19. Cracked
2.1k 4 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first thing Theo did after awakening as a Saint was to eat. He was not only famished but his body's been drained of nutrition for him to function properly.

"So, what happened to the roof?" he commented on the obvious.

"Father-in-law pulverized it with a swing."

"…that so…"

His left hand, all of a sudden, throbbed in agony as a mark on his palms Greedily sapped at Theo's life energy, trying to weaken him.

'So this is the pain he experienced for nine years. It's painful.'

Taking care of an Archduke would be of great importance.

'It could be delayed for the time being, though. The excess Divine Energy is pushing it back to its place. I can barely even fee l it. I can deal with that la…ter—huh—that's not good.' His thoughts paused, seeing a white bandage wrapped around his left arm rattled his mind.

"Your food is getting cold. The effects of Bubbling Herbs are most apparent when consumed while hot."

"Ah, I was distracted; I apologize. Hey Rose? Who was it that took care of me when I was unconscious?" Theo asked while taking a spoonful of the soup.

"Hmm? That would be me. Why do you feel weird and out of place? I'm sorry for my inabilities. This was the first time I had to care for someone else. Please tell me what is wrong so that I can right my mistakes."

Theo noted her reaction.

"So, it was you, then—" Theo kept his calm, "Did you see it? If you did, can you keep it quiet from everyone else?"

He needed to know if the bandage was for the Demon, 'I need to strike up a deal if I wish for her to keep silent. No one knows what is happening; even my parents are not aware. I need to weed everything out as fast as possible and, if possible, contain any stigmata.'

Theo moved his left hand in front of him and rested it on his lap. Theo watched Rose follow and avert her gaze, 'She knows, let's see if you're going to feign ignorance.'

Rose averted her gaze from Theo's, her face flushed. Her eyes became erratic, moving about without direction, "Um… I ah… yes, I saw it… but you don't have to worry, I won't tell anyone about it…."

'Strange reaction, but okay. Well, Rose is a person of the Church, so keeping a secret to someone afflicted with a Demon's Marking would be troublesome.' Theo nodded and smiled, "Thank you, I didn't know what others would think if they saw it. I'm glad that it was you who saw it, Rose."

"…I mean, that is something private that you wouldn't want others to see. Wait, um… anyone seen it before… I mean, have Theo showed it to others?" Rose asked, still avoiding his eyes.

Theo couldn't do anything if she were hesitant to see him eye to eye. He just enjoyed a spoonful of the soup before answering, "Of course not. If I did, that would be a scandal that others can use against us. I caused enough trouble as it is—you are the first to see."

Theo snickered as he remembered bits and pieces of what he had done in the past, "But it does make me feel rather good knowing you do not mind. It's confiding knowing someone else knows, but I have to ask, what do you think?"

"Ah!" Rose became redder, talking about the matter made the image more vivid in her mind, "Um, it's a… bigger than I thought it would be. From the books, I thought it would… more manageable, but… it was imposing, it was different from the illustrations I saw from the books."

"The books? Then, does that mean you haven't seen one in person before?"

Rose's head turned to Theo, her expression more on the irritated side than whatever it was she was showing before, "No, of course not … what do you take me for, Theo!?"

Her tone was also harsher than before.

"I see… it is just that you did such a good job on I thought you had the experie—"

Bam!

All of a sudden, Rose stomped on the ground. When Theo raised his head to see her, Rose's mood had turned for the worst, "What's wrong, Rose?"

"Theo, I am a chaste woman; how could you think that I am someone who has experience? I did not think that you saw me that way; how deplorable and distasteful. Even if you are my betrothed and our future is to be shoulder each other's burden, please mind your words and assumption."

"…I am starting to think that we are not on the same page," Theo whispered, Rose heard, but no one cared.

Rose harrumphed as her foot continuously tapped the ground, "Hmph, asking me such things. Such crass thinking is unacceptable, Theo. Now I wonder how you look at me. Do you think I would show skin to just anybody? I know it is of importance for us to sire a child as soon as possible, but that is not a reason to have our minds in the gutter."

"Wait, show skin? Sire a child? Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait…" Theo went and visited his words earlier. His actions, and then Rose's situation, "Oh… this is a misunderstanding."

"Of course, it is a misunderstanding. I am a woman who has no experience. You should note that you are the first person outside my family to ever embrace me without breaking their bones. Do you think that I would allow anyone to touch me? You reevaluate your image of me, do you think I would jus—"

"I'm talking about the Demon's Marking — the blight."

"Ah?" Rose paused in mid-lecture, "The Demon's Marking? But weren't you asking about how I cared about your body? I mean… you even pointed at your—"

"No… I was motioning about the bandage in my left arm."

"Oh." Rose's mood plummeted, then she remembered everything she said, what she thought, and almost immediately, her face turned brighter than a ripe tomato.

Rose got on the ground, rolled to a ball, covered her face, "AaaaaaahhhH! This is so embarrassing… I…."

Suffering from second-hand embarrassment and his own stupidity for asking something so important with such a roundabout manner like a fool, Theo still wanted to comfort Rose. For a Maiden like her in a world where a perfect woman's image was placed on a high pedestal, Theo knew how embarrassed Rose would be right now.

"Rose, look, it's not that—"

In the middle of talking, however, Rose abruptly got up. Her face not stern, with nothing much to show, "I was the only one who saw it."

"O-okay?"

Theo had seen almost all, yet he was still baffled by Rose's sudden shift in tone. His brows shot up but, the next moment, she lowered her head, "Please … excuse me for a moment!"

Her eyes rolled back into her head, and from sheer embarrassment, Rose fainted.

"Rose!?" Theo rushed up to catch her.

With both hands, he caught her, but because of his empty stomach, his body that barely moved for the last week, and the blood suddenly rushing to his head, Theo could only act as a cushion, "Okay… this has to be the doing of the Hero's Star."

[It's just a coincidence. Don't read into it too much.]

"I'm still in a good mood, don't ruin it," Theo stated as he tucked Rose in his bed.

[I'm only correcting your mistaken thoughts. Is that not why you allowed me to speak? I know you can shut off my mouth.]

He grabbed the bowl of soup and emptied it in a gulp, "First of all, I didn't allow you to speak so that you could annoy me; it's the other way around. It's more of an alarm clock or even a secretary. Second, don't stomp on my parade. A part of living is not knowing everything and making small mistakes to ease the mind."

A bittersweet laugh followed by a wry smile, "Savoring moments of normalcy is something so rare to me that…."

[…]

In the end, Theo wiped Rose's hair on the side with a gentle expression.

"Older Brother!? (Older Brother!?)"

Two voices echoed, and as Theo turned around, he saw two heads peeking by the door frame. Lyria and Lisa looked suspiciously at Theo.

"Lisa, Lyria, it's good t—"

His words stopped. The twins ran up to him with open arms. They jumped and took hold of each arm, latching onto him tightly, "You two are hea—"

"No. (No.)"

Both answered at the same time, their heads buried in on his shoulders.

"…" Theo wished to fight back, but he was so weak that he could only give up.

***

Seven years ago — A month after the Academy Competition, at a time when Grant became the strongest of his generation — a reasonably well-known young lady appeared before him while he was walking back to the dormitory mildly intoxicated.

A woman with a sword in hand, her hair weaved like a blazing campfire with the night wind. She was half smiling, bitter, and hurt, like an animal that had its tail stomped on. Fierce, like a beast that escaped its Cage and tasted freedom, "I'm new here, and I don't have time to play with all of you, Sticks. So… I'm skipping the bottom ranks and to the top—"

It would not be the last he encounters the Red Dragon.

It was only one of the many. Grant and the lady would clash swords, putting their lives on the line, a rivalry that burns to this very day. Like fire and brimstone, an eternal blaze.

'I knew she was someone special, but I didn't think she would become the next Saintess. However, she's the only logical answer to this puzzle. I mean, why else would the Goddess pick someone from this Garbage?'

"Tain—"

'I'm sure that bitch is the only one who can become the Saintess, and that would finally explain why she was so strong… so gifted. Yes, that's it, that monster that's the only explanation possible.'

"Captain!"

"WHAT!?"

Connor and the others' hearts jump upon hearing him raise his voice.

"I apologize."

"Captain Grant, are you all right?"

"Yes, I am; just tell me, what is it?"

Connor cleared his throat and pointed in front of them, "We're here, Captain."

Following his finger, Grant saw a sorry excuse for a City.

The people of Fang City began to turn on their lights as the sun descended over the western mountains.

Brothels, Bars, and other nightlife entertainment began to prep their stores. The Red-Light district opened its doors, and the night workers flooded the streets to attract customers.

People flocked the roads as the night got closer, more so tonight than it had ever been. Bars accommodated the people with smiles. Tension was nowhere to be found, and those without money drank liquor like tomorrow would never arrive.

"Ulices, slow down! You're spilling everywhere!"

"The Lord is paying! Who gives a damn!?"

The weary travelers, mercenary or otherwise, began to order drinks for themselves without care. Knowing someone would pay and the high of the City carrying their spirits, no one could stop them in their mission to empty every bar.

Other than the ones going around the City with their hands, everyone was enjoying themselves.

Neigh~

"We can see them manor… oh, that is a very aggressive awakening." Connor, the second in command, stated, seeing the roofless manor.

In the skies, the sounds of horses' neighs echoed across Fang City. People raised their heads.

The neighs of horses echoed, calling the people to raise their heads.

Seven armored individuals were on the backs of steeds with blazing wings and manes, leaving a trail of embers.

"Are those, the Knights of the Crimson Fate!?" a young man coming home from the public academy was at the sight of seven winged–steeds streaking across the bleeding skies.

"They must be here for the Saint!"

"Aiya! The Church must have known!"

The Knights of the Crimson Fate is a Knight's Order that answers only to the Fate Sector of the Light Church.

They revered the Goddess of Fate as their God.

It was the largest of the five Sects next only to the Creation Sector that serves the God of Creation, the leader of the Light Pantheon.

The Knights of the Crimson Fate was one of the Five Knight Orders. To be one amongst them would mean you possess talent beyond your peers. Everywhere you go, as long as you are under the banner of the Knights, you would be revered.

Across the City, they flew out; many waved at them in delight. The children, in particular, ran as if catching up to them.

The Priests and Nuns of the City's Churches lined in front of the Manor's Gates. They all ignored the Knights, all their focus unable to be taken away from a man holding a silver spear. The man with the spear raised his head and saw the Pegasi coming.

He and Grant exchanged gazes, but he ignored them and returned to talking to the Nuns and Priests. Grant felt a strange flow in the air. His eyes were drawn to someone else standing in the manor's grounds.

His brows creased.

Fwu!

A Dust storm roused with the descent of the Knights. In the Back Garden of the Sigurd house, their burning hooves singed the groomed grass.

'Oh, Ella is not going to like that.'

Waiting for them in the back garden was an old man with grizzled looks. A square jaw and white hair adorned in a Butler's outfit. He wore a very bright smile.

"Honorable Knights of Crimson Fate, I welcome you to the Leian Region. We were expecting you."

"Where is the Lord? Why isn't he the one to welcome us?" Connor, the second in command, asked.

"He is currently tied to extremely important people."

"I saw him talking to Priests and Nuns, how brave of you lie to a Kni—"

Viel handed Connor his attention, the smile still present, "They are the people of the Leian Region. The kind who takes care of the Orphaned and the weak. Why, does Sir Knight care to disagree?"

Connor is a Knight. He fights dangerous creatures and people, yet, before a mere Butler, his eyes moved to the side, "No, that's not what I—"

"Thank you for your consideration, Sir Knight. Well then, what can I do for you fine, Sir Knights?"

"That's enough pleasantries; take us to the Saintess." Grant had enough of the charades.

"Oh, Sir Knight saw the Light of the Divine, and seeing how you are here, the Fate Sect must have already been aware of the Goddess picking a Mortal."

"…of course. Now, can you show the way? We need to give her our respect as soon as possible."

"It would be my honor to lead the famed Crimson Knights—"

While Viel was talking, Grant walked past him, not even allowing him to finish his words, "Yeah, yeah, just lead the way; we are in an urgent mission t—"

Fwu!

"I'm sorry, but that would be impossible." The wind passed them, and Viel appeared in front of their group. No one even noticed when he made his move.

"Do you mean a mere Lord of this small territory is going to get in the way of a Crimson Knight's duty?"

"Yes, we do." Another voice sounded out. It was not from Viel, but someone behind their group, "A mere Lord of this small territory is not allowing anyone to enter."

"I didn't mean to—Lord Sigurd, look, we are the Knights of the Crimson Fate. We serve the Goddess of Fate, which also includes the one she bestowed her grace. We only wish to witness the glory of the Saintess."

"And the well-being of my son is my best interest. So, leave now. I will let you guys pay your respect after the Priests and Nuns do theirs."

"Wait, Son?" Grant's unfeeling expression changed, "Is it the youngest son who awakened as the Saint?"

"It's Titus who awakened as the Saint?" another, more effeminate voice questioned, this time belonging to a woman coming from above.

BOOM!

"I didn't think he'll awaken as the Saint."

Smack dab in the middle of Alba and Grant, Levia landed, leaving cracks on the bricked pathway.

Viel cursed internally.

Other than Grant, the Knights stepped back unknowingly.

Alba just nodded at his daughter, "Welcome back."

"Yeah, yeah, who are the Sticks?"

"Sticks? You still call others that, Levia?" Grant's almost passive expression now changed. His eyes gleamed as well as his aura.

"Boy—"

"Father, it is all right, don't be too overprotective." Levia stood in front of Grant. She stared him down without saying anything. Her presence only grew and grew, sharper by the passing of seconds, but Grant did not back down.

"Hooh, for a Stick, you're quite brave. You didn't even quiver; that's admirable. Not even our Knights can do that."

Hearing those words of praise, Grant showed her a triumphant smile.

"And you are still like a Beast that got out of her Cage. Fierce and savage, without class nor elegance. But I wouldn't ask for less from someone I see as the only one who can match me in this life. You're still the same as ever, Levia."

"You speak as if you know me."

"…wa-wait, you don't remember me?" Grant's confident expression broke, he smiled, but it cracked, "I mean, all those nights we spent together. The moments when we look into each other's eyes with bated breath, drenched in sweat and blood."

"Oh, Gods! Watch your phrasing; you make it sound like we were involved in a salacious scandal when I don't even know who the fuck you are."

Grant snickered before his eyes inadvertently reflected sadness, "Re—really?"

I don't wish to rush the pacing so it is currently only at this part. Trust, I've been wanting to reach the parts I've been itching to write, but, I can't as I don't want to drag down the story just because I am impatient, thank you for your understanding.

Chapters are getting longer though.

If you wish to support me or just want to support the story in general, my Patreon is the way but be warned, there are still no Early Access to Chapters. But that will change soon.

77