Chapter 86 – Wiseman
175 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Now that we've visited Leland in the security division and Michael in human resources, it's time for that big surprise I've been telling you about. We're going to the tenth floor to see a very special person. This person is so special, in fact, that his very existence is a carefully controlled secret, known only to a select few. We would appreciate your discretion after this visit, and we will have to ask you to sign a nondisclosure agreement after we take you in to see him."

"Who are we going to see?" asked the heavy-set Rubin, his face shining with sweat. The temperature in the polished black elevator dropped as it slowly moved through the building, the people packed inside nervously exchanging glances.

Miss Planner's lips turned up in a small, secretive smile. "All I can tell you is that he's a great man. Not many people get to meet him, but the people who do never forget it."

"Hm. This is a lot of build-up. I wonder what she's got in store for us."
"Is he the founder of the company?"
"Maybe..."

The elevator doors opened with a chime, and Miss Planner swept out into the tenth-floor hallway. "Here we are! Right this way! Don't get too hung up looking at the paintings, please. The man of the hour is right here at the end of the hall!"

She walked ahead of the group of managers and guided them to a metal door covered in strange symbols that looked like they were painted on by a caveman. She opened the door with a key card and waved everyone inside. The concrete room inside was quite spacious and glowed with an eerie blue light that emanated from an enormous glass tube built into the far wall.

"What is this place?" wheezed the aging Christopher, exhausted from the short walk down the hall. "This feels like the inside of a nuclear reactor."

Walking over to the tube, Miss Planner ran her hand alongside it as she gazed lovingly at the dark liquid flowing within.

"This is the Sealed Chamber of the Spirit. You are about to see something that will change your life forever," she said with a bow of her head. "Come out, Wiseman."

From within the tube, a gigantic human face appeared from the depths of the inky darkness. It was pale and hairless, with a weak chin and tired eyes. The group of managers took in a collective gasp and stumbled backwards in alarm. The ghostly face opened its mouth and began to speak, its deep and solemn voice rumbling through the concrete chamber.

"Hello, sons and daughters of Grandebelle. I am Wiseman."

The group, their eyes still locked on the apparation in the tube, began to feel a little numb. A terrible tension filled the room.

"What...what is this?"
"Unbelievable!"
"He's talking!"

"Don't be frightened," said Wiseman. "I was once a man, but I became a spiritual being to watch over the Chosen Ones and help them on their path. I am their protector and their guide."

The twelve executives from Farha-Smith were completely dumbfounded. As much as they wanted to deny it, the bizarre ghostly face trapped inside a glass tube was real and it was staring right at them. Their heads turned back and forth between each other and Wiseman. Miss Planner gently tapped Wiseman’s glass tube with her palm and he continued to speak.

"I have taken a keen interest in you twelve. I have seen your work and the success you have achieved in Farha-Smith Financial Services before its unfortunate and untimely collapse. My trusted friend Miss Planner and I agree that you will be of great use to the Chosen Ones, and so I will help you."

"You... you're going to help us?" stammered David Stern.
"Yes, David. Step forth. Place your hand on the glass and think of what you desire most."

David looked conflicted, but after a moment of hesitation his curiosity won out over his fear. He stepped forward, laid his hand on the glass and mused to himself for a few seconds before looking up again.

"David, you are man of decisiveness and integrity. I know you feel guilt over your role in the downfall of Farha-Smith, but you have nothing to be ashamed of. You made prudent decisions that were in the best interest of the company despite how things ended. Let go of your guilt. You will find a new life among the Chosen Ones and you will truly flourish."
"How did you..."
"My knowledge and power is far greater than you can imagine, child. I see a great potential in you that you have perhaps not seen yourself. I shall grant you the gift of insight. The power to peer into the minds of others and learn of their true selves. The path to true understanding is not an easy one, but I believe you are up to the challenge."

There was a flash of purple light, and David fell to his knees. He wasn't in pain, but he felt something unfamiliar, something that made him feel dizzy and nauseous. Images began to pour into his mind, thoughts that weren't his, emotions so powerful that they threatened to overwhelm him. The rest of the managers rushed to help David back to his feet.

"Hey!"
"David! Are you alright?"
"Miss Planner, what's going on?"

Wiseman's ghostly lips folded into a faint smile.
"Calm yourself, David. Your new power will be a lot to handle at first, but you'll learn to manage it in time."

David was breathing heavily, but he stood with Eliza's help and managed to regain his composure.

"It's... it's real. I thought this was some kind of weird magic trick, but it's not. Eliza, I can read your thoughts... I mean, not all of them. Just bits and pieces... Wiseman, you..."
"Yes, child. This power is yours to use as you please."
"This is crazy. This is... incredible..."

Eliza lset her hand on David's shoulder and he took a deep breath. As the reality of the situation began to settle in, the Farha-Smith team's unpleasant mood shifted and their anxiety disappeared in the blink of an eye.

"You can really read people's thoughts? What number am I thinking of right now?"
"Twenty four."
"Amazing!"
"Wiseman, I don't know what I did to deserve this, but I can't thank you enough."
"You're really psychic?"
"It's a miracle."

Wiseman's milky-white face floated lower in the glass tube. The managers quieted down and turned to face him with looks of awe on their faces.

"My children, I have a gift prepared for each and every one of you. You need only to believe, and I will release the power hidden within you. Evan, you are next. Come forth and touch the glass if you believe."

Evan stepped forward and held his hand to the glass without hesitation, his eyes wide with excitement.

"Evan, I know many things about you. I know you are a man of restless ambition. You are driven and determined to stand above all others. You came to the Chosen Ones with the hope of finding a group of people just as determined to reach the stars."
"Yes... yes!"
"I shall grant you the gift of self-direction. The power to modify your own thoughts and behaviors as you see fit so that you may become whoever you wish to be and do whatever you wish to do! You will create the path to your destiny!"

There was another flash of purple light. Evan remained standing, but his face revealed that something had changed. His eyes glazed over and he opened his mouth as if to say something, then closed it. He stumbled forward and would've fallen face-first onto the floor if David hadn't caught him.

"That was... something," Evan said, blinking.
"Are you alright?"
"I feel calm... no, I can feel however I want to feel. I can be whatever I want to be."

To the great joy of the managers from Farha-Smith, the face in the tube granted each and every one of them a psychic gift. One by one they stepped forward, touched the glass, carefully listened to Wiseman's short explanation, and then rejoined their fellows. Each of them looked different after their encounter: some were calm and quietly thoughtful, some looked like they had some great weight lifted off of them, and some were smiling like idiots. All of them, of course, were thrilled beyond words. Miss Planner watched the scene unfold from the back of the group, quietly chuckling to herself and smirking like a naughty little girl that just got away with tricking her parents.

4