Chapter 4 – One Task, One Book
60 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Four hours have passed since then. I hate to admit that I lost the competition. In the first and third hour I collected thirty three spirits, while in the second and fourth hour, Lence collected forty seven spirits. A fourteen spirits gap.

After some negotiation, we decided to capture the last twenty spirits together as a practice of our short training, and I want to use some words that I've learned.

"Three spirits from the left," Lence told me, but I noticed it first in the corner of my eyes.

「Lacerate, Thrice」

I cast a slash, but with the additional word, the attacks strike three times. However, I can't decide where the second and third strike will land and I was lucky enough to hit all of them because the spirits are near each other.

The mantra also counts as quadruple casting, and I doubt I can do that yet so it's all on Lence's mystical energy and ability while I'm deciding the spells as a quick and accurate decision practice.

"You're good just because of me, but next time use at maximum double casting as that's your current limit if you could circulate mystical energy in the future."

Alright, I heard it already. Anyway, two on the back.

「Wind」

Lence controlled my left body, and he did a side kick and rotated my body, and used the wind force to launch the two spirits in the air.

"That was a good and fast decision to use the natural element," Lence praised me, "Now, we are ambushed."

「Flame, Whirl」

Around eight spirits are attacking me from all directions but I cast a whirlwind of flame around me, it managed to burn the spirits and canceled their ambush strategy.

"Alright, that's enough of warming up, let's beat the rest using our fist."

Not just mystical language and long range combat, but we also improved our synchronization and using it for close combat by switching our limbs and muscles at the right moment.

「Haste」

I dashed towards one of the spirits, punched them in the face, and grabbed their neck to launch them to the air.

「Stab」

And penetrated their head. Six to go.

I dashed again, grabbed the spirit by the neck with my hand. I tried to strangle them by force instead of using spells, however, it's not effective because they can only be weakened using magic.

「Split

I tore their upper part. Five to go.

"All of you better strike me at once, or you won't get the chance to hit me."

I can't see the spirit's face but they attacked me altogether. That means I taunted them. They are immature and have emotions like humans despite not being able to talk.

「Acceleration」

Unlike haste, this word allowed me to accelerate my movement until I canceled it or ran out of energy, but the speed won't go faster than haste unless I amplified it but it means triple casting which exceeds my current limit.

I grabbed one spirit by the head, and I slammed it to another spirit until it stacked five of them.

「Impale」

「Kneel」

And obliterated all of them at once and the lantern sucked them, "Now our main dish, skewers of spirits, is finished. Let's report it and have some ice cream for dessert!"

The maid came closer to me.

"Hey, you report it to your master-"

She disappeared from my sight. Lence, where is the maid?

And I got punched right in the face.

"Ow, what is that!? Are you there maid!?"

She appeared, "I'm always here, you can't even see my punch?"

Can you explain this, Lence? Weird, he's been quiet ever since we captured the last spirit.

"You don't know why I punched you?"

"I don't know!"

"You don't need to know then, treat that as my revenge."

"Okay do whatever you want," I was right that she holds a grudge against me, but I don't know what Is it exactly.

"Pfft, hahaha," There we go, Lence.

Do you know her reason? And also where did you go?

"Did you remember the fight in the forest?"

"Against Arth? Yes, I remember that, so what's your point?"

"No, before that, you fought invisible opponents, at least only you who can't see them."

I tried to recall what happened and remembered something. I punched that maid, however, she was invisible so I didn't know that it was her and also in the face. Damn it, Lence knew about this and he purposely disappeared.

"Hey you maid, what is your name?" I remembered that Arth called two names but I don't know which one is her.

"Idest Kasa."

"I know that I punched you in the forest, please will you forgive me, Idest?"

Idest seemed relieved, "Don't worry about it, that punch was my answer."

"Thanks for the punch," It seems like every woman I met since yesterday Is at least trying to kill me?

Suddenly, the room was changed to what appears as a dining room, and Arth is sitting in the most corner of this long dinner table.

"Hey, I finished your task."

"Come eat first."

Arth was eating something purplish and greenish? "No way I'm going to eat something that looks deadly weird."

"It's a potion."

Lence, should I join her?

"Well, it does look inedible and I sensed some danger of its side effects, but it could benefit you in some way. Sorry, I don't know much about potions because I can't even drink or eat them, and I wasn't rich enough to buy them while I was a human so I don't care that much."

Well, it's fine then, I'll take it. And you have a lot to say later about your past.

"Fine, I'll eat it but not here," I gave the lantern to Arth, "Don't forget about the book."

"Pretty impressive, what book do you want?"

Lence?

"A book about healing and reinforcing magic, half of you is still a human after all."

Can't we heal ourselves or reinforce things using words?

"Yeah, but we need something else that doesn't need verbal activation to keep our intention stealth in the battle to raise our chance of victory. And back then in my era and place, we didn't have that many magic schools, and I couldn't travel far from my town but this witch is different."

Fair enough, and there could be spells to silence my voice and I've no other way to cast mantras.

"Alright, I want a book about healing and reinforcing magic, two in one if possible."

With only a hand gesture, the book was sent onto my hand. The book isn't that thick or thin, so I think I could learn this within a few hours.

"And can I leave this place temporarily later? My friends have been worrying about my whereabouts I guess."

"Sure, but you can't bring that book."

"Don't worry, I'm a fast learner and I'll learn this within one hour."

Indeed, I can read and learn everything faster. I found out that's probably one of the benefits of being fused with Lence as if two brains are working together.

"But are you sure that I won't run?"

"As long as you're on this planet, I can reach you."

Well, she's right. She easily teleported us anywhere, although I've only seen it happen inside the mansion and forest but I believe that she won't bluff like me.

"Also, is there any quiet place that I can use?"

Suddenly the room was changed to a bedroom, but it's different from before.

"Hello? Whose room is this?"

A voice appeared in my head similar to when Lence used to talk with me, "It's yours now."

"Thanks."

"Call me when you're done reading the book."

"Okay."

Hey Lence, shouldn't we learn about how to absorb and circulate magic first?

"Good point, but we can't waste more time here."

"Don't worry, I still have around two hours before my afternoon shift if my guess is right, and I should be able to get off work today."

"I see, you're not lazy but you have your priorities and I know that well about this side."

"Thanks for the compliment, I guess."

Two hours have passed, that was easy but I can't test the new spells yet but at least I can defend myself to some extent now even though I don't know any self defense or martial arts.

The potion she gave me also tasted more horrible than medicine. My stomach has been growling for the past two hours, but my condition feels much better after that. I think my blood issue is somehow cured as well.

"Hey, I'm done with the book. Can you teleport me somewhere near my apartment?"

The room was changed to the blue sky and green forest, I could feel the breeze. I'm near the entrance of this forest, not the apartment.

"You didn't disappoint me."

I'm shocked that Arth is beside me.

"Wait, why are you here?"

"To convey a message. You did a good job, come back to this place within two days for a new task."

"Alright, thank you for your guidance that I can improve a lot in less than a day! And that potion is actually delicious," It tastes like crap, I never eat crap though.

"Thank you for the lie."

Oh shit, she knows about how her potion tastes like crap.

"Well then, let's meet again in two days, Arth!"

Arth smiled, "Sure, Esth!"

That was fun and I enjoyed it. It's been a long time since I felt this kind of excitement, and I think Arth is more beautiful than Era, so I don't mind visiting this mansion again just to meet her. Well, except for her potion.

Wait, did she just call me my middle name? Where does she know about it!?

4