Chapter 11 and Journal 1
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

==========

Chapter 11

==========

The afternoon we arrived in Tonerg, I sent the girls out to play while I focused on work. Todd sat at a desk on the right side of my audience hall, just in front of the dais.

"Did you announce the upcoming hunt?" I asked.

"Yes, Lord Yrog," replied Todd, "announcements have been sent to the three major companies, the Elves, and the Magicians' Federation. I assumed my Lord would make the announcement to the Dragon Court yourself."

"Indeed, I'll make the announcement when the Court convenes this weekend. Now let's see; we need special invitations sent to Allic'irp, Lasha'veya, Efra'xtry, and Eil'azor. Also, send one to the Mage Academy and another to the Elven King; his fifth Jubilee is this year. Is there anyone whom I am forgetting?"

Todd considered, "My lord, since we're inviting Lord Allic, we should probably invite his sponsor, Lord Nam'ron."

"Bah. I refuse to acknowledge that punk. As far as I'm concerned the Lilium Plateau is Allic's."

"None the less, Lord Nam did best Lord Allic and Lord Allic did hatch his eggs."

"No. If Nam'ron shows up without a purchased permit, I'll kill him. Though, you may invite Allic to bring her whelps; I'd be delighted to meet them."

"As you wish, my Lord."

"Excellent. Don't forget to tell Mindy I've sent an invitation to her father. She'll be angry if it ends up a surprise."

"I will remember to remind you, my Lord." I gave Todd a wry look.

---------

The girls and I adjourned to my eyrie after dinner. Sarah and Lily ran off to watch the sunset from the peak while I surveyed the lay of the land with Mil'ly.

"Welcome to my eyrie. After tonight you'll have to find your own." Mil'ly nods. I gesture to the North. "You can pick from any of the watersheds that drain into the headwaters of the Dragontail River."

Mil dips her head, "Thank you, Lord Yrog, for taking me in."

"Don't thank me yet, kiddo. You'll be earning your keep. Day after tomorrow, I'm sending you to deliver invitations for the upcoming hunt."

"What about your pet's family, my Lord?"

I consider. "If you're not back in time to check on them, I'll go myself."

The human girls scrambled down the summit through the alpenglow. The faster moon, Swith, was just cresting the peak when they returned to slump in the ridgeline I called home. I settled into my usual spot, Mil'ly made herself comfortable, Sarah took her usual spot in front of my wing, and Lily leaned next to her. Mil'ly settled her head on her claws.

"So," I asked the girls, "what trouble did you three get up to today?"

~~~~~~~~

Journal 1

~~~~~~~~

Yrog wants me to keep a diary to help me practice writing. Mindy says it's because Yrog is a dirty old voyeur. I asked Yrog what your write in a diary and she said, "Whatever you want."

Mindy told me people usually write what happened to them and what they thought about it.

Milly can't write. When Yrog found out, she told Milly she'd have to turn into a human and go to school. Turns out, Milly had never turned into a human either.

Yesterday afternoon, Lily, Milly, and I were swimming in the waterfall where Yrog and I had our first breakfast. I caught Milly staring at us. She said she know how a human looked naked. I climbed out of the pool so she could see me. It was funny and embarrassing and flatering. Then Milly turned into a girl. She could have been my older sister.

Lily snuck up behind me and splashed us both with cold water. Milly shrieked and jumped in the pool to dunk Lily. Later, after Yrog returned with a stag for dinner, while we sat around a fire to dry, Milly asked Yrog how she did clothes. Yrog smirked and said, "Practice."

1