Chapter 61 – Confrontation at the Tower
233 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Five Elders were gathered around a long table in a conference room at the Tower of the Chosen, arguing with each other loudly. They were caught up in a fiery debate about how best to deal with the Chosen Ones' newest enemy, a mysterious man known as Psydeath.

The Chosen rank-and-file were obsessed with Psydeath. They couldn't seem to get enough of talking about him. Psydeath did this, Psydeath did that. Some said he was the strongest psychic in human history. Others claimed he was an agent of the Devils of Evil or the Wild Cards. Many of them were certain that he was one of the Chosen Elders in disguise. Rumors and tall tales about the strange and powerful man were spreading like crazy all over Grandebelle.

Although they each possessed many lifetime's worth of wisdom, the Elders were just as susceptible to Psydeath's cult of personality as the rest of the Chosen Ones, perhaps even moreso. The grumpy old men had little contact with the outside world and were always looking for new sources of amusement to distract themselves with. The mysterious and powerful new threat to the Chosen Ones offered a welcome opportunity for drama and excitement in their stagnant, boring little lives.

"That damn Psydeath! He's out there somewhere," snarled Elder Crown. "We need to find him before he destroys everything we've built! As soon as we know where he is... my Hounds will send him straight to hell!"

"The Book of Prophecy has foretold of Psydeath's arrival for centuries," said Elder Omen with solemnity. "He is described as a false savior, a demon that feeds on the flesh of the Chosen."

"He's an upstart. He needs to be crushed!" shouted Elder Crown. "Miss Planner's skinny lackey wasn't up to the task. Now it's up to us!"

"Drifter will take his body! Drifter will take his powers!" screeched Elder Drifter.

"Heheh. I'm not sure your powers will be enough, Drifter," said Elder Incarnate with a sly smirk. "Why don't I go handle him? It would be no challenge at all. I could trap his soul in this gem and bring it back here in under an hour."

As he spoke, Elder Incarnate reached into his black robe and pulled out a beautiful black gemstone wreathed in an otherworldly red glow. He held it out in front of his chest with pride, obliviously trying and failing to impress his fellow Elders.

"Bah. You wouldn't be able to catch him. He's a slippery devil," spat Elder Crown.
"My powers are far stronger than yours, old fool," replied Incarnate with a sharp glare. "Maybe to prove it, I should trap YOU in this gem!"

"Incarnate, put that away!" shouted Elder Presence with a hint of impatience. "We need to solve this issue with Psydeath like civilized men!"

"Eeeeh! Drifter will become the new PSYDEATH! Bow down to Drifter!"

"Enough of this! Drifter, cease this foolishness at once!"
"Drifter, you little pest! Let go of my hair!"
"Hahaha! Drifter has spirit, doesn't he? He won't fail us! Go capture Psydeath! Don't come back until you do!"
"You fool! Don't you dare let him out of the Tower! Drifter! Get back here!"
"This is pathetic."
"You crazy old bat! Let go of my cane!"
"Eeeeeeehhh!"
"STOP!"
"No! Let go!"
"Khhkhh! Let Drifter go!"
"I've had enough! Incarnate, I'm warning you for the last time!"
"Your behavior is inappropriate for a leader of the Chosen! Stop acting like an animal and return to your seat!"
"Let go of my cane this instant! I'll have no more of this!"
"Ha! Now we can finish this."
"Don't touch me! Get your hands off of me, you scrawny rat! Or I'll kick you into submission!"

The usually timid Elder Presence was shaking his fists and yelling at Elder Crown who in turn was screaming at Incarnate. Elder Drifter was on the floor, wailing and thrashing about. Elder Incarnate had a tight grip on the apelike man's ankle and was dragging him along the room, trying to get his cane back from him. Elder Crown was attempting to pull Incarnate away from Drifter, but he was far too weak, weaker even than Incarnate's little dog Raider. Elder Omen would have joined in too if he wasn't completely blind. Instead, he just sat at the table with a nasty look on his face, shaking his head and murmuring about fools under his breath.

The bickering between Elders had reached new heights. As immature as the old men were, it was exceedingly rare for them to physically attack one another. But something about the Psydeath situation drove them over the edge. They weren't using their full strength on one another, but they were giving the fight their all.

Elder Incarnate's legs kicked and flailed wildly as he tried to free himself from Elder Crown's feeble grasp. Elder Drifter crawled around underneath the conference table and got to his feet with surprising speed, wobbling unsteadily. Elder Presence stepped in and began to apply some physical force to the skinny little man as well, but Drifter, by now quite sweaty, was able to slip free before long. He ran out the conference room door holding Elder Incarnate's cane like a trophy, shrieking at the top of his lungs.

"Eeeeeeeeh!"
"Ah!"

Elder Drifter didn't make it far. He slammed into the tiny Miss Planner, knocking her to the ground.

"Oogh... is that... Miss Planner?"
"Ow ow ow. Elder Drifter, where are you going in such a rush? The meeting hasn't started yet."

After the shock of the moment wore off, Miss Planner's employee Erica ran up to help her to her feet.

"Are you okay, Miss Planner? He ran into you face first!"
"I'm fine. Elder Drifter, what's going on?"
"Drifter... hates Elder Incarnate! Drifter took his cane... stole it! Now Drifter will take the body of Psydeath for himself!"

"Oh, dear. Won't you listen to my presentation before you go, Drifter?" said Miss Planner with a soft sigh.

Erica noticed her attitude towards the dirty little man was strangely warm, almost maternal. Drifter quickly glanced away with his head down, feeling self-conscious. Miss Planner took his head and examined it.

"Please don't sulk. Are you alright? Here, let me check your forehead."
"Drifter is sorry... Drifter hurt Miss Planner. Drifter will be good."

"I know you would never mean to hurt me. You're a gentle soul, aren't you, Drifter?"
"Yes... Drifter is kind... and wise, like the Sages..."

"It looks like you're alright. Just a little bump. Nothing a little bit of sleep won't fix. Let's go back to the conference room, okay? Mean old Elder Incarnate won't hurt you anymore while I'm there."
"Yes... Drifter will go."

Miss Planner dusted herself off and took Elder Drifter's bony hand in her own. It seemed as though the Elders were especially agitated today. It was partially her own fault for not giving them anything fun to do, she supposed.

4