24. A Bit Cute
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Note: I made some changes to the previous chapter so if you've read chapter 23 and there was no mention of Sean, it means you haven't read the updated version. I'll avoid doing this in the future but I just came up with some additions that I just had to add to it. 

The two men remain squatting around the summoning circle while the two hooded figures and one increasingly irritated older brother watch on. 

"So how did you learn summoning?" Orfo asks. "I mean," he says, glancing at Arek's brother, "by the looks of it you didn't have magic in this world so I assume you learned it in the other one?"

"Yeah, I was just a normal guy here."

"Well, normal guy with a crazy rich family right? I mean, do you know how much your brother is paying us to conduct this summoning?"

"How much?" Arek asks. Orfo whispers a number into his ear. Hearing it, Arek blinks. "Well, that sounds pretty reasonable." 

Orfo stares at him. Then he turns his gaze up to the roof of the cave with a sigh of lament. "What should I have expected from a rich kid?"

"Hey!"

"Seriously though, how did you learn summoning? I don't sense any magic affinity from you." Orfo asks him.

"Oh, I learned it during my travels. I wandered around for a bit and I met this group of fanatical cultists-"

"Ahem." The boys both turn their heads to see Arek's brother, his brow practically ready to jump off his forehead. "Arek."

Arek freezes. That familiar teeth gritting tone of irritation...I'm really back. Previously, with the chaos and suddenness of it all, it all honestly felt like a dream. But now, hearing his brother's all too familiar tone, Arek feels his eyes turn wet. Blinking back tears he turns to the side. I'm back, I'm really back...After taking a couple breaths, Arek turns back to face Orfo.

"Hey, I should probably head out with my brother..."

"No worries, I understand." Orfo flashes him a grin and whips something out. "Here."

This is...a leaf?" Arek glances at the small set of numbers scrawled hastily on a lush green leaf.

"My number, call me." Orfo flashes him a smile. For a moment, Arek blinks wondering wizards have phones now? Then, he shrugs and flashes Orfo a grin in return.

"Ahem." Turning to find his brother tapping his foot in impatience, Arek gets up to follow him, signaling to Orfo that he'll call him later.

Several minutes later, Arek is sitting in the passenger seat of his brother's sleek, black, but surely expensive, car. He isn't sure exactly what car it is, probably new - something bought in the past eight months. Eight months..."Ha!" To think these past eight years have been simple months...

Hearing his short laugh, Arek's brother-Sayan glances at him out of the corner of his eye. Feeling Sayan's gaze on him Arek glances up and the two lock eyes for a moment. In that gaze, Arek sees his familiar brother, no different than eight years ago however, the brother Arek sees is different. Because Arek himself is no longer the same...and now he sees things he's never seen before.

Are those shadows under his eyes, has he been overworking himself? I always thought he was a robot, a machine that never stops working except to roar at me. At this, Arek barks out another short laugh and Sayan's eyes fall back on him.

"What?" In response, Arek looks down prolonging the silence until Sayan's brow starts to crumple. He opens his mouth to speak again when Arek interrupts him.

"We need a grave for Sean." 

Sayan pauses, then opens his mouth however, Arek continues speaking.

"We need one in our family-in the Spearen Family graveyard right next to dad." Despite driving, Sayan whips his head to the side, stunned. Meeting Arek's gaze, he sees, not an immature boy with nothing but the power to throw tantrums, but a confident and determined man. As if burned by those eyes, Sayan flicks his gaze back to the wheel. 

"Mn." He responds without facing Arek.

"Mn." Arek agrees.

Getting the major issue out of the way, Arek slouches in his seat, ignoring his brother's disapproving gaze flicking over. Arek sighs and closes his eyes. He feels the fairly smooth car ride besides the occasional bump, so different from teleportation or even the rare carriage he's ridden. At this moment, he finally has the time to take everything in. I'm back so...what now? Why did I even want to come back in the first place?

Arek pauses to think for a moment. Because...this is home. Why though? It is because of the cars and TVs and buildings? At this thought, Arek opens his eyes to examine the view passing by outside his window. It's late evening so it's fairly dark however, the skyscrapers passing by are still clear enough to see. 

Immediately, Arek shuts his eyes again, the sudden visual stimulation of being back too much for him to take. He returns to his previous analyses. So, is it because of the material things? Maybe somewhat but...what really made it home? What really makes a home?

At this moment a certain mongoose rolls over on Arek's head, tugging a strand of his hair with it. Arek winces, unprepared. Gosh this brat Arthur...Arek freezes. Then, he lifts his hand to cup his jaw, rubbing it a few times. Am I stupid or what? What makes a home? Naturally, the people...or I guess mongooses and octopuses count too. 

 At this thought, Arek glances to the side at the supposedly cold and unconcerned man who's been sneaking glances at him this entire time. Ha, his baby brother just grew up and now he's bewildered as to what to do. Arek chuckles. Then, he pauses, rubbing his jaw again. 

Why did I think he was a monster or robot before? Does a monster have wrinkles on his face from worry, shadows under his eyes from overwork? Does a monster try to act grumpy and unaffected, while trying to hide the worry in his hands clenching around the wheel? Arek wonders, glancing down at Sayan's hands.

If we're talking monster...then Lennox is a monster. My brother is...

"What?" Sayan demands, glaring at Arek's open staring.

...actually a bit cute?

2