Chapter 30 – Chase
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 30 – Chase

Emanuel drove with Cleo into an abandoned building. Inside, the duo could see cats busying themselves around two bodies drenched in water. The moment Cleo saw one of the bodies, her face changed and she rushed to check on her son. But she became dumbfounded when she saw how peaceful his face was in his sleep.

“He died,” Emanuel interjected from the back making Cleo stiffen. “Don’t worry. He’s alive. But to other people, he has already died.”

Cleo’s shoulder drooped and her face was filled with heartache as she caressed her son’s face. “I don’t want this kind of life.”

Emanuel gripped his fist and closed his eyes. “Don’t worry. It’s just temporary.”

He patted his shoulder and sat beside her. He whispered in her ear while wearing an unhurried expression. “For now, we need the two of us to go away.”

“What?! Why are we going to leave Illinois here?!”

“It’s not safe, Dear.” Emanuel held her and looked into her eyes. “People will be targeting us nonstop. If we bring him with us, he will only fall into danger.”

Even though Cleo was still unwilling, she could only accept it and lumbered towards the car once more. Emanuel signaled to the cats and Rain followed after him into the car after he issued some commands.

Lilia woke up right after the last tail of the car was sighted. She was jolted by a terrifying headache. When she finally recovered, she saw cats maneuvering around her. They gripped tools by using their jaws but there were few who could use their paws as if they were hands! They were so skillful that she thought they were human in disguise! She got gobsmacked by this!

“Who are you?” She stammered while pointing at them. The cats stared at her like she was a lunatic before continuing their jobs.

A half-opened medical kit sat beside her. But on Illinois’ side, she could see complete hospital equipment. From the monitor, he seemed okay and even his breathing was smooth. The difference in treatment made Lilia speechless, though.

The ride was quiet. Yet, Cleo kept looking at the side mirror. Her face was as pale as a sheet of paper.

“Don’t worry.” Emanuel gave her a reassuring smile but inside his head, he screamed at a certain someone.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

“Hahaha! This is your retribution!”

“Damn you! Keep quiet!”

“I really don’t know how you beat us. You have such a large weakness yet you become the greatest of us all!”

“Cleo is not my weakness.” His face became serious. “My family is my strength.”

Bang!

An incendiary grenade exploded beside their car but Emanuel calmly drove through.

“I know. That’s why it’s hilarious! You are saying they are your strength when you clearly have lost your edge!”

Emanuel narrowed his eyes and peek at the mirror. He saw a loud car with a ragtag group of individuals. They were howling and laughing as if they thought he was already in the bag. They didn’t seem much at all considering what he could do. Thus, he felt that he had really gotten so low.

“Fire!” “Hahaha! Pussy!”

“Easy money!”

Emanuel felt his forehead aching while bullets and bombs rained behind them. These bastards were making him lose face! But he couldn’t do something shocking because Cleo was still with him.

Cleo kept hesitating in voicing her worries. But seeing her husband concentrating so much, she decided to stay her hand for good.

Emanuel perceived her good intentions. She was always understanding, he thought.

BANG!

Shrapnel flashed right in front of his eyes. Emanuel barely closed his eyes as he still needed to focus on the steering wheel. However, murky shadows had started to emerge from his face. It was his raging devilish spirit that was threatening to come out! It was because Cleo was almost hit by the shrapnel!

The figure inside Emanuel felt ecstatic! How can Emanuel be the winner if he wasn’t the strongest, evilest, and most of all, craziest amongst them??? He waited with bated breath what the latter would do!

But he was disappointed when he saw the window opening and a small shadow leaping out of it.

The mercenaries didn’t have any reaction when a silhouette stepped outside of the car aside from one man. He was the loudest but beneath his messy exterior, he was cold as a machine. He was on the list of the top one hundred assassins. Thus, the moment the rotating serrated blade emerged and sliced their car in half, the man had already evaded, albeit surprised!

But what happened next made him extremely surprised!

“A cat?!!” He exclaimed while rotating blades glistened on both of his sides! Before the man could dodge, two pairs of paws pushed on the ground with little noise and its shadow flickered in front of him!

Bzzzzt!

Iron and steel clashed, creating fiery sparks in the process. The assassin stared coldly at the needle-like pupils. Covering his hands were two high-tech-looking devices with several apertures. Right now, long pointed swords jutted out of it.

Rain snarled while the man felt his world broadening once again. It was all because a fucking cat stopped his group with little effort! It was an eerie sight seeing such a loveable creature standing beside a graphic scene! The mercenaries’ spinal column stubbed out while spurting blood! They didn’t even manage to let out a cry! They died without the knowledge of their killer!

1