36. Interrogation
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ohh, so you helped manage the miasma's negative effects, that's great!" Orfo beams upon hearing a summary of the preceding events from Xue Jiang, Maya, and Arek.

"But...did anyone see you?" He asks.

"...maybe someone in the plane." Arek slowly replies.

"A plane? Oh this might be a little troublesome however...if we just contact..." Orfo mutters, pulling out his phone and rifling through his contacts before texting a person.

"OMG Orfo literally knows everyone." Maya whispers to Arek.

"Well, it's mainly my classmates." Orfo replies, hearing her words.

"...classmates?" Arek furrows his brow.

"At school. Well, not a normal school, a supernatural one for people like us." He grins. 

"There's a supernatural school?"

"Yup."

"If you come with us to the base we can tell you all about this stuff!" Maya chirps from the side.

"Base?" Orfo raises a brow. "You're bringing him to the base?"

"Yup! He hasn't even been registered yet."

"Registered?" Orfo furrows a brow. "You should've...oh, I guess it's our oversight during the summoning. But I didn't think you'd have...oh well, so? Are we heading there now?"

"No, it's late," Arek replies.

"Ohhhh, your brother is it? He was so worried about you before, you'd better go before he starts to worry again." Orfo says, grinning. With a nod, Arek turns and heads back into the building. 

Walking down the gray staircase, his thoughts run through the day's events and revelations. So there is a supernatural side to this world - my world, as well. Somehow this thought is a little disheartening. If this world is the same then what the hell was the point of my obsession with returning. If it's the same either way- But it's not, is it? Why? Because-

"Where have you been?" Arek blinks, looking up to see Sayan standing in front of his desk, back straight, arms crossed, and brow jumping. 

"Ah, well, I went up to the roof to get some air..."

"All day?"

"Ahahaha, well you see I got distracted..." Rambling, Arek watches Sayan's brow crinkle deeper and deeper. 

"...anyway, then there was another bird, I think it was a black-"

"Enough!" Sayan snaps. Meanwhile, Arek internally heaves a sigh in relief. Thank god, I couldn't think of anything beyond blackbird and that wouldn't have been very creative for an excuse now, would it...

"Don't let it happen again." Sayan commands.

Ah, big brother, that might not be possible...Arek mentally replies although externally, he's the very picture of obedience. The two go home and, as usual, Arek slips into his room. As soon as Sayan sees his disappearing back, he immediately calls out.

"Come out." In response, a man appears from the shadows, covered from head to toe in black. If Arek were here he'd recognize him as the man as one of the bodyguards he drank with the other day.

"Boss?" The man says.

"Send someone to keep an eye on my brother. Do not let him out of your sight."

"Yes, Boss!" With this, the man disappears back into the shadows. 

The next day Arek and Sayan once again arrive at the company. Sayan heads off to his office while Arek remains behind. Around the afternoon Arek once again slips away. Heading to the roof, he sees Orfo and the rest. However, he notices Orfo's brows are slightly furrowed. Just as Arek is getting ready to ask him what's wrong Orfo bends towards him and whispers in his ear. 

"There's a rat on you." Arek blinks, then understanding immediately dawns on him. 

"It's probably someone my brother sent to tail me. He's just there for protection, is that alright?"

"No, no outsiders allowed at the base."

"Alright." Arek shrugs. "Then do you want me to lose him then come back?"

"No worries, just come with us, he won't be allowed within the premises." Once again shrugging, Arek simply follows Orfo. Leaving the building, they get into a taxi and eventually arrive at the other side of the city.

Arek raises a brow in surprise. "I thought we'd be using magic."

"We're just an ordinary organization," Orfo says with a harmless-looking grin.

"Yeah right."

"Hmm?"

"Nothing."

Meanwhile, the bodyguard tailing Arek, true to Orfo's words, is stopped outside the building. 

"I have to follow my Young Master inside."

"Apologies Sir, but you can't go any further."

"But I-"

"Go tell your Boss that this is the territory of Ms. Rose. Your Young Master will be fine, but you have no authority here."

Therefore, the poor bodyguard comes back and faithfully relays the other's words back to Sayan who sits stock still, his brow furrowed in thought.

"Uh...Boss?"

"You can go." Sayan waves him away, then returns to his thoughts. It's convenient that it's Ella who's involved and not a stranger or worse, an enemy. But what even is this? Why did Arek go there? Oh well, might as well call. 

Picking up his phone, Sayan quickly pulls up a number.

"Hey Sayan, wondered when you'd call."

"Ella. Where have you taken my brother?" Sayan straightforwardly demands.

"Well...I'm afraid I can't disclose this since it has to do with an organization that's affiliated with the government-"

"Cut the crap."

"Well, Sayan quite frankly it is above your clearance."

"What do you mean?"

"It has nothing to do with you."

"He's my brother. What could possibly have to do with him that doesn't have to do with me?"

"Well, let's just say it has to do with...supernatural things." Syan opens his mouth, then pauses. Supernatural? Then...

"And you think Arek is suitable for it?"

"Well, you have to admit he's been in a different world Sayan. And that means he may not be the same brother you knew before." Sayan blinks, his mind flashing to the nightmares, to the drinking to-

"Ok, well I've got to go deal with some things, catch you later!"

"Wait-" Click. She hangs up the call and Sayan is left gazing at the phone. Her words continue ringing in his head: may not be the same brother you knew before...

After several moments, he once again turns on the phone and flips to a number, Except this time it's not Ella's number but a different number, that of a certain monk.

 

0