Chapter 3
27 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During the night, Rohan had stayed up quite a bit, doing several things, such as experimenting with his new powers. He found new applications of his abilities, including using (Subatomic Matter Manipulation) to make different atoms combined to formed molecules. He made oil, even mixing some of his metals to create highly pure and strong alloys.

Not only that, but he learned more about the other classes and their abilities. Ronaldo himself had also gotten a (Unique) class, the class of (Engineer). They had access to runes that could be used to enhance the bonding between atoms and molecules. In other words, a rune that increased the hardness of an object. They had several other uses, such as releasing a massive amount of heat when triggered, effectively making explosives. It was the magical equivalent of gunpowder when used in this way, but its uses were hardly limited. Already, Rohan could see the massive amount of potential within these runes.

They could make weapons rivaling the destructive powers of gunpowder, using only mana and wood. For example, if they made a hollow wooden shell and put hardness runes on it and an explosive rune on the inside that triggered when it felt a large amount of impact, they could make a grenade with only three simple steps. But, of course, that wasn't even mentioning guns, cannons, maybe even aircraft!

But Rohan was getting ahead of himself. He rooted himself at the moment. And at the moment, they needed food. So Rohan, using (Organic Matter Manipulation), made paper out of a tree and began writing down the average amount of energy and nutrients a person needed daily.

After he finished, he asked Ronaldo if he could use runes that converted mana to chemical energy. The answer was a resounding yes. Using (Atomic Matter Manipulation), Rohan created a food pill covering all the nutrients a human needed. It expended only about 10 mana, as it was relatively small. Ronaldo helped by adding a rune to the pill that converted the mana in the rune to chemical energy.

Rohan was surprised by the process. Apparently, Ronaldo only needed physical contact with the pill to transcribe runes onto it. It did not glow nor show any signs of existence, but Ronaldo assured him it was there.

Rohan decided to test the pill's efficacy, and when he swallowed it, he sped up his digestive system using (Organic Matter Manipulation). Rohan also used (Organic Matter Manipulation) to maximize the efficiency of his digestive system, and as a result, he produced no waste. All he needed was water from the pond, and he'd be fully fed and energized for the rest of the day. This was an incredible discovery.

Rohan began manufacturing pills and had Ronaldo spread the word about these pills. Field Rations, as Rohan called it. Soon, people began producing rations for themselves, making some for others who couldn't.

After only a day, shelter, food, and water had been secured.


'Where does mana come from? Whenever we expend it on a ration, it returns to our body in the form of chemical energy. For that reason, mana must not be able to sustain a human body with the energy it needs. But it can be... transmuted into chemical energy usable for the human body. But where does this energy come from? Perhaps we passively absorb it from the air around us? That is the most likely solution, and for now, I'll describe its effects on the-' Rohan's musings were interrupted by a loud voice.

"Yo, Rohan!"

"What is it, Ronaldo?"

"What are we to do about this beast horde that's coming in eight and a half days?"

"Ah, yes. I almost forgot about that."

"You? Forgetting something? How rare."

"Once again, rhetorical."

"Ah, I see. My question still stands, though."

"Well then. First, we should start building walls around our encampment around the forest. Should we include the houses inside of the walls?"

"If the horde of beasts has destructive power, they might destroy our houses. Having a home destroyed tends to be demoralizing, and I'd rather n to go through the work of building them again."

"So inside the walls... Next, we need weapons. Let's start by producing mounted machine guns on the walls. But first, we need the walls, so let's begin by making personal armaments. We should also hand about 3 grenades to anyone willing to fight. Which reminds me, who do we have who is willing to fight?"

"All the security guards should be willing to fight. They have all been trained under the USA's harshest soldier training programs to protect us, and I'd feel like their duties still stand."

"What classes do they have, and how many are there?"

"They have combat-focused classes. The effects of these classes basically enhance their agility, strength, dexterity, and other things—an all-rounder class in terms of stats. As for numbers, there are 141. I used a survey to find out. Do I have to keep reporting? This is getting tiresome."

"Sorry, Ronaldo, but we might all die if we get overtaken by this beast horde. If it's not friendly, at least."

"True. Complaints can be saved for later."

"Alright, Ronaldo, get started on designing weapons, if you will."

Ronaldo sarcastically replied. "Yes, sir!"


Recently, Rohan was starting to feel like a factory. It wasn't a complaint, as producing things and seeing his hard work distributed was satisfying in its own right.

Ronaldo had managed to design a suitable rifle in only a few hours. Moreover, it was quite simple to make. It was a copied AK-47 that used runes rather than gunpowder. As for ammo, they just needed the tip of a bullet head. Which was Rohan's current task.

Along with around 300 (Chemists), Rohan was mass-producing bullets. The other 300 chemists used a blueprint design to form part of an AK-47 in a makeshift assembly line. Things were going along quite smoothly. There were no upsets, and everyone understood the graveness of the situation. After the time that had passed, everyone understood that this was likely not a dream. Too much time had passed for that.

The (Biologists) were all working together, and the miscellaneous scientists to form a wall that surrounded the compact houses.

After they had made 141 AK-47s and enough bullets to have sustained fire, they would begin making mounted weapons. They only needed 8, one for each corner and in between each corner. Despite being large, it would be relatively quick to assemble them with 600 people on the job. As Rohan was working on making bullets, Ronaldo led a design process to make a mounted machine gun for the walls and an Anti-Aircraft centered on a tower made in the middle of the base.

Soon, they would begin assembling it.


3 days later - 6 days until the attack.

Everyone had completed their tasks. Soldiers were patrolling the walls, with some stationed around the mounted machine guns. Rohan had deigned to give them the name MMG-1, or Mana-Machine-Gun-1. The other devices were named in similar fashions, such as the AK-47 being named the MR-1 or Mana-Rifle-1.

All that was needed was to wait for the attack to happen.

But humans are rather impatient; they do more than just what was needed.

1