40. What are you doing here?
27 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Great job back there." Orfo says to Arek, as the two walk back to headquarters.

"So why was that creature there in the first place?" Arek asks.

"Well, we think it was the work of a group called the Gray," Orfo replies.

"The Grays? What's that?"

"It's an extremist group that believes the world should be connected to further, enrich and promote mutual growth."

"That doesn't sound too bad." Arek frowns.

"Ah-ha, but that's only what they say on the outside. In reality, they're a bunch of powers-hungry idiots who seek, among other things, immortality and unlimited power from other worlds."

"Ah."

"Exactly."

"But why are they called the Grays?" Arek asks suddenly. At this, Orfo looks slightly embarrassed.

"Because of their robes."

"What?"

"They wear gray robes."

"That's it?"

"Yup." For a moment, Arek is silent, then he opens his mouth.

"Huh, how creative you guys are. BTW and Gray."

"Creativity is...certainly not our strong suit," Orfo replies with a chuckle. At this, Arek bursts into laughter, and the two continue back to headquarters. The next couple of days are rest days. With nothing else to do Arek and Orfo start fighting mock battles with Maya bouncing along, taking measure of their powers. Once in a while, Xue Jiang joins in to fight as well. On this particular day, Arek and Orfo are testing the limits of Arek's tentacles as Orfo shoots elemental magic at them. Arek uses a tentacle to bounce up into a summer sault, then swing himself up for a pull-up.

"My god, it allows you to do that as well?!" Orfo exclaims.

"Gotta use what I got, huh?"

In the midst of their battle, Ella claps her hands together, calling attention to herself. "Boys, boy, enough! Today I'll be introducing someone." Hearing Ella, Arek, and Orfo come down to stand by her, Arek retracts his tentacles and Orfo his magic.

"Oooh, who is it?" Maya chirps, walking up to them, Xue Jiang behind her.

"Well, if you knew, I wouldn't be introducing you now, would I?"

"A new teammate?" Orfo asks, curiously.

"Useful...or useless?" Xue Jiang critically inquires.

"My goodness, one at a time, one at a time. He should be here any moment to introduce himself."

"Who?" Orfo asks again.

"Why, our new investor!" Ella chirps. Upon hearing the word investor, Arek pauses as a bad feeling fills his stomach. A moment later, the feeling is confirmed as he hears the familiar tap-tapping shoes and sees the familiar tall figure clad in a pristine suit.

Meanwhile, Ella continues cheerfully talking. "Welcome! This is Mr. Spearen, Mr. Spearen, this is our team!"

Arek locks eyes with Sayan, his mind blank except for one sentence: what the actual f**k.

Everyone but Arek choruses out a welcome, then they all return to their own things, everyone except Arek who stays there frozen. Sayan walks up to Arek.

"Arek."

Arek doesn't respond.

"Arek."

"What are you doing here?" Arek demands.

"I'm here to invest-"

"Bullshit, your company has nothing to do with this. You've obviously invested because I'm here."

"Then why did you ask?" Sayan asks, his gaze cool.

"Because-you- do you even know what kind of place this is?!" Arek bites out.

"Miss Rose has informed me." Sayan replies.

Arek looks towards her. "Of course, that's how you-why would you even let him do this?!"

Ella shrugs, "he brought in the cash."

Arek groans. "I can't believe this!" He strides out of the room, leaving Sayan and Ella.

"Such a child." Sayan sighs.

"He may have his reasons," Ella says.

"Like what? He's acting like a child as if he's in some secret club and he doesn't want his brother to be there."

"Well..." Ella says as they both look in the direction Arek ran off.

Meanwhile, Arek is muttering to himself furiously. 

"That idiot! Does he think it's all fun and games? We're dealing with monsters here, real monsters!" As he says this, Arek looks up and sees a tiny baby slime by a corner of a trashcan. Instantly a devilish smile comes onto his face as he goes off to vent.

Through the next couple of weeks, Arek avoids Sayan at all costs, especially when he's at the BTW headquarters.

"Why don't you fight mock battles anymore?" Orfo asks.

"My brother might come over," Arek replies, grimacing.

"So what?"

"So, he might see my tentacles."

"And?" Orfo asks.

"He already sees me as a weirdo, we don't need freak added to it."

"Oh come on he's your brother," Orfo replies.

"How would you feel if your brother suddenly grew massive tentacles?"

"Fair point. But..." Despite Orfo's words, Arek remains unconvinced. Avoiding his brother until the Sayan's long-awaited meeting with Mr. Long.

"He's avoiding me."

Mr. Long sighs, taking a sip of flower tea from his little earthware teacup. "I see you haven't made much progress."

"You told me to get involved with what he's doing. I did. And it didn't work."

"What are you? A child?"

"This is ridiculous. Company problems are easier to solve than this!" Sayan growls, banging his fist on the table. Mr. Long flinches.

"Or...maybe you're the one over-complicating matters." 

"How so?"

"You want me to solve it for you? To just cleanly fix this mess?"

"...What are you going to do?" Sayan eyes him suspiciously.

"Give me your phone." Slowly, Sayan does so, eyeing Mr. Long with no small amount of hesitance. 

Mr. Long looks at it. "Password?"

"That phone has important information stored in it." Sayan says sharply.

"Fine, fine I won't unlock it. Instead..." Mr. Long clicks a few buttons. "Aaha! Here we are." He makes a call.

"What are you doing, Sayan demands."

"Well, as expected, your brother was listed as an emergency contact, so...I gave him a call."

"Why?" Sayan grits out. Mr. Long holds a finger to his lips as the phone connects.

"Hi, how are you? I have kidnapped your brother and I have him in my possession. Come ASAP to this location if you want to save him. Have a great rest of your day, bye!" Mr. Long hands up, then frowns. "Chi! I still speak like a customer service representative, and I worked there years ago!"

In front of him, Sayan has his brows furrowed; he opens his mouth. "What are you-" Mr. Long snaps his fingers and instantly ropes of light bind Sayan.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Sayan roars.

Mr. Long lets out a chuckle, "Well, this will be fun."

0