Episode 4: Demon Queen of the Night
44 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 1

It is high noon at the Alter Enhancement and General Instructional School, AEGIS for short. The halls of the school will be bustling for the next hour as students either grab a bite to eat or take care of their own personal business for the next hour. On one particular busy hallway are a familiar set of faces.

“Grrrrr...” A certain short-haired girl is quite literally staring lightning bolts at a pair who she is walking beside with.

“Is there a problem, Miss Ishihara?” a girl with her hair tied up in twintails returns with a cold glare.

“Don’t you think you’re being that into it?” The mumbling girl earlier asks in response.

This is Kanade Ishihara. She is reckless, ill-tempered, and pushy. Ask any student and they would more than likely tell about a time she has either broken something or has picked a fight she haughtily thinks she can win.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” The twintail haired girl replies in denial.

This, on the other hand, is Henrietta Thompson. She is the chairperson of the school’s Disciplinary Committee evident by the armband around her left arm and the utility belt on her waist. She’s the exact opposite of Kanade: calm and collected. However, if any student would plan to cause mischief in this school, falling for such a cold exterior would be their biggest mistake.

Henrietta gives out a cough and nudges the boy who is walking between the two girls with her elbow. Bewildered, the young man diverts a gaze towards her who is giving quick flicks with her head, all aimed towards Kanade.

“Well…if the disciplinary chairperson doesn’t mind, then I guess I’m okay with it.”

This young man, who is currently in a sorry state, is Katsuo Kiyabu.

After an incident five years ago, he is kept in this school almost entirely of female students as protection from those responsible from that attack. Needless to say, his life since then has been almost as bad as living on the run because of a certain “lady in violet”.

“As I was saying Miss Ishihara, if this makes you uncomfortable, you could just leave. Nobody is forcing you anyway. It’ll make my job easier without any perverts nearby.” Henrietta gives a sharp glare along with the flick of her equally sharp tongue.

“Perv—what?! Hey, the reason why I’m here in the first place is to make sure that you don’t end up doing something that people will easily misunderstand!”

“Oh really? Like what?”

“Like that!!” Kanade extends an index finger at Henrietta and Katsuo’s direction.

All this time, as they have been walking, the two of them are interlocking arms like a mushy romantic couple.

“Hmph. A mind stuck in the gutter as always. A close proximity is best to ensure that the designated person they are assigned to protect stays safe.”Henrietta says as she tugs Katsuo closer to her.

“YES, BUT NOT THAT CLOSE!!!!” Kanade furiously shouts as she tries to pull Katsuo away from Henrietta's grasp.

Enough people are looking at them thanks to Henrietta’s oblivious display of what she knows about safeguarding someone. However, thanks to Kanade’s fit of a temper breakdown, more heads are turned their way.

As disciplinary chairperson, Henrietta is trusted by the school’s headmistress to keep him safe. Eager as always, she keeps that mission to heart…much to the annoyance of a certain Short Fused Shocker due to her apparent exhibition of utter density.

As they continue bickering while walking down the hall, a particular poster plastered on the wall catches their attention. Bright and bold letters coupled with eye-catching colors distract them enough to stop the girls from fighting over the poor young boy.

Katsuo Katsuo proceeds to read the poster’s contents.

“Are you a bad enough fighter to come up on top? AEGIS is announcing the biggest Battle Tournament so far. All students from any year level are invited to take part on this combat spectacle.”

“And the prizes include meal tickets, a massive grade boost, and exclusive use of one of the advanced section of the school's training facility for the entire term!” Henrietta points out the prizes in store at the bottom.

“Oh I’m so in! Finally, if I get that sweet grade boost, I can kick back for the rest of the term without breaking a sweat. My grades would have been all buffered up!” Kanade proceeds to laugh hysterically with both hands on her waist.

“Is there even anything left to buffer?” Katsuo attempts to rain on her parade.

She responds by pointing a finger towards him.

“Hey, don’t forget. You are in a worse boat than I am.”

A few hours ago, outside Class 1-C’s classroom…

“Mister Kiyabu, I think we may have a bit of a complication with regards to your grades. See, the thing is that since you transferred in the middle of the term, there isn’t much to go for to work out your final grade. I really do apologize, but as an educator, I simply cannot force a student to catch up by doing months’ worth of work over a weekend.” the teacher of Class 1-C advises him.

For some reason, Kanade was able to overhear this conversation despite seating at the back row by the window.

Nevertheless, the fact that Kanade has brought it up makes Katsuo hang his head in shame. But luckily, Katsuo has one more trick up his sleeve.

“Oh yeah? Well at least I didn’t waste my time slacking off which is a worse situation in and of itself!”

“!!” Kanade chokes at the words Katsuo throws at her, and proceeds to join him in despair.

“Well I know I’m not going to enter since I don’t have to.” Henrietta states as she points to a fine print at the poster.

“Students who are at least 10 marks below the passing grade are required to participate in the event.” Katsuo reads where Henrietta is pointing.

“That means us…” Kanade gloomily sighs in melancholy.

Just then, a series of sequential beeps snap them out of their depressed state. The sound comes from one of the pockets in Henrietta’s utility belt.

She takes out her cellphone, which is what is making that sound.

After a quick press of a button, she talks into it while distancing herself from the other two a bit.

“It’s me…yes I submitted the incident report regarding the Arsenal case…what about compensations? … GRADE DEDUCTIONS?!?! … Look I know I’m held accountable in part for the collateral damage, but--…wait, who’s behind it? …”

Shortly, an ominous aura sets on her over the phone, an aura that is enough to drive away the gloom that the two have been emanating.

This is a sensation that that the three of them are familiar with. A certain lady in violet started to become involved.

“…I understand…alright…tell the headmistress I will comply.” And with those words, Henrietta hangs up the call.

“Let me guess…it’s her?” Katsuo asks Henrietta with the usual condescending monotone.

“I understand why you resent the headmistress so much now.” Henrietta replies in a soulless voice, colder than how she always sounds.

“Well it looks like we have much bigger problems than our grades.” Kanade points out more text from the poster.

Thankfully they are in bolder letters than the first one.

The two of them lean in to read more of the details listed.

“This year’s Battle Tournament will feature a team battle comprising of a minimum of four members per team. Before entering, all teams are required to pay a registration fee of HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!”

Part 2

Most schools have a standard cafeteria for the students to get their lunches. However, since AEGIS is subsidized by the military, theirs is a little different.

Part of the effort to develop their Alter Abilities is to provide a positive environment for the students, so they patterned everything to look like a fast food restaurant. Complete with a register line, upholstered booth seats, colorful posters, and even a goofy mascot. This colorful caricature is essentially a kid with an Alter that looks like a burger with a face and limbs stricking near-impossible dynamic poses.

For the most part, everyone is in a pleasant mood thanks to the atmosphere. However, in one part of the cafeteria…

“Hey, that’s her, right?” One of the students points to a girl walking with a tray in both hands with a homemade boxed lunch on it.

A girl with long silver hair tied in a ponytail walks calmly along one of the aisles to look for a seat to stay. As she approaches a group of students, their normal or pleasant demeanor gradually shift to unease upon seeing her.

“Yeah, she’s the one.” “The Demon Queen of the Night…” “She’s scarier in person, huh?” “I heard that she’s so ruthless, not even our own military can stop her.”

Amidst the rumors and jeers, she keeps a steady composure as though they don’t exist.

As she continues along the path, she comes across one of the booth seats only being occupied by one student.

A faint twitch of a hopeful smile flashes on her face for a briefest of moments. She approaches the student slowly and carefully as though approaching a wild animal.

“Uhmm, excuse me…” The silver-haired girl muttered. “But, is this seat…”

The student turns her head towards the girl. And upon seeing her face, overwhelming fear shows at her face.

“S-sorry!! I didn’t realize you want this one.”

“N-nein, I’m just wondering if I could—“

“Have my seat? Please, just…take it. I don’t want any trouble.” The previous occupant of the seat bolts out in terror.

“W-wait!” The silver-haired girl tries to reach out, but the student refuses to respond.

And just like that, the jeers continue once more.

“Hey did you see that?” “Yeah, she totally bullied the poor girl out of her seat.” “As expected of the Demon Queen of the Night…”

With a bitter expression, she takes the now vacated seat with the food on the tray from the last owner still unfinished.

She unwraps the cloth from her lunchbox with a troubled sigh and gazes at her food inside with disappointment, but not in how the carefully crafted boxed lunch turned out.

“Maybe someday I’d get to share the food I make with someone…a friend, maybe.” The lonely silver-haired girl mutters to herself.

Just over the next aisle, a few people are having an unpleasant day themselves.

A shade of hopeless gloom is over Kanade and Henrietta as they rest their dejected faces on the table they are sharing.

All the while, Katsuo arrives with three small soft-serve sundaes to try and cheer them up. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to be responding to it at all.

“How are we supposed to get the money for the registration fee? I only do volunteer work for the Disciplinary Committee so I don’t earn a cent from it.” Henrietta’s muffled voice complains as her face is still glued to the table.

“Don’t look at me, I’m flat broke.” Kanade's muffled voice adds.

“Not to mention that we’re a member short of the minimum number of members.” Katsuo unhelpingly contributes as he sets the tray of sundaes between the two.

“Hey everyone, how are you all doing?” a familiar voice greets the three.

“ALEX!! Oh thank goodness you’re here!” Kanade frantically gets up in excitement.

Alex Kenningway is the only male student in AEGIS along with Katsuo. He is a petite young boy with blond hair almost reaching his shoulders.

“Please…please join our team!” she continues to plead to him.

“I’m afraid I don’t follow, Kanade…” Alex replies as he slowly scratches the back of his head.

“Basically we’re required to participate in this year’s Battle Tournament. Unfortunately, we’re both short one member, and don’t have enough money for the registration fee.” Katsuo explains their situation to his former roommate.

“I see now. Well sorry to hear about that, ladies. The thing is that since I’m one of the event organizers, I’m not allowed to participate. Ehehehe…” he says as he lightly scratches his cheek with an index finger.

Kanade sinks back into a gloom worse than before. She takes the spoon that is stabbed at the creamy mount and swirls it around in the clear cup it’s in.

“Geez. Not mention there’s still the matter of the registration fee. If only there’s some way for us to make some easy cash.” Kanade says in the same lack of energy as before.

“Actually, there is…” Henrietta points out.

With fire in her eyes, she jumps up from her seat and clenches her fist in determination.

“I know I didn’t bring it up before, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Everyone…we’re going on Missions!” She points out with complete confidence.

After a dramatic pause to let everyone have the thought sink in, Henrietta takes a scoop of the soft-serve ice cream sundae and munches on it.

Meanwhile, the silver-haired girl from earlier overhears their dilemma. She promptly finishes her food, clasps her hands to thank for the meal, wraps up the boxed lunch, and moves into action to take this opportunity.

Part 3

As a subsidy of the military, AEGIS is required to at least perform some sort of community service. They do this in the form of Missions.

Missions are menial tasks that often give out a good amount of money depending on what the specific Mission calls for. Basically, Missions are extra tasks provided by people inside or outside of the school. All Mission rewards are awarded by the provider as part of the written agreement for the school to give out the request in the first place.

“…and that’s basically the gist of it.” Henrietta concludes her version of the explanation.

The three of them are gazing at a vast corkboard that practically reaches horizons. The entire wall is plastered with paper flyers of varying designs, colors, and text styles. The only thing they have in common is that the reward they’re giving out, both in cash and in kind, are written in big bold letters.

“So…wait. Why didn’t we go do Missions in the first place?” Katsuo wonders.

“My time is almost always occupied with Disciplinary Committee work. Any Missions I take are only those that I can do alongside that. Any reward I gain there is just enough to get me by the day.”

“I never knew this was a thing in the first place.” Kanade then proceeds to laugh with pride with hands on her waist.

(“You’re here longer than I am…”) Katsuo remarks in his mind.

Katsuo gives a hopeless expression at just how dedicated she is at her quest for strength. But he still remembers the words she told him before.

(“I’m just a Category 3. At this rate, I’ll never catch up to my older sister”)

There is once a time when Kanade has come home one day to find her sister, Tsubaki Ishihara, presumably dead in a fire. But since no one could recover a body, she believes her to only be in hiding. Thus she sets on a quest to become stronger in order to be able to have the strength to find her sister, the person who used to be The Academy’s Strongest.

Katsuo immediately shakes the thought off his head.

(“Right. I almost forgot why you fight. Don’t worry, you’ll find her soon enough.”)

They continue to explore the Mission board, but all they see are mundane tasks.

“Find a cat, perform a concert for a high school, play a game of chess…all these things look like the standard fare. Why go to a military subsidized school to request for these?” Katsuo wonders as he continues to look for a suitable mission.

“Not to mention, the rewards are quite small. Even if we do a multiple of these, we won’t be able to earn enough money for the registration fee. Overworking is out of the question either.” Henrietta adds.

“Hey! Here’s one!” Kanade points to a flyer with a crudely drawn picture on it at the farther end of the board.

“Wanted: training partners for the upcoming Battle Tournament. Willing to take anyone who would be interested. No prior requirements or Category limits. Reward…wow that’s a lot of zeroes.” Kanade reads out the details of the mission flyer she found.

“This will be more than enough to cover the registration fee for all of us!” Katsuo excitingly states.

“Excuse me, have you selected a Mission already?” an unfamiliar voice calls out.

They turn around to see the female Mission attendant with long black hair and glasses. On her hand is a tablet computer made to look like a clipboard and a plastic quill used to write on it.

“Yes. We’d like to accept this Mission, if you don’t mind.” Henrietta points to the ad they were looking at earlier while pushing up her own glasses.

The long haired girl looks at it with complete shock.

Her face suddenly goes pale and her pupils start to shake. The attendant is filled with an untold amount of terror, that it’s almost like she’s experiencing trauma.

“I-is something wrong?” Katsuo asks her.

“I’m sorry, but I think that you might not prefer going on that Mission. The provider for that…is none other than Natalia Lenhoff, the Academy’s Strongest!” she points at the crudely drawn flyer with trembling hands.

“Ha…haha…” All of a sudden, light chuckles were heard.

“The Academy’s Strongest, huh? The one who succeeded my sister.”

Kanade clenches a fist looks towards the distant horizon. Her eyes are filled not with hatred, nor anger. It is filled with something else, something more positive: determination.

“FINALLY!!! I will get the chance to finally challenge her!” she says as electric bolts dance behind her in excitement due to her Alter ability.

Katsuo looks at the fired up Kanade who has glimmering eyes for some reason worried at what she’s getting herself into.

“Ehehe…I don’t know about this. What about you, Miss Henrietta?” Katsuo turns to her who already has a finger on her chin and in deep thought.

“The Academy’s Strongest, huh? Personally, I’ve never seen her in action. I heard she’s usually out on High Profile Missions that are not available to the general student body. This may be a rare opportunity…” Henrietta ponders with a finger on her chin.

(“It’s no use…”) Katsuo thinks to himself in a blank stare.

“Well I guess I don’t have a choice. We’ll take it.” He answers the attendant.

She gives the response a shrug as she scribbles on her tablet computer.

“Oh well, your funeral. Now remember, once the Mission provider confirms accomplishment, they will be the one to give your reward.” She marks the Mission they have selected as active.

After working on the tablet, the attendant takes the crudely drawn flyer from the corckboard and places a stamp across it.

“Good luck…you’ll need it.” the attendant wishes them as she hands over the Mission flyer.

Part 4

Later that day, afternoon classes resume in AEGIS. Despite being a military subsidy, it is still a high school like anything else. It just so happens that this particular high school specializes in training students with Alters.

“During the 1890’s, it was believed that the average human uses only roughly 10% of their brains. However, now we know that it’s never the case.”

In Class 1-A, a lecture is currently being conducted. Alex Kenningway, who sits at the front and center of the class, diligently takes notes as the teacher speaks.

“Today, we believe that humans indeed have full control of their brains. But all stories have to come from somewhere. Can anyone tell me who the leading researcher who discovered what did was?”

A hand shot up in the air.

“Yes?”

“Harvey Kingsley.”

Alex's ears reflexively twitch upon hearing that name. He knows who that person is. Needless to say, he’s also the reason why he’s in AEGIS in the first place. But he’s a problem for another day.

“Correct. Now reviweing our previous lesson, Professor Harvey Kingsley was the head researcher for Lance Corporations, the pioneer company of Alter research until their bankruptcy six years ago. Now then, who can tell me how do Alters manipulate physical space if they’re merely hallucinations given form?”

One of the students raises their hand.

“Yes?”

“Alters become tangible when both the user and the Alter are within the same consciousness frequency. Alters use perceptive information from their user with regards to their senses which allows them to tangibly manipulate physical matter. Alternatively, this also means that the Alter itself is tangible to anyone who can perceive it.”

“To put it simply, if the Alter’s user can see something, their Alter can touch it. And if you can see someone else’s Alter, you can touch them as well. Thank you, you may take your seat.” The teacher kindly gestures towards the student that has answered.

After the student promptly sits down, the teacher continues the discussion by pointing at the chart on the board.

“Now then, Alters work through the harmony of the host’s conscious and subconscious mind. Higher Categories require less conscious control with how their Alters perform, meaning really powerful Alters can literally use their abilities in their sleep. This is why some of your Alter abilities may lose effect the moment you take your mind off it.”

A collective groan of affirmation resounds in the classroom.

“Teacher, question!” Another student raises their hand.

“Yes?”

“Where is Professor Kingsley now?”

The teacher places her hands on her waist pondering for an answer. However....

“Nobody knows.”

Murmurs litter the classroom as everyone talks among themselves.

“I heard that he was contracted by another company to work exclusively for them.”

“Really? Well that’s not what I heard.”

“I know this guy who says that he got into some shady deal and left sleeping with the fishes.”

“Scary…”

“I read this article once that he went under heavy debt when the company went bankrupt, so he fled the country to go into hiding.”

“That’s not how it goes. He retired to live a quiet life in the countryside or something, I heard.”

Among the murmuring rumors, Alex sits silent in his seat. He did not react to any baseless urban legend the students are talking about. After all, he knows the truth.

(“Well…one of you is almost right.”) he thinks to himself.

Part 5

 

"Fine, if it will make you feel any better. Besides, I can't have you give off to much electrical current. You might end up shorting out the elevator controls." Henrietta complies by letting go of Katsuo's arm.

 

Kanade responds with a scoff and a roll of her eyes.

 

Suddenly, a chime sounds from the elevator's speakers as the elevator comes to a stop. As the door opens, the three of them see that they have arrived at the school's underground training complex.

 

Here, specialized monitoring and training equipment are placed in various rooms where students can use at their leisure. Per usual, students are only permitted to use equipment that they are determined to be able to use after a set of preliminary examinations.

 

The training rooms vary in size depending on the kind of training they are meant for. These include small scale personal fitness centers, labs meant for medical body examinations, holographic simulator rooms for the recreation of combat scenarios, and large scale arenas for controlled environment trials.

 

Every one of these training rooms have a clear window that leads to the hallway Katsuo and the others are walking along, so they can see the diversity of each one.

 

As they make their way to the specified location for their mission, they are halted by one of the security personnel: a soldier from the surrounding military base.

 

“Halt! Level 7 Clearance is required from this point onward.”

 

“It’s alright, we’re here on official business.” Henrietta proceeds to hand out the mission statement they received earlier today.

 

The security personnel examined the paperwork and browses for all the important information. Just as this hardened soldier comes to one point in the mission statement, it’s like all of the color on their face suddenly flows out. 

 

The stationed soldier proceeds to shakily return the mission statement with a bleach pale face.

 

“M-my apologies. I…I didn’t know…” They respond in a shaken up voice.

 

Katsuo observes the cold sweat running down the security personnel’s face.

 

(“This person that handles our mission must be powerful enough to intimidate someone like a trained soldier. Just how frightening is the Academy’s Strongest?”)

 

“E-everything is in order. You’re free to go in. Just…just tell Miss Lenhoff I sincerely apologize for delaying you…”

 

“We’ll extend your regards. Come now, we have work to do.” Henrietta acknowledges the soldier's request then walks off without another word.

 

Kanade and Katsuo hastily catches up to her who is already ahead a few meters.

 

“Hey, I’ve been meaning to ask…” Katsuo asks a question that has been bothering him since getting the mission in the first place. “…just what kind of person is this so called Academy’s Strongest?”

 

Henrietta is already ahead of him as she is already in the middle of accessing the data in her phone.

 

“Natalia Lenhoff. Class 3-B. Alter Classification: Category 4. Alter Ability: Magnitude Manipulation.”

 

Upon hearing what she can do, Katsuo’s eyes widens in surprise.

("No way! A real Category 4?") Katsuo thinks in his mind.

 

“According here, she enrolled after her family moved from Germany. It is said that she was about to be given up on as she was initially classified as a Category 1. Reanalysis of her data by our branch showed that her vitals and performance does not come close to anyone who is under that category. Under a modified regimen, her Alter has manifested itself and she rises in power to Category 4. Eventually her mertis have earned her a title: Demon Queen of the Night.”

 

As Henrietta wraps up the report on Natalia Lenhoff, sparkles fill Kanade’s eyes after listening in.

 

“Ehehehe…So she’s the Academy’s Strongest, huh? Now I can’t wait even more!” Kanade continues to giggle in excitement.

 

“And that’s enough of a reason why everyone seems to be afraid of her?” Katsuo continues to look for the answers to his question.

 

“Perhaps not. As a matter of fact, it’s like it’s not only limited to the mission attendant or the security personnel we encountered.”

 

“Why?”

 

“When I asked for info on her, the committee member I was talking too seemed a bit agitated when I said something regarding her. But there’s only one sure way of knowing what she’s like.”

 

The three arrive at a large door at the end of the hallway. Henrietta enters the passcode as part of the mission statement.

Afterwards, the door slides open revealing a wide brightly lit room.

 

Inside is a girl who is doing some a rapid succession of punches and kicks to a training dummy. Her shimmering silver hair tied in a ponytail gracefully  sways along with her slender body with every quick hit she lets loose.

Every blow, every attack she lands shouts with unfathomable power. As expected for someone who has earned the moniker "Demon Queen of the Night".

After noticing that the door behind her has opened, she stops her attacks and holds the dummy still which has been swinging violently from the part of the floor it is bolted down to.

“Ah! Wünderbar. You must be the people who accepted the mission I posted.” The lone girl says with a thick accent.’

“Yes. You must be Natalia Lenhoff. I look forwar—“

“So you’re the Academy’s Strongest that everyone’s been talking about!” Kanade abruptly interrupts Katsuo. “Now then…HAVE AT YOU!!!”

Kanade swiftly dashes towards Natallia while winding up an uppercut. She aims her knuckles straight at Natalia's gut.

As Kanade shoots her punch, Natalia catches it, twists her arm up along with her upper body, and slides a foot under her leg to knock her on the floor.

“Very well, now that we have introductions out of the way…” Natalia, for some reason, has felt the need to give the training dummy behind her one more punch; this time, at its center of gravity.

The dummy swings backwards with the top portion hitting the ground.

The force of the impact and the tension of the springs is enough to rip the section of the floor out from below.

These combined forces are enough to fling the dummy across the wide room and embed it to the farthest wall.

This display of strength leaves Katsuo and Henrietta speechless to the point that their jaws have fallen to the ground.

“…why don’t we get started?” Natalia continues her casual invitation.

Part 6

In a classified location, away from any form of civilization, a lone person sits quietly in a weakly lit room. The only source of illumination is the beams of artificial florescent light peeking into the small window of a heavily bolted door. Nothing but faint echoes can be heard from within the prisoner’s cell. However, all of the sudden…

Bang…bang…

A series of muffled distant gunshots reverberate through the sturdy walls. Slowly they become clearer and louder, almost piercing her ears. Whoever is shooting their weapons aren’t hiding anything. It’s a total siege outside of the prisoner’s cell.

Groaning of pain can be heard clear as day from within the cell, but the prisoner in a white full-body jumpsuit stays still as though there is nothing wrong outside. Alarms continue to blare weakly providing more sound to the already blustering exterior.

After a brief moment, all of the noises suddenly stops apart from the alarms. Heavy clanking can be heard coming from the door itself. One big pull, and the door swings open. What welcomes the prisoner is a guerrilla army carrying cheap or salvaged firearms, and at front and center is the one leading them.

She is a girl in her late adolescence with long pink flowing hair. She wears a school uniform, almost not afraid to show her identity. The only thing keeping her from doing so is a mask that covers the top half of her face.

“I thought for sure that the military’s greatest weapon of destruction would be kept under better custody.” The girl complains in an unmotivated voice.

“So…what do I owe the pleasure of such an extravagant welcome?” The prisoner asks with a snide.

“Just come with us. Your services are being required.”

The prisoner cracks her own neck as she stands up. She places a hand on the masked girl’s shoulder, which agitates  the armed men she has with her. They rattle their guns as they aim towards her, but she raises her hand to tell them to be at ease.

“You could have just given me a call and I’ll just break out myself.”

“We can’t take chances. With everything that’s happened, there is no margin for error left.” The masked girl points out.

This causes the prisoner they are trying to break out to snicker.

“I see, I see. Very well…let’s get going!”

The entire entourage casually walks along the prison’s corridors. Other prisoners bang on their own cell doors begging to be taken along. The men carrying guns have their arms on the ready covering both the front and the rear, surrounding both the prisoner they’re rescuing and the masked girl that’s leading them.

As they approach a corner, an entire battalion of guards come out of it, blocking their path. They form a blockade with a line of riot shields and lining themselves up in formation to cover the span of the corridor.

The masked girl is about to use her ability, the same ability that has helped them get this deep into the prison compound.

But…

“No. You’ve had your fun already. Tell your boys to stand down too. I’ll deal with them.” The prisoner fearlessly walks forward and away from the people who’s purpose is to escort her out of the facility.

“Prisoner! This is your only warning! Stand down right now or we will use deadly force.” The guards’ commanding officer shouts at the person walking towards them.

However, she did not give them a response. She didn’t even grant them the respect of looking them in the eyes as she has her head bowed down and her hands tucked in both her pockets. The angle her head is at is enough to cast a shadow at the top part of her face.

“Ghh!! All units, open fire!”

The wall of guns rapidly fire at the lone figure approaching them. They unload every round in their clips as per orders.

This did not faze the immediate threat they are supposed to subdue; in fact, quite the contrary.

“Ghehaha…!”

She gives a wild crackle and a grin as the bullets fired at her never even left a mark on her, instead, the guards quickly die off one after another as their heads violently rock back from the force of a small projectile penetrating their skulls.

However, all of the men under the masked girl’s command have obeyed the order to stand down. The moment the bullets touch the prisoner's skin or her clothes, the bullets act like light hitting the surface of a mirror. While maintaining the speed they are going, they go back to where they have come from, and in this case, the guards.

The guards drop almost instantly from the very bullets they fired. Eventually, only the commanding officer remains, who is then swiftly hoisted up by the neck.

“Lackeys like you really are pathetic. It’s almost like you don’t know that I spent the last five years in this place. Did you get the memo that I have the ability to manipulate direction?” The prisoner told the officer face to face.

Suddenly, the officer quickly pulls a handgun hidden at their inner breast pocket and fires a round at its assailant thinking that if she is caught by surprise, she won’t be able to change the path of the bullet.

The results are almost fatal.

The bullet is shot through one of their chests, causing them to cough up blood at the cheek of the other. The gun falls to the ground with a resounding echo.

“…that wasn’t very nice.”

The prisoner lets go of the officer who has tried to shoot her. It drops down writhing in pain and gasping for breath at the bloody wound on its chest all the while, the prisoner wipes the sticky crimson fluid from her cheek.

They all proceed to walk away from the entire dilemma.

As they leave the area, the masked girl stares at the whimpering officer that has been shot with his own bullet.

She crouches down and, with black mist emanating from her hand, touches the area where he the gunshot wound is. And slowly, the quivering pain gradually disappears.

Later as the prisoner and the armed invaders leave the prison complex, the masked girl catches up to the rest. 

“We have the package. Currently heading to point Hotel Oscar. Proceed for extraction.” She takes a radio from one of the armed men to call in the others.

The moment they continue waling outside, a rocket propelled grenade flies hastily towards them.

The prisoner they are trying to break out effortlessly swats it out of the way; causing it to explode behind them in a giant orange fireball.

Shortly after, an attack helicopter with brown camouflage paint flies overhead and opens fire. The earlier attackers look in awe, however, they soon see their hopes dashed.

The helicopter did not attack the escape team. Instead, it fires at the guards who has launched the rocket at them in the first place. 

Once the coast is clear, the helicopter hovers at a low altitude and loads everyone on board through the ropes attached to the hull. After everyone is accounted for, especially the one they came all this way to rescue, they fly away to reveal the total ruin they have left the compound in. Every contingency they could have used to prevent their escape has been destroyed before it has any chance of being used against them.

“You know you never really gave me a proper answer. What do you people want from me?”

“I told you, we can’t take chances this time. There is someone we need you to take out, someone who you could prove your strength to.” The masked girl replies.

And with that, a sharp grin is left at the now liberated prisoner’s face.

Part 7

Katsuo takes deep slow hoarse breaths as sweat drips his entire body. He lies down on the cold hard ground as air goes in and out of his lungs, cooling down the heat emanating from his body.

Natalia pins him down with her arms and body as they both look eye to eye mere inches from each other.

“I never expect you to last this long…” Natalia commends him as she too breathes heavily in sync with him.

“No wonder…you’re the Academy’s Strongest…” Katsuo says in between breaths.

“You’re not so bad yourself. You sure know how to show a girl a good time. I never felt so alive.” She says with passionate eyes.

“So…can I rest for a little bit?” He grimaces from the numbness of his lower body that has been overused.

“No…we’ll do this all night long.” Natalia continues to overpower him.

“You’re kidding…” utter defeat is shown in Katsuo’s face.

His fate is sealed as he finds himself in the mercy of the Demon Queen of the Night. Her full fury will be focused on him and he has no objections in the matter.

“…we’ll continue sparring until nightfall?!?!” Katsuo exclaims in terror.

“Oh quit complaining. It’s only been about an hour or so. I bet the sun’s barely started to come down yet.” Natalia says while getting off of Katsuo.

Back at the training complex, Katsuo, Kanade, and Henrietta continue to perform their Mission for Natalia Lenhoff.

Henrietta sips from a water bottle with a towel draped on her shoulders. Fresh sweat glistens under the light as it drips from her body.

“I just wish your friend there fared a lot better.” Natalia points her gaze towards Kanade after helping Katsuo up.

Right now, Kanade is sprawled across the floor with her limbs stretched out. All the color on her is completely drained from exhaustion. Her eyes are empty and lifeless. And if you look carefully, you could make out what appears to be her soul escaping through her gasping mouth.

Mein gött, if only she doesn’t make a lot of unnecessary attacks and ambushes, she could at least be standing now. But she is persistent, I’ll give her that.” Natalia admits while crossing her arms.

“Shocky…shocky…” Kanade lifelessly talks under her breath as weak sparks arc from her body.

Natalia gives a short sigh.

“Perhaps a break is indeed in order. I’ll get more drinks in the meantime. All of you rest up.” Natalia then opens the door.

However, as she is about to step out…

“Wait! Let me come with.” Katsuo offers.

For a moment, Natalia is surprised by the sudden request.

“Oh don’t worry yourself. I don’t want to be a bother.”

“No bother at all! I’ll help you bring those down too.”

The two of them then proceeds to head out of the wide training room as the door automatically close behind them.

However. what they didn’t see is Kanade’s hand suddenly twitching to life as an electric bolt flows across it.

After making their way back to the surface, the sun is indeed just barely set. It has felt like an eternity with how much work they had to endure during training.

They find the nearest drink vending machine, but it is surrounded by students who are loitering in front of it.

“Hey…Katsuo, right?” Almost like out of the blue, an apparent gloom envelopes her voice.

“Why don’t we go get drinks somewhere else?”

Katsuo is confused at first. It seems like she was about to turn around, but then…

“Oh crap, it’s the Demon Queen of the Night!”

“Let’s get out of here.”

“Sorry for bothering you!”

Upon seeing her, all of the students who are blocking the way hastily run off. Natalia bows her head in dismay over what has just happened.

“I’m sorry you had to see that.” She apologizes as she slowly walks towards the vending machine.

“Does that happen often?”

“All the time. I never wanted to be the strongest, or at least be treated differently because of it. But I think what I can do is the reason why they’re so afraid of me.” She gives an immediate reply.

She places two orders of drinks on top of the water to be brought back to the training room.

“Your drinks will be on me, by the way.” Natalia generously tells him.

“Oh…thanks.”

She then continues her story.

“But no matter how much I protest, everyone either fears me or despises me. Enough to maybe create some sort of rumor that will cast me in an even more negative light. Of course, if I retaliate, it will only prove them right. Being the strongest comes with expectations, responsibilities, everyone’s attention or hostility aimed at you.” The look of lonesomeness grows ever more evident on Natalia's face.

Sometimes, being strong in one way will not make you strong in others.

“All I need is a chance to show them that they can be my equal too.” A tone of bitter lonesomeness taints Natalia’s voice.

“It must feel rather lonely…”  Katsuo emphatically admits.

Natalia proceeds to rub a corner of her eye with a back of her wrist after picking up the two extra cans from the vending machine.

“Thanks for understanding…” she then offers him one of the cans.

Katsuo gratefully accepts it and looks at the label.

(“Black coffee?”)

Indeed, it is canned coffee with a black label and written with white letters.

“You’re welcome. I know we haven’t known each other that well. But you seem rather nice, regardless of what everyone else says.” Katsuo assures her with a sincere smile.

This smile sparkles in a charming glow, enough to warm anyone's heart.

Upon seeing it, Natalia’s cheeks reddened ever so slightly. Her face is in a light shock over the overwhelming sight.

(“That smile…”)

Her heart flutters from the warmth of the smile Katsuo gives.

“Hmmm? Is something wrong?” Katsuo notices that Natalia is somewhat lost in thought.

Natalia snaps out of it and coughs to change the subject.

“Heh. Don’t expect a raise when all of this is done just because of that kind of compliment.” She attempts to evade further questioning.

“I wouldn’t count on it.” Katsuo admits a hearty chuckle.

Natalia takes in a gulp of air as she grips on her unopened can of coffee tighter.

“You know…it really feels comfortable whenever I talk to you. Not sure why myself. I really am thankful that there is someone who doesn’t run away when they see me.”

Natalia turns her head towards Katsuo and slowly reaches for the top of his head. She hesitantly draws her hand back a couple of times, but then proceeds to land it on Katsuo’s head.

Given their difference in height, it’s remarkable that she was able to reach it despite being slightly shorter than Katsuo.

“W-wait...”

As Katsuo is about to ask in confusion, Natalia gradually and slowly rubs his spiky hair.

“This is how we greet each other as friend where I grew up. It’s a sign of mutual platonic affection.” Natalia explains as she continues to pat Katsuo’s head.

All of a sudden, thundering footsteps gradually become louder and clearer coming from a distance behind her.

“Aha! Finally I found you!!” Kanade points towards Natalia who casually withdraws her hand from Katsuo’s head.

“Nice to see your strength returning so quickly. I’m actually rather impressed.”

Natalia opens the can of black coffee in her hand and takes a sip from it.

“Don’t you patronize me! You haven’t once fought me seriously and I’m getting a good fight from you one way or another!” Kanade proclaims with the fire in her eyes burning more intensely.

She readies a stance and launches herself right at Natalia.

“Let’s go, Circuitbreaker!” she calls forth her Alter which manifests itself beside her in the form of an apparition that is mirroring her movement.

Natalia simply reacts to this by taking another sip of her coffee and nonchalantly stepping to the side.

This causes Kanade to lose footing, and collide at Katsuo; slamming him towards the metal vending machine.

“Owww…” Katsuo winces from the pain of the impact at both sides.

He lands on his rear with his feet apart from his attempt at regaining his balance. Kanade, however, is in a less gratifying position.

Upon recovering from the impact, she slowly pushes herself up in a bit of embarrassment and pain. She finds herself positioned in a way that her head is between his thighs.

Their eyes meet all of a sudden, frozen in shock as both of their embarrassed blushing gets worse.

A stuttering scream is trying to squeeze its way out of Kanade’s mouth. However, the look on Katsuo’s face is quickly replaced with terror by the sight he sees behind her.

Kanade is confused at first, but then a chilling sensation consumes her. She slowly turns her head to find out the source of it despite having a good idea of what it might be. What meets her vision makes her scream in terror.

“My oh my…you really can’t be left alone, can you? I find you missing from the training room and here you are, harassing on poor little Katsuo.” Henrietta comments as she cracks her knuckles.

As she does, her Alter, Safeguard, looms behind her.

(“Little Katsuo?”) He thinks in confusion.

“N-no! It’s not what you think!! It’s because of her! She…” Kanade tries to explain herself, but she trails off.

She points towards the spot where Natalia used to be in, but that spot is now empty. Kanade is petrified after realizing that she now has no way out of the sticky situation she’s in.

All Kanade can do is jump up and scurry until her back touches the wall.

“Please have mercy, I’m begging you!!!” Kanade pleads.

“Mercy is for the innocent. You…are not.”

Kanade can’t move from the utter fear that fills her body.

“Now, Safeguard!” Henrietta winds up a punch aimed straight at Kanade’s face.

The fist overflowing with sincere killing intent flies towards her.

There is nothing she could do but flinch and brace for the impact. But just as her fist is a few millimeters away from her face…

Beep…beep…

A series of sequential beeps coming from Henrietta’s utility belt halts her movement.

She dissipates her Alter and pulls the punch she is about to land on Kanade.

She reaches the object making that sound which is her cellphone.

After holding her breath in fear, Kanade just collapses to the floor; her soul attempting another escape attempt from her mouth.

“It’s me…” Henrietta answers the call.

The person on the other end takes a bit of time talking. While this happens, a look of mild disgust fades into Henrietta's face.

“…okay, I’ll put him on.” She puts the phone down and hands it over to Katsuo. “It’s for you.”

Katsuo takes the phone confused at what would have caused her to act that way.

“…yes?” he answers as he stands up.

“Yah-hou~” a cheery voice greeted him.

The same look of mild disgust appears on his face too. The cheerful and energetic voice would be no problem…if it wasn’t coming from someone in their late 30's trying to sound like a seventeen year old school girl.

“Miss Violet…what did I say about acting your age?” Katsuo pinches at the bridge of his nose between his eyes.

“Geez, I’m just trying to cheer you up, is all.”

“I can hear you pouting. What do you want?” Katsuo asks while ruffling his eyebrows.

“Can you come over to my office, pretty please? I have a little ‘private matter’ I want to discuss with you. Ehehe~” Miss Violet giggles childishly.

Luckily no one else can hear the mortifying act that the grown woman which is supposed to be the school’s headmistress.

Katsuo just sighs knowing that it’s part of her little antic, whatever it may be.

“I’m already on my way…”

“Thanks a bunch! See you then. Bye-bii~” the girl in the other end hangs up.

Katsuo returns the phone to its owner with the face of someone who has given up hope.

Part 8

Katsuo enters a dimly lit office where an enigmatic woman sits behind a desk at the far end of the room. The light inside is not enough to show her face, but it can give an idea of what she looks like. The light from the indigo sky peering down through the wide windows that cover the entire back wall reflects off her blonde hair and purple suit.

She is a mysterious woman that goes by many names. But now, she goes by the name…

“Miss Violet…to what do I owe such a welcoming audience?” Katsuo feigns subservience.

The woman chuckles as she gives off the aura of a cold temptress: conniving and cunning. She leans on her chair like a queen leering down on her subjects.

“I’m glad you received my call. Like I said before, I have a private matter I’d like to discuss with you.” Miss Violet leans forward and rests her chin on her thumbs as her other fingers, while interlocked, cover her mouth.

“You could have told me in a different way, you know. In fact, we could have discussed it over the phone.” Katsuo brings it up sounding annoyed.

“There’s no telling on who might be listening in. This office, on the other hand, has plenty of features installed to keep any prying ears from the outside at bay.”

“Let me guess. You got all this tech from your days in the military?”

“Some of them are a lot more practical than you think. But anyway, let’s get down to business.”

Miss Violet slides a folder across the desk’s surface with one hand toward’s Katsuo’s direction.

He slowly walks towards her and picks up the folder he seems to be invited to take. But as he does, he can’t help but try and look towards Miss Violet’s face.

“What’s the matter? Already missed looking at my face after being away for four years?” She teasingly asks.

Not enough light is coming in from the office to show her face. However, a wide grin can be barely seen arching across it.

A faint indescribably horrific memory flashes on Katsuo's mind upon trying to peer through the darkness.

Katsuo shakes his head brushes off the question and tries to get the conversation back on track.

“So what do you want to talk to me about?” Katsuo asks as he examines the folder’s contents.

Enough light is entering the dim room to be able to read anything without straining his eyes too much.

“Remember when I told you last week that there is a possibility of them trying to go after you again? This time they now have the means to do so. A high profile inmate was broken out of a military enforced containment facility.” Miss Violet informs him of the context of the files he’s looking at.

As she does, Katsuo comes across a form similar to what the Disciplinary Committee uses to profile the students.

The format is slightly different, but the overall content is the same. Another major difference is that unlike what he is used to see Henrietta browse through; the contents of the printed out form are partially redacted with black marker. The name is one of the pieces of information redacted from the form. What they left in its place is the prisoner’s alias.

“Inverter…” he reads out loud the only name given to the person on the accompanying photograph.

He continues to look for information that could shed more light on possibly his next assailant, apart from the partially redacted form. But no matter how much he shuffles from the documents…

“Why was she imprisoned?”

Miss Violet leans back on her chair and crosses her legs as she breathes a heavy sigh.

“That’s classified.” She promptly replies.

“Well why are you telling me all of this then?”

“This is my way of saying ‘be careful’. What you’ll be up against is no mere grunt. Call sign Inverter is someone who’s deep under secrecy, but there is one thing everyone who is at least a bit aware of her existence knows…”

That particular bit of information is what Katsuo has gone back to the partially redacted form to confirm: the physical evaluation of her Alter Abilities are staggering.

“…they may use the World’s Strongest to take you out.” Miss Violet finishes her sentence.

Katsuo glares with trembling pupils at the dark abyss of the eyes that are out to kill him. He’s a cornered animal with a predator hot on his tail, about to get him. The terror is enough to cause him to loosen his grip to allow the folder slide between his fingers; spilling its contents.

“What do you want me to do?” Katsuo shakily asks.

“Like I said, be careful. Keep your guard up and don’t go wandering on your own. There’s no telling how or when they will strike. Remember, there is strength in numbers. Your experience in the Arsenal incident should have proven that point enough.”

One week ago, Katsuo was supposed to die. What has saved him is the quick wit of those he has met and his teamwork with them.

Katsuo gives a nod to tell her that he understands.

“And…one more thing…” Miss Violet adds. “...I’ve recently received word that you accepted a mission for Natalia Lenhoff. Is it true?”

“Would that be problem for one of your so called ‘plans’?”

“Not at all! In fact, I commend you for taking initiative. You actually made things easier for me, quite the contrary. Listen; if anyone has any chance of taking on Inverter, it’s her. Stay by her side, she’s already been informed about the situation.”

“And another thing…” Katsuo takes a deep breath afterwards.

He clenches his fist and shuts his eyes tightly to collect as much strength as he could.

What he is about to ask is something of the upmost importance to him. He needs to know the answer now or he may never get the chance to. Once his confidence is set, he lets it out in one fell swoop. It’s now or never for him…

“Why is the entrance fee for the Battle Tournament so high?!”

A look of utter confusion peers through the darkness of the office.

As soon as Miss Violet gets her bearings in check, her shoulders start to quiver.

Then a faint snicker is heard…then a giggle…then a chuckle.

All of a sudden, the office is shaken by maniacal and boisterous laughter, all of which coming from the lady in violet.

“Ahahaha…ha…I’m afraid that’s just something you have to figure out yourself.” Miss Violet coughs to regain her composure. “But I will tell you this: it is all because of something you are involved in.”

“So it all goes back to me again, huh?”

“Like I said, my little Katsuo, that’s something you have to figure out on your own.”

Katsuo stands in the middle of the office dumbfounded. He realizes that this is getting him nowhere and just shakes it off.

“Never mind, then…” Katsuo bows his head in surrender.

This is enough to bring back the usual grin on Miss Violet’s face.

“Now then, it’s getting late. You’re a growing boy and you need to rest. It’ll be a bigger day that usual tomorrow, so I suggest heading to the dorms.”

With that advice from Miss Violet, Katsuo turns around and exits the office.

As soon as he shuts the door, the lady in violet swivels her chair to the side and looks at the setting sun with an elbow on the desk and her cheek on the back of her hand.

“Oh my little Katsuo… Has no one told you that money doesn’t grow on trees?" Miss Violet mutters to herself.

She reaches to a piece of paper on her desk and looks at it against the light of the setting sun. On it is an invoice for the construction company that is tasked to fix the damages to the old building. The price for the expenses quoted is so obscenely high that it is best to leave to the imagination.

"You’ll work off all the cost for the collateral damage you helped make.”

Outside of the headmistress’ office…

(“She’s right. You can’t hear anything past this door.”) He thinks to himself as he leans his back on the thick wooden door.

As he is about to leave, Henrietta approaches him after coming from a corner.

“Oh, hey there. Your meeting just ended?” Henrietta greets him

“Yeah. Not much to talk about. Just the usual…” Katsuo fibs under his breath.

Katsuo remembers the words he has heard from Miss Violet.

(“…they may use the World’s Strongest to take you out…”)

Katsuo immediately shakes these words from his head.

“Anyway, been up to anything lately?” He attempts to change the subject.

“Was just having a word with Miss Lenhoff earlier. We’ll be meeting her again at the same time tomorrow to continue the mission.” Henrietta informs him.

However, she notices that Katsuo’s hand is trembling nervously all of the sudden.

“Is something wrong, Mister Kiyabu?”

“!!” Katsuo gasps in surprise as Henrietta snaps him out of his deep thought. “N-nothing. Anyway, we should get going.”

And without another word, Katsuo brushes it off and heads on out.

This is enough to have Henrietta suspicious of what happened inside that office.

Part 9

In a remote location unknown to everyone, the former inmate only known as Inverter is meeting with the people who has rescued her.

“I assume you already have a plan after you went through all the trouble of leveling an entire military installation just to break me out.” The former inmate only known as Inverter tells everyone else.

“We do. And that’s what we are here to discuss with you.” The masked girl that has assisted Inverter’s escape answers.

“Could we have done it in a different place other than a dump like this?”

Right now, they are in what resembles an abandoned warehouse. Young moonlight is peering through the holes on the roof and ventilation system.

The same guerrilla army is surrounding the structure to keep any would be intruders at bay. A handful is walking with them in the wide room filled with twisted metal and charred aged wood. Their footsteps echo as they traverse the gravel-littered floor.

“I sincerely apologize for not being able to make more fitting accommodations for your arrival.” A different, more mechanical voice tells them from the shadows.

From the darkness of the rafters overhead, comes out a figure cloaked in red with a helmet that has a glass front. The alteration makes the voice a lot deeper and more distorted beyond recognition.

“Oh great, don’t tell me I’ll be getting a goofy outfit like that too.” Inverter scoffs at the two.

“It will not be mandatory for your case. After all, The World’s Strongest doesn’t need to hide.” The cloaked figure attempts to flatter her.

“Tch. I can’t believe I’m stuck with such freaks. So I assume you’re the one in charge? Why did you drag me all the way out here?” Inverter clicks her tongue in annoyance.

“Let’s just say it’s all for the greater good. We’d rather not let the strongest power in the world fall on the wrong hands.”

“Ghehaha…and I suppose this is the part where you kill me, isn’t it?” Inverter cockily asks.

“Not at all. In fact, I wasn’t referring to you from the start.” The cloaked figure replies.

Inverter charges right at it with a growl. But then, the figure draws a broadsword out of nowhere and parries the punch made to shatter its helmet with only one hand.

“Are you picking a fight with me?!” Inverter challenges the mysterious person before her.

“Far from it. Help us achieve our goal and your title as The World’s Strongest is assured.”

Inverter jumps backwards to back off from the cloaked figure.

“And what assurance do I have that you won’t turn on me?”

“I told you. It’s all for the greater good.”

The cloaked figure leaps down to the gravely ground, then paces around the wide room. It casually goes in and out of the light created by the moon through the large holes blown out of its roof.

While doing so, it impales dissipates the broadsword it has used earlier, dissipating it into black smoke that drifts with the light breeze.

“I’m sure you of all people of Project Promotion.” It aims the statement to Inverter.

“The experiment to create the first officially recorded Category 5. It ended a failure…”

“…because their test subject, despite exceeding every record in the books, didn’t develop a trait unique enough for its own classification.” The cloaked figure finished her sentence.

“And you’re saying that this person you want me to kill can become a Category 5?”

“We know that he can. We already confirmed what he’s capable of five years ago.”

“Again with the ‘five years ago’ crap” Inverter scratches the back of her head in annoyance. “… Fine, if it means I get to prove my claim as the strongest, I’ll play along. Just tell me who I have to kill.”

The masked girl answers the question for the cloaked figure.

“He’s a student in the school I infiltrated. His name is…”

Part 10

Katsuo Kiyabu is feeling tense despite being in a familiar situation.

It’s been a week since he has moved into the Girl’s Dormitory for “security reasons”, but it would seem that some of the usual tenants are still not comfortable with a guy in a sleeping quarters dedicated for girls.

As Henrietta is about to take the key to her, and incidentally Katsuo’s, room, Katsuo spots something catching his  curiousity.

“Miss Lenhoff? I don’t know your room is right next to ours.” He greets her as she’s about to enter her own room too.

“Ah! Well this is indeed unusual.” Natalia comments surprised. “No one’s usually using my room anyway. Chances are I’m away on some Mission myself.” She adds as she unlocks the door to her own room.

“Come on, Katsuo. Let’s go.” Henrietta urges him as she too finishes unlocking their room.

The two go in at the same time. As they go deeper into their own rooms, both start to notice a huge and important part of their rooms missing. They drop their bags on the floor in utter shock and disbelief. The remnants of what is lost can still be seen scattered about.

Henrietta and Natalia look at each other in confusion. Katsuo joins in with her mouth wide open in shock.

“WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WALL!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?” A scream from all three burst out.

True enough; a large chunk of both their room is noticeably missing. The section of the wall originally meant to separate their living spaces is cleanly removed from where it used to be. Well…almost cleanly.

The rubble which used to be the wall is scattered around the border that defines where Henrietta’s and Natalia’s rooms are. Anything that looks like it was supposed to be hanged on it is neatly placed elsewhere in their respective rooms.

Suddenly, a cushion hits Katsuo the back of his head, snapping him out of his stunned look.

“Hey would you keep it down? Some people are trying to sleep.” A voice coming from whoever has thrown that cushion.

It appears that an unwanted visitor has wandered into Henrietta’s room and is lying on the couch. Evidences suggest that this intruder is the culprit on the sudden wall’s destruction. Said evidences are the oversized sledgehammer the suspect is cuddling and the white dust from the rubble still stuck to her black long sleeved uniform.

This person responsible is none other than...

“Miss Ishihara…care to explain yourself? We’ve caught you red handed.” Henrietta interrogates in her chilling icy voice. 

Henrietta’s shadow looms over the half-awake Kanade. She cracks her knuckles as the angle her head is in to look towards her is causing one of the lenses in her glasses to reflect pure white light.

Upon seeing this, Kanade rolls off to the floor and falls down on her knees in pure terror.

“No wait! You want an explanation, I can give you one. It’s the headmistress! Yeah, that’s it. The headmistress put me up to it!” Kanade tries to negotiate with Henrietta.

As if on cue, a call comes from Henrietta’s phone again.

“What is with your luck and receiving calls of the sudden?” Katsuo acknowledges the unusual coincidence occurring.

Henrietta reaches for a pocket on her utility belt and pulls her phone out. She flips it open and notices the caller ID. With a press of a button, Henrietta places the call on speaker.

“Hai hai~ By the way Katsuo dear, I forgot to mention that I had Miss Ishihara leave you a welcome gift as celebration of your new friendship with Miss Lenhoff. Did you receive it yet? Hello?”

Complete mortification consumes all four of them.

“Just what did Miss Violet offer you in return of doing this?” Katsuo whispers to her.

“A complete pardon on my ‘destruction of school property’ charges.” Kanade embarrassingly answers.

“Hello? Little Katsuo, are you still there? Why is the call so echo—“

Henrietta folds her phone shut to end the call, cutting off Miss Violet's words.

The two rooms have become one. The literal wall that keeps them apart has been torn down. Back in the day, this would have been a joyous metaphor of some sorts for the unification of warring factions. But right now, it feels like they are pieces to a game being orchestrated by an impish grown woman who is said to not be acting her age.

Mein gött…I never knew that the headmistress was so…”

“Conniving? Mischievous? Scheming?” Katsuo brings up some suggestions for Natalia.

“Childish!” Natalia finishes her earlier sentence. “I’m amazed the school is even functioning properly with her acting like that.”

“Well it looks like there’s no helping it. It’s been a long day. We should get some rest.” Henrietta advices everyone.

Later that night…

(“Honestly…do they have to make such a fuss about it?”) Katsuo thinks to himself.

Henrietta is somehow eventually convinced to let Katsuo sleep alone at the couch. As punishment for demolishing their room’s wall without their consent, Kanade is sleeping at the cold wood floor with only a blanket to get by.

Katsuo looks up at the ceiling and thinks back to what Miss Violet has informed him about what is to come. The soulless eyes still clearly burned to the back of his mind continue to gaze into him.

(“We were not even supposed to survive Arsenal’s attack. It was all a fluke.”)

Katsuo presses his eyes shut as tightly as he can to try and calm the noises in his mind. But no matter how hard he tries, there is no stopping the voices.

(“You’re no hero…”)

The same soul haunts him to this day: the first blood he’s ever spilled.

(“I got them all into this mess. They wouldn’t be tangled up because of me. I’m the one they’re after, anyway.”)

Katsuo tosses and turns as he tries and sleep away the noises. However, unknown to him or to anyone else, Katsuo’s movements has attracted the attention of someone peeking by the corner.

A girl with long silver hair stands by the hole that connects the two rooms.

“I will do whatever it takes, Katsuo…I swear it…” Natalia says under her breath in order to not alert anyone.

1