Chapter 100 – Negotiation
139 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Sages. I think I understand the situation a little better now. I don't think either one of you really wants to hurt the other... you just believe the other person is going about things in the wrong way. That’s good. The next step is coming up with a compromise."

"Hmph. A compromise, you say?"

"I can't speak for either one of you, but I imagine there must be some middle ground that would make both of you happy. So I'd like each of you to write down what you want to have happen... and then we’ll try to come to an agreement.”

"I see. Very well, then."
“Hmph.”

The Sage of Hatred produced a pen from his cloak and the Sage followed suit. Both of the Sages were silent while they wrote, and all was quiet except for the scratching of pen on paper. Eventually, they each finished and handed their work to Erica.

"Thank you."

She took the papers and began to look them over. Then, she softly looked at each Sage in turn before reading the pages out loud so that everyone could hear:

"The Sage of Hatred's demands are as follows: That the corrupt Sage of Destruction relinquish the position the title of Sage and all rights and privileges that go along with it or else accept imprisonment alongside the Sages of Taboo. Furthermore, he requests that the Sage of Destruction's illegally obtained assets and properties be confiscated and liquidated to fund the rehabilitation of the Tower of the Chosen. In addition, he wishes for all of the Sage of Destruction's Followers to be expelled from the Chosen Ones. Finally, he asks Miss Planner for the establishment of a new administrative body within the Tower of the Chosen, the purpose of which shall be to uphold the purity of our sacred laws and the Divine Mysteries. He also states that if any of these conditions are not met, the holy Sages will have no choice but to take matters into their own hands."

The Sage of Hatred's demands were quite extreme. Erica took a deep breath before continuing.

"Now, for the Sage of Destruction's demands: First, the Sage of Destruction would like to request that the Sage of Hatred leave him in peace and return to the Grand Temple. Second, he would like to ask that the ancient laws be respected and not selectively enforced against him and his Followers. Third, he would like the Sage of Hatred to acknowledge the authority of the supreme Elders who are destined to rule over all and cease his attempt to usurp power over the Chosen Ones. Fourth, the Sage of Destruction wishes for Miss Planner in her station as a representative of the Elders to acknowledge that he has not violated any of the laws of the Divine and that he is not a criminal. Finally, he requests that the Sage of Hatred withdraw his accusations of corruption and that he, the Sage of Destruction, be allowed to continue to teach the truth of the Divine."

The Sage of Destruction leaned back in his chair. He was confident Miss Planner would step in any moment to punish the Sage of Hatred for his insubordination and make sure all his demands were satisfied. But she didn't. She just watched him squirm with a polite smile on her tiny little lips. Erica nervously rubbed her knuckles.

"Ummm... before I suggest anything, I'd just like to say once again that I'm here to mediate a compromise between the two of you, not to judge you. But I do think we should try to find a solution that satisfies everybody... so I think we should start by going through these demands point by point, if that's acceptable..."

"Indeed."
"Hmph."

"Sage of Hatred, would you have a problem returning to the Grand Temple?"
"I'd be happy to return. But as long as the faithless ones remain in the Tower, I cannot leave this place."

"I see... Well, I think that the Sage of Destruction will be happy to hear that."
"Hmmph."

"Sage of Destruction, would it be possible for you to relinquish your title of Sage? It seems like the ancient traditions have been a source of great pain for you... and they are quite unambiguous, as far as accepting compensation goes... it is indeed, um, not allowed."
"I... I don't know what you mean."

"I'm saying that the Sage of Hatred is right. You broke the sacred law. So the demand that you step down is, ummm... well, you're likely to get removed either way. So you might want to consider this carefully."

The Sage of Destruction looked away. His face was pale.

"Okay... let's move on to the next issue. The Sage of Destruction wants the rules to be enforced fairly, and it seems the Sage of Hatred does as well, which is why he wants a new administrative body... I think this is beyond the scope of our agreement, but I'd like to acknowledge it... umm... what's next?"

Erica looked back and forth between the two lists of demands. She was trying to avoid picking on the same Sage twice in a row.

"Sage of Hatred, would it be possible for you acknowledge the Elders' authority?"

The Sage of Hatred hesitated. He thought for a moment and then nodded.

"So long as the profligate Sages receive proper punishment, I see no reason to refuse."

"Good. Now, the Sage of Hatred has requested that the Sage of Destruction's illegally obtained assets and properties be confiscated. Do you agree to this, Sage of Destruction?"

"I have acquired it all honestly. I'd be glad to hand it all over to the Elders if that simple fact is acknowledged.”

The Sages were being surprisingly reasonable. They gave up ground little by little and got a little back in the process. Erica smiled to herself. She didn’t have much faith in the mediation process at the start of all this, but now she was almost certain she would be able to bring the Sages to a place of mutual understanding.

2