitement. Today was going to be big. He was going to push himself to the limit and change his body in ways he'd never tried before. After enjoying a drink and a smoke, the selfish man ran out into the street with a smile on his face, changing his body every few steps.

5