25. The Righteous Saint
1.3k 9 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Afternoon]

 

5:00 PM

 

A man and a woman walked on the roofless Third Floor of the Sigurd Manor's hallway.

 

They were people of the cloth, representing different Sectors of the Ten Deity Church.

 

The man was lanky with dark-rimmed eyes and ruffled hair. His black robes further accentuated his suspicious face, and with a cowl, he was one corner away from being mistaken for a stalker. He resembled a typical loser that can't even look at a woman's eyes. His name was Lucas, the representative from the Dark Church, a Priest of the God of War and Calamity.

 

Next to him was his exact opposite—a confident woman with golden locks and radiant white robes with red lines on its hems. The translucent white veil covered her beautiful clear eyes, highlighted by her long eyelashes. Unlike her companion, she walked straight and steady steps, her breathing regulated and her presence glowing like the sun.

 

Their destination was the office at the end of the path to meet the newly appointed Saint of Fate.

 

They wore the traditional Formal Attire of their respective Sectors to show their fealty to the Gods.

 

The Sigurd Manor remained without a roof, but the leaves were enough to block its heat and provided a calming atmosphere that worked in favor of the representatives.

 

However, even with the help of its calming effect, the Priest of the Dark Church, Lucas could hardly keep his hands from shaking, "Si-Sister Aegis, what do you think the Saint is going to be the same Thug as rumors? W-why did I have to replace Priest Eric at such a crucial time? To think I'd be able to meet a Saint… I-I think I'm going to hurt."

 

With chattering teeth and shaking knees, Lucas could hardly even walk forward. He was on the verge of bursting into tears.

 

Aegis shot him a look and could only sigh, "Priest Lucas, keep yourself together. We are about to meet the Fate Saint. Show a bit of decorum."

 

"Bu-but, that's exactly why I can't calm down! I'm not like you, Sister Aegis. I don't have an unpalpable heart in the front of such radiance! I wish I am more like you…." Tears threatened to fall from the corners of his eyes.

 

'I can't believe he's a follower of the God of War.' Aegis thought in his head. As a follower of the God of War and Calamity, his nature was someone who walks the path of combat, but she couldn't say that to his face, for his cowardice allowed her to carry a dignified outward appearance.

 

On the outside, Aegis looked proper and without flaw; however, on the inside, she was everything but, 'KYAAAAAAAAAAA! How long is this corridor!? The more we walk, the more I feel like my knees are about to give out. Are my looks all right? My clothes? As a follower of the Goddess of Fate, come on, Aegis, you must set an example!'

 

Aegis was far from being calm.

 

But who could blame her? She was about to meet one of the cornerstones of her Sector's belief.

 

At the age of six, she received the honor of receiving the Golden Light despite the situation of her birth. With the Golden Light, she got accepted in the Academy of Radiance, where they taught every Holy Follower to become one of the most reputable professions in this Mortal Plane, a Holy Sister or a Holy Priest. 

 

After graduating, Aegis, like many others, left as missionaries to spread the name of their Deity. As a Holy Sister of the Fate Sector, Aegis, of course, spread the teachings of her Goddess. 

 

While the others left for the established Churches and Cathedrals, Aegis left for the budding Region of Leian. Aegis had done her job perfectly and earned the trust of the people and the Lord. Aegis received permission to build a church under the name of the Goddess of Fate, making the Goddess of Fate the most prominent belief throughout the Region.

 

Blessed by a good life and future, Aegis was satisfied with her achievements in the name of the Goddess. Aegis did not even accept any compensation for her services. She lived a frugal life, giving to the poor and caring for the orphaned. 

 

Aegis lived her life helping those who had yet to meet their fortuitous Fate. She thrived at guiding the lost like a Martyr, yet to her shock, she now stands at the precipice of the most important event of her life.

 

She was allowed to be one of the first people to meet the person acknowledged by the very Goddess she revered since she was young — the Saint of Fate.

 

Against her perfect exterior, Aegis could hardly contain the joy within. 

 

However, in her joy, there was also fear.

 

Even though it had not even been a day since he awakened as a Saint, scandalous rumors had already spread.

 

—The Goddess made a mistake.—

 

Many claimed.

 

That a man like Theo was not someone worthy to carry the prestige of a Saint,

 

It was blasphemous to question the Gods. 

 

But who could blame them?

 

Theo Sigurd had been a thorn in the sides of the people for years. 

 

For years the very prestige of the Region was questioned because of its existence.

 

Just a week ago, he fought a dog... and lost! 

 

It was a mystery how the Young Master was still allowed to step outside his room. 

 

After Theo's ascension to Sainthood, Aegis got bombarded with questions and grievances of the people who felt wronged by the Young Master of the past.

 

However, some firmly held onto their beliefs even amidst all the criticism.

 

—There must have been a reason why he acted in that way! Even the Dragon Slayer claims that there is something we do not know about the Young Master!—

 

Others shouted that there was a reason why he acted in such a way. The Goddess of Fate presides over the world's destiny; for her to choose her Saint, a reason must exist.

 

For her Saint to be the Young Master who lost his will to wield a sword… one could only think.

 

The Goddess of Fate works in the most mysterious of ways. 

 

Aegis and many believers chose to believe there were deeper meanings in Theo's previous actions. 

 

Aegis came here to prove that the Goddess of Fate chose correctly and that the wastrel was more than he lets on.

 

'The Young Master must be holding secrets.' Aegis said as she clenched her fists.

 

"Sister Aegis, Priest Lucas, the Young Master is waiting inside." Upon their arrival in the room at the very back of the third floor.

 

Viel respectfully greeted them, showing the two respect he didn't offer to the arrogant Knights yesterday.

 

As Viel was about to open the doors, he turned to the representatives with an anxious expression, "Before you enter, please note that the Young Master has a... unique personality."

 

Viel warned, and Aegis' worries grew.

 

The two representatives swallowed the lump on their throats.

 

Viel pushed the door open. 

 

Upon their entry, a mix of sandalwood and old books smell greeted the two—a room surrounded was the second thing they noted. In the middle of the room were two couches and an antique executive table adorned with intricate designs and symbols around its base.

 

On the other side of the table was a young man with silver hair and mercury-like eyes of a ferocious wolf. He held a folder, reading its contents intently, taking notes from time to time.

 

"I told you that no one is to disturb me at this moment," Theo said, not lifting his eyes from the folder.

 

"My apologies Young Master, but Sister Aegis of the Light Church's Fate Sect and Priest Lucas of the Dark Church's War and Calamity have arrived," Viel announced their arrival, and Theo's reaction was a simple grumble.

 

His eyes left the folder and spared the two a sliver of his time.

 

Aegis and Lucas' hearts threatened to leap out of their chests the moment Theo's eyes fell upon them.

 

'This is the famous wastrel of the town? This intensity, it's like I'm looking at the Dean… as I thought, he's not a simple man. The way he acted for the past nine years must have been an act. Could it be that he had been in contact with the Goddess for such a long time?' 

 

One look was all it took for Aegis' doubts to disappear.

 

'The Goddess chose him for a reason!' she inwardly celebrated.

 

"So, you two are the representatives of the church?" 

 

The two bowed after Theo acknowledged their existence.

 

"Aegis of the Light Church's Fate Sect greets his Divine Presence."

 

"Lucas of the Dark Church's War and Calamity Sect greets his Divine Presence."

 

Theo lowered the folder and waved his hand, "I see, well, I supposed you two have many questions for me. Butler Viel, leave us, and this time, don't open those doors unless something urgent comes up."

 

Butler Viel was hesitant to turn his back on Theo. After all, he just tried escaping not too long ago. However, the piercing gaze he carried put the old man's mind at ease.

 

'He's taking this more seriously than I thought.'

 

The instant he gave Theo those documents regarding Laura, he had kept quiet and held the intense look ever since. His dedication to curing his mother was enough to make the butler shed a tear, "I understand, Young Master."

 

The doors closed behind Viel and Theo.

 

The two representatives respectfully lowered their heads as Viel walked away, and by the time their attention returned to Theo, what they saw was their venerable Saint looking down with an anxious-filled expression.

 

"Tsk, it's not working… is it because I do not find them likable, or because I drew them?" Theo bit his lower lips and slammed the table in frustration, "DAMMIT!" 

 

He roared, and only then did he take note of the representatives, flinching from fear.

 

Lucas cowered.

 

Aegis almost jumped from shock but kept her wits, "I-is something the matter, your Divine Presence?"

 

"I-is our being here a problem? That must be it; you wouldn't want someone like me here, right?" Lucas pessimistically said.

 

Waving his hand, Theo threw a folder away, "No, I don't mind visitors, it's something else…."

 

He let out an exasperated sigh as he looked out the window and saw the skies already turning red, "…no choice — hey, you, um, Aegis, peek outside and check if Butler Viel's there."

 

"Um… okay?" though confused, Aegis did not dare go against her Saint's orders. Aegis did what she was instructed and found no Butler Viel, "He is not your Divine Presence."

 

"Oh yeah? That's good, that's good." Theo remarked as he checked outside, "He must have gone to get us tea."

 

Theo rummaged underneath his desk, pulled out something, and threw something at Aegis and Lucas.

 

"Your Divine Presence, this is?" asked Aegis, holding up a cloak.

 

"That's a cloak." He answered while giving Aegis a weird look on his face, "What, you haven't seen a cloak before?"

 

Almost immediately, Aegis' face turned red from embarrassment, "No, that's not what I—"

 

"Well, that's good, that means I don't need to instruct you how to put that on." Theo laughed as he leaned at the window sill, "I have a lot of things to do, so I'm multitasking. If any of the two of you still want to talk to me, put that on and follow me. If you decide to stay, then tell Butler Viel I left to assess something~."

 

Theo leaned too far and fell on his back, causing the two representatives great distress.

 

"Saint!"

 

"Your Divine Presence!"

 

Theo was known for a lot of things. Being athletic and having any martial sense was not one of them. 

 

Aegis ran up to the window to try and save her Saint, but all she saw was Theo already heading towards the direction of the garden.

 

"Sister Aegis, what are we going to—"

 

Whoosh! 

 

Aegis spent no time thinking at all.

 

She jumped out of the window in pursuit of the Saint.

 

Lucas panicked, but he felt the peer pressure of being left behind and just followed them.

 

"Wa-Wait for me!" the Priest cried.

 

***

 

'He… he's faster than I thought….' 

 

Through the Garden, over the three and a half meter high stone wall, and across the city's winding alleyways, Aegis was shocked to observe no sign of exhaustion from Theo.

 

But what shocked Aegis the most was Theo's movements.

 

'The Young Master, rather the Saint, is not wasting any movement. The way he ran across the alleyways, how he slipped through the cracks, vaulting over walls even rogues would find hard to traverse. Was he always this good at moving around?' Aegis couldn't wrap her mind around how Theo was doing all this with such ease.

 

He was quick on his feet, with little to no signs of weariness. And as the moon settled, the three of them finally stopped in front of a relatively well-known establishment.

 

A place where Aegis nor Lucas did not expect they would be going today.

 

"Your Divine Presence… this place is."

 

"We're going… I need to confirm something, so I can find a cure to a disability that had plagued men since the dawn of time."

 

Theo was calm, collected, and dedicated.

 

Lucas was out of breath.

 

Aegis in disbelief.

 

The Saint stepped forward, and the two representatives of the Churches hesitantly followed.

 

Thus, the three people of the holiest professions embarked on their journey to the most prolific Establishment of the Red-Light District — [Ethereal Scent].

 

'I will save you, my partner… don't worry.' Theo whispered.

Sorry for my abrupt disappearance.

Also, yes, Theo is talking to his dick.

Another chapter this sunday

The schedule for this story shall be every Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday

Rate 5, Review and Favorite to support the story, or just join the Patreon for advanced chapters

62