Chapter 21 — Past and secrets
215 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  • Side: Toru Nakamura 

We departed from the amusement park and rode the bus silently. Shizuka hadn’t talked to me after the incident about Chihiro’s ankle, the time when I gave her a piggyback ride.

She couldn’t be jealous now, could she?

“Do you like her?”

“Who?”

“Chihiro-san.”

Shizuka dropped this on me halfway back to the house on the bus.

“If I liked her, I wouldn’t even date you.”

“...that’s true. But what if your personality was as twisted as Akio?” (In one of the chapters, Akio said that the fact that he was a playboy was because he wanted to practise for his loved one)

“Do I look like a playboy to you?”

“...”

“Don’t give me the silent treatment, it won’t work.”

On that note, we got off the bus and headed home side by side. Suddenly, Shizuka stopped.

“What?”

“Give me a piggyback ride.”

“...Pardon?”

“Give me a piggyback ride.”

I was about to ignore her unreasonable request, but she looked so serious that I thought maybe she would stand here all day just to wait for me, and I have no intention to succumb to my conscience and go back to pick her up. 

She was wearing her usual ‘random stranger’ attire, so people would not recognise her.

I crouched down to my knees and offered her my back, the same I did to Chihiro. She climbed up my back and wrapped her arms around my neck. I started walking again, she was surprisingly light for someone her height. (FYI. Shizuka was 165 cm and 46 kg. Toru is 172 cm and 57 kg.)

“Why do you always keep your hair down?” (Shizuka)

“...that’s none of your business.” (Toru)

“Is it because you hate cats?” (Shizuka)

“No, not particularly.” (Toru)

She pouted, even more curious about the fact why I keep my hair down.

“Does Chihiro know why?” (Shizuka)

“No?” (Toru)

“Tell me then. Let’s trade, tell me your secret and I’ll tell you why I changed my attitude.” (Shizuka)

I was really curious about why Shizuka changed so much that I didn’t care about my secret anymore. Funny how I cared.

“The fact I kept my hair down was to cover my eyes.”

“I know that. But why do you hate your eyes?”

“...when I was seven, there was this cat that my family adopted.” (Toru)

“Mhm.” (Shizuka)

“I named it Kuro, because it was black.” (Toru)

“...” (Shizuka)

“One day, I took the cat out for a walk.” (Toru)

“Do you need to walk a cat!?” (Shizuka)

I shrugged.

“I was foolish back then. The cat saw a ball on the road, but it was full of cars. I tried to stop it from going to the road. But curiosity killed the cat, a car ran over Kuro, and he was dead. After several cars passed by, I went towards my beloved cat and picked him up, his blank eyes were staring at me, as if saying ‘why didn’t you save me!?’ From then on, whenever I saw my eyes, I would remember the exact same eyes as Kuro, and bad memories would flood my brain...that’s all.”

I teared up a little at the end of my story, while Shizuka went silent.

“I don’t think that’s your fault.” (Shizuka)

“Huh?” (Toru)

Shizuka took off her mask and revealed her goddess- like face. There were no pedestrians and cars on the street and road, so it was fine.

“But I could’ve stopped him, it was all my fault…” (Toru)

I really liked Kuro, he was the only companion I had when my parents were busy overseas. Kuro was a six year old birthday present my mother sent me, she thought that I needed a friend.

My grip tightened on Shizuka, she flinched and began to hold my back tighter, but she didn’t order me to stop at once. Maybe she’s too tired from the long day to walk by herself.

“Tell yourself it’s not your fault ten times, then you’ll feel better.”

“...I’ll try.”

I silently pledged to myself that I should try this at home, I somehow bear deep trust in her words.

“So...what happened at your old school?”

It was Shizuka’s turn to confess her secret.

“Back at my school, there was no caste.” (Shizuka)

“That’s good, right?” (Toru)

“I haven’t even finished…!” (Shizuka)

“...” (Toru)

I shut myself up, if my hands were free, I would’ve made a zipping sign over my mouth.

“There was no caste system, but there was this king and queen system.” (Shizuka)

“How does that work?” (Toru)

“There were four kings and four queens, the others who were not chosen can only be followers of either one of the kings or one of the queens, regardless of their gender.” (Shizuka)

“That’s messed up, let me guess, you were one of the queens.” (Toru)

“Yes, I was a queen, and my followers were the most out of the four queens. It was normal competition, the other queens ignored me, not paying much attention. Until…” (Shizuka)

“Until?” (Toru)

“Until the four kings confessed to me at the same time.” (Shizuka)

“...” (Toru)

I went silent, I was well aware of my ex girlfriend’s charms. I was more aware that the four kings of her old school were the top idol of Japan (even more good looking than Akio), the best singer in Japan, a handsome and rich transferee from Sweden and a twelve year old cute boy that had skipped a few grades because of his abnormal intelligence. Shizuka gripped my clothes harder, this was too much for her.

“Of course I rejected them. But then, they started attacking me. After that, my followers countered, but only about one third of the school was on my side. The queens bullied me as well, it was mental abuse, so I didn’t have evidence. I quitted the school a year later and transferred to your school. 

How can I say this? I’m really relieved I’m at your school.” (Shizuka)

“Huh? Why? I’m from the lowest caste, you know.”

She then smiled sincerely, one that could melt even the heart of the gods. It was the same smile she had given me when I accepted her confession.

“Because...I know you’ll protect me no matter what.”

I blushed and piggybacked her slowly back to her flat under the beautiful setting sun, not noticing that my arms were sore until we went back to our corresponding flats.

.

How sweet.

3