Chapter 96 – The Worldly Sages
133 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a schism emerging between the Sages at the Tower of the Chosen. A few of the Sages began seeking new Followers outside the organization and developed a taste for a luxurious lifestyle that had never before been available to them. These Sages put little value in the sanctity of their positions and publicly dabbled with worldly affairs, abusing their positions of authority to accumulate vast fortunes. They proudly proclaimed that the Tower of the Chosen should be open to all kinds of ideas and types of people, regardless of background or circumstance. To the disappointment of many, the revered Sage of Destruction joined the ranks of the 'worldly Sages' and began to appoint common criminals as his newest Followers including the likes of a murderer named D-Money and an ex-convict named Cam.

The Sages that supported the traditional order were dismayed and disgusted by the open immorality of the worldly Sages. They joined together to form a group of 'holy Sages' to bring their venal brethren to account and restore the pure, original values of the Chosen Ones to the Tower. Within their faction, the teachings and rules handed down from the ancient Sages were restored to their rightful position of primacy and reverence and strictly enforced by the holy Sages of Hatred, Torment, and Despair. Their disdain for the corrupt Sages was so great that they banned them from ever returning to the Grand Temple by majority vote, arguing that those that abandoned the ancient ways were no longer deserving of the title 'Sage'.

The worldly Sages feared that they were destined to share the fates of the imprisoned Sages of Taboo as punishment for daring to disobey the overly restrictive and anachronistic laws of the ancient Sages... and indeed, that was exactly what the holy Sages had in mind for them. And so while the holy Sages continued to live modest and humble lives of virtue in accordance with the teachings of the ancients, the worldly Sages began to gather armies of servants to defend themselves from any who might wish to see them brought to justice.

The conflict brewing between the Sages went largely unnoticed by the rest of the Tower's residents and visitors until a heated argument between the Sage of Despair and the Sage of Death erupted into an exchange of blows between the two elderly men. Elder Presence was quick to try to resolve the situation, but his attempt at making peace backfired leaving him at odds with the majority of the holy Sages. The Sage of Hatred, in particular, made a solemn oath that he would see Elder Presence severely punished for interfering with the Sages' sacred duties. In a desperate bid for self-preservation, Elder Presence began aiding the worldly Sages by concealing evidence of their corruption and quietly silencing all who spoke out against them.

The division within the Tower of the Chosen was growing too large to contain. Some had abandoned all hope for a peaceful resolution to the dispute, accepting it as a foregone conclusion that the Chosen Ones would soon be plunged into a vicious war of self-annihilation where Chosen killed Chosen, Sages destroyed Sages and Followers slaughtered Followers...

"I can't take this anymore."

Michael stood in the living room of the Sage of Destruction's luxurious villa in West Grandebelle and wiped his sweaty forehead. He was in a panic. The Sage was dressed in a gaudy golden robe embroidered with mystical sigils and his head was adorned with a golden crown glimmering with jewels. He had stopped wearing his ceremonial skull mask and let his hair fall down his back and around his shoulders like an elegant mane. His face, though wrinkled with age, was still handsome and dignified. He sat on a comfortable armchair surrounded by an impressive selection of ancient vases filled with beautiful red roses.

"Have faith, my child. The Chosen Ones are on the verge of a great awakening. Soon they will see the true path of enlightenment, and it won't be through the petty, pointless efforts of these so-called 'holy Sages.' It will come slowly, gradually, through new ways of seeing the world and the way it ought to be. Through people like you. Do you have faith?"

"I do. Of course I do. You taught me how to have faith."

"Taught you... hmph. I merely showed you what was possible. But you already knew the truth inside yourself. You only needed to open your eyes. You will see yet more wondrous things, my child. It's a shame that many refuse to open their eyes and see where the road they walk is leading them."

"Yes..."

The Sage of Destruction groaned and crossed his legs. He brought a glass of red wine to his lips and took a long sip before setting it on the table in front of him and moodily staring off into the distance.

"We are here to guide the people of Grandebelle. We are here to help those that are suffering and struggling to live a meaningful life. The old ways are failing... we must change the ways that have failed us and failed those in need. The Tower must pass the trial of the holy Sages before it can stand at its rightful height. They would denounce me as a Sage of Taboo... they would strip me of all of my titles and imprison me forever... all because I wish to see the Chosen Ones grow beyond what the Sage of Hatred would dictate for them."

Michael's heart felt heavy in his chest. He hated to see his friend and mentor in pain.

"The holy Sages... I don't understand why they're doing this, teacher. The Chosen Ones live in the modern world now. We should learn from the ancient traditions and adapt them to our time. Not blindly copy everything they did back then. Things are different now."

"It is as you say, child..."

"Teacher, can you tell me about the Sages of Taboo? Why did they imprison them?"

The Sage smiled at Michael with a tired sigh. He began speaking in a slow and measured tone.

"Taboo means 'something that shouldn't be done.' A taboo acts as a warning, to remind us of our obligations and to show us the correct way. The Sages of Taboo committed a forbidden act and for that, they were imprisoned. The Elders chose to spare their lives, hoping that one day they would repent and return to the path of righteousness."

"What was the forbidden act?"

"It is a matter best left alone."

The Sage rose to his feet. His movements were stiff and ungraceful, and the years appeared to weigh down on his mind as he looked at his loyal Follower and confidant.

"You'll forgive me if I don't wish to discuss the Sages of Taboo any further. They are a reminder of a darker time."

"I understand, teacher."

"I will tell you all you wish to know when you are a man grown, but not yet. There is much to do. For now, we must return to the Tower. We shall find a worthy Follower for The Sage of Emptiness, whether from the Animal Brotherhood or elsewhere."

Michael bowed his head.

"Black Smoke just brought in two new members of the Brotherhood... Happy and Clay Pest. I don't think either one of them has quite what it takes. But we'll find the right person sooner or later. I promise I won't disappoint you, teacher. Thank you for placing your trust in me."

2