Chapter 59 – The Ridiculous Man
182 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A ridiculous man returned to Grandebelle after a long absence. He was a short, muscular man with dark hair and a ridiculous smile permanently affixed to his face. He hated the city of Grandebelle but convinced himself to return after many years away for some absurdly silly reason. He rented a cheap apartment in the slums where he kept his furniture sparse and his blinds closed.

The ridiculous man slept all day and looked for trouble all night. He refused to get a job because he was far too busy having fun. He lived off of savings for a while then asked his sister for money when he ran out. She was used to his ridiculous ways and simply sent him a check every month as long as he continued to stay out of her hair. His best friend tried to convince him to get a job, but he just laughed the suggestion off like it was the most idiotic thing he'd ever heard. He only had so much time in this world, and he refused to spend it doing something sensible.

The ridiculous man was a complete and utter fool. He had no idea how lucky he was to have what he had or how easy things could be for him if he just took a little bit of responsibility every now and then. He lacked the maturity to improve his station in life and was perfectly content with where he was. The Pit was his playground, and he had no intention of ever growing up.

Most people who came to Grandebelle ended up leaving. The Pit was a noisy, dirty place filled with harsh realities, and those who stayed were often consumed by hopelessness the moment their fragile dreams were shattered. The ridiculous man came back to the most illogical place in the world, filled with irrational confidence that he would accomplish something important. He was very careful when he first arrived to not stand out and draw attention to himself, but he was far too ridiculous to go unnoticed for long.

The children in the apartment complex were afraid of the ridiculous man but the adults found him amusing. Even though he acted like he had some sort of mental disorder, he was good-natured and blessed with a kind heart. No one understood why he was the way he was, not his best friend, not even his sister, but everyone loved him anyway. He was a welcome distraction in a city with very little to smile about, always laughing to himself about something and he loved talking with people about their troubles and laughing at their misfortunes. He had a charm about him that drew people to him and made them want to overlook his strange ways. Indeed, he got along well with just about everyone who took the time to get to know him, except for the little boy next door who he had a running feud with.

Unfortunately, the ridiculous man had way too much time on his hands and often found himself bored out of his mind with nothing to do. He spent countless hours lounging around at the park, drinking with friends, meditating in his room, bothering his neighbors, or sitting on his balcony staring off into space. From his small, dirty apartment in the slums, he looked out at the city and began contemplating his own existence. The city's lights shined like jewels, and the people bustled around purposefully. The ridiculous man imagined what life would be like if he was part of this orderly procession of functional adults. He envisioned a future where he was a normal person living a normal life, and almost forgot that he was just a silly little clown, a wayward fool, doomed to die in his tiny box of an apartment without accomplishing anything useful or being remembered by anyone.

If only he could just fit in and live a normal life like everyone else.

Every night, the lights of the city dimmed and he was left alone in the darkness with his thoughts. Unable to bear his loneliness, the ridiculous man wandered off into the Pit, not knowing what else to do with himself.

The man longed for someone to talk to or something to do. There were no friends for the clown, and nothing in the Pit could match his wit. Out of sheer boredom, he made a hobby out of tormenting and terrorizing criminals. He would randomly wander through Grandebelle's streets and alleyways, starting fights with the biggest and toughest-looking people he could find.

The ridiculous man stood a full foot shorter than most of the men he picked fights with and only carried a meager switchblade for a weapon, but his strange antics and general unpredictability made him a dangerous opponent. He grew stronger with every victory, and before long, he was powerful enough to take on dozens of people at once. Even when surrounded, he laughed and smiled like a loon while cutting people apart.

The gang leaders in the ridiculous man's area of activity eventually started organizing efforts to kill the little clown, but their efforts always failed. Standing on top of the bodies of his enemies, the ridiculous man would laugh and clap his hands like a child, absorbing their psychic power and becoming even more dangerous.

Things continued in this fashion for a while. The ridiculous man surrendered himself completely to a never-ending cycle of violence and bloodshed, a game of hunting and being hunted that promised to bring him eternal fun. The Pit's little clown put on an amusing performance every night and slowly built up an audience of admirers, some of whom followed in his example and put on grisly performances of their own. A community of absurd entertainers was established, dedicated to bringing smiles and laughter to the residents of the Pit.

5