Chapter 77 – Birthing Pains
204 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You're lucky I happened to see you lying on the side of the road there. They just ripped your chest open and threw you away like a broken toy. What kind of sicko would do something like that? It must've been someone who really hated you."

"Ahhh..."

"It would be nice if you could talk. It gets so lonely around here. I just work and work and work... it's nice to have someone to talk to every now and then. At least you're a good listener."

"Haah. Haaah... ugh."

"Don't worry about talking too much. You'll get used to the voice box eventually."

"Ah."

"Do you like my office? I'm the Chosen Ones' general manager. Yep. I'm a very capable person. I'm in charge of making sure everything around here gets done right. And you're going to help me. That's why I'm helping you."

"Ahhh. Ah."

"Do you know about the Chosen Ones? Hehe. The Chosen Ones are dedicated to spreading happiness and spiritual well-being all throughout the world. We're a pretty unique group of people. Before I became a Chosen One, I was the manager at a bank... do you want to see my plaque? I'm a 'Young Business Leader.' That's why they put me in charge here. I have a proven track record of success. And I'm going to make the Chosen Ones more successful than ever before."

"Nnnngh."

"I love what I do. I keep everyone here motivated and focused on the big picture. My employees love me. They respect and trust me. I'm a leader and a role model. They follow my lead. And I guide them. And I care about them. Do you think that sounds like a fun job?"

"Hah."

The blonde girl wearing a black blazer over a white blouse and a skirt had a mysterious, calm smile. She was sitting in a big leather chair and typing away on a keyboard while idly chatting to her new human puppet. The puppet in question wasn't capable of much beyond groaning to show it was listening. The little blonde girl didn't seem to mind, though. She just kept talking.

"I bet you're curious how your new body works. I put your soul inside a special psychic tool that can mimic the functions of the human body! Once you've mastered all its capabilities, you'll be nearly indistinguishable from a real person. Oh... I didn't mean to say you're not a real person anymore. Just that you're a different type of person."

"Haah. Nnnn."

"I know you probably wish you were still in your original body. Well, I have some bad news. I'm sorry, but you can't go back. But I took plenty of photos to use as reference material. It won't be long before you look the same as you used to... or, if you'd prefer, I can make you look any way you want. Hehehe."

"Ah."

"I can't wait to learn all about you. I'm sure you lived a very interesting life."

"Ngh."

"I hope you're not angry with me for doing this to you. I didn't have any bad intentions. I just wanted to help you. I didn't want to see you to die in such a pathetic way. I'm so glad I was able to save you."

"Urgh."

"Whew. It was nice talking to you today. I'm going to put you to sleep now... and I'll be back tomorrow morning."

"Ugh. Uuugh."

The little blonde girl made her puppet a bed out of blankets on the floor of her office and tucked him in. She stroked his chest gently and brought her face close to his. He squirmed a bit.

"Good night."

"Ah."

'Soul Snake.'

The puppet felt his thoughts slow to a crawl. His new master turned the lights off and left him alone in her office. He laid still in the darkness, trying to understand what had happened to him. He couldn't see and he couldn't fall asleep no matter how hard he tried.

"Who am I? What's going on?"

He didn't understand.

"Why is it so hard to move? Who is that strange little girl? What's wrong with my voice? Am I... back in the Well's Creek Behavioral Health Center? Something doesn't feel right."

Slowly, pieces started coming together in his mind. He remembered who he was. 

"I am... Ghost Wolf. I created the Animal Brotherhood. But the Brotherhood... doesn't exist anymore. Where am I? Why can’t I move? I don't understand... anything."

'They ripped your chest open and threw you away like a broken toy.'

'I put your soul inside a special psychic tool that can mimic the functions of the human body!'

'I'm so glad I was able to save you.'

"No... no. Is that even possible? This isn't right. This is a hallucination... or a dream. I'm dreaming..."

His throat hurt. It had a cold, empty feeling. No, not an empty feeling. An unfilled hollowness. A horrible hollowness that encompassed his entire being.

"Grrgh. Nnnngh. Haa. Ha. Haha. Grrghoh. Wooah. Ghoooh. Woooah. Goooooh. Woooaagrggh."

The puppet with the soul of an evil man trapped inside it creaked and moaned all throughout the night.

5