Episode 8: Death’s Wish
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 1

“This one’s for you, Alexia dear!”

One Christmas morning as the snow slowly trickles from the sky, a young Alexia opens the present that she has received. What is inside is a blue hooded jacket.

Every relative in her home cheers in joy. Her mother, her grandparents, aunts and uncles, nearly everyone is present. However, one seat is noticeably absent.

 “Don’t worry…”Her mother rubs on her blonde hair. “…daddy will be home eventually.”

A few more months go by and Alexia is celebrating her birthday. A cake is set in front of her with candles lit.

“Now just blow up the candles and make a wish.”

Alexia closes her eyes and thinks of the only wish that she wants.

(“I wish…I wish that I could see my father someday.”)

And then she proceeds to blow out her candles.

Years go by and the closing ceremony for Alexia’s middle school has just concluded.

“Well, I suppose this is goodbye.”

“Yeah…I suppose it is.”

As their last days come to a close, they say their final goodbyes. The friends hug it out and they each go their separate ways.

Alexia puts on the hood of her blue jacket and tucks her hands in its loose pockets. She turns her head to look over her shoulder and sees one of her friends hugging and thanking her parents…both of them.

She gives a weak smile as she continues to walk, but deep in her heart, she can feel a hint of envy that one of her friends get to experience the joy of a complete family.

She passes by the school gates when she notices someone among the trees. The shadows of the leaves are obscuring her face.

“My offer still stands, you know.” Miss Violet tells her with her arms crossed. “There are still a lot of things going on that you don’t know about. And also things that happened since we last met. You think going through with that experiment your father developed will get you answers? There’s no difference between you and him now than before.”

Alexia clicks her tongue in annoyance.

“I just want my father to be there for me. That’s all. That’s the entire reason I volunteered for that procedure.”

“And look where that left you. You’re now stuck between Alter categories.” Miss Violet takes a deep breath. “Your father got involved with some pretty shady people. They were looking for the vital component that finally pushed his research to the right direction. And we need your help to keep it safe.”

The look of hesitation reflects on Alexia’s eyes. Deep inside this is what she wants, but coming from someone who she is not very familiar with, she’s not sure if she’s to be trusted.

“Just tell me what I need to do.”

And then, that night, Alexia’s mother knocks on the door to her daughter’s room.

“Honey, can I come in? I know you’re upset that your father didn’t make it. I just want to talk for a moment.”

No response comes through.

“Alexia?” Another knock follows.

Still no response.

The mother opens the door and what she sees fills her with shock and grief.

Alexia lies sprawled on the floor lifelessly. Her dead blank eyes stare in oblivion. A hand is clutched over her chest. No air goes in or out of her mouth. The eternal gaze of a youth’s life being extinguished stares back at her mother.

She covers her mouth as tears leak from her eyes. She drops on her knees, and shouts in grief to the heavens.

Her only child is dead…at least, that is what she believes.

Part 2

A few months of keeping her cover as Alex Kenningway, Alexia Kingsley’s identity is now revealed to five other people.

“So, that’s what the headmistress was hiding all along.” Henrietta puts the pieces together.

“The daughter of the head scientist that lead the charge to pioneer the research on Alters… I never thought I’d get the opportunity to meet someone on such a stature, even in my status.” Natalia says amazed.

Katsuo can’t help but contemplate about something. The troubled look on his face shows that something is floating in his mind.

“What’s wrong?” Kanade asks out of concern.

“I’ve been wondering. What is that key that the headmistress wants to keep safe? And how does it link to Professor Kingsley’s research?”

Alexia gives a smile.

“The Necrosis Protocol.” She gives a quick answer.

“Necrosis…you mean…”

“Yes. It was a risky procedure that involves cellular lobotomy. I was lucky to make it out alive. But…it did come with a price.” Suddenly, a dark miasma surrounds her. A leather hood forms over the dark cloud. Although Alexia is able to manifest one, her Alter still cannot produce a physical form.

“Alters are hallucinations given form.” She continues. “I was meant to be just a lowly Category 1. After going through with that operation, I went up to a staggering Category 3. I thought so too, but…that was not the case. The experiment was only a partial success. I can’t fully manifest Necrosis. I suppose you could say that I’m stuck between Categories. What they’re after is how I was able to survive the effects of the experiment.”

Regret taints her voice, knowing that she now bears an irreversible curse. With a look of pity on her eyes, the dark mist is blown away into the wind.

“Alex…”

“I thought for sure I would finally get my father to come back. I thought that this might bring him to my side, but…but then…”

She remembers getting news one day. This news has shattered any chance of that wish from happening.

All of a sudden, a hand lands gently on Alexia’s head with a pat.

She turns her head up and sees the person doing so. Katsuo looks at her with a wide and happy grin.

“It’s okay. I’m sure you’ll see your father again. And when that day comes, I’m sure he’ll welcome you with open arms.” He assures her as he sits on the bed by her side.

“Are you sure about that?”

Katsuo nods in response.

“Positive. In fact, we’ll make certain that it’ll happen. I promise.” Katsuo closes his eyes and tilts his head.

Alexia bows her head with a weary smile and shaded eyes.

“You fool…don’t make promises you can’t keep…” She whispers under her breath

A hand slowly rises into the air.

“I still have a question. How do you hide…those…when you’re dressing up as a boy?” Kanade makes a bulging gesture over her chest.

Alexia and Katsuo are alarmed that she would even bring up such a point.

A menacing aura emanates from Henrietta. Her hair flows along a gust of wind that has mysteriously come out of nowhere. Her Alter, Safeguard, looms behind her as she glares at Kanade in disgust.

“Well now. It seems that your perversion simply knows no bounds, does it?”

Sweat drops frantically fly off of Kanade’s head as she flails her hands in denial.

“I…I was just curious, is all! I mean we all saw him - I mean her in a skintight outfit, and it didn’t even look like she was a girl then. So I figure that maybe she wraps them up or something…”

Alexia chuckles at the two at how lively they interact.

“Well…being flat chested does have its advantages.” She gives in reply.

Natalia places a hand on Alexia’s shoulder and gives her a thumbs-up while her eyes sparkle.

(“Looks like she found an ally.”) Everyone thinks in unison.

A light buzzing suddenly gets their attention. Alexia takes out a phone from her pants’ pocket and answers it.

“Yes…They know…As you wish…” She takes the phone off her ear and presses a button on the phone.

Alexia holds out the phone in the middle of the group where everyone is gathered about.

“So…you finally figured it out.” The voice of Miss Violet calls from the speakerphone.

“Why go through all of this trouble? You could have just told us.” Katsuo points out.

“Do you honestly think you’ll believe if I tell it to you up front? It’ll be much better if I show you instead of just telling you. If there’s one thing all of you know me for, is for being a compulsive liar. Your eyes are far more trustworthy than I could ever be.”

“I would like to go back to my earlier question the other day then. What does Deathwish have to do with any of this?” Henrietta asks in response.

“She was tasked to be the one on the inside, a spy if you will. Her goal was to find out what Blood Blade wants with Professor Harvey Kingsley’s research. The first step to get the scent off of her…”

“…was to fake her own death…” Henrietta continues her sentence.

Alexia nods in agreement.

“How about the Codec…whatever. Is it really stolen or not?” Katsuo wants to clarify that point.

“It is. In fact, what she said was damage control. Orders to steal it came from Blood Blade. She tried to steal it back, but it’s nowhere to be found.”

“And that’s why you were gone the entire day…”

“Aren’t you worried that someone will catch wind of this while we’re talking? Knowing you, you’d be the most paranoid about this sort of thing.” Natalia asks in turn.

“This phone line is secure. Not to mention, this phone only has a limited range with its speakerphone to prevent too much people from hearing.”

“Looks like a pretty standard phone to me.” Kagami comments.

“Appearances can be deceiving. Today’s encounter should have made that perfectly clear.”

Miss Violet breathes a heavy sigh.

“You know what? I do feel bad that I kept this particular matter hidden from all of you. Tell you what, I’ll let any of you make one request and I’ll have it granted.” Miss Violet offers.

Alexia’s eyes widen in surprise. This has been the opportunity she has asked for.

“Well…I do have one request.” She brings up. “I was hoping that maybe Katsuo and I could…you know, go out some time…to, well, maybe get to know him a bit more…”

Everyone in the room turns their heads in surprise.

(“You mean…”) Kagami says in her head.

(“…like a…”) Natalia says in her mind.

(“…DATE?!?!?!”) Kanade furiously asks in her mind as bolts of electricity run through her body.

Joyous laughter can be heard at the other side of the phone.

“Oh, young love…what I’d do to be the same age as you again. Very well, I’ll have arrangements made to maybe at least give you some fresh air. Also, I’ll be giving all of you the rest of the day off. Any school work done today will be excused. I’ll have the military act as backup just in case. Oh and…one more thing. Don’t use your Alter abilities or your Alters out in the open. Remember that your powers are under military surveillance since you’re students of this school.” And with those words, Miss Violet hangs up the phone.

“Actually, now that I think about it, going out in the public is rather dangerous. The enemies already know what Katsuo looks like, so singling him out would be rather easy.”

Alexia smiles as an idea forms in her head.

“Well…why don’t we make him someone they’re NOT looking for?”

Alexia heads to another trunk hidden in her room. She opens it and takes out two items from it and shows it to everyone. Upon sight, Kanade bursts in boisterous hysterical laughter.

“That’s…actually not a bad idea.” Henrietta agrees.

Everyone nods along as they agree with Alexia’s plan.

Katsuo, however, is in complete terror. His face goes pale as he frantically waves his hands in denial.

“Oh no! Oh nonononononononono!!!!”

Part 3

Hours later at the footbridge by the train station, a stylish young boy with blonde hair and emerald eyes is leaning against a railing while checking his cellphone. All the while, girls that are walking by are checking him out.

“Hey, look at that guy!” “So cool!” “His eyes are cute!” “You think he’s available?” “Maybe he’s waiting for someone.”

A thin smile is placed on his face as he uses his fingers to brush his hair. Sudden sparkles surround him casually just by standing on the spot.

Alex Kenningway is on standby as everyone moves to position. In another part of the station inside a cramp room, Katsuo is undergoing a more thorough set of preparations.

“Hey, don’t put that on—“ Katsuo tries to stop Henrietta from placing something on his lips.

“Hold still and pucker up.” She takes a red lipstick and runs it across his lips.

“Ugggh…it’s so waxy…”

“Now just spread it evenly on your lips. Quickly press you lips together and push it inwards.”

Katsuo does so, but his skin immediately crawls in disgust as he shudders.

“Uhhh…it’s worse than I thought.”

“And now, for the finishing touch!” Natalia places the same black ruffled wig that Alexia has shown earlier.

“There! You look great, Katsuo. Sorry, I meant…Kasumi.” Kagami holds up a mirror to show Katsuo’s transformation.

Before him stands a girl in a black dress over a white short-sleeved blouse.  The ruffled black hair shines bright despite being only a wig.

He looks at his reflection and parts the hair a bit and fixes up the black ribbon that’s keeping it on a ponytail.

Kanade is in a corner keeping her laughter contained while repeatedly hitting a nearby wall. Katsuo, or rather, Kasumi sighs in dismay.

“I’m telling you, no one will fall for this." Kasumi says as she parts her wig to the side.

“Relax, you look fine! Even more stylish than I’ll ever be.” Henrietta compliments the disguised Katsuo.

Kasumi slowly shakes her head.

“Let’s get this over with.”

“Remember to smile when you get there, okay?” Natalia advises her.

Kasumi gives a troubled smile that’s cracking from a twitching lip. Natalia tries to hold in her laughter, but instead covers her mouth, turns her head to the side, and snickers a bit.

“Don’t forget your purse!” Kanade hands Kasumi a small bag while still laughing under her breath.

Kasumi reluctantly grabs it. Immediately after, she feels someone pushing her from the back.

“Come on now! Don’t keep your date waiting.” Kagami pushes her out of the broom closet they are hiding and shuts the door behind her.

“Hey wai—!!” She turns around, but the door is already closed.

“Don’t worry! If anything happens, we’ll always be right behind you.” Natalia’s muffled voice resonates through the closet door.

Kasumi bows her head in dismay with a sigh.

“Good grief…”

Kasumi looks around and it’s easy to notice that among the crowd are soldiers going undercover to provide further monitoring during the date that Alexia has requested. 

There are those disguised as janitors, passengers, mothers, plants, mascots, dogs, babies, and even vending machines. She even catches glimpses of some wandering the rooftops of buildings in all-black attire. As long as someone is wearing sunglasses, and has a comically false mustache, it’s very likely they are undercover soldiers.

Yes, even the dogs.

Since no one else apart from those in AEGIS knows about Alex Kenningway, Alexia can use that identity. However, to hide from anyone trying to get him, Katsuo has to don a disguise. And to throw the scent off of him, he needs to become a she.

“Well, good thing this is just for the day…”

Back at the footbridge by the station where Alex is waiting…

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” Kasumi greets him as she plays with her hair.

Upon seeing her, a rosy aura emanates from Kasumi. She bashfully plays with her hair and looks away with a blush on her face.

“How…how do I look?” She asks as she tucks some hair behind her ear.

Alex smiles as he admires Kasumi’s beauty. Her rosy cheeks and smooth lips give off a vibrant red. Her shiny black hair reflects the glistening sun. And the simple yet elegant dress emphasizes her charm.

“Fantastic! Come on, let’s go.” Alex holds out a hand towards Kasumi.

She blushes in embarrassment and slowly reaches for it. With each other’s hand in on theirs, they walk onwards to start their date.

“What an adorable couple!” “I wish I was as lucky as her.” “She’s so cute!” “I want her outfit.” “Her lipstick’s a bit messed up though.”

Once they leave the station, Henrietta and the others silently tail the couple.

“This is Team Alpha to mission control. Operation Date is a go. Proceeding to remote surveillance.” Henrietta reports over the phone.

Back at the station, a man nibbling on a sandwich is about to buy a drink from the vending machine.

As he is about to insert the money, the vending machine just stands up and walks away much to the man’s confusion.

Gob-smacked, he turns a gaze at the sandwich he’s eating, promptly throws it in a trash can and walks off.

Part 4

“Please, take one. Here, please take one. Thank you very much!”

Down the street, a maid in uniform is handing out flyers. With a smile on her face, she gives these sheets of paper to every passerby she encounters. Alex and Kasumi, still hand in hand, runs into this maid.

“Y-you don’t have to keep holding my hand, you know.” Kasumi whispers to Alex.

“If you want to keep up the act that we’re dating, we have to do this.”

Kasumi continues blushing up a storm. However, something snaps her out of it.

“Please take one!” The maid urges her.

Kasumi looks at the sparkling eyes of the maid that’s just begging her to take it. She resists for a brief moment. However, upon looking dead into the cute maid’s eyes, she grabs a hold of the piece of paper she’s giving out.

“Thank you very much!” She thanks with a bow.

Kasumi takes a quick glance at the flyer, while doing so, Alex takes one flyer too. The maid promptly thanks him.

“Oh look! A café is having a special today. Let’s go there!” Alex invites Kasumi.

She looks at the scribbles on the flyer, then back at the maid. Almost like piercing through, Kasumi examines the maid as though she’s suspicious of her.

“!!” The maid gulps in fear as she starts getting conscious.

“Come now, Kasumi dear. Don’t make the poor maid uncomfortable.”

“Yeah, but—“ Katsuo says using his normal voice.

However, Alexia quickly nudges him with an elbow by the side of his ribs before anyone could catch on. She taps on her own throat with her middle and forefinger; telling Katsuo to be mindful of the kind of the voice he uses when disguised as Kasumi.

“Uhmm…I mean, sure. Sounds like fun!” Kasumi says in a more feminine voice…to the best of her ability.

Meanwhile, behind an electric pole a few meters away, Kanade, Henrietta, Natalia, and Kagami are peering behind it to continue monitoring the situation.

“The target almost blew cover. Threat averted. Set alert phase back to level 2.” Henrietta whispers to her phone.

Natalia, however, continues to examine the maid that has given them the flyers.

“Huh? What’s wrong?” Kagami asks out of curiosity.

“It’s just that…something feels off about that maid; like she’s hiding something.” Natalia squints her eyes to try and get a better look at her from the distance.

“Must be your imagination.” Henrietta folds her phone shut. “Now come on. They already went inside the café.”

Inside the humble café, a bell rings signifying the door opening and the arrival of customers.

“Welcome~!” The hefty man behind the counter greets the four girls as he wipes some drinking glasses clean.

Henrietta looks around for an available table and quietly walks towards it with the others going behind. However, the bell on the door has already alerted Kasumi of their presence.

Alex is seated in a way that his back is facing the door. So when Kasumi suddenly glooms upon seeing the four girls taking the booth seat three places away from theirs, he can’t help but wonder.

“Hmm? Is something wrong?”

“Ah! N-no…nothing at all!” Kasumi worryingly smiles.

“Here are your menus.” The waitress tells the four girls as she hands all of them one.

Henrietta is seated adjacent to Kasumi. She glares at her from behind her menu. Kanade, who is seated beside her, is doing the same. However, she is giving off faint sparks, maybe not enough to be noticed.

(“Oh come on! Talk about obvious.”) Katsuo comments with a snide in his mind and a twitchy grin on his face.

Natalia, on the other hand, is keeping an eye at the maid still gleefully handing out flyers outside the café.

“Please, take one! Here, take one! Take one, please! Thank you very much!” The maid’s cheerful voice can be heard through the glass window.

“I told you, there’s nothing wrong with that maid.” Henrietta continues to convince her.

Natalia bows her head in surrender. “You’re right. Maybe I’m just overreacting.”

She gazes out the window one more time and notices that the maid starts fidgeting and feeling uneasy. With the flyers tucked to her chest, she dashes through the front door.

“Hey Pops, need a quick toilet break!”

“Hmmm? Sure, go on ahead. Make it quick!” The hefty man behind the counter tells the maid.

She places the flyers on the counter and makes a mad dash to the restrooms, specifically…towards the men’s room.

Luckily, the waitress stops her.

“Hey! Don’t let it happen like last time.”

“Eeeeeh~?!” Sounding like it is against her will, she dashes away from the door to the men’s room and goes through the other door.

 (“Wait did she—? No…it can’t be. But…) Natalia thinks as she observes the door to the female restroom.

Back at Kasumi and Alex’s table…

“Here are your orders.” The waitress sets a slice of cake for each of them.

Kasumi gets a rich moist dark chocolate cake with chocolate syrup drizzled over it. Alex gets a light and fluffy strawberry shortcake topped with whipped cream.

“Please enjoy your food.” And with those words, the waitress gives a bow and leaves the two customers alone.

Kasumi takes a fork and slices the part of her cake. She stabs it with the fork and pops it into her mouth. A sudden explosion of sweetness fills her pallet. Her eyes widen at the pure bliss of the rich flavor.

“So good!” She whispers under her breath.

She takes another scoop, bigger than the last, and stuffs it in her mouth. Captivated by the complete sweetness of the cake, she places a hand on her cheek and a smile on her face.

“Ah! You got a little something on your…” Alex gestures towards the tip of his lips.

Kasumi notices where Alex is pointing at and quickly reaches for the napkin by her side.

“Here, let me get that for you.” Alex hunches over and places a hand on Kasumi’s cheek.

Alex uses his thumb to wipe the stain off the corner of her lips. He sits back down and licks the chocolate off her thumb.

Kasumi covers her mouth while her face turns beet red.

Henrietta directs a sideward glance towards Kanade who is sparking a bit more violently.

“How…how indecent!” She mumbles under her breath with her head tucked behind the menu she’s holding.

(“You’re kidding, right?”) Henrietta remarks in her head.

“Uhmm…are you ready to order?” The waitress worrisomely asks.

“Just…give us a few more moments.” Henrietta replies with her eyes still locked at the two.

Once all of the stain is gone, Alex sits back down at his chair.

“There. All better.” He says with a smile.

Around a minute later, they are both about to finish their own cakes.

“You know…I can still get you one of their special strawberry cakes. It’ll be on me too. I don’t really mind.” Alex offers.

“Hmm?” Kasumi turns her attention to him with cheeks full.

She quickly swallows and gives her answer.

“Oh there’s no need, really. I’m fine with the regular chocolate cake.” She answers calmly.

(“Not to mention it’s a bit on the expensive side. I know the money is from the military and all, but I don’t think taxpayers would take kindly when they find out that their money is being used on a date.”)

Kasumi takes the last bit of her cake and scuffs it down in an instant. Alex takes the last morsel of his strawberry shortcake. He brings it a few inches from his mouth, but then suddenly stops.

“Well…how about…I feed you my last piece?” He casually invites.

Henrietta’s glasses, which is reflecting the white light from the window, cracks slightly.

Kanade clutches her menu tighter.

Natalia is still keeping watch at the girl’s restroom while Kagami is still thinking on which cake to get.

Kasumi nearly chokes from the sudden offer. She coughs for a bit then swallows the rest.

“Uhmmm…I don’t think that’s necessary. I mean…” Kasumi tries to politely decline.

“Oh don’t worry. It’s no problem. Now come on, say ahhh.” Alex directs his fork towards Kasumi’s mouth.

“Uh…ummm…ahhh…” Kasumi slowly closes her eyes and opens her mouth while tucking her a lock of hair behind her ear.

Kanade’s sparks zip around more erratically as she turns redder than a ripe tomato.

The fork with the bit of cake in the end enters Kasumi’s mouth. The spongy consistency and the creaminess of the filling is starkly different from the strong fragrant chocolate cake she has.

(“Oh wow! This is delicious!”) She thinks in heavenly bliss.

“Th…that damn idiot…” Kanade says gritting her teeth as she bushes even harder and buries her face into the menu.

Kasumi has a gleefully silly smile on her face after taking a bite of Alex’s cake. Alex covers his mouth loosely and lets out a short giggle.

“I’m glad you liked it.” He says with a vibrant smile.

“So, where do you want to go next?” Kasumi asks.

“Well…” He puts a finger on his chin and looks up and away. “…I heard that there’s an arcade nearby.”

Kasumi nods in agreement. “Sure. Let’s go.”

After promptly paying for their food, they both head to the front door. Both of them pay the four girls no mind as Henrietta quickly hides her face behind her menu. The clinging of the bell announces their departure.

“Thank you for your patronage!” The waitress greets them off.

Noticing this, Henrietta quickly whips out her phone.

“Target is leaving the area. Heading towards point Zulu-32: the arcade down the block.”

“Is…is it over?” Kanade asks in a trembling voice with her blushing face still firmly attached to the menu.

“Yes it is. Now move! They already left.” Henrietta shoves Kanade out of the way to give chase. 

“Hey, what’s your problem?!” She asks she shuffles to her feet and dashes off.

“Eh?! We’re leaving already? But I haven’t gotten to eat yet!” Kagami complains.

“No time or money. Let’s go.” Kanade quickly grabs her by the wrist and drags her off the table.

Natalia, however, is left behind.

“Let it go! You won’t find anything on her.” Henrietta comes back and grasps Natalia by the collar of her blouse.

This snaps her out of it as she is hoisted off with the rest of the group.

“Hey, hold on—!!!” Natalia calls out as she is pulled away.

Part 5

In an abandoned castle, two combatants are locked in furious conflict. One of which is an adolescent boy with traits reminiscent of a dragon. His red scaly arm with scales that shine like hardened metal peer through the torn right sleeve of his school uniform. 

“Haha!! I got you now!” Exclaims his opponent.

The boy is fighting a scantily clad woman. Tears along her tank top and jean shorts provocatively show more of her skin. By her side is a lion with mane made up of burning red fire. She keeps it at bay with a leather whip that she holds in her hand. 

“I don’t think so. Take this!! I’ll shatter that dream of yours! Armor Break!!” The boy shouts as he rushes towards his opponent, launching his dragon arm for a jab.

“Not bad…but prepare to be turned into ashes!” The lion tamer shouts as she prepares her attack,

She launches a flurry of lashes with her whip and finishes by giving a loud whistle. This calls on her lion with a fire mane which gives a large pounce to her opponent.

The half-dragon high school boy is sent flying and on his back.

“Fire Tamer…wins!” The arcade game congratulates the victor of the fighting game that has just concluded.

“So then…will you become my contracted attraction?” The lion tamer addresses the winning player.

Alex and Kasumi stare at the screen that shows the outcome of the recently concluded match.

“Wow, you’re good at this.” Kasumi commends Alex on a good battle.

“It’s nothing. I used to play this back in the day. You should have seen that. They had this soldier that chucks bombs a lot. It can call in a barrage from this giant robot and it hits so hard!” Alex discusses as they stand up and leave the machine.

The noise of the games and the patrons fill the bright arcade that is packed to the brim with players.

There is a wide assortment of games to choose from; ranging from the fighting games like the one they have just played, to the driving games that have a replicated seat and dashboard, to shooters that is controlled with plastic guns.

The cramp walkways are filled with people eager to try their hands on the various machines

In a corner a few paces back, Henrietta and Kanade are continuing their monitoring of the couple.

“This is bad…” Henrietta comments.

“Tell me about it. I swear that catcher game is rigged.” Kanade answers.

“Not that. Look, the people here are this densely compact! That does it, I’m calling for extraction.”

Henrietta is about to dial a number on her phone, however, that is when she notices something missing.

“Hey, where are those two?” She offhandedly asks.

“Well…” Kanade turns her attention to one of the arcade games.

Natalia winds up a big punch and lets it loose in a thundering shockwave. A padded bag violently shoots backwards as a lever tips over.

“New high score!!” The machine announces with the electronic chimes and flashing lights.

“Hey, no fair! You used your magnitude abilities on that one!!” Kagami protests.

“Big talk; let’s see if you can back it up!”

“HEY!!” An angry voice barks from behind the two. “We don’t have time for fun and games. Remember, we’re on a mission. Right, Miss Ishihara?” Henrietta and turns to her as she asks while folding her arms and pushing up he glasses.

She finds her hopping and skipping within a set grid of colored tiles that light up on impact. Each step she takes is in tune to a song that everyone is familiar with. Her movements chain together to create a vigorous dance.

“Come on, time to get off the stage. The judges have voted you off.” Henrietta drags Kanade off the small platform.

“Ah, hey!! At least let me finish this song!”

“They’re getting away. You can continue dancing some other time.”

With no one to continue the dance, the machine keeps displaying misses all around. Eventually, the song fails on its own a moment before it could reach the chorus.

Meanwhile, Alex and Kasumi come across a lone photo booth. Sounds and lights coming from it entice all that pass by it to give it a try.

“Hey, how about a picture for the two of us.” Kasumi invites Alex.

He closes his eyes and gives a thin smile in response.

He grabs Kasumi’s hands and drags her inside. She stumbles a bit as Alex parts the curtains.

Once inside the cramp stall and they got the machine to start, Alex immediately hugs on to Kasumi’s arm firmly.

“Hey…are you having fun?” Alex asks out of the blue.

Kasumi gives a smile. “Of course I am.”

“It seems rather selfish of me to pull you out of the blue to go on something like this. After all, it’s not like you’ve been on one of these before, right?”

“Well…I can’t say for certain…” Kasumi looks away while lightly scratching her cheek.

Alex giggles a bit as he looks at the flustered Kasumi.

“Don’t worry; this is my first date too.”

Kasumi shifts her head back in surprise.

“I find that hard to believe. You mean you’re not the kind that was popular with boys?”

A shade of gloom suddenly shrouds Alex’s face.

“Well…I’ve never actually had a fruitful romantic life.”

“There’s a first time for everything, right? You’ll find the right man for you one day. I believe it.”

A happy smile casts away his frown.

Suddenly, Alex grabs a tighter hold of Kasumi’s arm. Kasumi turns her head toward him surprised. A flash immediately fills the room.

After the machine takes their picture, Alex looks at Kasumi with a lovely smile.

“Thank you. It means a lot…”

Back to the four girls tailing them…

“Jeez…I can’t believe we lost her.” Kanade pouts as she crosses her arms.

“Well it seems splitting up was not such a good idea after all. Can you call her on your phone?” Natalia asks as she surveys the crowd for Henrietta.

“I don’t have one. And even if I do, I won’t take the Disciplinary Chair’s number.” She answers annoyed.

Suddenly, among the noisy crowd, one particularly familiar sound catches their ears.

“Oh come on!” A shout from Henrietta attracts the attention of the two.

She is currently having a squabble with one of the prize catcher machines. A huge stuffed lavender cat is close to the edge of the chute. She is pressing her face and both palms on the glass wall as she angrily stares at the plush toy. She grumbles and growls as she has used the last of her change to try and catch that toy.

All of a sudden, snickers are heard behind her. She quickly turns her head to look over her shoulder and sees Natalia and Kanade desperately trying to control their laughter.

“Khhhh…yeah…no time for fun and games. What’s the matter, stuffed cat got your tongue?” Kanade taunts as she clutches her waist to keep her chuckles in.

Natalia is hunched over a game machine to support her weigh as she tries not to burst in a boisterous laugh.

In response, Henrietta quickly turns around and pushes on her glasses.

“Well…I heard that you said that the catcher machines were rigged. As the Disciplinary Committee Chairperson, I cannot allow such injustice to exist.” She frantically tries to regain her composure; however, she slowly and faintly starts to blush.

Kanade crosses her arms with a conniving smug look on her face.

“!!” Henrietta gulps as she blushes even more.

She coughs to calm herself down and to divert their attention.

“A-anyway, we should search for Miss Kasumi. Come on now; let’s check on the machines outside.” Henrietta says with a huff as she storms off.

“Too easy!” Kanade says with a sly grin then follows behind.

Natalia quickly wipes a tear off the corner of her eye and shuffles behind the two.

Once they leave, Alex and Kasumi come across the same prize catcher machine.

Alex’s eyes are drawn to the adorable cat doll that is near the prize chute.

His eyes sparkle at the cute gaze of the fluffy kitten. Kasumi stops the moment she notices that Alex is frozen in place; mesmerized by the fuzzy feline inside the machine.

Alex quickly realizes this and shakes his head to regain his composure.

“So…want me to win you that thing?” He swiftly points at it with his thumb.

“No need. Everyone knows those games are rigged anyway.”

“Oh come on. Look, it’s near the edge. Just one try is all it takes.”

Alex takes out a coin and inserts it at the machine’s slot.

The claw in the catcher game whirls into life with the chime of the music.

Using the controls on the machine’s console, he maneuvers it towards the stuffed animal.

Once he thinks it’s over the toy he wants, he slams hard on the button. The claw slowly descends on the toy and gently and slowly clamps its metal appendages around it.

Alex’s eyes widen in anticipation. He presses both his hands at the glass case as he watches the machine whirl.

Kasumi, on the other hand, stands from a distance just to observe.

The metal claw starts to rise. The lavender cat is in its grasp…but not for long.

The weight of the stuffing causes it to tip away from the chute.

It slips away from the claw’s clutches and back where it started out on.

The claw hovers over the chute and opens up without the prize.

Alex slams his fist on the console in defeat. He bows his head in dismay and clenches his teeth over the failure.

Kasumi breathes a heavy sigh and walks towards Alex.

She places a hand over his shoulder as she places her purse on the small console. He responds by slightly shifting out of her way.

“There’s usually a trick to this. Most often the not, it won’t maintain a steady grip no matter how much you try.” Kasumi explains as she takes out a coin from her purse and inserts it into the machine. “So if it won’t play by the rules, then neither will we.”

The machine’s claw moves to her precise movements.

Once it is over presumably its center of gravity, Kasumi presses the catch button.

The metal pincer descends once more; however, it misses the cat entirely.

It instead grabs the stuffed animal that’s below it from behind.

The machine grabs a hold of a green teddy bear and, to her surprise, is holding on tight.

As the claw hoists the bear up, the lavender cat is tipped towards the chute and falls right down the hole.

Alex stares in amazement. The claw still hangs on to the fuzzy bear as it hovers over the chute.

It lets go of the teddy bear, and falls along with the stuffed cat.

Kasumi bends down and takes the two toys from the prize chute.

She holds both of them in her hands, but even she can’t believe her eyes.

“Well…this is unexpected.” Kasumi says in amazement.

She looks at Alex who is eagerly looking at the lavender cat she has been eyeing at all this time.

Kasumi smiles and hands both of them over to her.

He gratefully takes it and clutches it by his chest with a big warm hug.

However, he notices that Kasumi is giving a bashful smile while avoiding eye contact with him.

“How did you do that?” Alex asks in curiosity.

“Well…honestly speaking, I don’t. To be more accurate, I never tried it. It’s just from something Miss Thompson always reads online.” She slightly scratches her cheek as she sinks her head down.

Alex giggles then extends the teddy bear towards Kasumi.

“Here…you won this after all. I want you to have it.” He says with a vibrant heart-warming smile while hugging his cat.

Meanwhile, outside the arcade…

“Grrrrrr…!” Kagami grumbles in frustration.

She’s squatting to bring the coin slot of one of the arcade game machines outside the arcade to her eye level. This particular machine displays a pair of sunglasses and a mustache on the screen with big beefy arms protruding on either side.

She inserts the coin one more time, but it slides out of the coin reject slot instead.

She picks it up and inserts it again. Once more, it ejects out of the same slot as earlier.

She takes it one more time and jams it into the slot.

It stays inside for a while. Seeing as the coin no longer ejects out of the reject slot, Kagami smiles in glee.

All of a sudden, the coin rolls out the same slot it always has.

Kagami grinds her teeth in anger.

She hastily stands up, clenches her fist tight, and draws her arm back.

She winds up a punch which she relentlessly sends flying towards the machine’s screen as it seems to tremble in fear.

However, before her punch makes contact, a small patch of Henrietta’s Absolute Territory - about a three-inch square, catches it.

It immediately breaks upon impact of Kagami’s punch. However, that is enough to divert some of its force.

“There’s no reason to cause any damage to public property if you can’t get your way.” Henrietta reprimands her.

Kagami quickly turns around with a huff. She could have sworn that the arcade machine suddenly breathes a sigh of relief.

“So…did you find them?” Kagami asks offhandedly.

“Not yet. I’m trying to contact patrol to see if they have a visual on them…” Henrietta continues to give a rundown on what to do next.

While she talks, Kanade’s attention is stolen by something.

A woman with hair that’s as red as hers is walking along the street. As though time has slowed down, Kanade stands in shock; like she has seen a ghost.

She knows who this person is. She recognizes that face. It is the face that she thought she’ll never see again. It’s the face of the person everyone thought to be dead.

“Tsubaki sis…” She whispers to herself.

Without paying her any mind, the woman turns towards an alleyway and keeps on walking. With the rest of them preoccupied, Kanade quickly gives chase to the person she thinks is her sister.

“Tsubaki sis!!” She calls out one more time as she follows her down the same alley.

Part 6

Rapid footsteps and heavy breathing echo through the cramp passages of the alleys.

Kanade follows the sound of the footsteps ahead of her in search for the person she has been looking for, the person she tirelessly believes to be alive despite what everyone says.

“Tsubaki sis!!!” She screams between her hoarse breaths as she continues to run the progressively dimming alleyway.

Small puddles splash under her feet and her mad dash topples over a few boxes and trash cans that she passes by.

She continues forward to the ever-growing darkness. Suddenly, a dagger zips towards her, like a bullet with its tip aimed between her eyes.

Kanade quickly shifts her weight to the right and sees the side of the blade in quick detail.

The metal dagger darts right pass her and sticks to a wall.

The sudden turn causes Kanade to lose balance. She stumbles and falls on a pile of black garbage bags.

She groans in pain as she slowly stands herself up.

However, a sword is suddenly pointed towards her throat which causes her to stop.

She opens her eyes and looks up towards the person holding it.

“What are you doing here?” A robotic synthesized voice asks the figure in red before her.

“I…was looking for someone. Y-you wouldn’t believe me if I tell you, anyway.” Kanade looks away dismayed.

This figure in red who the military calls Blood Blade recognizes this girl before it.

Upon realization, it points the blade away and turns its back on Kanade.

“You…you’re from that school.  You were the only one who was able to strike a blow on me.” Blood Blade commends her in a cold mechanical voice.

“And you must be the guy everyone is after.” Kanade acknowledges the compliment as she stands up. “Look, I don’t have time for this, but if I don’t hurry—“

“You’re just like the headmistress; just like her in so many ways. If you’re not careful, you’ll end up no different than what she has become.” Blood Blade immediately interrupts as Kanade stops on her tracks. “I suggest you take my advice: stop chasing ghosts. Just accept the fact like everybody else. Tsubaki Ishihara is dead.”

Kanade clenches her fist in rage. She recalls the fire that has consumed her home. Her parents have fled and will never return. Being told that the only remnant of her family is gone without any form of proof is unacceptable to her.

She bites her teeth down as her arms start to tremble.

“SHUT UP!!!” She screams as she vigorously turns around.

Circuitbreaker emerges from behind her, and sends a jab towards Blood Blade.

Unfazed, it extends an arm and catches the attack with its bare hand.

Like an unstoppable force colliding with an immovable object, a trembling shockwave shoots around Kanade and Blood Blade.

Once the tremor settles, Circuitbreaker fades away, leaving behind Kanade who is breathing much deeper than before.

“I never thought that you would be this strong. As expected of the younger sister of who was once AEGIS’ strongest.” Blood Blade compliments her.

Kanade quickly shakes her head. Her piercing rage still shoots from her eyes as she glares at the cloaked figure before her.

“I don’t want to hear that from you. I’m just a shadow of Tsubaki sis. I’m…I’m nowhere as strong as her. We’re just leagues apart.”

An audibly-distorted chuckle echoes through Blood Blade’s helmet.

“Tell you what…I will make you a deal. What if I told you that I can make sure that you will see your sister again? You just have to do one simple thing for me.”

Her eyes widen in surprise. After years of being alone, she will finally be reunited with her dear sister.

Kanade shakes the thought off her head and clears her mind.*

“No…you’re bluffing.”

“Are you willing to take that risk? You have spent years getting stronger to the day that you’ll be able to look your sister in the eye. Despite what everybody said, you refuse to believe that she is dead. Do you really want to throw away the chance that you’ll never know you will see again?”

Silence falls on the two.

A gust of wind bellows as it flutters Blood Blade’s long crimson cape.

A shadow covers Kanade’s eyes as she bows her head down in thought.

“Even so…” Kanade expresses her doubts.

“My ability is Matter Manipulation. I can create, destroy, and change any form of matter as I see fit. Fulfilling your request will be as simple as waving a finger.”

Kanade thinks it over one more time for a few seconds.

“…What do you want?”

“All I ask is one simple thing: to prevent the power of the strongest Alter from falling to the wrong hands before it realizes its true potential. I want you to kill the one you call…Katsuo Kiyabu.”

“!!” Kanade gulps in surprise.

Her thoughts swirl and jumble up inside her head. Her mind and heart are in disarray.

This person, if it even is a person, is saying that it can do the impossible…and all it would take is the life of one person; a person who aggravates her nerves, and yet, also…

“And you will let me see my sister again, right?” Kanade asks for reassurance.

“You have my word, in honor as a knight.”

A gust of wind rushes within the alleyways. Leaves and paper toss and turn within the cramp space.

Kanade covers her face and shuts her eyes with her forearms to protect herself from the tremendous gale.

“You have 48 hours to uphold your end of the bargain. Only then will you see Tsubaki Ishihara again. I’ll be watching you.” The electric voice echoes through the howling wind.

As soon as the blustering wind subsides, she opens her eyes to find that Blood Blade has vanished. Kanade stands on the spot baffled by the encounter. An unreasonably heavy task is entrusted upon her.

Will she really go through these lengths to see her sister again? Will this person be true to its word? Can she shoulder the guilt once the deed is done?

These thoughts fill her mind as she weighs and considers her options.

Suddenly, her train of thought is interrupted by rapid footsteps coming from behind her.

Henrietta, Kagami, and Natalia come around a corner and see her staring blankly into space.

“There you are!” Henrietta says as she catches her breath.

Startled, Kanade turns around to see her.

“Oh! S-sorry. I guess I kinda bailed on you guys back there.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’m just glad you’re safe.” Natalia gives a smile as she leans on the nearby wall.

She promptly joins the group and they all walk out of the dark alley.

Kanade turns her head to look over her shoulder. She gazes at where she just had her encounter with the mysterious figure in red. Her mind is confused at the moment; not even sure if the ordeal she has had was even real.

As the group makes their way back to the road, Henrietta has gotten in contact with mission control.

“Yes…understood…we have regrouped. Proceeding to point Charlie 81.” Henrietta folds her phone shut and turns to the rest of the group. “They’re heading to a park somewhere by the cliff side. It’s 10 minutes from here and they have already taken a bus 8 minutes and 49 seconds ago.”

The four girls stand on the sidewalk wondering their next move.

“The next bus won’t arrive until 15 minutes. There’s no way we’ll catch up on foot before they presumably move to another location.” Natalia brings up.

Suddenly, a roaring engine announces its presence from a block away.

A military jeep drifts a corner and speeds down the road.

Luckily, no other vehicles are present or any pedestrians crazy enough to even try crossing the road at the moment.

The jeep stops in front of the two girls as the tires screech to a halt.

On board are an arcade machine, and a vending machine that is behind the wheel.

“No time to explain, get in!” The vending machine beacons.

The four girls give deadpan stares as they stand petrified in complete and total confusion.

Part 7

The sun’s light is dampened by the gathering clouds overhead. Warm breeze envelopes the air in the hour shortly after noon.

In a park by a cliff side that gives a view of the entire city, Alex and Kasumi are all alone. At least…they believe they are.

Among the trees that surround the paved overlook, Henrietta and Natalia are watching over the apparent couple through a set of binoculars. Kagami and Kanade are on standby and hiding among the shrubbery.

Kagami quickly notices that Kanade’s thoughts are elsewhere.

“Hey, are you feeling alright?” She asks with a whisper to snap Kanade out of it.

“Huh? Yeah…”

“You don’t look so hot. What happened to you in that alley?”

“That’s none of your concern. Why are you being so comfortable all of the sudden, anyway?”

“I’m just looking out for you, is all. You can interpret it any way you want.”

Upon realizing her good intentions, Kanade slowly bows her head.

“Th…thanks…” She says under her breath.

The girls are hiding a short distance from Alex and Kasumi; enough to get an earshot of whatever they could be talking about.

“I’m grateful that I was able to spend this day with you.” Alex says with a smile.

He clutches on the stuffed kitten that he got from the arcade.

However, a fleeting thought troubles Kasumi.

“Hey…Alex. You said that you asked for this day just to get out to know me more, right? I was thinking that maybe you’d be asking me a lot of things while we are together.”

Alex closes his eyes with a smile and leans on the railing. He looks across the horizon and over the tall buildings over the distance.

“Well that’s not entirely true. I mean I can know you more by just being with you. And besides, that’s not the only reason I asked you to go out with me. To tell you the truth, I was actually being a bit jealous.”

A mixture of confusion and surprise reflect on Kasumi’s face.

“Alex…”

“Whenever I see you having fun with the others, I can’t help but feel this dreary sensation. A part of me wants to reach out; scream that I want to be a part of that. I’ve shut people out of my life for too long, all because I want to see my father again. And when Kanade did to me what I’ve been doing to everyone else, I know that a part of the problem was me. I shouldn’t have approached her as Alex Kenningway. That’s not the real me, not even the slightest.” Alex bows his head in dismay as he turns to face Kasumi. “I don’t want to pretend. I don’t want to hide. I don’t…I don’t want to be alone anymore…” A bead of tear rolls down his cheek.

Kasumi quickly grabs on to his hand. His tears are suddenly splashed away.

“I don’t care…” Kasumi assures him. “I don’t care who you want to be. That doesn’t matter. If you want to be closer to me, it’s fine. Whether you’re Alexia Kingsley or Alex Kenningway, you’ll always be…you’ll always be my…”

Everyone starts to listen in more attentively.

The four girls lean forward to catch what Kasumi is about to say next.

Soldiers in camouflage gear hiding in the treetops tune their parabolic mics to her words.

Those that are commanding from mission control observe as the events unfold.

“…my…”

And with one last breath of confidence, she utters the following words…

“…my precious friend!”

The four girls slap their foreheads in disapproval.

The soldiers hiding at the treetops slap their foreheads in disapproval.

Everyone in mission control slap their foreheads in disapproval.

“Ugggh…how dense could you be.” Henrietta jeers under her breath.

“Really?! You of all people are saying that?!?!” Kanade retorts.

Alex stares at Kasumi’s face dazed.

Slowly, the corners of his lips start to curl upward.

He gives a brief snicker then follows with a joyous chuckle.

Kasumi smiles at the cheerful sight of a carefree girl (who is currently pretending to be a boy) enjoying the company of a boy (who is currently pretending to be a girl).

“I suppose that’s just what Kanade likes about you…” Alex says under his breath.

A violent surge of electricity runs through the flustered Kanade.

“Hey! Who told you to say that to the damned idiot?!”

Henrietta can’t help but put on a faint and subtle smile on her usually cold and stern face.

Kanade has come a long way from being the ill-tempered troublemaker that she’s once was. Henrietta seeing her being more honest with her feelings - although a little - is enough to celebrate about.

However, the celebration is abruptly interrupted.

A faint glint of light is seen from the nearby cliff side a few hundred meters away which catches Henrietta’s attention.

Part 8

A man dressed in rags is lying on his stomach among the tall shrubbery. In his hand is the grip to a long and powerful rifle that has a bipod supporting the other end.

He glares through the glass scope that enlarges the image drastically.

“Target: 370 meters. Wind speed and humidity: optimal. Are you sure this is the target?” The sniper reports in as he aims the rifle’s sights at Kasumi’s face.

“Positive. Facial match is at 90.32%. Way too high to be a coincidence.”

“Copy that. I got a clear shot. I’ll take it on your mark.”

Part 9

A faint muffled explosion resonates within the valley.

Alex and Kasumi flinch as they turn to the possible source.

A lead bullet ricochets off a wall of light that has appeared out of nowhere behind Alex and embeds itself on the concrete pavement. The high-pitched ping created by the ricochet snatches both of their attention.

As soon as the Absolute Territory disappears, Alex’s eyes catch the same faint glint coming from the distant cliff side.

“Katsuo, get down!!” Alex tackles Kasumi to the ground which knocks the wig off her head.

Another shot rings within the ravine. This time, the bullet punches a hole into the pavement just inches from Katsuo’s head.

Henrietta quickly rushes in with the others right behind her.

She deploys an Absolute Territory to protect him from any shots that could come from the sniper. However, Alex’s eyes catch another glint of light, this time, coming from the opposite side of the valley.

“There’s more than one!!” Alex shouts as he tries to disrupt the other sniper’s line of sight.

Another gunshot rings from the cliffs.

Kagami quickly dashes in and swats the bullet away.

“I see him!” Kanade shouts out as she faces where the sniper shot came from.

She tries to shoot an electric bolt across the great distance. Before it even comes close to a quarter away from where she stands, the bolt flimsily sparks and fizzles in the air. Dismayed, Kanade clicks her tongue and tries again.

Natalia helps Katsuo up and props his arm over her shoulders. Kagami covers the other side as they run towards the trees for cover.

Once Katsuo is brought to cover, Henrietta drops her Absolute Territory and helps Alex up.

“Miss Ishihara, let’s go!!” She calls for Kanade as they run back to cover.

However, Kanade did not comply.

Instead, she repeatedly tries and tries again to shoot down the sniper.

Every bolt of electricity she shoots out is not enough to reach where they are hiding. Not even close.

Every shot she takes she screams louder and louder in frustration and anger.

She gives one more blast, bigger than the rest, even bigger than what she’s ever done.

Yet it didn’t even manage to get across the ravine.

Exhausted, Kanade drops her shoulders and hangs her head.

Her knees are bent in a way that looks like they’re about to buckle under her own weight.

“Miss Ishihara!!” Henrietta calls out to Kanade one more time.

Kanade dashes to the grove of trees for cover along with the others.

As soon as they get to safety, Henrietta calls for mission control using her phone.

“We’ve been compromised! Requesting immediate evac now!!”

A response comes from the other line. However, it’s not what she has wished for.

“What do you mean you can’t provide extraction right now?! Under who’s orders?!”

Whatever response she has received makes Henrietta click her tongue in frustration.

Henrietta immediately folds her phone shut after hearing this frustrating news.

“Would be nice if those weirdos on the jeep would pick us up!” Natalia off-handedly comments.

“Are they trying to flush us out?!” Katsuo asks as he ducks to avoid another ricocheting bullet.

A regular pace of shots hit the barks of the trees.

Since there are two snipers on either side of the cliff, they can take turns while the other reloads.

“Any ideas, Disciplinary Chair?” Kanade asks as she peers around one of the trees to keep tabs one sniper.

Henrietta needs an idea…anything…

She flicks a hand to signal the others and run away from the overlook.

They head deeper into the grove surrounding the area, but then the soldiers that guarding the area for them suddenly show themselves.

“Thank goodness you’re here. Look, we got two snipers on either side we need to—“ Henrietta tells them the situation.

However, the response they receive is not expected. With a metallic rattle, the soldiers point their guns towards them.

“We have orders to keep you within this area. Until command says so, we can’t allow you to leave.”

“Why you son of a—!!“ Kagami almost swears, but is stopped by Katsuo before she can do anything brash.

He walks forward slowly and approaches the soldiers.

“Katsuo, wait!!” Kanade tries to stop him.

“It’s okay. If they’re here to kill me, they would have already taken the shot.” He says as he looks at the soldiers in the eye. “Did they say for why we’re being kept here? Or are you in no liberty to do so?”

Before they can get an answer from them, a deep rumbling noise accompanied by a swirl of violent wind comes from above. A harsh howl of metal spinning blades rustles the trees which accompany the roar of a mighty engine.

Everyone shield their faces to protect themselves from the gale as they fight against the winds’ current.

A rope ladder unfurls as it falls off the side door of a helicopter hovering above them and in front of Katsuo’s group.

“Everyone climb on board!” A soldier dressed up as a vending machine calls from above.

“This is insubordination, soldier!!”

“No…I just take orders from someone who’s higher than where you take yours! She’s telling you to stand down!!”

The soldier clicks its tongue in defeat. It knows exactly who is being talked about.

“Everyone fall back!! Proceed to the rest of the rest of the plan!” And with those words, every opposing soldier withdraws.

Meanwhile, a rapid high-pitched beeping and a flashing red light gets the attention of the pilot. The helicopter’s sensors are picking up a lock-on signal coming from one of the cliff sides.

“THEY’VE GOT A STINGER!!!!!” The pilot wearing an arcade machine costume shouts.

Panic starts to reflect on everyone’s faces. Natalia and Kagami quickly device a plan.

“Everybody hang on!!” They both instruct as they hold out their hands.

Katsuo and Kanade hang on to Natalia, while Alex and Henrietta hang on to Kagami.

With only one gigantic leap and everyone in tow, they jump a staggering height high into the air. On the way up, everyone not used to the sudden acceleration screams at the top of their lungs.

Luckily, as those possessing Alters, they’re extraordinary strength allows them to maintain their grip all throughout the trip.

The soldier by the door quickly leaps to the side and out of the way.

They all arrive rolling into the helicopter tossing and turning to burn off the excess momentum.

“FLY!!!” The soldier dressed as a vending machine shouts as he hits the helicopter’s metal wall.

The helicopter tilts, turns, and flies away. The sharp turn causes the students to be tossed around like clothes in a dryer.

Katsuo rocks and slides towards the door which is still left open.

He quickly scrambles his hands to grab on to something, but his palms are grasping nothing but smooth steel.

He is sent hurdling out at the door with a scream.

“KATSUO!!!” Alex shouts at the top of his lungs.

Katsuo hangs on to the rope ladder dangling from the side of the helicopter using his left hand. The sudden stop causes him to swing wildly.

Another gunshot is heard, this time, much more faintly.

The bullet gives a high-pitched ping, then ricochets off the side. It cuts the ropes that anchor the ladder to the helicopter.

Katsuo continues to fall and drift away from the speeding helicopter as he holds out his right hand to grab onto something…anything…

Then, a hand reaches out towards him and grabs a hold by the forearm. Kanade hangs on to him before he plummets thousands of meters to the ground.

She anchors herself to the helicopter by keeping her feet near the edge of the door and her other hand on a handle above it.

“Don’t you die on me, you damned idiot!!” Kanade grits her teeth as she maintains a hold of him.

Katsuo’s weight is dangling off from the side of the helicopter. It is forcing Kanade to bend her body forward; placing her center of gravity dangerously over the edge of the door.

Off in the distance, the sound of what seems like a bottle rocket being ignited resounds from the cliffs. Kanade turns her head to where it has come from to see a rocket flying into the air.

“Bogey on our six!!” The arcade machine reports in.

“Hey, Disciplinary Chair! We could use a help here!!” Kanade shouts as she staggers to pull Katsuo back in.

Henrietta shuffles to her feet. She grabs a hold of Kanade’s waist and pulls them both into the helicopter.

The whole vehicle tilts to the other side in its attempt to evade the rocket.

The problem is that the Stinger rocket follows every single turn they make through the air. Not to mention, the rocket is accelerating towards them at a breakneck pace.

The vigorous tilting combined with Henrietta’s pull knocks Katsuo into the helicopter and his back slamming to a wall. The impact causes him to wince in pain. Then as he opens his eyes, what he sees is far worse.

The first thing Katsuo sees  is Kanade screaming and hurdling towards him head first.

A terrified look is plastered on his face. There is simply no time at all to react.

Kanade holds a hand out by Katsuo’s head, but it did not help in the slightest.

Kanade’s face collides with his and both of their lips press together accidentally.

Their eyes go blank in mortification.

The two appear like Kanade has pinned Katsuo by a wall and takes the opportunity to steal a kiss from him.

Natalia, Kagami, and the vending machine soldier watch in complete surprise.

Kanade pushes herself off of him and lands on her rear. Her face turns beat red and sparks run like crazy, more erratic than usual, across her body. Complete gibberish mumbles out of her lips.

Katsuo, on the other hand, slowly slides down the wall as his face is frozen stiff to the same goofy surprised look he has had a few moments ago.

While all these craziness is going on, Henrietta quickly peers out of the still open door and sees the rocket. It is leaving a stream of smoke as it darts into the air and, like a predator hounding its prey, turns sharply towards the helicopter.

Henrietta quickly extends her arm and deploys an Absolute Territory behind the helicopter. The missile collides with the wall of light and explodes on impact; giving off a thundering plume of heat and pressure at every direction.

And so, the helicopter flies away with a bellowing vibrant fireball behind it.

Henrietta turns back to the inside of the helicopter only to see the aftermath of the craziness that happened a few moments ago.

“…what happened here?” She asks out of curiosity.

Kagami’s mouth is left agape as though her soul is about to escape from the stress of seeing a kiss, although accidental, being stolen from “her” Katsuo.

“You…don’t wanna know.” Natalia says in reply.

Part 10

“Where in blazes did that chopper come from?!” A furious mission commander asks its staff.

“We didn’t deploy one for this missio—“

“Well it has to come from somewhere. Can you at least tell me who those two out of line soldiers are so I can court martial them now!!”

“Working on it.”

Everyone in the cramp space filled with computers and radio transmitters scramble to look for answers.

“All comms are down. We can’t get in contact with ground troops.” One of the analysts reports.

“Someone’s been messing with our operation and I want to know who is responsible!!”

“Chief…” Another analyst calls out with a cellphone on hand.

“What?!”

“It’s for you.” The analyst hands a cellphone to its superior.

It quickly snatches the phone and places it by the ear.

“Who’s this?!”

“Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk…” The sound of someone clicking their tongue repeatedly comes out of the earpiece. “Did you really feel that you’re in control?” A cold voice of a conniving temptress beacons.

“You…”

“I really don’t appreciate you using my students as bait. Not to mention you doing your own thing? They’re just kids.”

“They’re weapons.”

“THEY’RE PEOPLE!!!” Miss Violet angrily hisses.

The commanding officer takes a moment to breathe.

“Even so, the decision was not mine to make. We need any lead that we can to apprehend callsign Blood Blade.”

“Do you expect me to believe that the higher ups suggested this charade? Those fools can’t even make their own decisions. Every choice they have ever made is based on ones and zeroes.”

“Nevertheless, the truth still remains. Someone out there is posing a serious threat, and it’s our duty to protect this country from such a catastrophe. Your school is under military control, and by extension, your students are under the military’s disposal. We will still have a say on what happens to those kids.”

“Wrong. AEGIS is a research institution financed by the military. All you do is pay for our research. How we use it to develop our students’ abilities is not your concern.”

“Well why don’t we cut all funding to your school then?” The commanding officer attempts to provoke.

However, it proves ineffective as a maniacal chuckle can immediately be heard.

“Fine. I’m sure the so-called ‘weapons’ you’ve been coveting are that meaningless to you, anyway.”

Blaring alarms start to resound within the small room.

“UNIDENTIFIED AIRCRAFT APPROACHING FAST!!!”

“Automated anti-air sentries are not responding!”

“Comms are still out of action; we can’t get in contact with anyone!!”

“Target is at 500 meters and closing in!!”

Reports are coming in from all around. The already chaotic command center is thrown into a deeper state of disarray.

“What are you doing?!” The officer demands.

“Me? I’m not doing anything. I believe this is what is known as divine retribution. I can stop the unmanned drone for you, but not for free. Now…will you cooperate and play fairly next time?”

The officer stands in the middle of the frenzied command center paralyzed in fear.

“Why you…!”

“I’m not hearing an answer.”

“30 seconds to impact!!” An analyst reports.

The commanding officer gives a frightful nod as its lips tremble.

“I can’t see you, so you have to tell me. Don’t just nod.”

The officer is startled by the oddly accurate statement. However, there is no time to question it now.

“Y…y-yes…” The commanding officer utters in a shaky voice.

Suddenly, the alarms are silenced. The blips on the radar screens are immediately cast away.

 “I’m glad we’ve reached an agreement.” Miss Violet commends the officer.

“We’ve lost the bogey!”

“I think we’ve stopped the attack.”

“Checking for further signs of the attack.”

The anarchy starts to settle and everybody calms back down.

Little did the officer know that everyone in the control room, including itself, is being monitored by the security cameras inside which Miss Violet is able to tap into.

The dark office she is dwelling in is only illuminated by the monitor she is glaring at. The most that could be seen of her face from that light are her lips which curl into a devilish grin.

“Consider this is your first and final warning. I’ve been in the military even before you were a lowly cadet. Pull antics like that again, and you will see hell freeze over as I raise it to the earth.”

And so, Miss Violet terminates the call. And on that exact moment…

“Comms are back online! Incoming transmission from ground troops.” An analyst patches a radio call through.

“Control, we’ve found one of the enemy snipers.”

The commanding officer quickly grabs a headpiece.

“Good. Bring ‘em in alive.”

There is a brief pause as the scouts grumble in dismay.

“I’m sorry Control, but the target is already neutralized. It’s foaming from the mouth, possibly cyanide poisoning.”

The commanding officer clicks its tongue in defeat and slams a fist on a table.

(“Dammit!! That damned woman played us like a fiddle! Just who does she think she is?!”)

The commanding officer calms its mind for a bit. A string of inconveniences has been occurring the whole day and leaving empty handed is not an option.

“Recover the body and bring it for extraction. We’ll see what we can get out of it.”

“Copy that, Control.”

Part 11

By the time everyone gets back to AEGIS, the sun is already beginning its descent. A tinge of orange starts to gloss the sky.

In the Boy’s Dormitory, Alexia sets the plush lavender cat on her nightstand. She sits the fuzzy feline upright right beside a picture frame.

Alexia turns her sight towards it and smiles.

It’s the only reminder she has of the life she used to live. It is also the only picture she has of her dear father. It’s a picture of the renowned Professor Harvey Kingsley holding a baby Alexia in his arms.

A smile of genuine happiness is evident on the gleeful father’s face.

“Well dad…I finally made a friend. This time, I won’t wall them out anymore…” Alexia whispers to the picture. “I promise…I promise I won’t waste this happiness that I have right now. I wish I could introduce them to you.”

A tear leaks a corner of her eye.

“I miss you, dad. But I understand…” Alexia says as she wipes her tears. “I understand that you’d want me to be strong. I hope I’d get to make you proud one day…wherever you are.”

Later that night while Katsuo sleeps, he tosses and turns as cold sweat drips his body. A nightmare more vivid than before haunts him.

(“No…stop!!”) A voice calls out to him.

He remembers being consumed by blind hatred. What follows next is driving his golden sword, the very symbol of the hero’s legacy, through the body of a person; killing him.

(“So, the legends are real. But how does it feel to have blood on your hands? You wouldn’t even be able to do this if not for my work. You’re no hero…”)

Katsuo gives a short scream as he wakes up from the nightmare. He sits himself up and grabs on to his hair. He takes deep loud breaths to calm himself down from the frightening dream.

Luckily, he wasn’t able to wake anyone up. All of the girls are sound asleep like nothing has happened.

“Why…” Katsuo whispers. “…why am I getting these dreams now?”

The face in his dreams has become more identifiable. It’s someone Katsuo has never seen before, but someone else has.

It’s someone Alexia knows…

0