6. White Clouds
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yep, there’s a revolution in the air” Benson said as we sat in the ramen shop for dinner. “It was only a matter of time really,” 

“You aren’t afraid? I asked picking at my bowl in an attempt to pick up a piece of pork belly

“Why would I be? I don’t make myself a target so no one would want to kill me”  he then looked at me with an accusing squint “Do you have something to hide?”

“No, I’m just…. Scared I guess” keeping my voice level. “We’re stuck in history after all”  It was completely true I’m scared, but it was because I had something to lose if I was found out. Not that Benson knew about it. And even if he did I’m not sure he would be the type to care. He told me not to worry, that it would eventually die down and that everything would just go back to normal. After all, it’s happened before it’ll happen again it was addressed by the tribunal and we’ll be fine right? I wasn’t too sure but I didn’t want C to give me that answer. Part of me already knew it. Benson noticed the silence and thankfully switched the topic surprisingly or unsurprisingly depending on how you look at it to dating.

“So….girls huh?” He shifted in his seat which signaled a degree of discomfort or it could’ve just been his default.

“Yep, like I said they are just easy to talk to, why are you bringing this up again? We’re kinda in a situation here”

“I don’t know, I guess it just seems…. Cool”

“Cool? You’re an asexual dude that’s just as cool, if not cooler”

“You don’t think I’m….. broken?”

“No? Who the hell thinks that?” I clenched my fist under the table. “If it’s anyone around here they will get a cane to the face.”

“They will?” He lost his smile which gave him a sad puppy dog quality to his face. 

“Yeah, you don’t like to bang people so what? That doesn’t mean you’re broken. You just need some friends and that’s what I’m here to do, be your friend. If you want a date we’re going to have to work on well…. Everything but we all have to start somewhere right?”

“You’d date me? I thought you-”

Panromantic remember? I’m willing to try having a relationship with anyone. But you are my superior so this might not be the best idea unless you want to be unprofessional about it.”

“Right, keep things professional, but you’d help me with everything?”

“ Benson. We’re friends, it's what friends do,” I smirked “and now that I actually have a paycheck we can easily start the process. If you want”

“Are you suggesting a shopping trip? I know a few decent places”

“Shopping, the gym, teaching you how dating actually works” 

“Hey, I’m- Wait… You dated before?”

I sighed while debating. Do I lie to him? I dated before but it was just something casual, it had to be so I just nodded yes which led to a whole bunch of other questions all of which led to noncommittal answers. He then smiled again as dessert came, a small plate of mochi. I didn’t take any, paid my bill, and left staring at the skyscrapers. Revolution is coming and I’m caught in the middle of it. On one hand, I could jump on board and could invite some sort of change to Atlas as the BLM marches in the classical era. It’s an invigorating feeling, but on the other hand, I could be made an example of. What would C do? Would they defend me? Don’t even bother thinking that you know they wouldn’t. They can’t afford to. You’re just a pawn in this game, what side are you on? Is there a side where I will be safe?

0