Chapter 132 – An Absurd Entertainer
111 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Karen had a hard time making friends. She was chubby as a child and was mercilessly bullied for it. As a result, she became very self-conscious and withdrawn. It wasn't until she grew much older that she started to become a little more outgoing and assertive. But it was never easy for her to make meaningful connections with other people. The only friends she made as an adult were her coworkers, among them Nikki, Cookie, and Rex.

Karen was much closer to Rex than anyone else. He quit his job at the gift shop and left the city for a couple of years to 'find himself,' but when he came back she started visiting him at his apartment and they picked up right where they left off.

They were just friends.

Rex rarely left his apartment, and Karen was the only person that visited him. He said she was his only friend. He didn't seem interested in getting a job. His little sister paid for his rent and groceries. His only possession of any real value was an old computer he used to look up arcane stuff that he would talk to her about sometimes.

Rex was childish, annoying, and a freak. But he was an endearing freak. He was like her little brother. Her friends always teased her about having a crush on him. She always got defensive whenever it came up. It wasn't a crush. No, of course not. He was just a funny guy, and he always had something interesting to talk about. Maybe if they tried talking to him they'd see that too.

How had this ridiculous little man become so important to her? She didn't know, but she had to admit that without him, her life wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting or enjoyable.

"Are you home? It's me, Karen! I brought pizza!"
"Karen!? Is that you? Just a second!"

Rex's front door was secured from the inside with a heavy-duty series of locks. He said he didn't feel safe without them. The way he acted, you'd think he was keeping something really valuable inside there, or that he was hiding a body or something. It always took him an annoyingly long time for him to unbolt and unchain the door.

"Hello, Karen! It's good to see you!"

The door was finally open.

"Hey, how are you doing today, Rex?"
"I'm doing just fine. Come on in!"

He was short, but he was muscular. He would look pretty handsome if he got a haircut and wore something nice. But...

Karen didn't like to talk about it, but she was psychic. So she could see Rex’s aura, plain as day. It never spread out like an aura should. It was motionless, dull, and it lingered behind him as he moved like a long, faded shadow. It didn't seem right. It seemed dead.

Whatever had happened to him, it must have been something terrible. She didn't want to think about what hurt him, not when he was such a cheerful, innocent person, but it was impossible not to wonder. Maybe it was the result of some childhood trauma. Maybe it was something else.

"What's this? Extra basil? I love it! Thank you!"

Karen tore herself away from her thoughts.

"I know it's your favorite."
"You’re an angel. What's been going on with you, Karen?"

"Well, work got off to a rough start today, but it wasn't that bad. I just went out with Cookie and Nikki. Cookie says hi, by the way... anyway, what about you?"
"Heh heh heh. I've been putting together a little performance. Here... let me show you."

Rex turned off the lights and set up a flashlight like a projector, casting a circle of light on the floor. Then, he squatted down and started maneuvering his fingers around like a little magician. Karen watched him with fascination. His hands contorted in a strange way, casting the shadow of a... a goose?

Where did he come up with this stuff? He had all the time in the world to do whatever he wanted, and he wasted it learning these ridiculous little tricks! Karen looked at him, looked at the shadow, then looked at him again.

"Hmmm..."
"What do you think?"

"It's... cute."
"Yeah? You like it?"

"Yeah, I like it."
"If I hold my fingers out like this... look! The goose is soaring high through the sky!"

"Huh."
"Those are pretty basic. I have a few more advanced ones... watch this."

Karen ate her pizza and enjoyed the show. A smiling little boy, a playful rabbit, an angry monster, a screaming old lady. Each one had a personality all its own, and seeing them move was like watching a silent film.

"That's amazing. You're like a professional puppet master or something."
"Thanks. The neighbor's kid has been coming over a lot, so I've been sharpening my talents."

The figures scampered back and forth in the small patch of light, some joyful, some miserable, some silly, some scary. It was a little childish, sure. It was a bit strange, definitely. But it was also oddly comforting. It was like Rex lived in a little world of pure fantasy, and he was sharing it with her and her alone.

It made her feel special.

"I wish I could do that."
"I can teach you if you want. It's easy."

Karen self-consciously rubbed her hands over her roughened palms.

"Maybe... maybe next time. I should get home. It's late. Thanks for the entertainment, Rex. I'll see you later."

She grabbed her purse and started to leave. Then, she felt a cold, heavy hand on her shoulder.

"Be safe out there, Karen. It's dangerous at night."

Karen didn't turn around.

"You don't have to worry about me. I can take care of myself."
"Bye bye, Karen."

Karen waved goodbye without looking at him, then left the apartment. She stood in the hall and listened as Rex locked the door, a process that took a full forty seconds.

"He's so... weird."

Karen walked down the stairs, lost in thought. She started to hum a tune to herself, but her voice caught in her throat. She could have sworn she heard footsteps echoing far below her.

Except, there were no other footsteps but hers. The stairwell was empty. She thought she heard something, or felt something, but she didn't feel like she was being watched or followed, just... being clumsy and paranoid.

Was there a reason why Rex had all those annoying locks? Was there a reason he never left his apartment? Was someone targeting him? Karen shivered at the thought. Why would anyone want to hurt him? He was so nice, so...

More footsteps.
A chill. Why did she feel a chill?

"Is someone there?"

She whispered to herself. The silence that followed almost hurt her ears. There was nothing. No one. It was all in her head. Just her overactive imagination. She'd been playing around with Rex too much and she was getting drawn into his weird fantasy land.

1