Chapter 1: The Lab
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Look, Froderick! It's the windmill Madam Strigoi told us about! I knew I went in the right direction."

Mona points towards the decrepit windmill across the dam. Froderick suspicions grew into alarm as the only path was a shaky suspended bridge. And it didn't help that it lead to a fog-riddled creepy windmill leaning precariously over the waters' edge.

"Mona, something's smelling mighty fishy here. And I don't mean the trout that's gettin' electrocuted 2 inches from us." Froderick complains. Seeing pulsing wires over the lake, he pushes further into Mona's hair to shield against the pulsing cables stray bolts.

Mona shoos Froderick off her shoulder, "Nonsense! Madam's been a great help. And if she's correct about her friend, then my conditions cured! No more coffin, I can walk in the sun, and I won't have to hurt people for a drink!"

Mona drops down from her cart and excitedly knocks the windmill door.
Suddenly streaks of lightning spikes out from the top of the windmill and an evil laughter fills the air.

"Mona, not to be that guy, but I feel like I'm getting a shocking revelation that this is a terrible idea. How about we turn around and find another way to fix your aah condition? No need to go into obviously crazy scientist hom- eh?" Froderick exclaims as a miffed Mona grabs him.

"Froderick, no more jokes! If you're that scared, then keep the horse company!" During the time it took for Mona to drop Froderick the door cracks open.

A old mans voice ask, "Who goes there?" 

"Good evening Sir. Are you perhaps a Dr. Rigamortus?" Mona inquires laying Froderick back on her shoulder.

"Who is asking?" The man questions back agitated.

"I am Mona De Lafitte. Madam Strigoi told me you could help me with my, um, ailment - " Before she could finish the old man reveals himself.

A black glove stretches out, followed by a long white lab coat. A pale, sunken-faced man whose eyelids bulged dark from countless night's experimentations. He proclaims, "Ah yes! I received a letter explaining I would be expecting a guest. Please come in." Despite Rigamortus's appearance, his eyes showed reverie. He steps aside to allow Mona and a winded Froderick in to his foray.

Lamp in hand, the doctor leads past dark corridors where formula papers and half-empty concoctions could be seen every few steps. Mona is soon shown a white-coated backroom with bare necessities of a bed, side table, and bard window.

"You can rest here while I prepare my tools. For refreshments and problems there's a bell next to your door. Oh, by the way, if you hear any strange sounds... please stay in your room. A couple of my experiments have escaped in the past. Wouldn't want to get hurt and miss the, ah, stars alignment." The doctor leaves the room, abruptly locking the door behind him.

Placing his ear on the door, Froderick asserts that the doctor was out of hearing range before finally saying, "Sheesh. Talk about good host hospitality. I mean, who the heck locks up their guest! Mona, I don't want to alarm you, but this place is giving me heebie-jeebies. And between genius and insanity, this guy screams total loony-vil. Let's get outta here while the getting's good." Froderick flies onto the bard window.

But Mona rebukes back, "Froderick, Stop with all skepticism. I'm sure Dr. Rigamortus has his own reasons for doing so. He probably just wants to make sure we don't get lost." She says, discounting any possibility trickery, Mona sits on the bed. "The boat ride to Parie will be long and tiring. Since we're here let's relax while we can." She assures herself and Froderick.

That was the final straw. Seeing his warning ignored, Froderick flies out the bard window to seek comfort from the horse.

Left by her lonesome, Monas' mind drifts to the past; of being home practicing her singing, how Shrowdry stole her life, and her first year living in the castle. Her thoughts linger on how she lived in Draxsylvania...

Suddenly harsh scratching and growls can be heard from down the hall.

She knows the doctor said not to roam, but Frodericks warning and her curiosity about the doctors experiments over rules her judgement. Mona jimmies the lock using her sharp long nails, "Oh my... I don't have a light on me. But I guess this is for the best. I wouldn't want the doctor to catch me snooping." Mona whispers, tiptoeing slowly. "Whew. If I didn't have night vision and sharp hearing this place would be no different from a maze."  After many twist and turns, Mona eventually arrives at the bottom of a stare case where the sounds can be heard loudest from above.  

"This is... Should I really continue?"

What should Mona do?
  • Go up: Investigate the source of the the sounds Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Return: Listen to the doctor and go back Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Return: Go back to the room but take the strewn papers and concoctions seen before hand Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay where you are: Call Froderick for help Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
1