New Quest: survive the big bang
3.4k 22 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: New Quest: survive the big bang

North of Mirage city, a beast makes a low groan before taking its last breath while falling to the ground raising a dust cloud. Which was quickly swept away by the passing wind that had been raging for a week now. The now dead beast had a huge hole in its left eye socket, alongside which a hardly recognizable piece of metal scrap released a black smoke sticking out from the hollow hole. The beast had the body of a lion, tail of snakes, wings of a eagle and the head of an eagle.

If anyone from earth were here they would definitely recognize this beast as a Chimera.

"Ah… Ah… Ah!"

A figure stood before the carcass as they panted heavily. They wore an all black tattered cloak draped over a bloodied gray tank top. On their lower body they wore a camouflage combat pants and attached to their waist was a yellow utility belt. White bloody sneakers adorned their feet as they stood on wobbly legs.

Congratulations you have killed a chimera made from unstable mana material. You've gained experience

And with that message that popped in front of their eyes their wobbly legs couldn't take it and they fell on their butt. The torn cloak finally fell loosely on the ground revealing short red hair and a pair of red fox ears with white tips on top their head. A pair foxy shaped eyes with vertical slits on crimson pupils. Her facial features were really eye-catching, but what truly distinguished this battered and bruised figure as female was the two mid sized lumps on her chest that filled up the tank top. From underneath the black cloak, poked out a red tail with its tip soaked white that didn't move, it was as if it were dead. Also the slender but muscular build. Underneath the tank top were well stoned abs riddled with old scars and new bruises.

"So this is it huh. My limit." She said as she clenched both her hands into fists in front of her eyes. Hands full of callouses. She closed both her eyes as if resigning herself to something.

[Host, don't be sad. You still have me remember?]

A man's voice came from within her mind.

The main fact that she wasn't shocked upon hearing this voice and also actively ignored it was testament to her already being used to it.

"Four years and the most I could do was to barely be able to kill a Chimera on my own!" She grieved.

[If it makes you feel any better, normal people in groups won't even be able to prick a Chimera before they are killed, not to mention hurt one. And you did it alone at that. Be more proud!]

"Shut up Fae!"

[You know, I was never really fund of that name.]

"Too bad."

[Why did I even let you call me that? In the first place I…]

The fox woman rolled her eyes as she continued to ignore Fae.

[Miho, Miho are you listening to me? You know how much thought I put into your name? Now, why would you name me Fae when my voice is clearly male?!]

Rolling her slender eyes one more time. Eve recalled the reason why she called this annoying soul attached to the system Fae. Because in her darkest time back when she was an experimental subject in that damnable lab, the voice of Fae was like a fairy that yanked her right out of that dark place. Not that she was going to tell him that.

Compatible materials detected. Can be synthesized in system shop to produce formidable finished products. Do you wish to retrieve said materials? Y/N

[Host, quick. Yes, yes!]

Miho quickly pressed 'yes'.

A beam of light shot out from the back of her right hand and engulfed the Chimera corpse. Few seconds later, it disappeared.

"W-wha-WHAT?! FAE?!" Miho exclaimed as she stared at the back of her right hand where there was nothing.

[Relax host this is new to me too. Just calm down. Remember what I taught you? Deep breaths.]

Miho immediately started breathe as Fae instructed.

Scanning materials…

Synthesizing…

10%...

50%...

80%...

100%... Successful!

Please choose from the finished products below:

-Strengthening pill x4

-Chimera poison x1

-Instant Chimera soup x10

-Black Chimera clothing set

Time left: 09:59s

"What do I do now, Fae?"

[Focus on each item to get more information about what they are]

Miho did as she was told. And a new information appeared before her eyes.

>>Strengthening pill<<

A pill refined from the essence of the mighty beast Chimera itself. When consumed, adds an increase in the strength stat permanently.

Quality: low

Total: 4

_____________________________

>>Chimera poison<<

An extremely deadly poison extracted from the fangs of the Chimera snake parts. Has paralysis effects and extremely potent. A vial is enough to paralyzed a grown man for a day.

Quality: low

Total: 1

_____________________________

>>Instant Chimera soup<<

A well-balanced meal stuffed in a medium sized temperature insulation container. No need for any additional preparations, not even hot water. Are you hungry? You'll be, once you've tasted this exotic delicacy. Makes perfect use of all the edible parts of a Chimera, down to the innards.

Quality: low

Total: 10

_____________________________

>>Black Chimera clothing set<<

Clothing made from a Chimera's skin as leather and other parts.

_____________________________

"Fae, which one should I choose?"

[Well seeing as they are free, I don't see why you shouldn't take all of them. And you're kind of in the need of new clothes.]

Miho glanced down at her now torn and bloodied clothes. Completely unrecognizable from how it was before her rumble with the Chimera.

"I see what you mean."

Miho quickly clicked on the accept.

'ding items successfully moved to storage'

'note, only items originally from the system can be kept inside the system storage where time is frozen'

Miho quickly opened her inventory, which only has the four items she had received. And a four years stock of experience points soaring up to a whooping ten million. She quickly selected the 'black Chimera clothing set' and a set of well-defined, clean and neat black clothes materialized in front of her directly above her outstretched palms. They appeared extremely tidy, and even came with that new clothes smell she hadn't smelt in a while. One should know that getting new clothes of this quality during doomsday is near impossible. Even for those base heads around the globe.

Miho immediately began to strip out of her old clothes right where she stood without even batting an eye lid. Ever since the doomsday hit ten years ago the line between male and female had slowly begun to deteriorate, that now it's nonexistent. The concept, 'shame' has long been forgotten. After all, those with shame had long died during the initial periods of the doomsday. It's hard to care about your image when everyday is a struggle. Not knowing when you would die or what sewer you would need to crawl into to avoid mutants and monsters. Also, looking beautiful in the last days is more of a curse than a blessing.

After stripping down to her underwear, she felt the wind on her bare skin feeling refreshed. The sand carried by the wind scratching against the surface of her hard sun tanned skin riddled with scars and stitches. A piece of worn out cloth wrapped around her chest acting as a bra. And some relatively clean shorts. Hygiene has never been great after the last days.

[Could you hurry up with changing? I wish to get rid of this mosaic effect]

"You can take it off any time." Miho smirked as she replied.

Although during the last days the concept of 'shame' had been long lost. But Miho still feels self-conscious about her body. As it is an amalgamation of human and animal parts roughly sewn and stitches together. It's a wonder how those mad scientists even successfully connected the animal parts to her human nervous system while preserving their functionality. But what those scientists did to make the stitches never heal and continue to hurt was a mystery. Now it's unclear if they should be called a group of geniuses or morons.

[Your mentality might have been influenced by living a post apocalyptic world but mine hasn't, alright?! J-just please hurry and change alright?]

"Alright Fae, just a minute."

[Also don't forget the time remaining before this planet implodes on itself is three years and four days]

"..." (Miho)

[???]

"EEEEEEEHHH?!!!" (Miho) 



Author's Note


Hey there! Thanks for taking your time to read through this chapter of, 'I was reincarnated as a system... But wait, I'm not the MC?!'

This is my first actual novel on scribble... And anywhere really... But I hope to make this novel a success, WITHOUT abandoning it half way, cause I hate when other writers do that. Anyway, updates would be random as so is my inspiration. I write mainly to share my cooped up ideas and earn money. So feel free to donate. 👇


Buy me coffee ☕


Share to your friends if you enjoy reading. And follow me for notifications on updates.


See you next time, my little knowledge seekers.

73