32. The Spreahs
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tejeda and Shayla followed the Spreah couple along a riverbank. The stream bent at an almost right angle.

Shayla slowed down, putting more distance between them and the Spreahs. That way, the Yacleemb locals wouldn't be able to hear. "We should have told the others where we were going, Tejeda."

“Don’t worry, my dear Shayla,” he replied with an all-knowing smirk. “Did you think our new uniforms are just for kinks?”

She scrutinized his uniform, a purple long-sleeved jacket with a v-neckline and two vertical silver stripes. The pants were of the same material and color, the stripes continuing along them too. The only differences between his uniform and hers were that hers had a more slim-fit cut and a far down neckline. There were the kinks.

With a theatrical gesture of her hands, Shayla pointed at her body, stopping at her deep cleavage. “What other roles does this have?”

"Oh, that's just for my amusement." Tejeda wink at her. "However, the uniform contains numerous utility features, including a tracking beacon. Our E00 knows where we are and several other data about our health, like our adrenaline levels, pulse, and so on. If we are in any danger, he will summon the crew to assist us."

A fish sprang out of the water and tumbled above the surface. As the fish returned to its watery world, Tejeda prodded Shayla with his elbow. "See! Food." Then he laughed at his joke.

The humph she let out informed him that his second in command didn't get his humor. Someday he would make her appreciate it. As he made himself that promise, Tejeda noticed that they had arrived at the Spreah village.

He recognized the large, vertical cliff. It loomed above them along the riverside, trapping them between the towering hill and the flowing water. Caverns studded the vertical wall, the openings high enough for the Spreahs.

They needed to climb two rows of rocky stairs to get to the caves, so even if the river overflowed, they were protected from the flood. Tejeda admired the Spreahs' ingenuity and vision for creating this safe refuge without thumbs because it made many tasks much more difficult. 

An older native, with grey mane and silvery wool, came to greet them, his hooves thudding over the rocky surface near the entrance to the caves. A scar the color of crimson wine flowed from the corner of his eye and zigzagged midway down his jaw.

Tejeda stared back at him, trying not to shiver at the sight of the yellow compound eyes. Even though he had seen identical eyes many times before, he had an innate aversion that made him cringe. The actual issue was Tejeda's refusal to recall a period when he had similar eyes. Anyhow, this was not the time to reflect on his stay with the Spreahs as one of their own.

When the young Spreah male who brought them there noticed his troubled countenance, he whispered, "Rylus may appear frightening, but he is quite harmless. His voice is piercing, and his scar is hideous, but he is a kind, caring leader. You'll see."

“And you talk too much, Crayos.” Rylus stopped in front of them. “Maybe that is why Arya’s father rescinded your invitation inside his cave.”

Crayos, the young Spreah male, blushed and looked at the ground, avoiding the stares he drew upon himself. Maybe by being quiet now, he wanted to show everyone that Rylus misjudged him.

The Spreah leader turned to Tejeda. “Welcome, traveler. Our tradition says that one must eat after a long journey. You sure seem like coming from afar since I’ve never laid eyes upon your kind. Come, let’s eat together.”

Shayla and Tejeda followed Rylus into a big cave in the middle of the complex. The smell of stale cabbage pervaded the air. Piles of vegetables stocked that cave. On the ground along the walls, purple foliage surrounded the spherical hearts of young leaves. In the back, a wide pot hung above a sparkling fire, steam coming out of it. Several other Spreahs prepared dinner.

Rylus stopped and looked mesmerized at the fiery view. “Fire is like anger. It produces fumes and swells. It devours everything, yet it cannot be satisfied. It can take lives and cause misery, but it also can create.”

They gathered around a modest wooden table. Rylus resumed when they had all nestled comfortably on the chilly floor. "After showing us how to produce fire, the supreme being left us with this amazing discovery. Many of us were killed when this magnificent beast set some of us ablaze. It took us years to tame it and be able to celebrate at a table with something like this."

A female Spreah came with clay bowls. Rylus invited them to eat with a gesture of his hooved hand. The stew was rich with veggies, dumplings, and no meat at all, but it was far superior to anything the girls had prepared up to this point.

“I hope you’ll find the concoction to your liking,” Rylus said, watching them sipping directly from the bowl. “It contains some of our favorite herbs.”

“Some meat would have been great in it,” Tejeda replied, putting the empty dish on the table.

“We don’t eat other living beings.”

A bird similar to those that had attacked Shayla landed near the entrance to the cave. The feathered friend looked at them, extended its wings, and took flight.

“We need a diversified diet. Can you help us find birds, fish, reptiles?” Shayla asked.

The notion of reptiles had Rylus shiver from head to hoof. “We are herbivores. Don’t eat meat. So, we can’t help you grab birds, fish or,...” He shivered again with disgust on his face.

After a last trembling flicker, the fire died out. All the Spreahs drew near the pot as the smoke rose to the cave’s ceiling. They all spoke in a chorus. “Thank you, Tejeda Hajar, for giving us this precious gift. We will always cherish it in our hearts and spread our joy with your fellow travelers.”

The Nubilae leaned closer to Shayla and whispered. "The passage of time distorts old events. Their twisted teachings, which I call brainwashing, influenced their minds. Only a bunch of knuckleheads would thank me. I'm not interested in such frivolous matters." His coal-black eyes twinkled. "Shayla, do you think they created a statue of me?"

2