32. Longest Night
1.3k 3 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Enjoying the Story? Read ahead over at my Patreon for advanced chapters (1 Week advance)

 

Ambrosia and Theo shook hands, and with synchronized intent, their will linked, and a golden scroll appeared before them.

“What is this?” asked Ambrosia.

“My Gift, a Contract that appears between two people when their interest aligns. It’s proof that the two of us spoke only our true desires when we decided to help each other.” He briefly explained.

“I see.”

[Devil’s Contract — [Devilish Partnership]

Holder: Theo Sigurd (Heruzen)

Contract Detail

Free the Vampyres of their 500 years Persecution

Make Vylyth Nosfrust the Queen of the Underworld

Overturn the harmful misconceptions of “Night Ladies.”

Benefits:

The loyalty of Vylyth Nosfrust (Possible True Loyalty)

Support of Vylyth Nosfrust

Punishment to those that disobey: Contract Nullification — Complete Blood Drain

[Devil’s Contract — [Devilish Partnership]

Holder: Vylyth Nosfrust

Contract Details

Support Theo Sigurd in his ventures

Become the Financier of Theo Sigurd

Support the Sigurd Family

Benefits:

The Support of the Saint of Fate

Trust and True Loyalty of Theo Sigurd (Saint of Fate)

Protection from all harm that may arrive

The chance for the Vampyres to rise from the shadows

Punishment to those that disobey: Contract Nullification — Soul Marking

“Punishment? Wait, does this Complete Blood Drain mean I can suck you until you’re a dried husk? And what is Soul Marking?”

“This Gift is still a mystery to me, so I don’t know how it works, but yes, you can suck me dry… hehe. As for the Soul Marking, you don’t want to know. Or rather, I don’t want to say, keeps you on your toes, doesn’t it?” Theo teased.

Ambrosia’s brows met in the middle. If what she got from the contract, then that Soul Marking should be as bad as a Complete Blood Drain, ‘That means I will die by this Soul Marking. But, it might not just kill me… he might even erase my soul!’

She knew that he had a few screws loose, but Ambrosia did not expect him to be so ruthless. The Queen of the Night decided she’d do her best to avoid antagonizing him. It didn’t present any merit.

While Ambrosia contemplated, Theo investigated his Gift, ‘It appears there are different kinds of contracts. First, it was the Devil’s Goodwill, but it was Devilish Partnership this time. The only thing I see about the two being the same is the lame naming sense.’

He still has no idea what the distinction between the two is.

Theo may have gotten quite a few lines of explanation through mysterious means, or what he calls “Plot Convenience,” but it didn’t explain much.

‘Well, that makes sense. It makes things vague so others can create bullshit out of their Gifts. Is this what you said about being fair, Fate?’

[Still better than a leveling system, doesn’t it? Also, it remains limited by the Gifted's ingenuity, and of course, it depends on how they are cultivated. How you grow and make it mutate also closes other possibilities, so it’s not entirely infinite. Though it appears your Gift doesn’t have such limitations… which shouldn’t exist.]

Theo’s Devil Contract was capable of unearthing information said or explained. If they connect to Theo, then, would give basic information.

Ambrosia, or rather, the name Vylyth Nosfrust. The ability of Vampyres to drain blood. The ability to delve into the hearts of the contractors was terrifying. However, it's not just surface-level information because the Devil's Contract could list the truth without mistake and even impose restrictions.

It was an ability filled with mystery, and in the hands of someone like Theo, Fate could only think of what he’ll use it for.

[Sigh*,] Fate sighed that the one who implemented the Gifts did not think about what kind of power a fully developed soul would receive.

The only thing that’s genuinely infuriating about Gifts is that it gives transmigrators and summons people an unfairly substantial Gift. After all, a Gift stems from the soul and its attribute and connections. If a trained soul travels from one world to the prime reality, one could only imagine how strong they would become.

Theo was one such example.

“Vylyth—”

“!!!!!!!”

“What?” Theo asked with a shrug of his shoulders.

“How did you know my name?”

“Don’t be too surprised it's because this ability is mine; I can see your true name, Vylyth Nosfrust.”

Theo was amused, and Vylyth was getting annoyed.

“I’m warning you, the moment you tell anyone about my name and my family’s name, I will gut you and offer your blood and soul to Tiza’RaGul.”

“Don’t worry; I won’t.”

“Wait a minute, is this how you learn I was a Vampyre?” that would explain how he saw through her disguise.

But Theo shook his head, “Of course not. You practically told me you are yourself.”

“…what? I never—”

“Look, there is only seven sentient Race that possesses that kind of intense blue eyes; five of them have a tinge of red; only two are associated with illusions and hallucinations. You were either a Vampyre suppressing her lineage or a Succubus. You work and own a brothel, so you must be a Succubus, or so the ignorant would think. However, and this is the kicker, a Succubus feels draining to the touch, but you didn't possess that quality. Also, the feeling of your mind trick was too weak; your smell wasn’t as good as a Succubus either; you weren’t as alluring either, and another you weren’t as—”

“Okay! I get it!” Vylyth shouted, hearing all her inadequacies, “I was too sloppy.”

“Hmm? I can't deny that, but if it weren't me, you would have been able to fool them. Your biggest mistake lies in making such a reaction. I wasn’t sure that you were a Vampyre until you reacted like a cat that had its tail stepped on when I whispered on your ears. A good disguise starts at the confidence of wearing it, so start there.” he claimed before yawning.

Vylyth stood there, in shock, “So it’s my fault that I’m in this position?”

“Well, if you weren’t too greedy and didn’t show yourself to me, then I wouldn’t know. Let me guess; you wanted me in your camp, or rather, my support. One of the reasons why you accepted my proposition just now was because you were already planning on using my name if I got entranced by your illusions. Good plan, but poorly executed. If it weren't who I was, the moment you failed would mean your death as well as the girls who work for you.

“Also, you’re only without a wound right now other than that hurting elbow because you were lucky. I originally planned on making you completely subservient, but that changed because of these two. Well, thinking about it now, I'm thankful they appeared because this is so much more convenient for me. They also stopped me from doing something I absolutely detest. But the crux of this is that you got to live because you didn’t touch my sisters. I spared you, and I gave you another chance even after you tried to kill me because you stayed your hand. If you did as much as shoving them away, and they were to be hurt even a little bit… I’ll leave it to your imagination.”

Vylyth’s heart skipped a beat as she caught a glimpse of Theo’s eyes. The seriousness behind them was one thing, but she could see an underlying beast inside.

‘I’ve only seen such ferocity in my grandfather before.’ Vylyth now understood how lucky she was that the two girls appeared before Theo could do anything. In her heart, fear was beginning to form towards the man she decided to form an alliance with, but she also grew excited about her future, ‘To have him as an enemy would’ve been my biggest regret, but have him as my ally?’

For some reason, the thought of the Vampyres rising from the shadows was no longer a pipe dream.

Theo ignored the creepy laughter that followed, "But, do you know why I'm telling you all these obvious things?"

Vylyth shook her head.

"It's because you're still too green and think too highly of your capabilities. You make your moves without much thought, when in reality, sometimes, the best move is not to do anything."

"I see... are you acting like my teacher right now?" Vylyth couldn't believe what Theo was talking down to her like this, "I would have you know that I have lived five times you lived. Show some respect."

"You speak as if being over a hundred years old is something you should brag about. If you're so great, how can someone like me read you like an open book?"

"...tsk."

"Yeah, that's what I thought. Don't take it too harshly; if you die because of your childishness, then it places me in a difficult situation."

Listening to Theo prattle on more and more irritated her. But, somewhere along the line, she flashed him a coquettish smirk, "Or could it be that you have fallen for me-"

"Please don't add a deluded business partner to my list of problems."

Theo shot her dreams down faster than he could kill her. But, Vylyth only laughed it off, "That hurt my feelings. Even I have a heart; why, aren't you even a little attracted to me? If you do so wish, I can let you-"

"Get any closer, and I will leave you without a joint to move tonight."

"Tsk, I was just trying to get us closer. We are business partners starting tonight."

"Money is a good way to buy my friendship. The more, the better. Anyway, I need to go back home. I already got what I came here for... ah shit, I forgot, can you get these for me?"

Theo rummaged around his clothes and pulled out a piece of paper with a list of things he wanted, "What do you think?"

He was asking, but Vylyth reads his expression as otherwise.

"…a week, I'll get everything in a week." Vylyth could very well see that Theo was pressed for time. The faster she executes his request, the more she'd benefit, "I can get the materials fairly fast, but a Stellar Arcanist Mythril is beyond me... but I can get you a Mythril, is that enough?"

"It's enough."

"Okay… I can call in a few favors and get you five fist-size Mythril Ores."

"I see, then, I will be sure to repay you for this great favor."

"Forget it, there's no need—"

"Okay, you said that, not me." Theo immediately got up with a broad smile on his face, "Aiya, as I thought of my business partner, you are truly generous."

'This little bitch is just....' Vylyth dumbfoundedly stared at the shamelessness of the Saint.

"Well then—" picking up the two girls, Theo stretched his back a little, "—I'm leaving. These two need their sleep."

He walked outside, unhindered by his injuries. A purple Floof fell from above and sleepily clung on his neck.

"That... was tiring...." Apophis said in a whisper.

"Yeah, good work. Rest for now." Theo handed Apo to the sleeping Lyria for her to snuggle with, "I'm leaving now. Oh, I almost forgot; I added a little something at the back of the paper just now. Follow its instructions for about a month, and you'll see changes in the perception of the people."

Theo disappeared before Vylyth could ask him anything.

She walked to the balcony and saw Theo rushing back to the Sigurd Manor. On her face was a defeated smile.

"To think he is seen as the biggest failure of the Dragons. And here I thought I was good at disguises."

The entire City of the Fang and the whole continent see Theo as the most pitiful of all fallen geniuses.

"He took a blade to the neck, and the trauma resulted in his inability to wield the sword. The prodigy fell and became a recluse and then became the infamous prodigal son of the Dragons. Yet tonight, he beat me with words while showing me the light I crave."

Vylyth took out a long smoking pipe, lit up one, and read the note written in fresh blood behind Theo's shopping list.

"...cheeky brat."

She laughed at the words he left her.

The note read: "Go to the Church and do volunteer work."

Ask if you have any questions. And yes, she's a vampyre who wants to walk in the light. 

Click the heart to show if you enjoyed the chapter

Rate 5, Review and Favorite to support the story

53