Chapter 13
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

==========

Chapter 13

==========

The big day had finally arrived and my guests were pouring into Tonerg for the Hunting Festival. I sat with Todd and the girls in a large field just outside town, greeting my draconic visitors as they arrived. Many of the human and elven denizens and more than few of the non-dragon guests loitered around the periphery, watching the show.

A small, emerald dragon glided past overhead tailed by three whelps. The dragons banked, came about, and landed neatly.

"Allic!" I greeted my friend, "It's been too long."

I peered behind her, my head affectionately resting on her neck. "Are these you're whelps?"

Just then, a crimson dragon streaked overhead, wheeled about, and thumped down hard in a cloud of dust. I straightened up and approached the newcomer.

"Nam'ron. May I see the permit you purchased?"

"Why would I need a permit to attend your little festival?" the crimson dragon retorted, "You invited my mate, so you invited me."

"No, Nam'ron, I specifically sent that invitation to Allic and her whelps. Nowhere in it did I mention you." I snarled at my unwelcome visitor.

"Tough shit, old la-" I pounced on Nam'ron, cutting off his reply.

-------------

Sarah, Lily, and Mil'ly stood next to Yrog, watching as the dragons arrived. Yrog stepped past the emerald dragon, Allic, to confront a big, crimson dragon. Allic took two steps behind Yrog and lowered her head to the three girls. Mil'ly returned a nod and Sarah and Lily curtsied, but Yrog's growl interrupted proper pleasantries. Everyone turned to watch the brewing confrontation. Lily took Sarah's hand.

Todd walked up, put a hand on Sarah's shoulder, and addressed the young dragons, "Perhaps, my lords and ladies, we should give them some space."

He guided them all from the field not a moment too soon.

Yrog pounced on Nam'ron. The two dragons brawled, sending dust and feathers everywhere. Nam'ron breathed a plume of fire at Yrog. Yrog gave him a mighty kick, and sprung into the air.  She beat her wings, climbing hard. Nam'ron leaped into the air after her and gave chase.

When the dragons had climbed high enough to look no bigger than birds, Yrog wheeled and dove, swiping at Nam'ron with her claws. Nam'ron breathed fire in her face and dodged her blow. Yrog swooped low over the field, smoke trailing from her singed feathers. Nam followed, hot on her tail.

The two dragons climbed again, this time flying into the Sun. The onlookers quickly lost sight of them in the glare. After tense minutes of waiting, a flicker of flame seemed to appear at the edge of the Sun and soon a singed Yrog, clad in St. Elmo's fire, dropped from the sky and sped low over the field with Nam'ron right behind her.

She beat her wings, hugging the ground and flying fast toward a small mount at the terminus of a ridge-line. The crimson dragon breathed another plume of fire and the flame washed over her. At the last second, Yrog spread her wings and soared up.

She stalled, vertical in the air, just above the summit of the mount, the red dragon's jaws reaching for her.  In the instant before Nam'ron could chomp onto her tail, Yrog shrunk, Nam's jaws snapped shut on empty air, and a bolt of lighting connected Yrog, through Nam'ron, to the mountain top.

Stunned, Nam'ron fell and tumbled down the talus slope. Yrog dove on him and drove him farther down. She ducked down and chomped through the paralyzed dragon's neck, severing his head. Then Yrog reared back and, standing atop Nam'ron's carcass, roared her victory to the sky.

------------

I picked up Nam'ron's head and headed back to the landing field. Sarah looked at me with big eyes as I approached. Her sister held Sarah's hand and hid behind her back. Mil'ly sat at attention, every inch the prim, proper, and respectful young dragon. Allic bowed demurely and her whelps cowered behind her.

"Well," I said, "looks like I've got my trophy for this year."

Nobody laughed.

"Congratulations on your victory, Mi’lord," complimented Todd.

"Thank you, Todd. Please send a crew to collect the carcass. I want the down, you can sell the rest. Oh, and," I plunk the head down in front of Todd, "get this taxidermied for me."

"As you wish, Milord."

Sarah came forward timidly.

"Yrog," she asked, "are you okay?"

I smiled and reached out a claw. She didn't flinch when I stroked her hair.

"I'm fine, pet. A few scrapes and some singed feathers. Nothing that a time and a dip in the river won't cure."

1