Chapter 29 — Presents (2)
148 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
  • Side: Toru Nakamura (Jiro Hayashi)

Silence enveloped the room. 

Actually, it was just between us. The shop was still as busy and noisy as ever, but nobody seemed to notice us, as if time had stopped just for us.

Shizuka’s expression was tired and flushed.

So I did say the wrong thing!!

That was what a boyfriend should say, right?

But I’m not! I’m not even close! 

I’m the opposite of a boyfriend, an ex boyfriend!

I decided to break the ice.

“Um...that...I just want to say, cat ears are cute...not only on you…?”

Now, I feel like such a scumbag. But I can’t let her misunderstand me!!

I peered at her through my fingers.

Huh? What’s with that dead expression on your face?

Have I said the wrong thing again?!

.

I’ve never known that my love IQ is so low, to the degree that Shizuka would throw me a murderous glance every second as we ‘merrily’ continued our window shopping.

This has never happened before when we were dating.

“Shizu-?”

“Tch.”

Whenever I attempted to start a conversation, I was repelled by her insults and tongue clicks. 

One thing’s for sure.

Shizuka is mad.

It’s not the I-wake-up-and-saw-me-hugging-you kind of mad, more like I’ve offended her, and beaten her pride.

Just what had I said wrong?

I’m on my wits end right now, someone please help me. Maybe there is someone who can help me.

When Shizuka made an excuse to go to the washroom, I took out my phone and dialled Akio, who was supposed to be with Eiji right now.

“Toru-chi? What’s up?”

“Akio. Help me.”

“Rare for you to ask me for help. Me and Eiji are now eating lunch, I can’t rush to where you are, please gladly rest in peace.”

If Akio was right in front of me, I would definitely wring his neck in a 180 degree rotation.

“Shizuka is mad at me.”

“Oh ho, no can do. I don’t want to provoke that woman. But I suppose I can provide you some love advice.”

I figured that it was better than nothing. After all, Akio is a love expert.

“Who’s this? Toru? What’s this about love advice?”

“Toru made Shizuka mad.”

Eiji’s voice rang through the intercom, startling me.

“When Mika is mad, I usually buy her something to eat.”

“If I do that to Shizuka, she would retort me with  a ‘do you want me to grow fat?’”

“That’s actually true.”

Eiji pondered. I’m almost envious of how easygoing Mika was. Eiji must’ve lived a life without worries, while I spent every moment in the depths of hell, worrying what the demon would do to me the next second.

“Words. Humans are easily flattered by words.”

“I’ve tried talking to her, she would cut me off at every chance.”

“No no, try a different approach, try whispering in her ear instead.”

“...Are you sure that’ll work?”

“I use this tactic to attract women after all.”

Akio said proudly, as if being a playboy was what he had intended to be for the rest of his life. Eiji cut in.

“No, that won’t do. Try to kabedon her.”

“Would she think that I’m assaulting her?”

I was worried. After a while, Shizuka came out of the washroom and I quickly hung up the phone.

Maybe I should give it a try?

  • Side: Shizuka Tsukihara 

I had made an excuse to the washroom, but it wasn’t really necessary. The reason I had lied to him was because I needed to cool my head.

I wanted to scream so much.

That jerk!!!

What does he mean that the cat ears looked good not only on me?

Had he seen other women with cat ears on before?

I’m completely distraught.

Mouu!! Why do I pay attention to his words?

For all I know, he could date another woman he wanted.

Toru…

With another woman…

Then I started imagining.

Dating...

Hugging…

Kissing…

Then...sexual interc-

Gah! I couldn’t imagine him doing it with another woman, I should’ve kissed him more back when we were dating.

Oh, what am I thinking?!

Steam was rising from my head and my face was as red as strawberries.

Actually, when have I been thinking so much about him?

[Flashback]

Today, I had a very nice dream.

It was the best sleep I had ever had. In front of me was a soft pillow, warming me in the cold winter.

I dug my face into the pillow, and felt something hard.

“Mnn??”

I opened my eyes and found a familiar face in front of me.

Huh?

This is...Toru?

“Nnn…”

What was I doing?

I was clutching onto his chest shamelessly, and my legs were tucked between his. In other words, we’re so close to each other that I could feel his breath and warmth.

And the one taking the initiative is...me!!

I leapt away from him, who was still snoring, and sat up on the bed.

That’s when I noticed his face.

It would be fun to poke his face.

This was what I was thinking.

I succumbed to my desires and poked his face. It was soft, he maintained his face well.

“Nnn...Shizuka?”

My face grew red. I was lying next to him when I was poking his face after all. 

I lied. And that was the start of our argument. 

[flashback end]

Mouu, it’s all your fault!!

I walked out of the washroom, Toru was on the phone, but he quickly tucked it away the moment I exited the washroom.

Are you hiding something?

Why do I care?

I don’t even like him! Not anymore!

“Shizuka? Umm…”

“TORU, I DON'T LIKE YOU, OKAY?”

“Eh? Huh? Okay?”

Oh, what am I doing?!?!?

.

Toru’s fondness display: 20% -> 22%

— Toru decides to try Akio’s tactics on Shizuka. Without him knowing, he didn’t want Shizuka to be mad at him.

Shizuka’s fondness display: 25% -> 30%

— Flashbacks bring back many memories, maybe have a little romance in it…?!?!

1