Chapter 15 — Friends
209 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Akio was surrounded my girls his age, they were all swooning at his looks, I guess.

 

Shizuka was dancing with some random man, and would slip out of his grasp when he tried to touch her.

 

That’s right. It’s now the free dancing time, as well as the last session of the banquet.

 

“You should try tying your hair up, Toru. Why not try it at school this time.”

 

“No way, I finally recognised what it meant to be popular, I shall now melt more into the shadows.”

 

“Ahaha, well, suit yourself.”

 

Eiji spoke as he finished dancing with his third partner, who had started dancing with another man.

 

“I’m worn out!!”

 

Akio screamed quietly as he approached us, his face was pale white. He grabbed a slice of cake from the food table and turned towards us with his usual smile.

 

“Good time?”

 

“No.”

 

“How many partners have you danced with? I danced with 23.” (Akio)

 

“Wow. I got myself three partners. I mean, with you guys around, it would be hard to find a partner.”(Eiji)

 

“I danced with 7.”(Toru)

 

Again, I was amazed by the stamina Akio had when it  comes to girls. I know he had tried his best to keep up with his good impression in front of other girls.

 

“This number alone makes you even more scumbag than I think you are.”

 

The expressionless Shizuka walked towards us. Her face was pale white as a sheet as well. 

 

“The men, they are all...scum.” (Now, this is just Shizuka’s point of view, take no offence)

 

“Sorry, Shizuka…”

 

I tried to smile as I handed her a cup of juice. She had tried to fend off men that tried to sexually harass her, and I knew it was a tough job.

 

“You don’t need to apologise, you yourself is a scumbag as well.”

 

“...”

 

That’s a bit true, I guess. Considering that I had danced with 7 girls in front of my ex-girlfriend.

 

“The banquet is ending. You all should be prepared for school tomorrow.”

 

My mother approached us with a smile on her face, my father was right behind her. It seemed that they had a fun time dancing with each other. Shizuka’s parents were doing the same.

 

“Understood, we will be leaving right away.”

 

I was more than happy to leave this place.

 

“You could go back by bus, the driver is a bit busy at the moment, you know.”

 

“It’s okay. It’s a one way trip with the bus.”

 

“See you after who-knows-when!”

 

With that, we said our farewells with our parents and waited patiently at the bus stop. I kept my hair down, as I didn’t want to attract any attention. 

 

But the dazzling Shizuka standing next to me was enough to earn stares directed at me. And they weren’t what you’d call friendly.

 

“A tiring day, huh?”

 

Shizuka asked as we took a seat on the bus. There were only the two last seats on the farthest row of the bus. So we had to sit together. Shizuka didn’t seem to mind.

 

“Yes. But it was...fun. I guess.”

 

“Remember how I had to catch you when you almost tripped because you were dancing too fast?”

 

“Or when you covered your face when you saw yourself on the screen?”

 

“W-Why are you talking about that?”

 

She turned away with a flustered face.

 

Cute. I wanted to tease her more, but stopped myself at the last second.

 

“Hey, what do you consider our relationship now?” (Shizuka)

 

“Friends?...I guess.”(Toru)

 

“Friends, Huh?”(Shizuka)

 

She stared out the window of the bus. A second later, the bus stopped at the last bus stop, which was near our apartment. So we had to walk a five minute walk back home.

 

“So I can call you Naka-baka now?”

 

“Then that means I’ll have to call you Shi-Chan.”

 

“Ew no, that’s disgusting.”

 

We laughed heartily, but the noise was quickly swallowed by the darkness around us. 

 

“I’ll call you Toru-kun then.”

 

“Fine. I’ll call you Shizuka-san.”

 

“Would you like it if I called you Bakamura instead?”

 

“What? No!!”

 

“Call me Shizuka-Chan then.”

 

“S-Shizuka-Chan.”

 

Her face flushed red as I spoke her first name, but it was hardly visible under the dim light of the moon and sidewalk lamp posts.

 

“Do you know? I was actually happy to have you as my neighbour.”(Shizuka)

 

“Eh? Why?”(Toru)

 

“At least you don’t see me as a goddess.”

 

“Is that another way of complimenting yourself? Well, I admit it’d be hard for you if you had a fan for a neighbour.”

 

“Like your lunatic mother.”

 

“Or your siscon little brother.”

 

We added together. We really do have a lot in common, it was fun just to talk to her like this. I figured that being friends may be even better than being a couple, as we get along less awkwardly.

 

She asked again.

 

“It’s your birthday next week, right?”

 

“I’m surprised you remembered.”

 

It was truly my birthday next week, I threw her a surprised look and averted my eyes.

 

“Well, be grateful I did. I shall celebrate with you at your house. Remember to clean up.”

 

“Wait what?”

 

“If you clean up nicely, I’ll consider bringing a present for you too.”

 

“...”

 

I watched her silhouette as we opened both our doors, said goodbye to each other and went into our separate homes.

 

.

 

They are now friends! I consider this a fast progress.

5