30. I am Heruzen
1.1k 3 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Night is a time filled to the brim with activities ranging from innocent fun to vengeful and greed-driven betrayals.

It was when dangerous people come out to play and when fools die.

In the wild, it’s when beasts’ howls echo and begin their hunts.

It is also when beasts in cities howl.

“Over there, someone is throwing up in the alleyways. Oh, someone is fighting over there, he took out a sword; ooooooooooh! He severed an arm! This is shaping into a fight to the death; come on, curly hairs, kill him! Wait, wait, who are these bastards! Don’t get in the way of the show, you assholes. Tsk, why the hell are you people getting in the way?”

Apo cursed, “Dammit, they could’ve been the perfect meal. But these assholes got in the way!”

“Stop it; you’re too loud. My ears are already ringing. If you don’t shut up, I’ll toss you away.” He threatened, and Apo tightened his hold on Theo’s nape, “…yeah, that’s what I thought.”

“But they stopped the preparation of a great show and a possible meal, what, do you think I’d keep quiet seeing that?” Apo argued.

“I wouldn’t let you eat their soul either way. I told you I wouldn’t let you eat souls indiscriminately. Besides, that’s wrath and probably mostly stupidity, not greed. You’ll get a stomach ache, and I might feel that as well.”

“Bu—”

“No buts. Also, stop shouting so much; you’re going to attract unnecessary attention.” Theo’s eyes darted around to see if anyone had appeared.

“Stop being so paranoid. We’re at a three-story building rooftop in its dark spot, and you somehow managed to blend yourself in the shadows while simultaneously erasing your presence like some Shadow Fiend. Even if someone was beside us right now, I don’t think they’d see us because of your freakish paranoia.”

Apo had seen a lot of sneaky bastards in the Underworld. All of them were careful; the good ones wouldn't even have their shadows seen. But when put next to Theo, they were louder than a child who was refused a toy, “I knew you’re weird, but this is next level. Wait, we formed a Soul Pact. Does this mean I can use this too?”

“This is pure skills, not some Gift or power, though I doubt you could use my Gifts,” Theo stated as he resumed hopping from rooftop to rooftop as soon as the clouds covered the moon.

Apo pouted, “Oh yeah, you’re a Malest. Keep forgetting about that.”

“A Malest? What the hell is that? Is that some advanced Molestation technique?”

“What are you...? Oh yeah, you have amnesia. to put it simply, it’s what you call a person that cannot use Magia.”

“…the more you know, I guess.”

While on the move, Theo suddenly fell silent as a brilliant idea popped in his head, ‘Fate, is there a Country where those who control Mana, Aura, and Prana are part of the higher caste while those without are seen as lower? Like a more diverse and complicated Kingdom of Magic. Wait, add to that a declining number of talents and increasing marriage outside of their culture.’

[I can't tell you that.]

'I didn't place a limit on the information. Remember, your role is to give me exposition.'

[…the Kingdom of Rasul.]

‘How old is that place?’

[571 Years ol—]

‘Then, that means a Civil War is either being prepared or happening there already. Fate, before I killed you, was there a Civil War?’

[The-there was one being plotted… wait, more importantly, how did you know that something like this is happening?]

‘What do you mean?’ Theo asked the Goddess.

[Outside of the forces gathering to stand against the Four Pillars and the Consul, no one knows. Even the Sages can only speculate. So how did you? I know you’re wise, but you didn’t even receive a report about it.] Fate could not believe that Theo somehow knows that there’s a Civil War brewing without even learning anything.

‘Are you seriously asking me that?’ Theo laughed inwardly, ‘There are people who have power and are considered special while those otherwise are considered below them, i.e., the Malest. Besides, it has already been more than 500 years since the Kingdom's establishment; it's not that weird. With such a discriminatory system, that’s like an overdue deadline.’

[…you got all that from a single word?]

‘You don’t know how many Kingdoms I've seen with the same history. If my experience taught me anything, this Consul and these Pillars had it coming. Heh, correct me if I’m wrong; but the Royal Family already caught wind of what’s happening but is turning a blind eye because they have an “Elite” force, right? Or better yet, the Royal Family is nothing but a figurehead, and the Consul knows everything and is the one overconfident.’

[….the Consul already usurped the throne three years ago.]

‘Hah, so close! Well, you can't always win them.'

[...]

'What, are you in disbelief I can deduce this much? Look, this may seem impossible for me to do this, but it isn't that complicated. I just pieced the puzzle and arrived at the most likely conclusion. I've been in the shoes of a thousand life, committed countless atrocities, and seen the rise and fall of civilizations. If I can't predict such a simple event, I learned nothing from living for so long. A Civil War is brewing against a bunch of powered assholes….’ Theo widely smirked at the thought of the coming future, ‘I can smell opportunity… how lucky can I get?! GAHAHAH! Being a hero is a fucking hax!’

He celebrated just as he arrived at the Roof of Ethereal Scent. He was in a good mood, humming on his way to blackmail the top lady of the biggest brothel house.

‘Oh yeah—I have—customers—oh yeah—I can be—a crime lorddddd~.’ He was happy with the prospects.

War wasn’t his forte, or rather, he doesn't like wars because he sees it as nothing short of pointless, but there are times when one cannot avoid conflict.

After all, a civil war has to start at something. In this case, discrimination and unfair treatment of the people.

In a world where power holds as much importance as morality, achieving freedom with strength is something that always happens.

He lived in a world where anyone can become a walking nuke; where a Religion with more than Ten beliefs under its umbrella; deep-rooted enmity that spans for millennia carried by the long-lived races — and so many more reasons why a fight can start exist — it cannot be overstated how complicated living must be in such worlds.

Discrimination was just the tip of the iceberg.

Theo once saw these worlds as fantastical, but after going through the lives of villains, he understood that it was more than it would let on.

In worlds like these, more often than not, compassion leads to death.

Then again, it doesn't really matter.

After all, only a few deserve mercy.

Even fewer have the luxury to offer their hand.

‘Still, I really should check if there are no hands in the shadows. I can’t have another Aruban. I’d be remiss if I let another Civil War I supported bite me in the ass.’

Not every Villain is evil at heart; some have good intentions but lead to destructive outcomes. There were only a few of them, but Theo already knew the stakes of being an idiot who doesn’t look into things.

‘Welp, there’s risk in any business venture.’ He shrugged as he arrived on the balcony of Ethereal Scent.

Before he pushed open the heavy wooden doors, he had Apo go up the building so he could set up the protective barrier.

After all that, Theo checked his cloak, cowl, and mask to ensure he wouldn't reveal his identity.

He shrugged his body and then took a deep breath, 'Come on, Theo... time to become Heruzen.'

The sound of the heavy doors opening echoed.

Both doors opened wide to a spacious room.

The room was utterly isolated to keep anyone from entering and peeking outside. Only the door behind Theo remained the only entrance. Its windows were closed and scented incense across the entire room to provide an atmosphere.

“I welcome dear honored guest.” A beautiful woman already on her knees was in the middle of the room — it was Ambrosia.

Her forehead touched the wooden floor, her hair tied and adorned with beautiful jewelry. From her nape and the corner of her cheeks, one could discern the thick makeup. It was clear she was prepared to welcome a guest, “Ambrosia is at this Lord’s service.”

“Oh? You didn’t run away? Good to know I don’t have to hunt you down.” Theo praised; his voice lowered a few octaves. His eyes glowed the same silver but mixed with a hint of demonic purple, “The smell of the incense is nice.”

Theo took a deep breath.

“I like the smell; just one would expect of a—huh?”

Theo abruptly stopped his words and staggered from where he stood. He glared in Ambrosia's direction, whose body violently shook!

“I am honored to hear such an honorable customer’s compliments; Ambrosia is delighted.” Ambrosia laughed as she slowly lifted her head from the ground. With alluring, glowing deep blue eyes, she met Theo’s demonic glare.

“What did… you… do… to… me?” Theo stuttered.

Ambrosia’s soft giggling echoed in his ears, “It is known as the Spider Lily Poison, a paralytic hallucinogen. Though it takes no less than three minutes for normal people to be affected, it appears, you are very vulnerable to mental attacks, unlike the Saint.”

“What!?” Herzen's voice boomed, ‘Da-dammit, I miscalculated.’

Ambrosia approached Heruzen, her black nails slowly extended. She dragged her dress as she walked. Her eyes glowed more intensely, and the pink haze became thicker around Heruzen.

“So… your… plan… is… to… kill… me?”

Her smile quickly became maniacal, “Aiya, it is good to know honored guest understands. I will kill you and send your head to his doorsteps in a box. Unlike you, he seems smart and shrewd. He quickly capitalized on what he needs something I did not expect from a Saint. But he’s still too green. Did he think he could control me with a speck of single dirt? I have the Captain of the Drako Knights and the Right Fang at my beck and call! I control the Night! I control the Underworld of this Region!”

“The… Captain… of… the… Draco...Knights? The… Right… Fang?”

“Oh? Perhaps you didn’t know that?” Ambrosia let out a gleeful laugh, remembering how Theo dared to go against her using one little secret?

Heruzen felt the pointed nails on his neck. Ambrosia dragged her nails on his neck, drawing out blood, “So, he was banking on one silly fact about me? How utterly laughable. I may have been afraid of him moving the Church to eradicate me, but that was but a moment’s weakness. I will not allow anyone to destroy what I built. I will not be chased away. I will not return to the dark and cower! If he wants me gone, then he should be prepared for war.”

“You… crazy… bitch!” Heruzen shouted, “He’s… the… Saint….”

“Saint?” Ambrosia cackled at his petty threat, “Saints, Carinal, Pope, everyone who carries the holy symbol on their chests are all the same. They look down on us, shouting at us for “defiling” the “gifts” of the Gods. For many, this is the only way to live. If I allow this place to fall in someone like a Saint’s hands, then the fates of my girls would be set in stone. Instead of just keeling, I will let him know that we’re not so easy to scare. I hate to do this when he helps one of ours, but—"

Ambrosia leaned to Theo’s ears. Her velvety lips biting at his ears, rewarding him before his death, “—die and let that arrogant bastard know his place.”

She intended to cut him at once, not wasting another moment with him.

But then, another laughter filled the room.

“Hahaha, that’s interesting.”

Heruzen suddenly cackled, his speech returning to normal, putting Ambrosia into a distraught.

“You do talk too much, little girl.” Heruzen ridiculed.

“What!? How can you move!? That’s impossible, weren’t you affected by the poison!?”

“This poison is less paralytic and more hallucinogenic, and like Theo, I’m immune. Though I did miscalculate and thought you used higher class poison because of its similar smell, you were too drunk in your victory to notice — now, if I were you, I’d be gritting my teeth.”

“What?”

While Ambrosia was too distraught by what was happening, Heruzen moved. He did not strike her, and neither did he retreat. Instead, he helped Ambrosia bury her nails on his shoulders.

Theo winced from the pain, while Ambrosia was only further confused.

However, as Theo leaned back and outstretched her arm, he sent out a palm strike from below and struck her elbows.

Crack!!

Theo dislocated her elbows.

“AAAAAAAAHHHH!”

She screamed, and without wasting any movement, he used the momentum of his strike to take away her nails from his shoulder and approached and got closer.

"Here's another."

Whoosh!

Crack!!

"AAAAAAAAAH!"

Her shoulder met the same fate.

Ambrosia screamed in pain as Heruzen licked his lips in enjoyment, ‘She tried to kill me, but she’s necessary. I don’t have the time to overtake the whole Underworld, so I'll make her submissive now. Yu decided to play in the Underworld, suffer the consequences.’

Heruzen smirked.

‘it’s been a while since I educated someo—‘

Whoosh!

It was at that moment footsteps were heard from behind.

‘There are two of them!’ Heruzen anticipated hidden forces as well, ‘Well, Apo, I hope you’re ready because I’m going haywire!’

Quickly, Heruzen’s hand glowed purple. The mark of greed lit up, and then, his eyes became a striking purple.

The Saint called upon the power of a Demon, and then… he stopped.

The two hidden forces he was supposed to face passed him and went directly to Ambrosia.

No, they weren’t there to save Ambrosia; instead, the two little shadows moved like arrows and tackled Ambrosia to the ground!

“Get away from Older Brother!”

“Yeah! We’ll get you!”

Two girls on the verge of tears arrived to “save the day” as they proceeded to slap softly slap Ambrosia to death.

‘…the fuck?’

That came from Ambrosia.

Theo's detection is really shitty, isn't it?

Click the heart to show if you enjoyed the chapter

Rate 5, Review and Favorite to support the story, or just join the Patreon for advanced chapters (1 Week advance currently)

51