Chapter 9: An Untrusted Invitation
123 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"At least you don't fight like a complete child anymore." Luna said after a hard day of training.

Andreas had his hands on his knees. For the past couple of days, Luna has been training Andreas with only small breaks for sleep. Each day, Andreas got stronger, learning more about his magic and how to use it. He learned he can retract the crystal scales back into his shoulders. He can make weapons, and even form armor around himself.

"Thanks." Andreas finally said, standing upright. "You aren't a bad teacher."

"Fighting is what I do." Luna said. "Ready to go for real this time?"

"You mean you were holding back?" Andreas said, concerned.

Luna summoned a buster sword to her outstretched right hand. She placed it on her shoulder.

The sword is as big as she is, and she's holding it with one hand. Andreas thought.

"Get ready, Smart Guy." Luna said. "Let's see if you can handle the Goddess of War!"

In an instant, Luna was behind Andreas. However, after a couple of days fighting her, he's gotten somewhat used to her speed. Andreas manifested his crystals into a shield on his left arm and blocked the devastating blow. The force sent Andreas sliding back. Andreas formed a smaller sword in his other hand, now going on the offensive against Luna. She blocked, and immediately turned and double kicked Andreas back. She flipped back, dissipating the buster sword. In its place, she manifested two katanas, one in each hand.

The pair rushed at each other, Andreas slashed vertically, causing Luna to use both swords to block. Andreas used his free hand to punched the back of his sword, causing Luna to lose balance. Luna stumbled back, and Andreas slashed at her again. The Goddess of War smiled. She dissipated one of the katana, and used her hand to block Andreas' blade. Crimson energy radiated from her hand. She dissipated the second sword, and charged more energy to her now free hand. She used it to punch Andreas in the chest sending him flying back, rolling along the ground. Now, Luna's entire body was radiating with the crimson energy, glowing red symbols appearing on her skin.

"I see you're showing off sister." Samira said, coming outside to watch the training. "Afraid of losing?"

"Nah." Luna said, smirking. "I was just making him think he had a chance at first."

"Oh screw that, I almost had you!" Andreas said.

"Maybe in my human form." Luna said. "This is my elevated form. It's not as strong as my true form, but close enough. I could probably kill you in seconds in this form."

Andreas gulped. It was mainly because that last line was said from behind him with her arm around his shoulder. The Luna he saw in front of him was an afterimage. He didn't even see her move.

"Any news on our twisted sister?" Luna said, patting Andreas on the chest. "She hasn't made a move in days now. I'm getting antsy."

"Nothing yet." Samira replied. "She's biding her time for some reason."

Luna placed her hands behind her head.

"It's fine though." Samira continued. "As you are, Acolyte and Slumber would still be a problem for you."

"What about the third one?" Andreas said.

"He would give you some trouble since he counters your type." Samira answered. "But the other two are on a different level."

"Slumber made the Ten?" Luna chimed in.

"Just made it." Samira answered.

"What are the Ten?" Andreas asked.

"They call themselves the Golden Devout." Samira explained. "They're ten Devout powerful enough to take on a Goddess in their human form. They gave themselves ranks, and even a little golden crest. Slumber is number ten and Acolyte is number nine."

"So how are they ranked?" Andreas asked.

"Occasionally the Devout will meet up and have a little tournament." Samira said. "There are about fifty or so Devout in total, most of which belong to my twin sister Pracille, and the ones who make the top ten are chosen as the Golden Devout."

"I sometimes go just to watch a good fight." Luna said. "I missed the last one though. I had a test."

"How often do they have these things?" Andreas was interested now.

"If you're thinking about joining the tournament, then don't." Samira said. "You may be a Demigod and all, but some of the Devout in the top five scare even me. Maybe after this thing with Thalia is over you can think about it."

"They'd probably jump at the shot of letting you in once they find out you're a Demigod." Luna said. "They've been trying to get Gilgamesh involved forever. They want to see the power of one of you close up."

Suddenly, there was a noise coming from the side of the house. The trio quickly turned, and standing there, was Acolyte. He had his hands in the air.

Luna instantly rushed him, placing a sword to his throat.

"I come as a messenger." Acolyte informed. "My Goddess wishes to meet with you."

"Meet with me?" Samira chuckled. "She sent you three clowns to take my book and kill me. Why should I believe you now?"

"I wouldn't have come alone otherwise." Acolyte said.

Not a bad comeback. Samira thought.

"Why does she want to meet?" Samira asked. "Luna back off."

Luna reluctantly backed away from Acolyte, but she kept the sword at the ready.

"She wishes for you to hear the reason for her assault." Acolyte informed.

This is clearly a trap. Samira thought. However, I could turn this on her. She doesn't know about the human yet. But it's still four against three.

"Fine." Samira said. Luna opened her mouth in protest, but Samira motioned for her to wait. "The three of us will go. I won't go to her little Underworld alone to be ambushed by all of you."

"Fair enough." Acolyte said.

"However, can it wait until tomorrow?" Samira requested. "We were in the middle of something."

"I shall return for you in the morning then." Acolyte said.

The Devout pulled a key that seemed to be made from bone out of his pocket. He placed it in thin air. Andreas gave a confused look. Soon, a glowing doorway appeared in front of him, the key where the handle would be. Acolyte walked through it, disappearing into the light.

Such a cool entry into her realm! Samira thought.

"You know this is a trap right?" Luna pointed out. "She's leading us to a place she has complete control over."

"I know, but what choice do I have?" Samira said. "We have somewhat of an element of surprise. They don't know about human here."

"I have a name you know!" Andreas snipped.

"Hush, I'm talking!" Samira ordered. "However, they have the advantage in numbers, as well as home field advantage."

"She has her own world?" Andreas asked.

"Technically we all could." Samira answered. "I just chose not to create one."

"And I wanted to live on earth, and try to get more smarter by going to human school." Luna said.

Andreas winced again at the bad grammar.

"I can help with the numbers part." Luna said reluctantly.

"How?" Samira asked.

"Just wait." Luna said, reaching into her breasts.

Luna pulled out a miniature red horn, about the size of a piece of gum. She slowly put it to her mouth, and when she did, it grew to the size of her head. At this size, you could see the gold trim, and elegant golden designs decorating the crimson horn. When she blew it, a deep rumbling sound echoed around the trio. She took it away from her mouth, and it shrunk back to gum size. She returned it to its place, and put her hands on her hip.

A minute goes by in silence.

"Well that was anticlimactic." Andreas said. Samira looked at her sister.

"How was that suppose to help again?" She said.

"Will you two shut up and wait!" Luna stomped.

Suddenly, a man appeared behind her bowing. His long dreads nearly touching the grass. He stood, and crossed his arms over his massive chest. His black trench coat was open revealing a black tactical vest. The bottom half of his face was covered by a black face mask, and his piercing blue eyes seemed to stare into your soul.

"What's up?" He said, his voice a deep growl. He uncrossed his tree trunk arms, and placed his hands in the pockets of his black cargo pants.

"Hey Reaper." Luna said, a small crack could be heard in her voice.

"I ain't got time for this shit." Reaper said. "Whatchu need?"

"Hey I am still your Goddess, you know!" Luna stomped.

"Yea, one who calls me just to fight against half the damn time." Reaper reminded.

"You have a Devout?" Samira chimed in. "I thought you weren't going to try again after Gilgamesh?"

"Eh, I got bored one day." Luna said. "I wanted someone to compete in the tournament so I would have someone to cheer for, but nooooo, he doesn't wanna show off or something like that."

"I told you, I don't fight for sport!" Reaper said.

"Well maybe you should start!" Luna snipped back.

"If that's all, then I'm 'bout to leave." Reaper said. "I got a show to watch."

"You mean the one where all the girls are trying to fall for one guy?" Luna questioned. "That show is dumb."

"If trying to find love is dumb, than I don't wanna be smart!" Reaper said.

Is this guy serious? Samira thought

"I'm right there with you brother!" Andreas said. Samira put her face in her palm.

"Fuck yea! Everyone deserves love!" Reaper said, clenching his fist out towards Andreas.

"Love conquers all!" Andreas said, and placed his fist on Reaper's. Andreas' hand looked like a child's next to Reaper's.

"Are you two finished?" Luna said.

Reaper put his hands back in his pockets, and looked at his Goddess.

"So what the hell did you call me for anyway?" He said.

"It's time for a real fight." Luna said. "Not with me."

"You better not be lying this time." Reaper said. "Who're we fighting."

Samira explained the situation with the Goddess of Death to Reaper.

"So, you want me to travel to the Underworld, and help you fight the Goddess of Death?" Reaper questioned. "Are y'all crazy?"

"Look, I now you can fight, and we need the numbers." Luna said. "Just come with us already, you can watch your show later."

"Fine." Reaper sighed. "Let's get this over with."

"We leave in the morning." Samira said.

"The morning?" Reaper said. He turned to Andreas. "Do you have a TV?"

Andreas nodded, and waved Reaper inside. Once the two of them were out of earshot, Samira turned to her sister who let out a sigh or relief. Luna put her hands behind her head.

"So, how soon after we get there do you think she'll attack us?" Luna asked.

"I'm thinking she's going to explain her plan first." Samira said. "You know how she likes to hear herself talk."

"Well, I'm ready for a fight." Luna said. "Reaper is rough around the edges, but he is powerful. He can help us."

"How the hell do you control him if you're scared of him?" Samira questioned.

"Reaper is loyal by nature." Luna said. "I don't need to control him. He has his own form of respect. He's good people."

"I hope we're ready for this." Samira said. "The human is only just learning his magic. Acolyte and Slumber are Golden Devout. I don't want to die picking up his slack."

"Smart Guy is a lot better than you give him credit for." Luna said. "Just give him a chance to prove it."

"He'll get that chance soon enough." Samira said.

4