10. Monster
66 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Of those that follow Lennox there are naturally those that do so out of their own free will and those that are forced. There are three different people who fall into the former category. First there are those - usually powerful nobles - who are well aware of both the prince's vices and virtues yet believe that his virtues easily outnumber his vices. Then, there is the rare species of person (such as Jiayi) who only see Lennox's virtues, his die hard fan club who view him through rose colored glasses, ignorant of all the dark scheming in the background.

Finally, there's those who support Lennox because of the benefits they receive from him. Within that there are those like Matilda who are content remaining ignorant of the deeper darker aspects and doing small favors for the prince (such as smuggling or passing on information or increasing his reputation) in exchange for receiving continued benefits and remaining the king/queen of their own small kingdoms (in Matilda's case that's her tavern) or in other words retaining their power. However, in that last category there are also those who are well aware of the dark side to prince Lennox because they themselves do his dirty work. Those people are usually those that start out in the lowest rungs of society with an innate disposition for violence and bullying and a thirst for power like no other. Ronald is one such person.

His real name isn't even Ronald, that was simply a name he chose because of it's popularity with the nobles. Ronald thinks it makes him sound elegant however, it's simply a clear sign of his unhidden ambitions to soar up the social ladder. Ha! As if having a name like "Ronald" could make someone like him any nobler Arek scoffs. Of course, there are those that start from the bottom of society who manage to rise up and gain true power and prestige. Ronald simply isn't one of them. At most he's someone the prince can rely on to get dirty work done but not trust, a goon with a few subordinates.

And Arek happens to be one of these subordinates, at least that's what Ronald likes to think. Regardless, he's been Arek's contact on and off for the past month. At first, Lennox still wore his mask when dealing with Arek, acting like he actually cared. Yet, as time went on their contact decreased and it became clear that the extent of Arek's worth lay in his ability to clean up the insects dirtying the prince's view, such as the unfortunate Lord Bowen.

However, the prince's lessened contact with him is actually a good thing in Arek's eyes because, on the fateful day when he drank the chalice of definitely not wine, he not only gained special abilities but also placed himself under a slave contract with the prince whereby he cannot disobey a single direct order from Lennox's mouth. 

"Here!" Arek blinks, his mind returning from memory land in time to see the ruddy faced Ronald rudely shove a document in his face. 

"What is it?"

"Don't ask questions, just follow orders!" I suppose it's my next assignment then Arek thinks with a sigh. What is it this time? Another Lord Bowen or a female version who likes to keep male pets?

Suddenly, he catches sight of a word on the page that makes him pause. "...Witch?" 

"Hmph, yeah that bitch has been getting in the way of His Highness's plans." Not a useless old lord or lady, eliminated because they're sucking up resources and mooching off of people's taxes? It's a witch this time? And one who's acting against the prince? Arek brings the document up to examine it further. 

"Hmph!" Ronald huffs. Arek ignores him, scanning the document further. 

"HMPH!" Arex continues to ignore him.

"You think you're so much better than the rest of us..." Ronald mutters, almost growling. Deciding that he's not going to have any time to peacefully read in here, Arek decides to go somewhere else.

"Anything else?" He asks, raising a brow towards Ronald.

"...Cocky bastard." Taking that as a no, Arek turns and leaves, rolling his eyes on the way out. I'm someone who sleeps with people before murdering them on a daily basis. If anything, I'm as disgusting as you. Why the hell would I think myself any better?

Thinking this, his mind wanders over to his first killing...

(Author: I'm going to try to write flashbacks in first person. It could work fabulously or it could become a train wreck of confusion. If you're reading this and you think it's a train wreck, please comment or message me, I'll change the scenes to third person. If no one does though and I think it's fine, then I'm going to do first person). 

I stand in front of a guy, snot, tears, and blood from where the prince's men hit him dripping down his face in a muddled waterfall of grossness. Yet, despite the distortion this causes, I'd recognize that familiar bearded face anywhere. It's one of the men who wanted to rape me, one of the men who...Sean...I feel my heart clench and for a moment I can't breathe.

"Go on." I glance at the prince next to me, gesturing encouragingly. His visage is still as misleadingly angelic as ever. He told me I had a surprise awaiting me. Ha! A surprise indeed.

"What?"

"It's your chance to take revenge." Ah. That's right, that was my intention but...I glance at the pathetic looking fellow on the ground, then at the devil behind me. What's the point of taking revenge on a goon when the true mastermind is right behind me?

"Arek." The prince prompts again. Ah, is he getting impatient?

"What do you want me to do? You know I can't fight." He should know at least that by now after weeks of training.

At this, the prince smiles. "You should believe in yourself. Besides, I've given you all the power you need." I pause. What is he talking about...?

"Arek, do you remember the chalice you drank with the oath?" Lennox asks. How could I not remember? It had me sick in bed for weeks.

"...Yes." 

"Well, that chalice gave you power, the power to crush your enemies, too crush all evil." ...What?

"...What are you talking about?"

Lenox strides a few steps towards the window, gazes out for a moment, then spins back towards me. Honestly, he'd do well as an actor, he has all the theatrics and blocking down for a passionate speech scene. 

"Arek, within you lies a dormant power, the power of a great beast, one of the most terrifying but great ones known to mankind: the kraken." Haah? I blink, thoroughly confused. Wasn't that a sea monster of some sort? I stare uncomprehendingly at the prince and after several moments of holding his impassioned pose,  fist to his chest, he starts to get impatient. 

"Try to use your power, reach deep inside you..." Seriously, this is starting to sound more and more like Disney. As I stand there blinking, Lennox finally looses all patience. 

"Kill him." He orders, his voice cold. Just as I'm about to open my mouth to ask another question, I feel my back burn. Then, fast as lightning, before I'm aware of what's happening, a massive purple tentacle comes out of my back and pierces the unfortunate goon in the back. Seeing this, Lennox displays the most natural smile I've ever seen from him however, I don't notice. I'm too busy standing there, shell-shocked. 

"Wonderful, Arek. Next let's call in the seduction master." Lenox says. I'm still too stunned to process his words. 

Blinking, Arek comes back to himself. He cracks out a laugh, heavy with sarcasm. What a clever prince. He thinks he has me trapped by forcing me to kill, to sleep around, he thinks he's dragged me down to hell where I'm a willing goon with no choice but to obey his every order. Well he's succeeded, he's made me a monster, a dirty, rotten soul who deserves nothing less than the deepest, darkest parts of hell. But...not before I drag him with me...

 

4