29. The Threat
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Drake wanted that moment to last forever, to remain in that embrace with her in his arms, feeling her warmth through the damp clothes. But a weird feeling of worry that she might get a cold and an annoyed dragon that hated water were both pushing him to end this and go inside.

When he looked down, he noticed Hope was barefoot, her feet soaked in water and mud. The man leaned down to run a hand over her legs and lifted her into his arms. For the first time, he felt like she was all his, making him bite his lower lip.

Hope saw the gesture and couldn't resist it. She pulled his head and kissed him with all the love she was feeling, and the man responded to her in the same manner. When he entered the castle, he closed the door behind him with his foot and started climbing the stairs without interrupting the delicious kiss. This was Drake's house for more than a decade, and he could go everywhere with his eyes closed.

He went into her room and gently let her onto the soft mattress on her bed. Drake looked into her eyes for a few more seconds and then turned away, going to the door.

"So, you have a romantic side."

Hearing Hope's soft and enticing voice, Drake shuddered. He simply couldn't let her walk barefoot on the cold marble, but he wouldn't admit such careful thought. "I didn't want your feet to smudge through the house, soiling it with that filthiness."

After the door closed, Hope started laughing, seeing the floor was dirty everywhere with huge chunks of mud from his shoes. Oh, that man! He couldn't admit he was starting to care about her.

Ayala came and prepared another bath, even if Hope wanted only to wash her feet. She had enough baths that day to last her a lifetime if she counted the rain as well.

After the hot bath, she felt sleepy and went to bed without caring about the softness of the mattress, which annoyed her every time. Hope was too tired and fell asleep quickly, with a decision in mind. She will have that man and she will make him admit he loved her. And when Hope made a decision, she never backed down.

-----

At the foot of the stairs, there was Silas, the butler, waiting for his master. Drake didn't look at him, just left a whisper when he passed near him. "Did that man with silver hair left?"

"Yes, my Lord!"

"The next time a person comes to me without being announced, you will be a headless butler."

Silas shivered, knowing that could happen any day now. He reprised his flawless posture when he heard again the voice of his master. "Butler, send Armless to me."

Drake was always calling him Butler because, for Lord Springwood, that was his name. That way did not require him to learn his name or to burden his memory with useless things. Over the years, many butlers have died, mostly by his hand, and all were now laying in the crypt with the Butler tag at their feet.

When Armless entered the living room, Drake was at the window, staring outside. All the flowers that covered everything were removed, the fire was put down, and the servants had taken the glasses and the bottle of wine.

The captain of the guards bowed down till his head almost touched the ground. "My Lord!"

Lord Springwood didn't move, just spoke with his commanding voice. "I want guards patrolling the road leading to this castle. I want to know who comes with at least half an hour before someone reaches this place. Is that clear?"

"Yes, my Lord!"

"Good, you can go!"

Armless nodded and left, happy that for once he wasn't threatened or scared out of his wits.

Drake wasn't happy at all. The note left by his brother washed aside all his newfound feelings. On the windowsill, he found a letter with the frozen petal placed over it. Even if it was summer and was hot in the room, the petal wouldn't melt. It was like a magical cage that froze the petal in time.

The man opened the letter and read it, preparing himself for the worst.

"Dear big brother,

I was happy to see you after this long time, and it upset me that our reunion lasted so little. Do not worry, because I plan to be back before winter settles down.

After you left, I stood a few moments at the window and saw a kind and romantic scene. I didn't know you had it in you. It is good that you never cease to amaze me.

As you have already figured it out by now, I want that woman that was with you outside in the rain. You have time till the last day of autumn to deliver her to the palace, or I will lay havoc on your land and castle and still take her from your grasp.

The decision is yours.

Your loving brother,

Wrenn Draconian,

The Crown Prince of Sundac"

Drake tore the paper into small pieces and threw them on the table next to him. "Well, that wraps up everything nicely."

Lord Springwood took a seat, sighing. 'A lot of times, talented individuals make the mistake of believing things will go their way. Wrenn was always a talented child. Since we were young, my parents thought he was the one born to rule. Now, they have their way. Why can't they just leave me be? They can have their puny throne and their favorite heir. But I will not give them Hope. She is mine, and only mine.'

His sharp nails scratched a deep line into the ice surrounding the petal. The shard snapped into two pieces, broken along the fissure he created. The petal was sliced, a piece of it in each smaller ice shard. Even the toughest thing can break if you put enough pressure in the right place.


Author's Note:

This is the last chapter I will publish on Scribble Hub. The rest of the chapters you can read on Webnovel. If you make an account there, you will get 1-2 free passes daily just for logging in and voting. You can use those free passes to read the locked chapters.

Join me and other writers on Discord: discord.gg/WW3rxzTr45

I wait for you all on Webnovel and Discord!

2