15. Descent
2.3k 8 76
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside Theo's room, no one was present other than Rose wiping her fiancé's body clean. On his bed, there lay the unconscious. Gently, a wet towel wiped Theo's forehead and then his body.

 

Wearing a dress and her elbow-length black gloves, Rose did her best to care for the unconscious Theo. Occasionally, she would look at her left hand and seeing there was no longer any light. Seeing it had disappeared, she would shake her head and smile, believing it was a mistake.

 

'Everything happens for a reason… this is a test… for me from the Goddess. And, I can feel her presence through him… surely, that is no coincidence…' Her smile remained jovial throughout the process of taking care of the unconscious Theo.

 

Intently, Rose observed Theo's face. Her breathing, hastening by the second, as she prepared her heart. Holding Theo's hand, Rose touched his forehead with hers to siphoning the excess mana in his body before it could once again overpower his veins.

 

"...ack." Rose felt her body being ripped apart; the mana in Theo's body was too strong. But something else was giving her troubles. 

 

For the last two days, something changed in Theo's body.

 

Rose retreated after regulating Theo's mana levels. A whisp of purplish demonic wisp invaded Rose through Theo.

 

[!@#$@# KILL@!# @!# DE!!@#VO@!#$#@$UR!@#@#!$]

 

Demon's voice echoed in her ears. It was corrupting her, trying to devour her mind, attempting to turn her into a Demon's Advent, a follower of chaos and destruction. Many had fallen to the whispers of a Demon and became monsters of carnage, but Rose did not react to its words.

 

She had no intention of becoming a monster.

 

"Purge." A simple utterance of a powerful word and a golden light shot out from her eyes. A Divine Light enveloped her that expunged the demonic light—the voices disappeared.

 

"…the Demon's hold is becoming stronger. But, with your Divine Light and my own… we’ll be able to get through this, Theo." Rose grabbed a white bandage. 

 

A blinding light appeared on her index finger. Her skin ruptured, and blood was spilled, "Aros — Detrk — Lieuqr —Seal."

 

Together with her words, she wrote runes on the white bandage. Acting as a Catalyst, the blood became golden, and light came down to the world to seal the demons' abomination.

 

Rose lifted Theo's left hand and began wrapping it with the bandage. Its light now bore the powers of divinity, the most effective force in sealing and warding off demonic presence. 

 

Rose, however, did not only stopped on placing a runic bandage on the one hand, but also around Theo's body. After that, she fitted him to new sets of clothes and then held his hand tighter than before, "Theo… stay strong, do not be tempted to lose… death is not an escape, only endless torture…."

 

Rose carried the towels and the basin out of the room, cleaning as she goes.

 

Creak!

 

Stepping outside, there were already maids waiting for her to step outside. The maids, upon seeing Rose all lowered their heads with respect.

 

"Thank you for your hard work, Lady Rose; please leave the rest to us."

 

The maids entered Theo's room… only stand in silence, nothing to be done.

 

"You are more of a maid than them, Lady Rose." With a tall figure, Viel laughingly spoke as he stood by watching the maids scramble about, trying to find blemish that Rose could have left behind, "You should rest, Lady Rose."

 

“I am fine, Butler Viel. I stayed awake far longer when I was in the Cathedral. This is a far—" her words stopped as she covered her nose.

 

Drip—

 

Droplets of blood now tainted her pink dress. Wiping it away with a handkerchief, Rose turned her head to the side, embarrassed, "I apologize, you had to see that."

 

"Lady Rose, that is enough! You had barely remained in your room since the Young Master collapsed, and for the past two days, you hardly closed your eyes even to rest. I know the Lord asked you to tend to him, but please do not overexert yourself. You don't have to push yourself like this, Lady Rose."

 

"Please do not worry, Butler Viel. I am not overexerting myself, nor am I pushing my body. I am more than capable of knowing when to stop. With Mother-in-Law Thalia searching for a regulator and Sister Levia leaving for the West and subjugate a Flood, I am the only one who can take care of my betrothed. Also, only I know of the Divine Light; no one can tend to him best other than me." Rose explained as she kept the handkerchief away.

 

"I expected you would say as much." Butler Vie sighed, "Thankfully, you can rest for the night, Lady Rose. We received a letter from the Church of Light that they are arriving soon with Knights and Healers. If they are here, surely, you will be able to rest for a full night, right, Lady Rose?"

 

"The Church of Light? Did Father-in-Law, or Butler Viel requested for their presence?" Rose's voice now quavered.

 

Butler Sun raised a brow at her reaction, "…no, we received their letter yesterday and told us they are coming tonight for some reason. Though we find it weird that they are sending Knights and Healers without receiving a request, we do not have any reason to decline them. They are, after all, already on their way. Why, is something the matter, Lady Rose? If Lady Rose is worried about their legibility as physicians, tomorrow morning, the Ghost of Eralian will also be arriving."

 

"No, I am not worried about that; it is just—Butler Viel, where is Father-in-Law?"

 

"In his study, why is something wrong, Lady Rose?"

 

Quickly, Rose turned her back on Viel, "I need to talk to Father-in-Law; for the time being, can I ask Butler Viel to clean out the perimeter around Theo's room?"

 

"Why, is something wrong with the Young Master?"

 

"I cannot tell you at the moment because of our location. Butler Viel, please just do what I say—it is for future husband's sake." Rose now turned around and left in a hurry.

 

Watching her leave with such bravado, Viel could not help but smile, remembering the good old days, 'She's similar to the two Ladies of the House. That must be why they are pushing for the marriage before Rose gets her head knock and see the reality of the Young Master. If the Ladies of the House told me anything—I almost pity the Young Master in the future.'

 

Butler Viel was just about to follow Rose's instructions when he saw her returning, quicker than when she left, "Is something wrong, Lady Rose?"

 

"Butler Viel, I apologize, but I forgot to mention that when I say everyone in the perimeter, that includes the watchers in the shadows. That is all." Rose turned around again; this time, she left for real.

 

'Oh, she is not just attentive… I can already see a leash around the Young Master's neck…'  

 

Butler Viel released a dry laugh.

 

'…now I really pity the Young Master.' 

***

Tak! Tak! 

 

"Father-in-Law, I wish to have a word with you?"

 

"Come in."

 

Rose opened the doors and stepped inside. Alba stopped whatever it was he was doing to face his daughter-in-law, "What is it, Rose? Did something happen to Theo?"

 

Rose shook her head, "His situation is, at the moment, stable. However, I wish to know if, Father-in-law can have the coming envoys of the Church turn back?"

 

Taking off his glasses, Alba shot Rose a rugged look, "That is a tall request, after taking care of Theo to the point of using your Arcane Runes and regulating his mana while Thalia isn't present, but this is something I cannot do, Rose."

 

"According to the Church's Chivalric Law, if the Lord or the Noble overseeing the Region refuses the entry of the Knights or any missionary from the Churches, then they will have to turn back. Unless they have the Clearance of a Bishop or the Pope, they can say nothing in retaliation. If Father-in-Law is worried, after this whole ordeal is over, I will take the blame for your decisions." Rose stated clearly.

 

"Rose, if I ever do something, I won't blame you for anything. I am not afraid of the repercussions, I have already fought them before, but I cannot just stop this. When I said I couldn't make them turn back, it's because the letter it has—" Alba showed Rose the letter, embossed with a Golden Seal.

 

"A Bishop's Seal?" 

 

"Indeed, I can fight against unlawful and arrogant priests, but against a bishop, then I will be endangering the entire Region. If they brand us as a Heretic Land, then—" Alba didn't even want to finish his words.

 

Rose's face warped from discomfort, 'But if they learn of the Demon's Marking, then, Theo will be...' 

 

Going against the Church was dangerous, but—

 

"Father-in-Law, I know a way to stop them, but I do not doubt that even for the Dragon Slayer, it will be hard to go against the Church of Light. Then, I must let you know about Theo's condition—"

 

"What is it? Did something else happen?" Alba's tone changed. His usual calmness, though present, was slightly broken.

 

Rose had observed every single member of the Sigurd Family since her arrival. In her mind, she already gathered enough information and grasped their behavioral patterns. She did this so that she could play in their best interest and like her better.

 

She didn't want to be thrown away again.

 

She saw Alba as one who would fight for his family.

 

"Theo is experiencing a change in his body, and two days ago, he had shown signs of—"

 

"My Lord!" 

 

Swoosh!

 

From behind Rose, appeared Viel his expression warped with worry and anxiety.

 

"Viel? What's wrong?" Alba's brows met in the middle.

 

Out of breath, Viel spoke despite his fatigue, "It's the Young Master—"

 

Swoosh! 

 

Another gale of wind ran rampant, and at the next second, Rose was already no longer in the study. 

 

Running inside the manor, Rose hurried back to Theo's room. 

 

BAM!

 

Theo's room slammed open, and as Rose saw Theo's figure… her body plopped on the ground without strength—

 

***

East of the Leian Region

 

In the Eastern Leian Region, there was a forest surrounded by a rocky valley. People say that the valley looked like a set of Dragon Teeth and the forest as its tongue; thus, it was dubbed the Dragon's Mouth.

 

Seven Knights clad in white armor lined with bright red. One of them held a banner of a crimson sword; they rode under the setting sun on white Pegasi that had blue flames as manes.

 

Leading this group was a man with long hair that looked as though it was flowing water. His face was handsome, his eyes fierce, and he was a rising Knight of the Crimson Fate. A Young Captain by the name of — Grant Acker.

 

Twenty-three years of age in the coming year, and he had already climbed the rank of Captain. Known for his charming smiles, he was a growing icon of the Crimson Fate that is expected to rise to the position of a General one day.

 

"Have the Church sent the Owls?"

 

"They should have. By now, they should have made contact and informed them of our arrival."

 

"Connor, how far until we reach Fang City?"

 

"Under six hours, Captain." Connor, Grant's second in command, answered swiftly, "We will arrive there shortly, sir."

 

"I see; we better hurry then. The faster we arrive, the faster we can leave this blasphemous land—"

 

The moment those words left Grant's mouth, from afar, a pillar of light shot up to the skies. A crimson gold light pierced the darkness of the night. For a moment, the night became morning.

 

"Ca—captain, that's the Goddess' Light?" Connor stuttered as he spoke.

 

The Knights were in disbelief. 

 

Grant looked forward and observed the light, his brows creased as he gritted his teeth, "Everyone, we're increasing our pace—HYAA!"

 

The Knights hurried forth.

 

Grant's expression now unbecoming of his title, 'It's not possible—'

Theo is coming back and without any more restrictions

Also. just note, that as far as I planned this, there shouldn't be any Harem, it would be against Theo's character anyway (as someone who had been cheated to before, Theo shouldn't be doing that to others right? Right?)

Oh yeah, Theo already said the Goddess of Fate will become his system, so, how do you that would work? (Just curious how you guys would see that)

76