Chapter 103 – Desperation
130 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Erica worked as a bank teller before she joined the Chosen Ones. It was her first job out of high school, and she wasn't very well suited for it. Erica was incredibly shy, and that was a big problem for her because as a bank teller she was expected to interact with people a lot. She stuttered and mumbled and never made eye contact with anyone. She thought working at the bank and talking to customers all day would help her build up her confidence, but it didn't work out like that at all. Even though she was constantly talking to customers, she noticed herself slowly becoming more and more timid and awkward as time went on. She felt like everyone was always laughing at her or calling her an idiot behind her back. She felt like she would never be able to fit in anywhere. She felt like a freak.

Customer service in general just wasn't Erica's strong suit. She did her job, more or less, but no one ever saw her as very professional, especially since she was prone to panic attacks and horrible bouts of anxiety that got in the way of her ability to focus. Most of her co-workers either found her annoying or just ignored her completely. If she ever dared to make conversation, they usually just told her to shut up and go away.

Erica hated her job. She thought about quitting constantly, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. The idea of going through the humiliating process of finding another job terrified her. So she stuck around, kept her head down, avoided making waves, and pretended she was a happy little worker bee.

The months turned into years, and Erica's painful little life went on. She learned to keep her mouth shut, stay out of trouble, and just get by. She just wanted to to be normal. But it wasn't possible. So she settled for a subdued, submissive, docile existence. A desperate little voice whispered to her from time to time, begging her to give up. To quit. To run away. It was a sad voice, a pathetic, stuttering thing that refused to believe it could ever be happy.

The overcast sky, a pink blanket of clouds, poured cold water on the Pit. The sun's dim glow faded into a dismal darkness. A wet mouse, sad, quiet, and alone, crawled through the shadows of the city. Its sad eyes looked out at the world, searching for something that wasn't there.

"I... I hate this place. I don't know why I'm doing this. Maybe I should just give up... and... and just..."

Erica stared up at the gray ceiling of the World Alliance Bank and listened to the sound of the rain falling outside. She hoped no more customers would come in today, even though she was way behind on her sales figures. She just wanted to go home and hide. She wanted to curl up in a ball and quietly cry herself to sleep. She wanted to forget about everything. She wanted to disappear.

A violent thunder clap brought Erica out of her thoughts. The rain was pouring down hard on the ground outside. She looked at the time on her computer and was shocked to discover it was still only three o'clock. She was sure it was at least five. There was another clap of thunder and Erica trembled in her seat. She picked up her mug with a cartoon character's face on it and took a sip of coffee. It had gone cold long ago. Cold. She was cold. Always cold. Always tired. So tired.

And then, the door opened. A short woman in a business suit, wet from the rain, walked inside. She had dyed blonde hair and a stern expression on her tiny face. Erica looked away, not wanting to make eye contact.

"W-welcome to... World Alliance Bank. Come on up to th-the desk, and I'll take care of you..."
"Good evening. My name's Jessica. I'm here for an interview. Is Mr. Reggio available?"

"Oh, uh... he's... he's in the back office right now. Just... just wait a second. I'll g-go get him for you... you can wait here..."
"Thank you. You're very kind."

Erica scurried to the back room with her head down and informed the boss that his interview was here. He came out and got her, and Erica returned to her desk with a tired sigh.

After a few short minutes, Jessica came back out with Mr. Reggio, smiling and making small talk.

"-to get started, sir. I'm ready to put my degree to work!"
"Well, we're happy to have you, Miss Kandel. You're from the area?"
"Grandebelle's the only home I've ever known, and I'm proud to say I'm the granddaughter of a local entrepeneur."
"We're big on community at this branch. We think of our customers as our neighbors. We're small enough to know get to know them all personally and big enough to handle all of their financial needs."
"That's a lovely way to do business."
"Our customers think so too. We've been here for thirty years now and we've built a great reputation. I don't think there's any other bank in the country that's more dedicated to customer service than us. You'll see for yourself when you come in next week."
"Thank you so much, Mr. Reggio. I'm looking forward to working with you..."

Erica stared at Jessica as she left. She couldn't help but feel a little jealous. There was something about her that just screamed 'I have everything you'll never have!'

It was in her smile, her walk, the tone of her voice... she was a natural winner.

She wore a tight black business suit with a skirt that perfectly accentuated her tiny figure. She had a confident, commanding presence about her. Her bright blue eyes were full of life and vitality. Her shamelessly dyed blonde hair with dark roots made her look like an untouchable goddess wearing a golden crown. 

Erica felt a sudden urge to run out of the building and never come back.

3