Chapter 15: the auction
912 6 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15

Cromwell's auction. A post apocalyptic event carried out by the Cromwell house, a powerful family even before the apocalypse with business spanning across multiple countries. What made them still retain their power after the apocalypse was mostly associated with the fact the no one in the Cromwell house left with the ark. This was not because they were unable to get an invitation, but because they chose to stay on purpose. No one knows why, but this singular move earned the respect of most people left behind after the A.R.K. project departed.

 The Cromwellhouse has a notorious reputation of being able to sell anything no matter the circumstances behind the item's acquisition. This paved the way for them to never run out of clients. Of course this made them unpopular with the government back when the world was still in order, so most of their valuable auctions were carried out in secret. Their targeted audience were character of certain status in society. There is a saying that whatever you want to buy can be found at the Cromwell auction, and if it can't, it doesn't exist.

Miho followed the crowd of people into an open-air auditorium after she paid the entrance fee. She was given number card with a No. 27 on it. She was then led to a seat with the corresponding number on her card. After sitting gracefully, she scrunched up her nose in disgust.

[What's wrong?]

(The smell)

Fae who lacks a sense of smell as a system: (ب_ب)

Miho noticed the silence quickly realized what she had said wrong.

! ! !

(I'm sorry! I wasn't being considerate of you!)

[No worries. I've kinda gotten used to it over the years.]

(Oh..)

Miho let of a depressed sigh and started to formulate a way she could get Fae a body.

Perhaps sensing her rapidly deviating thoughts

[If the smell bothers you so much, then why don't you pay for a VIP booth]

(But Fae always says to keep a low profile.)

Fae thought of their past actions, that time Miho had to keep a low profile after escaping from the lab. Although back then Miho was just content about being able to leave the lab and escaping the tor...experiments, but he suddenly realized that she does deserve to be a little extravagant after all she's been through. Not to mention being humble does not conform with her fox image in Fae's memories. To him a fox lady should be a germophobe who can't stand filth, prideful even at the cost of their lives, powerful, charming and overbearing. All these qualities, Miho possesses, except she had been surpressing her desires and emotions due to Fae initially warning her to be more low key to avoid troublesome entanglement until they've acquired sufficient power to protect themselves. But now that the previous government had fled and no one's left that's chasing her, Fae didn't see any more need to limit Miho's willfulness at all. After all, she now had the power to take care of herself.

[Miho,]

(Mhmm?!)

[You know you're free, right?]

(Mm)

[You realize you are safe, right? Your persuers have already left and there is no one after you anymore.]

Realization dawned on Miho as she realized what Fae had meant by these series of questions. Fae was trying to remind her that she was free from that lab, broken free from the shackles of her persuers.

A single tear streamed down her face as she realized this fact she seemed to have forgotten. Ever since she escaped from the laboratory she had been chased ever since so she had to lay low and not attract attention to herself. That means foregoing most of her desires and curiosity to the outside world. Naturally, being on the run for a long period of time takes a toll on the mind. She was no exception. Now her only hope, friend, and her everything says she can let loose her nerves after all these years. She couldn't hold back her emotions, cause...

She. Was. FREE!!!

<•>

31