Volume FINAL: Epilogue
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 1

Hours have passed since the attack, and the rest of the day is spent with the military performing repairs and maintenance on the destruction caused by the enemy siege. More of the soldiers that have been ordered to retreat are now returning and helping with the reconstruction.

Virgo is coordinating with other staff and some student volunteers to tend to the wounded. Alexia, on the other hand, has been long back in proper health and is helping along with the treatment.

Kagami has been healed enough that she no longer needs the crutch to walk again.

Another of the tended patients is Toshiko, who is sitting back on her own electric wheelchair and gazing at the orange sunset.

And that’s when someone approaches her all of the sudden.

“Uhmm…I heard that you help Alex and Natalia back then.” Katsuo rubs the back of his neck while turning his gaze away.

“Don’t get the wrong idea. I didn’t do it for your sake; if that’s what you’re wondering.” Toshiko responds still refusing to make eye contact with him.

“Still, you have my thanks. I don’t know what would happen if you didn’t come around.”

Toshiko bows her head and gives a smile.

“You care for other people that much, huh? Now that the circumstances have changed, I am no longer after your life. But rather, I’ll give you my respect.”

Katsuo gives a smile and a nod.

“However,” Toshiko adds while turning a gaze to the side to see Katsuo; both of her eyes glow an eerie amber. “Make no mistake. This doesn’t mean that I’m now one of your harlots.”

Toshiko’s remark leaves Katsuo confused. However, after a short while, he just accepts it with an affirming nod.

Part 2

Meanwhile at the radar control tower, platoons of soldiers are having problems dragging the materials, let alone lifting them.

 “Come on lads; put your legs into it!” Natalia barks the orders as she carries cargo along on her shoulders needed for the repairs.

“This can’t…be fair…”

“Yeah, none of us can lift this thing, let alone together.”

“Oh come on, it’s not so hard. I’ll help you guys later when I get back.” Natalia says as she walks off whistling to a familiar tune.

Natalia jogs away and joins the construction crew repairing the main radar tower with the enormous beam of steel she is carrying on her shoulders.

The steel beam itself is more than a few hundred times her size, spanning several meters and is seen to be more than a few tons in weight. However, with the way Natalia carries it, it appears as though it is but a mere few kilograms.

After leaving them alone, every soldier in Natalia’s command collapses to the ground, out of breath.

“Alter’s are…scary…” One of the soldiers comments.

Nyet, just this one…” Taurus says exhausted despite his towering physique.

Part 3

Over at Miss Violet’s dimly lit office, she is in a call with all of the shady generals she has been in contact with; the same people who ordered the abandonment of the school.

“So, why the sudden change of heart?” She asks bluntly with arms crossed in distain.

“We figured that based on the results you have shown, human potential does have a change to evolve and adapt.”

“Yes, it is far too hasty to base your worth due to the chaos risk that the leak has imposed.”

“Does this mean that you’re taking that down?” Miss Violet asks with a stern emphasis.

“Eventually, yes; but the changes will take time. It has been integrated far too well into our systems. You should know about that well enough.”

“Yes.” Miss Violet tightens a grip of one hand on her arm. “I’m aware.”

Part 4

Later that night, Katsuo walks along the corridor with only just a sling, and gauze taped to his cheek.

He’s grown accustomed to living in the girls’ dormitories, albeit temporarily, that it no longer fazes him - at least, not as much as before.

However, in the room across the hall from his, a crowd composed of the nearby occupants gathers around the open door.

“Hey, do you have a roommate yet?” “I can be your roommate!” “Nuh uh, I should be his roommate!”

And of course, the one in the middle of this rabid crowd is…

“Calm down, everyone. I do appreciate the warm welcome, but please at least give me some time to unpack.” Alex Kenningway tries to calm the crowd down.

Katsuo throws a gaze at him and Alex immediately responds with his.

(“Help me…”) He mouths for a call for help.

Katsuo breathes a sigh. And then…

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!! Ahhhhh, someone, help me up!” Katsuo feigns pained screams to try and get the attention of the crowd.

More than half of them take notice and run off to help him.

“Oh no, Kiyabu is in pain!” “Where does it hurt?” “Here, I’ll help you up.” “L-let me nurse you back to health.”

Katsuo gives locks eyes with Alex and gives a wink at him.

He responds with a nod to thank him for the assist.

Part 5

That night, news of the attack on “a certain military base” is on every media outlet imaginable. The fact that it followed a major leak has led many to believe that it has made it vulnerable to the attack.

“However, numerous reports from the military say that things are indeed under control and being managed. The spokesperson from the military still refuses to comment on the data leak, along with any links to the concluded attack.” One newscaster reports.

On the roof of one of the tall buildings, a hooded figure in tattered rags looks over the news displayed in every large screen imaginable. The figure crouches down while surveying the streets below.

“One of your apprentices is under their care, correct?” A similar hooded figure asks it.

“Yes, but I wouldn’t worry about him. He’s stronger than he looks, in more ways than one.”

“The others are ready. We’ll start our patrol under your command.”

The hooded figure gives a nod then slowly stands up.

The two of them turn around and sees numerous hooded figures similar to them. Each of them is perched in every building and has a golden sword on hand.

Part 6

The following morning, classes are back in session with the campus mostly undergoing only minor repairs left.

“I wish they’re this quick when repairing everything else.” Katsuo comments to the side.

Along the way on the school corridor, Henrietta is escorting him to get to class.

“It wasn’t so much a priority before, but granted the state of the damage, it’ll be a while until any other reconstruction efforts will be completed. How are your injuries?” She asks him concerned.

“Still getting these headaches recently. But other than that, nothing out of the ordinary.”

“I see. Be sure to have that checked. Don’t push yourself too hard since you’re still recovering. I’ll accompany you to the infirmary after class.”

All of a sudden Katsuo stops in place and bows his head enough to shade his eyes.

“Miss Thompson, I…I just want to say, thank you. You’ve done a lot looking after me and…I want to be able to fight by your side, by everyone’s side. ” Katsuo asks while rubbing his arm with one hand.

Henrietta stops in her tracks too for a brief moment. She breathes a sigh and turns around to walk towards him while pushing on the rim of her glasses.

“Think nothing of it. That’s why I want to protect you, it’s more than because it’s my duty or it’s because I have to, but simply because…”

Once Henrietta reaches him, she sets her right hand over Katsuo’s hand which is rubbing his arm, pressing their bodies together.

She uses her other hand to prop his chin up for them to look into each other’s eyes.

“…you’re special to me.” Henrietta finishes her sentence.

Caught off guard by her sudden action, Katsuo is stunned in place as they continue to stare at each other.

However…

“Darling~! It’s patrol day today, and I was wondering if—“ Shakaku is about to ask her with a gleeful twirl.

But then, she sees the two of them appearing as though they are way too intimately close.

The bright and cheerful demeanor suddenly vanishes, then her eyes turn dull.

“Unforgiveable…you damn dirty troglodyte…I WON’T FORGIVE YOU!!!!!”

Her sudden shouts get their attention.

Shakaku forms a raging fireball in her hand then shoots it into a long stream like the breath of a dragon.

Henrietta quickly goes in front of Katsuo and calls forth Safeguard to project an Absolute Territory to protect him.

Katsuo can do nothing but hide behind Henrietta’s shield, but then…

“Pssst…” Someone calls out to Katsuo from a corner behind him.

He turns around and sees Kanade beaconing him to follow her.

Katsuo quickly scampers away and meets up with her. Upon arrival, Kanade quickly grabs him by the hand and dashes away with him in tow.

And so, Katsuo and Kanade run along the corridors hand-in-hand with exhilarated looks on their faces.

“You always seem to find yourself in a lot of trouble, huh?” Kanade asks between breaths as she turns her head to face back at him.

“What can I say; trouble has an unusual way of finding me.” Katsuo jokingly answers with a grin.

 Kanade responds with a chuckle and faces forward again.

“Haha…you damned idiot.”

Part 7

At noon that same day, Katsuo and Alex are having lunch at the school rooftop. While they gaze at the blue skies overhead, they’re having a close conversation along the way.

“That was some scene you’ve made back at the dorms last night.” Katsuo comments on the situation he helped him out in.

“Yeah, thanks again for that. They had me move to the female dorms after you guys found out about me. There’s just no point in separating myself from the other students anyway.”

“So does that mean you’ll stop being Alex?”

He responds with a chuckle.

“I don’t think anyone else needs to meet Alexia; at least not yet. Besides…”Alex switches topics all of the sudden as he puts his empty lunch box on his lap. “…if we’re talking about scenes we caused, we should talk about the one that you made earlier, the one involving Miss Thompson.”

Katsuo stops in place. He remembers the reason why she protects him in the first place.

(“…not just because it’s my duty or it’s because I have to, but simply because…you’re special to me.”)

“I don’t know how to explain it myself. She told me she wanted to be like her hero, but…”

Alex breathes a deep sigh. “You still haven’t told her, have you?”

“…?” Katsuo stares puzzled.

“Look, if you still haven’t done so, then it would be for the best to keep it that way. Based from what I could tell, she likes you for being Katsuo. I think that means more that you sharing identities with her greatest hero.”

And so, Katsuo can’t help but give a reassured smile.

“Thanks. That really makes me see things a lot. Come to think of it, it was foolish of me to even doubt her.”

Alex gives a light laugh which he loosely covers with his mouth. Afterwards, he sets to tidy up his lunch box and wraps it in the cloth it comes with.

“Your thanks are unnecessary. After all, I’m just teaching you what you taught me.”

“Well, I guess you’re right.” Katsuo responds as he is about to take the last bite of his lunch then packs his lunchbox up too.

And so, Alex walks off to the door that leads back inside the building.

However, a sudden memory returns to Katsuo: someone else knows his identity as the Gilded Saber.

“Hey…” He calls to Alex as he runs towards him.

“You know about it too, right? You told me my other name when you were still Deathwish.”

Alex responds with a chuckle.

“You still remember that, huh? But don’t worry; I’ll keep your secret if you keep mine…” Alex walks towards Katsuo then bends his body to whisper something to his ear. “…Gilded Saber.”

With his eyes closed and a tune in his hum, Alex nonchalantly walks towards the exit door. Before he leaves, he turns around one more time to face Katsuo.

He draws an X on his own chest with his index finger, the similar gesture he does as Deathwish.

Afterwards, Alex promptly reaches for the doorknob behind him then leaves for Katsuo with his thaoughts.

Part 8

Meanwhile in a dimly lit office, Miss Violet is in discussion with a particular student.

“So…you want to continue looking after him?” She asks with her arms crossed.

“Headmistress, I know I have failed in my duties before. But I’m asking not because I want to atone for what I did. But because…” Henrietta stops mid-sentence as she tries to find the words to express.

However, Miss Violet is ahead of her opponent just as always.

She notices Henrietta clutch her heart and her eyes wander elsewhere. Her head too is slightly turned to the side.

“Good grief. It must be fun to still be young. Very well, I know what you’re going through so I’ll consider it for now.”

A happy sparkle glimmers in her eyes amidst her cold expression.

“Thank you, headmistress. I’ll be sure to do my best!” She returns to standing straight in attention.

The familiar conniving grin is plastered on Miss Violet’s face. She swivels her chair to face the glass wall behind her. She leans back and presses her fingertips together.

“However, I would need to discuss this with the lad first. I’d need to talk to him after class.”

Part 9

“Expulsion?!” Katsuo asks in disbelief.

After class, Katsuo has been asked to meet with the headmistress of the school. However, upon arrival, he is met with this grim news.

“Remember our deal. We just need you to stay in this school to protect you from those that tried to kill you. Now that the threat is gone, there’s no point in keeping you holed up in here against your will.” Miss Violet explains while sitting on her large swivel chair as though it was her throne.

“Against my will, huh…”

Miss Violet leans forward to her desk with the back of her hands supporting her chin.

“I know how reluctant you were in being dragged into this school, but despite what has happened for the past month, your chances of survival was best within these walls. I want you to live your life. You’re young, after all. I’ll give you a chance to do just that now that no one is after you.”

And so, Miss Violet slowly stands up with her arms folded.

“Now then, you’re free to go. But the moment that you leave this room, you are no longer a student of A.E.G.I.S.”

Katsuo bows his head down and clenches his fist.

“What I want…”

He remembers the times he has spent in this school: all the joys, the pains, the laughs, and the trials.

He turns his head with a pained expression in his face. He can’t bear to leave all of these behind, let alone the people he has fought alongside with.

“…I want to be stronger, not because I want to return the favor and protect them. They’re more than capable of doing that. I want to be strong enough so I’ll be fighting along their side from now on.”

A thin smile plasters on Miss Violet’s seductive lips.

“Well I’m sure opportunities to gain that power will open themselves elsewhere.”

Katsuo calmly shakes his head then looks at her eyes through the veil of darkness.

“No, I’m pretty sure that no other place is more than capable of teaching me what I need.”

Upon hearing his response, Miss Violet gives a chuckle.

“Well, flattery aside, I’m surprised by your conviction. For once, you’re finally taking charge of your own life for yourself.”

“Yeah. I’ve let circumstances drag me around for far too long. I want to stand on my own two feet, so I can do so beside everyone else.”

“Is it because you see yourself as a burden to them?”

He lightly shakes his head. “It’s not like that. Besides, I’m gonna have to pull my own weight sooner or later.”

And so, the familiar conniving grin fades into her seductive lips.

“Very well, I’ll honor your wishes and keep you as a student in this school.”

“…!” Katsuo gasps amazed.

For some reason, Miss Violet ends up glaring at the door behind him. I

n response to whatever that might be, she slowly reaches to the bottom of her desk.

“If you wish to build your strength, then I would be more than happy to accommodate you here. You’ll keep whatever provisions you have currently and I’ll make sure that you would get just as much assistance as any of the students here.”

“Y-you mean it?”

Miss Violet responds with a grin.

“Come now, would I lie to you? Besides…”

Miss Violet presses a button under her desk.

The latch on the door behind Katsuo undoes itself and both of the doors swing open by itself.

Five people - who happen to be leaning against these doors, tumble down on top of one another, each giving off a short startled shout.

Kanade, Henrietta, Alex, Natalia, and Kagami fall to the ground after the door that they have been leaning on opens all of the sudden.

Katsuo turns around, startled by the scream they have given off, as a result and sees them getting off the ground.

“…I don’t think your friends would be too glad to hear you leave so soon.” Miss Violet continues.

Kanade groans as she stands herself up while scratching the back of her head.

“Geez, I told you to move. I can’t hear a thing with you in the way.” She barks while recovering from the fall.

“As I’ve said, no matter how much you force it, you won’t be able to. Even I can’t find a spot to listen on.” Henrietta retorts back at her while wiping off the dust from her glasses.

Natalia dusts off her uniform, gives a cough to clear her throat, and then steps forward.

She looks at Katsuo with a worried look in her face, a sentiment which all of them seem to share.

“Miss Thompson told us that you might be leaving now that there’s no need to keep you here.” Natalia says with an air of concern in her voice.

“It’ll be sad to see you go.” Alex closes his eyes with his head turned away while adjusting his necktie.

“Tch. Well, I hate to admit it, but I really am gonna miss you.” Kagami clicks her tongue with her hands in her pockets.

“You’ve grown a lot since coming here. I never doubted your strengths. Besides…” Henrietta gives Kanade a light shove forward. “…someone else will hate to see you leave the most.”

Kanade stumbles towards Katsuo then stops just a few steps away from him. After regaining her footing, she rubs her neck and looks up and away while standing practically inches from Katsuo.

“Hey…for a damned idiot, you’ve sure helped out a lot here. What you’ve done means a lot, not just for me…but for everyone. I guess what I’m trying to say is…”

Kanade’s face gives a sour expression of struggle. Her cheeks turn bright red as random sparks whizz across her hair in embarrassment.

“…I…I’m grateful for you…” She struggles to get the words out of her mouth.

“Kanade…Everyone…” Katsuo calls out to them struck with surprise.

They all look at Katsuo and give off smiles of sincere happiness. Katsuo places a hand on his waist and gives a happy grin.

“Thank you…everyone. I won’t be leaving your side no matter what.”

Everyone’s face lights up with glee. Even Miss Violet can’t help but smile over the cheery scene in front of her.

“Very well then,” Kanade swiftly grabs a hold of Katsuo’s right forearm. “Now that all the troubles are over, why don’t we have a whole day for ourselves? It’ll be a nice change of pace from whatever hectic problems you’ve been through.”

“Hey wai— Kanade!“ Katsuo tries to call out to her.

“Oh no, you don’t.” Henrietta tugs at Katsuo’s collar. “I wouldn’t trust you with Katsuo’s or anyone’s life. Who knows what perverted thing you might do to him? Besides, I still have a job to take care of.”

“Uhmm…Miss Thompson?”

“Well if you ask me, I think I should be the one taking care of him. I am The Academy’s Strongest, after all.” Natalia suggests as she pulls on Katsuo’s left arm.

“Not you too, Miss Lenhoff…”

“Oh please.” Kagami pulls on Katsuo’s necktie like a leash. “If we’re talking about being the strongest, then I should be the one to look after him. And I promise that I’ll never lose sight of my little plaything.” She says with a frightening smile.

Katsuo can’t give any other response but a shudder in fear.

“Hey now, you’re an even more dangerous person than what I am being left to be!!” Kanade shoots her down.

“Oh, so you finally admit it?” Henrietta retorts back while pulling on Katsuo.

“That’s not the point here!!” She snaps at her while pulling as well.

“Everyone, please. Calm down now…” Katsuo tries to quell everyone’s frenzy while being shaken up by everyone pulling on him.

“If I may, I think the best course of action here is to leave Mister Kiyabu to my care.” Alex grabs a hold of Katsuo’s right hand with both of his. “We are both guys, after all.”

Everyone scoffs in disbelief.

“You have some nerve using that excuse of all things!” Natalia tugs away from Alex’s grasp.

“Yes, do you think that would work after us knowing the truth about you?” Henrietta continues to pull on the collar of Katsuo’s shirt.

As they argue, Miss Violet does nothing but places a hand on her cheek with a smile on her face.

“My, oh my. Young love sure is a treasured thing, isn’t it?” Miss Violet says in glee.

Kanade, Henrietta, Natalia, Kagami, and Alex alternately pull on Katsuo from one side to another.

Among the frenzy, a familiar apparition materializes herself with a smug expression. Luckily, everyone is too busy fighting among each other to notice.

“Oh my! I never knew you were so popular with the ladies, My Siegfried.” Brynhildr playfully covers her mouth as though mocking a laugh.

As he continues to be shaken in every which way that they tug on him, a look of quelled-up overwhelmed look gradually fades on his face.

Until…

“GEEZ, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!” Katsuo shouts so loud that it can be heard all over the school.

“NO!!” Everyone else responds with an even louder shout that’s enough to be heard around the military base.

0