6. Research
2.8k 14 106
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"MOTHER! MOTHER!"

 

Theo's fist slammed the old wooden doors. His breathing raced, unable to find himself to calm down.

 

He wanted to see his Mother's situation... he needed to see her.

 

He felt guilty that he could not do anything to save Laura.

 

He slammed the door multiple times, demanding entry, but it never opened.

 

Theo felt useless as he grew frustrated, "Let me i-"

 

Grab!

 

From behind, Theo was pulled into a soft embrace. His face met and buried in a soft cushion, muffling his voice.

 

"Shhhh~Sir Theo, please, calm down." 

 

Rose's words reached his ears softly; they began calming him down.

 

"Please, close your eyes... and take deep breaths. We should calm down first-okay?"

 

He felt secure.

 

He unknowingly touched her hands, and she held his in response.

 

Calming words pulled Theo out of the mire that was his emotion. The embrace she gave him was filled with warmth.

 

'She's right; I need to calm down and think... first, clear the mind...'

 

His mind raced.

 

'That black and purple blood, and the foul smell they are hiding… there is only one poison that exists out there. But that's impossible.' 

 

Theo took a deep breath and exhaled energetically!

 

Theo's trembling body stopped, his mind was finally cleared, "...thank you... Miss Rose."

 

Rose let him go, but, "Sir Theo... please, my hands."

 

"Hmm? I apologize. I was out of it and didn't notice." Theo let her go and looked at her hand and then his, '...I didn't even notice... huh, is the original a womanizer?'

 

He blamed it on the original Theo.

 

Then, he lowered his head, opting to leave.

 

"Sir Theo, where are you going?"

 

"To the library, I want to check on medicinal books."

 

"Is it for Lady Laura's poison?"

 

"Yes." He answered without hesitation, "I think I read something about poison earlier... I want to see if I can find something that might help Mother Laura."

 

Rose smiled and just followed him, smiling... and observing.

 

Theo spent the entire afternoon with his nose buried on books. 

 

The light from the sun diminished, and the luminance of the runes etched on the ceilings did its job.

 

"Sir Theo, it is time for dinner."

 

"I want to check more about medicinal plants." He rejected.

 

Rose did not say anything; she simply glided out of the room. 

 

After some time, Rose returned, carrying a platter with a bowl of warm beef stew and bread; she offered them to Theo, "Sir Theo, please eat."

 

When Theo rejected, saying, "Please do not bother, I wish to concentrate— HEY!"

 

Rose stole the book from Theo's hands. His eyes changed with his disposition. Unknowingly, he let out bloodlust, 'Shit!' realizing his blunder, Theo quickly reined his intent.

 

'Did she notice?' Theo worried how Rose would react, only to see two gem-like eyes inches away from his.

 

"Lady Laura would be delighted to see her son doing so much for her. But she would also be heartbroken if she learned that you are sacrificing your health. At least eat as you read. If Sir Theo still does not oblige, then I will be forced to "help" you eat."

 

Rose got closer to Theo, 'Doesn't seem like she does.'

 

Rose exuded an odd amount of pressure. Her eyes sapphire eyes drew him in; Theo felt his heart skip a beat, 'She's really persistent.' 

 

He did not expect someone like him would be intimidated. Inwardly, he was impressed.

 

"…I apologize for lashing out in such a manner, Lady Rose... and thank you for this." Theo accepted the food. 

 

"You can just call me Rose." A gentle smile accompanied her words.

 

Theo quickly thought about it and just showed her a passive smile, "You can just call me Theo, then, Rose."

 

"If that is what you want, Sir—I mean, just, Theo?" Rose said as she sat next to Theo.

 

By this time, Theo had just looked at her for a few seconds. He didn't even try moving away and just returned to quickly finish his food. 

 

He tasted the food, and after a quick taste, Theo began devouring the entire bowl.

 

"Is it good, Theo?"

 

"Mm." He nodded before swallowing, "it's really tasting, not too salty nor sweet... it's also smooth to the taste~."

 

He rambled as he genuinely liked the stew. Theo was a food enthusiast. Theo needed to find a way to keep his sanity in check so he could keep looking forward to another life.

 

Seeing so many people shoved down his throat to care was surprisingly traumatic.

 

He began liking food for this sole reason. There were other tethers like inventions, pets, and fashion, but the food was at the top of the list.

 

"It is good to know that you liked my cooking." Rose let out a sigh of relief.

 

"...you made this?"

 

"Mm." she nodded innocently.

 

"Huh..." Theo stared intently at Rose, "..............................are there more?"

 

"Yes..."

 

"Nice! Ah! I mean... wonderful." Theo 

 

Rose giggled as she "Please wait while I get some more."

 

Theo abruptly stood up and carried the platter, "I will come with you. I am the one who asked for more anyway. Have you eaten yet?"

 

"Um, not yet."

 

"Then, shall we eat together?"

 

"Of course..."

 

The two exited the library and into the dining room, where they ate together, not saying much to each other. 

 

The two enjoyed their dinner alone. The rest of the family was already finished, and the maids had their own quarters.

 

While his attention was given only to the stew, Rose stared at him with a sweet smile. Her eyes glowed ever so slightly. 

 

She looked at her pinky that was covered with black gloves, 'It's getting even redder.' 

 

There was nothing on her pinky, but she could see something, 'A man with complicated eyes….'

 

"Are you finished?"

 

"Yes, it was lovely, thank you."

 

Rose cleaned up his plate, and Theo stood up to leave. When Rose turned around, Theo was by doors, waiting.

 

The two of them returned to the library.

 

Theo did not stop reading for another hour or two. He was browsing through them slowly, as to not arouse suspicions.

 

Thump!

 

Theo felt a weight pressing down on him. 

 

"Mm… strawberry… cake…." Rose talked as she fell asleep.

 

"…" Theo wanted to wake her, but remember how she cared for him, he decided not to.

 

Theo scoops her up from the ground. Supporting her back and legs, he held her close to him, "The food was delicious, and you did help me collect myself..."

 

Theo stepped out of the room with Rose sleeping soundly in his arms. Exiting the library, Theo stopped and looked to his left, staring at the end of the hallway. 

 

'....' he walked in the opposite direction, shrugging his shoulders.

 

Theo's steps echoed all over the dimly lit hallway until he turned a corner.

 

"Did he see us?" 

 

"I do not know."

 

Two small voices echoed in an empty hallway. 

 

Soon, however, the hallway morphed and showed two girls holding hands.

 

Their faces were red from fatigue. Their breathing incoherent and heavy, they were Lyria and Lisa, Theo's younger sisters. 

 

They enjoyed remaining unseen; it made them feel like spies. The two were having fun… despite the apparent absence of smiles.

 

They slipped off Theo's eyes thanks to their illusions. They quickly gathered their breathing.

 

"Resume Operation." "Resume Operation." They said in a chorus. 

 

Lyria held the pen, and Lisa had the paper; the twins followed the tracks left by the target.

 

They reached the turn—

 

"What are you two doing?"

 

 "KyA! (KyA!)" the two cried as they saw a man with fierce eyes looking at them. Lyra threw the pen, and Lisa covered her sister with her own body as an act of defense.

 

The bearer of the scary eyes, however, simply caught the pen with his mouth, "Dat ish—*puh*—dangerous, be careful."

 

The twins looked shocked at Theo, who exhibited terrific reflexes.

 

Lyra retrieved the pen wiped away the drool. She approached Lisa, looked at the paper, and then at Theo, 

 

"Grants amazing reflexes. (Grants amazing reflexes.)." the twins listed down their new findings without shame.

 

"What are you two writing about?"

 

"Research. (Research.)" the twins answered.

 

"Research for what?"

 

"Amnesia Research. (Amnesia Research.)" 

 

The twins threw their arms in the air. Their eyes twinkled with curiosity. 

 

Theo raised an eyebrow, "…what will you do if I tell you to stop following me?"

 

"…Stop. (…Stop.)" the twins averted their gazes.

 

'Even their way of lying is in synch.' Theo laughed, amused, "Lying is bad, you know."

 

He showed them a smile that was not a smile.

 

"W-we are…(W-we are…)" 

 

"Yes?"

 

"…sorry, we were lying. (…sorry we were lying.)." 

 

Lyria and Lisa lowered their heads as they apologized.

 

"Good to know you both know better." Theo smiled, "Then, with that, you two should repay your debt for doing something bad."

 

"Huh? (Huh?)" 

 

"Do not act surprised. I read somewhere that if one commits a bad act, they need to do something good to correct their wrongs. Do you both not think lying is bad?"

 

The two could see the logic behind their older brother's words. They shrugged their shoulders, agreeing to Theo's claims.

 

"Then what is that you want us to do? (Then what is that you want us to do?)." 

 

Theo showed the two a broad grin, "Point me to my room; I think I'm lost."

Thank you for reading and waiting for this chapter... thank you for the comments as well, I am trying make this a slow burn, but if you feel like the pacing is a little too slow, please inform me. 

Also, the previous chapter was changed a bit but nothing in terms of context has been altered, it had just been added that Theo could read fast... and did drugs in other lives... that is it.

106