27. The Market Hub
52 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Erchpri was not suitable for life without additional support. The vast reservoirs of hydrogen fluoride scarring the otherwise barren surface made Erchpri uninhabitable. Instead of terraforming it, the company owning this planet constructed the trading center inside a large building covering the entire sphere. Built with the best materials, such as Tomengi crystals for increased stability, and up-to-date technology, Erchpri's Market Hub was the place to go for unique items.

Tejeda could see the design of the superstructure via the window as the Space Spoon flew above the scarcely discernible planetary ring. Elegant, cone-shaped glass rooftops covered Erchpri everywhere you looked. Bright hues glistened over the frame and shoddy floors, revealing a vista rivaling the sunsetrise on Genoria Prime. That is one hell of an advertisement from space, in my opinion.

The all-you-can-buy-if-you-have-the-credits vibe emanated even above the planet's atmosphere. Here lay heaven for entrepreneurs and engineers, if one had the neck to haggle with the company. Tejeda smirked. Hanga Odull couldn't handle his mouth, the company, or the haggling. If Erchpri hadn't treated him kindly, it would be easier for him to be convinced to join the team.

The Space Spoon approached within seconds the entranceway to the docking area. A vast square of metal, already open and ready for them.

Tejeda transmitted through the coms. "C1313 is on bridge duty during our stay here. Everybody else is free to leave the ship and enjoy our stay on Erchpri. Window shopping is allowed. But be back in three hours. Shayla, you are with me."

The welcome committee was waiting for them at the docks. A woman with raven hair pushed high on her head. Rubies poured over her neck like blood, complementing the red lace on her beautiful black gown. Dark eyes with fierce intensity gazed at them. Her crimson lips formed a frown. "You don't appear to have a sufficient number of credits on you."

"Oh, mistress, we are but poor travelers. Though valuable items for trade stack our cargo hold." Tejeda winked at her, with a hand over his heart. "Will you allow us first to browse the wares available in this marvelous market hub?"

Shayla and Tejeda left as soon as the woman fluttered her hand in a bored gesture. Her eyes sought other newcomers.

“Why didn’t you ask her about your friend’s whereabouts?” the second in command asked.

"Probably she would have arrested us on the spot," Tejeda replied, going through a large corridor with shops on both sides. "Hanga is not too good with keeping his affairs legit. Most likely, he is a wanted man, and we should not mention any connection with him."

“I thought we were working for the Interplanetary Police. But I feel like you are gathering a bunch of misfits better suited for an outcast crew.”

“My dear Shyla, don’t give me that sulky expression. I am a wanted man on more planets than I can count. And you still like me and work with me.”

“I work with you. But I wouldn’t go so far as to say that I like you.”

Tejeda didn’t continue their little game. More pressing matters to think about. Such as finding the nearest pub and having a drink. Hmm… Whiskey or a Zondarian horra? A hard decision.

Taverns and eateries occupied a section of the Market Hub on Erchpri. Tejeda chose the shabbiest one, knowing Hanga's preferences. He and Shayla both sat at the bar, and Tejeda ordered the Zondarian horra. It held enough DNA for him to transform into a strange kind of inebriated Zondarian if he had to shed this body.

To his surprise, Shayla ordered a whiskey. Why did this woman want to become more and more appealing? Waiting for her glass, she turned to him. “Too bad they don’t serve Jerk ketchup.”

Was that her way of telling she wanted him? Maybe he was overthinking things. Lost in his thoughts, Tejeda almost missed the man passing by him, even though a Valerian was hard to miss. Their unnatural red skin stood out.

In the last second, Tejeda reached out and grabbed the Valerian’s wrist. “Hi, Hanga. It's me, Tejeda.”

“Hi,” he responded and continued his walk. Taking a seat at the other side of the long bar, he ordered a whiskey with two ice cubes.

Tejeda smashed his cup on the ground, startling Shayla. He marched his way down the bar and grabbed a seat next to the Valerian, sitting and resting his weight on the chair's back two legs.

“Hanga, you owe me at least a talk. Where is Maya?”

"Maya left me. She said I was not the man she had fallen in love with. And she was right." Hanga’s hand trembled. A few drops of the liquid inside his glass splattered on the counter. "See? I don’t owe you anything anymore.

“I told you that plan would backfire.”

“What plan?” Shayla asked, pulling the chair next to Tejeda.

“Hanga here had the wonderful plan to ask me to make Maya love him. And I did.”

"Oh, ahh..." Shayla shook her head, disgusted. "Don't tell me you took his face and played her?"

Tejeda nodded, wondering whether he could call Hanga his friend. He didn’t have any.

Hanga's head bounced every time a glass clinked. Valerians' constant grins and large noses gave the impression that they were trustworthy, but appearances may be misleading. His feet tapped on the floor, causing the case he had shoved between his legs to sway.

“Hanga Odull, you are under arrest.” A facility’s security droid towered over them.

Hanga ran outside without saying anything, trailed by his inorganic pursuer. Tejeda's attention shifted from the exit to the case Hanga had placed at his feet. He stared at it for a few moments, unsure whether he should take it or leave it.

Gaining confidence that the item presented no immediate threat, Tejeda shook the box. When nothing happened, he reeled it in with additional force. He took a glance inside the case after opening it. The metal thing looked to be no larger than the size of his head. Tejeda cleared the top layers of dust and it vibrated with each thrust. Two legs protruded from the object.

“We won’t make it back to the ship in three hours,” Tejeda muttered, staring with a raised eyebrow at the thing inside the box.

3