Ch.3 A Dragon in Human Skin
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the passage of night came the dawning of a few day, punctuated by the piercing cry of a hawk who successfully captured its prey. Beneath a grey sky tree tops danced in the breeze, below the canopy all manner of insect and beast scurried. Yearling Razorback Boars rooted for spiritual plants hidden beneath a new layer of snow, while Spirit Foxes prowled for hidden rabbit dens. The Misty Valley was awash with life, both new and old, one over taking the other. Like new saplings springing up after a fire, a never ending cycle of death and rebirth. 

A clarion call sounded, the cry of life born anew, shaped from withered mortal husks. With great strain the figure of a young man struggled against the confines of his earthly prison. Each clash of his fists against the walls of that restrained him brought with it cracks which shone through with the dull glow of a winter's day. He reveled at every breath that filled his lungs with cool air and invigorated his starving body. He jammed his fingers into the cracks and with a mighty roar, tore his shackles asunder.

His chest heaved from the effort, but there was no burning sting one would associate with the icy cold. Warmth flooded his body, his breathing slowed, in through the nose and out through the mouth. His eyes closed, focused on the alien feeling, as his lungs pumped away like a great bellows. It flowed through him, a strange energy that glowed with the warmth of the sun, from his lungs out into his body where it seeped into his flesh and bones. It was a strange marvelous feeling.

Excited Nu Long opened his eyes, but the great cavern and Monarch Nine Tails were no where to be seen. Only a little snow white fox, curled up around the shaft of a pole arm which had been sank into the earth. A tired sigh escaped his lips, he had at least wanted to thank Monarch Nine Tails for taking pity on one such as him self. Instead he reached out and scratched between the ears of the little white fox who awoke with a yawn, before tilting it's head into his fingers.

Even though the Monarch was no where to be seen, he could still feel her presence stretched from one end of the valley to another. A divinity that suffused the earth, air, and water with it's serene calm, this he some how understood was her domain. An area under the direct control of high raking demon beasts that became shaped by their very nature. 

No longer was he blinded by the thick fog, he could finally see the truth of its ephemeral nature. It was nothing more than a projection of her domain, one meant to confuse and confound those who entered bearing hostility or greed in their hearts.

With a frown he pulled the strange weapon from the ground and stared at it in wonder. The head was comprised of a large crescent shaped chopping saber socketed into the mouth of a  roaring dragon, it's blade carved with wavy patterns. Giving off the impression of a dragon breathing flames. The five foot shaft was a dark aged green color, at the other end lay a pyramid shaped spike also fitted to a gold socket. Both the blade and spike were tarnished a pitted, giving off a sickly green color. 

Though Nu Long hadn't the slightest clue how one might wield such a weapon he felt invariably drawn to it's artistic beauty. Perhaps most of all it was the strange power he felt lurking deep with in the ancient weapon, like a slumbering beast, that had convinced him to take the weapon with him.

"Now what do I call you" he questioned aloud towards the fox which was currently nuzzling it's head against the side of his leg.

"Yuki" the name sounded with in his mind, a feeling reminiscent of fresh snow wafted over him.

Nu-Long's brow furrowed, he hadn't exactly expected to hear an anwser, much less in his mind.

"How the hell did you do that" he questioned, squatting down to look the Spirit Fox in it's icy blue eyes.

A soft amused chuckle that pattered like falling snow flakes entered his mind "Transmission, it is but one of the many ways to use spiritual energy, little fledgling" Yuki replied teasingly with a smug expression

The start of a frown began to form on Nu-Long's face but he couldn't seemed to stay annoyed with the cute little ball of fluff, " and how might I be able to use this spiritual energy" he questioned.

"First you have have to form your core" she stated in a flat matter of fact tone.

"And, how would one go about forming said core" Nu-Long questioned through a gritted teeth smile, rolling his hand in a gesture for her to continue. Hoping that he might actually be able to get a sensible explanation out of the mischievous fox.

"How might a bird teach a toad to fly, how might a fox teach a dragon to be a dragon. The bird can only ever be a bird and the toad a toad, me a fox, and you a dragon, so think like a dragon Yuki replied with with a chuckle.

"Such wisdom" Nu-Long replied, his tone dripping with sarcasm.

The young boy stroked his hairless chin as his mind began to wander. Dragons, for all intents and purposes were little more than legends as far as his clansmen had been concerned. He still hadn't come to terms with the fact that he had come face to face with said legend, killed it and some how absorbed it's body and soul.

In their legends, dragons were less creatures and more the wrath of nature incarnate. Destruction and death followed in their wake as they ravaged the lands with storms, swept clean the lands of all manner of beasts. Some times though the were creatures of great avarice, stealing and hoarding the wealth of entire dynasties in their hidden lairs. There were also stories of lesser dragons, lustful creatures that they were, collecting vast harems of nubile concubines.

While Nu Long was lost in thought a great rumbling gurgle began to fill the air and his mouth began to drip with slaver. A deep gnawing hunger formed in the depths of his belly driving him near to madness, back and forth his head swung in search of some anything to feed the ravenous beast. Sensing the rich energy around him the boy sank to his knees, one after another he seized handfuls of the obsidian coloured shards that lay scattered around. His jaw ached as his teeth became like razor sharp fangs, with a crunch he bit into the shards of what had one been his egg. Strange flavours assaulted his tongue as various concepts began to fill his mind. Lost in a glutinous orgy the youth's mind separated from his body.

Nu-Long was a man no longer but a great dragon who sailed through the skies, a tyrant that ruled over all that lay between heaven and earth. He climbed sacred mountains and drank deeply from mystic pools. Wild, untamed, and imperious he roamed the land in search of treasures, slaughtered his foes,  and feasted on their corpses with reckless abandon. He mated with beautiful women, crushed all who dared to oppose him, and finally he roared his defiance towards the damnable heavens which trapped in this accursed shattered realm.

With a roar Nu Long sat up, rivulets of cold sweat dripped down his fore head as he stared at the light of a green moon. He finally understood what Yuki meant, a fox could only be a fox and a dragon could only be a dragon. 

His blood ran hot, hunger still gnawed at his stomach though it was little more than an annoyance. Eyes wide open he could finally see the specters that had haunted his every moment. The were gaseous things, twisted abominations of faces he had once known crying out in torment. They were nothing more than a manifestation of his self loathing and the guilt that had chipped away at his sanity. The mind and will of a dragon were not so fragile as to be tormented by such pitiable creatures. Nu-Long took a deep breath and tore into them, devouring one after another until at last the glade had fallen silent.

Still he had not formed his core, he could feel the concentration of spiritual energy in his body. It was thin, like a watery soup, if he had tried to form a core from such energy it would be an amorphous thing. Shapeless, with out substance, and with out power, he needed more, much much more.

Yuki watched the young boy in amusement, he was just like a freshly awoken newborn. Driven purely by instinct, and carried along by legs that could barely support it's own weight.

With a snort an old Razorback Boar sniffed the air nervously, three lines of razor sharp fur that had long lost their yellow luster stood on end. The boar snorted again, turning it's attention away from the hundred year old ginseng it had been digging up. Something was coming through the underbrush, it's aura thick with bloodlust. Seeing the figure of a young brat hurtling towards him the beast snorted in amusement stamped his hooves and met the brat head on.

A sickening crunch filled the air as Nu-Long's ribs snapped like twigs beneath the boar's mighty charge, followed by a thud as his body slammed into the ground.

"Eat this" the old boar sent with a snorted chuckle, slapping the hundred year old ginseng towards the downed figure before trotting off to find greener pastures.

A groan of pain followed by a wheeze escaped Nu Long's lips as he struggled to lift his body, a coughing fit sent spatters of scarlet spraying from his mouth.

"What in the hell happened" he thought as he looked doen at the deep purple bruise and cuts that covered his half naked body.

"You've spent the past few hours running about the forrest trying to hunt down demon beasts, also you met Lord Jiéshí" Yuki chuckled in the icy condescending tone.

"Here eat this" she barked nudging the ginseng root into his hand.

Gingerly he brought the root to his mouth and bit down, a rich licorice like flavorflooded into his mouth along with a flood of spiritual energy. Slowly his ribs began to knit back together and his bruises faded away. His body still ached but he was no longer in crippling pain.

"Thanks" he muttered as he picked himself up.

"Your suffering was all the thanks I needed" she chuckled teasingly.

"Ugh, what now" he pondered aloud as he searched around for his Dragon Saber, at least that is what he was calling it.

"Now we leave, you're too weak to hunt in the Misty Vale, and you'll find not all Lords are as kind as Old Man Jiéshí" she replied leading him towards where she had dragged his Guandao.

Nu-Long's brow furrowed, "what do you mean by we" he questioned with an incredulous tone .

"I'm coming with you, mother's been nagging me to leave for some time, the fact that I find you amusing is a bonus" she replied snarkily as she sauntered ahead, prancing along like some pure bred show animal.

"Where are we heading exactly" he asked as she led him back up the steep slopes of the valley.

"To that horrible town that always stinks of smoke and rotting eggs" she replied seeming to avoid every ditch and gully that had made his live miserable before.

He was annoyed by her habit of giving half answers, slowly but surely it felt like any control he once had over his life was being carried away by this little dictator.

"Why the town" he questioned with a slight scowl.

"You need resources if you don't want to wind up driven half mad by starvation again, those silly little sects the humans tend to form like to hoard such resources like burrowing squirrels" she explained as if she speaking to a child, then again he was a child.

Lu Gong nearly spit out his lunch as he saw a familiar figure approaching the gate, at least he thought the figure looked like the brat who had been staying at the barracks. The kid seemingly went missing two days ago, the figure looked a lot like the youth from before. But this young man carried him self differently, he didn't look like some half staved mountain barbarian, but some valorous young hero coming back from battle. 

"Hey brother Gong" the kid called out causing the guardsman to frown till he got a closer look at the young man's face.

Lu Gong's bushy eyebrows shot up "Nu-Long what in the happened to you, the boys were worried about you" he questioned patting the youth on the shoulder as he ushered him through the gate.

"Let's just say I had a lucky encounter" the young man replied patting the warm hearted man on the shoulder.

"It's good your safe at least" Lu Gong sighed, shaking his head in disbelief at the young man.

"Hey uh brother Gong, can I ask you a favor, where can I find a good sect in town" he questioned.

Lu Gong frowned "the White Lotus Pavilion is near near the Governor's villa while the Iron Blood Consortium is all over the damn place but you can find their head quarters is near their trade hall. As for the Crimson Horizon Sect, I wouldn't recommend them but they're located near the slums on the west side".

After his experience with the White Lotus pavilion he'd rather not set foot there again, "what's wrong with the Crimson Horizon Sect" he questioned.

A. tired groan escaped Lu gong's lips " don't get me started on those louts, constantly getting into drunken brawls, challenging every one and their mother to duels, acting like the laws of us mere mortals are beneath their notice".

Nu-Long's face unconsciously split into an excited grin, they sounded like exactly what he was looking for.

Lu Gong released a weary sigh and shook his head as he watched the young man heading westward " so long kid" he muttered softly before returning to his lunch.

The Crimson Horizon Sect cared not for the trappings of wealth or a sense of scholarly superiority. From their plain wooden buildings to the coarse weave of their students clothes they bore no airs of pretentiousness. They were warriors first and cultivators second, they honed the sharpness of their spirits through battle rather than waste their time debating the Dao.

Rough and tumble figures could be seen in the court yard locked in fierce fights, the sounds of ringing steel and battered flesh filled the air. Raucous cheering could be heard from those who watched from the side lines, bets were exchanged and wine flowed freely. They were wild souls, untamed by the fetters of civilization.

Nu-Long could only watch in awe, his blood boiling as two combatants sparred. Two young men faced off against one another, one wielding a sword the other a saber. The man with the saber charged forward with powerful chopping blows, but his opponent countered with nimble parries and deadly thrusts. Unable to match the swordsman's speed the saber wielder caught his opponents thrust under his arm and latched onto the man's wrist. Crack after crack resounded as the saber wielder headbutted the swordsman into submission. After the match both figures bowed respectively before stepping out of the ring for treatment.

"What do you want brat" a deep voice called out to him.

Nu-Long turned to face the largest man he had ever seen. The man was bald headed with a big bushy beard and deep brown eyes. Scars crisscrossed the man's chest, some Nu-Long recognized as they matched some scars carried by his clan's hunters. 

"To join" he stated flatly staring down the burly man with his fierce emerald green gaze.

"Go back to your mother's apron strings brat" a man called out from the side lines eliciting a laugh from his compatriots.

Nu Long fixed the man with an icy glare gritting his teeth as blood began to rush to his head. Even the recent changes that had elevated him above the his human nature could not soothe that particularly raw wound. 

Guan Yu regarded the young man who stood before him, there was no fear or trepidation in his face. The kid stood up straight, his bearing proud and imperious. Though it was the boy's eyes which caught Guan Yu' attention most. They shone with brilliance like a pair of emerald sparkling in the summer sun, but they were also filled with deep unbridled rage. A rage so strong that if not controlled would send the kid to an early grave.

In terms of body the boy had a tall broad shouldered build with a thick covering of tough sinewy muscle. His jaw line was strong, the kid would certainly never win any beauty contests that was for sure. Though he would grow to posses a rugged charm no doubt. His hair was a dark brown color with a slight red tint, tied back as his people were want to do. The boy was a promising candidate to be sure.

"Hit me with everything you've got" Guan Yu commanded in his deep gravelly tone. 

Taking his eyes off of the snide bastard he turned his focus back to the scarred man. He took several deep breaths, filling his lungs with spiritual energy that flowed into his muscles. With a roar he steeped forward throwing his full weight into his fist, the loud smack of fist against flesh filled the air. Coupled with a sickening crack, Nu Long let out a growl as the bones of his hand shattered.

"Haha, good punch, on par with a body cultivator who reached the stage of Blood Tempering " Guan Yu chuckled warmly, a wide grin plastered across his face.

"Ha Tian, this brat's about as strong as you are" a warm skinned muscle babe with a brassy voice called out mockingly towards the man that had been so bold earlier.

"Daiyu, perfect timing find our new disciple a place to stay, the rest of you louts, Body Forging of the Nine Hells" Guan Yu uttered with a wicked smile, menacingly following the men while tapping a huge saber on his shoulder.

"Eat this" Daiyu stated tossing a pill into Nu-Long's mouth nearly causing him to choke on the strange medicine.

Nu Long quirked a brow, the pill was almost as effective as the ginseng he had eaten before.

"Thanks Daiyu" he replied while trying to rub the back of his still mildly aching hand.

"That's Big Sis" she replied thumping the butt of her Fangtian Ji against the ground while smothering the boy against her voluminous chest.

"Eh" Nu-Long sputtered as he uselessly struggled against his captor.

"Big Sis" she reaffirmed while staring down at him like a wolf eyeing up a small rabbit.

"Thank you Big Sis" he grumbled against his soft comfortable prison as his cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

" Uwah, so cute" Daiyu exclaimed squeezing him tighter and lifting him off the ground before suddenly letting him go.

A weary sigh escaped his lips as he dusted him self off " this woman's insufferable" he mentally grumbled.

Yuki laughed as she watched in amusement, her form shrouded behind mystical energies. 

As much as he didn't want to admit it Nu-Long couldn't help but stare at Daiyu as she led him away. She was a peculiar example of the female species. For starters she was tall enough to rival some of the biggest men from his clan, though her skin was warm tan tone that he had never seen before. Wide hips clad in a loin cloth swayed with every step, showing off plenty of her lusciously thick thighs. Between her sizable breasts, thin waist, and child bearing hips Daiyu had a lovely curve to her body.

 It wasn't long before Nu-Long found himself in a small room, barely smaller than the hut in which he had spent most of his life. There were no adornments, no furniture to speak of save for a single sleeping mat which lay in the corner. Lifeless and plain though he found it to be rather comfortable.

Daiyu poked her head into the room with a cheshire like grin "your training starts tomorrow, dinner is held a sunset and breakfast at sun up. Both are served at the main hall, and remember if you need anything just ask Big Sis" she blew him a kiss as she slipped away.

A groan escaped his lips as he lay his head down on the thin sleeping mat while letting his mind wander. He truly had no idea what to think of his new lot in life, not yet any way. So far everything he had done so far had been driven a singular all consuming goal. At first it his desire to avenge his clansmen had benn nothing more than a bad joke, a childish delusion. One that would sooner see him killed than succeed, now with the aid of Monarch Nine Tails and what ever he could gain from the Crimson Horizon Sect, he had a real chance. 

It also how ever left him with a great dilemma, from the power displayed by Shen Wu and others. Just how strong were his enemies, how strong would he have to become to face them. Would he even be able to find the men who bore the black orchid brooches, and if he could how long would it take.

The more he had gained the more uncertain he had become, he had seen what it had meant to be a dragon. The grandness of the vision had enamoured Nu-Long, surely there had to be some greater goal beyond slaughtering the men who had destroyed his clan.

Such thoughts occupied the young boy's thoughts well into the evening, in the end he decided to worry about those things when the tine finally came.

0