Chapter 89 – Pet Controllers
133 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The experimental psychic drugs Dr. Tuske administered to the four high school students had some pretty nasty side effects. It gave them horrible nightmares and stimulated their appetites to the point of overindulgence. All four were given special cafeteria cards with an unlimited meal plan that they abused relentlessly. All four were beginning to put on some weight.

The tiny blonde Garth Taylor scowled as he brought a big spoonful of potatoes to his mouth.
"I swear he scanned me twice. That was way worse than last time."

Malcolm giggled from across the table.
"I was only in there for twelve seconds. And I got a double dose."

Chase swallowed hard and nodded.
"My powers haven't manifested yet. What's going to happen when they do?"

Clay pointed a finger towards him and grinned.
"You'll get to do this."

'Control. Give me your wallet.'

Chase's expression went blank. He pulled his wallet out of his pocket and set it on the table. Clay laughed like a maniac, smacking his leg in a frenzy.
"Hahaha! Those Scorpion losers are dead meat! We're going to make them pay, Chase!"

Malcolm leaned closer to Chase, smirking.
"We'll get them back for everything they've done to you and Garth. The second they try something, we'll kill them."

Chase shuddered. Garth sighed, annoyed.

The school the four young men attended, North Grandebelle High, had a serious bullying problem. Ever since the school year started, Garth Taylor had been mercilessly teased, harassed and tormented by a gang of six students who called themselves the Scorpions, the latest humiliating incident occurring in the bathroom only days ago. The school wasn't willing to expel any of the Scorpions, even when they brought switchblades to class with the explicit purpose of tormenting Garth. They got away with a slap on the wrist every single time. Two weeks suspension, study hall, a verbal warning, after-hours detention. It was never enough to make them stop. Garth and his friends couldn’t stand it. They were sick of the abuse.

So they decided to take action. If the Scorpions wanted to act like a gang, they'd join a crime syndicate. The biggest and most powerful one they could find. If the Scorpions wanted to rob them, attack them with knives, urinate on them, humiliate them... Garth and his friends would kill them. The four weren't real Chosen Ones yet, but it still wouldn't be long until they all became powerful enough to deal out punishment in a way no normal human could. The drug Dr. Tuske was testing on them would give them the strength to fight back and they were getting it for free. So what did it matter if the side effects included sleep loss, terrible headaches, hallucinations, and a horrible hunger that never stopped gnawing at the pit of their stomachs?

"Chase, go grab more food. Get me a burger. Mal, you want anything?"
"Get me a bagel. And some more soda. And a big thing of potato soup."
"Sure thing, guys... I'll be right back."

Garth ate his food in silence. He'd carefully selected the most filling items on the cafeteria's menu: two big bowls of soup, four servings of mashed potatoes, and an omelette. But his mind told him it wasn't enough. Even though he knew on an intellectual level that his stomach was completely full and eating more wouldn’t do him any good, his hands moved instinctively towards his tray to grab a fistful of potatoes.

Malcom was saying something.

"...think I'll pop outside for a second. I need a smoke. Anyone want to come with?"
"No thanks."
"I'm still eating, man."

Garth nodded, not caring. Malcolm stood up and put his lighter away.

"Really? Maybe I'll just stay here, then. Hey, they've got a special today... grilled lemon pepper chicken. That sounds pretty good."
"Yeah, get us some of that. And some bread. Bread is going to help us keep this down... I threw up last week after I got home. I think it was those greasy french fries that did it. Man. They've got good food here, but I gotta watch what I put in my mouth..."

Garth's mouth felt as dry as cotton. After the hunger came the headaches, the constant pounding of blood through his ears, the nausea, the strange sense that someone was staring directly into his skull, watching him, observing him. Garth shivered violently. He pushed aside his tray and rose from the bench. The others turned towards him, but he tried to ignore them.

"Hey, what's up, dude?" asked Clay, laughing and slapping Garth on the back. "You don't look too good."
"I'm going home. I feel sick. It'll get worse soon. Just like it did the other day."

"Alright, see you later, man."
"Bye, Garth."
"Later."

Garth hurriedly walked towards the door. He was dizzy. He had a theory that since he had a lower body mass than his friends he was getting a stronger effect out of the experimental drug. Or something. He was the first out of the group to develop the ability to see auras. And his aura was expanding in size every day. He was certain that he was stronger than the rest of his friends combined. But the side effects, the pain in his head, the horrible hunger in his belly, the nightmares...

His eyes blurred and he staggered towards the elevator. His brain kept telling him to go back to the cafeteria and eat another bowl of soup or some more potatoes or maybe another omelette or the special lemon chicken. The craving was so intense he could hardly believe it. But he pushed on, his mind a mess of conflicting emotions. He was going to go home and go to bed, even though he knew sleep wouldn't bring him any relief.

4