Epilogue
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

EPILOGUE

Rinne

Despite discovering that I could indeed see my friends whenever I wanted, I was nonetheless disturbed by a restless feeling in my heart. Even though it was in the past, I could see the love in their eyes, as they spent centuries and millennia together. It took them ages to see it, but there was something going on there even on the day that all of us were first assigned together. This was before the dawn of time, and so there was only God and us, before even the smallest grasshopper was created. "I am lonely," God said, "and you seven are too inhuman. I shall create a world with all manner of life, in order that I may know what it is like to be human." I was confused at this comment, as none of us knew what it meant to be human, but we began to appreciate our purpose as God organized us to help him create all of existence, then reorganized us, with my friends and myself placed in shuffled time, while Bosatsu, Engaku, Chiku, and Jin were placed outside of time.

Our first conversation, oddly enough, was about what God planned to do with these humans. Yomi thought maybe he'd keep them in cages and perform experiments with them. "I think," Seishi said while pausing for emphasis, "that God made humans to eventually awaken them as immortals, so God could have a big orgy for all eternity! C'mon Rinne, give us a theory!" I responded, "Pervert," before explaining that I really had no idea, but would be glad if I got to chat with humans before leading them where they wanted to go in the Afterlife. To find out what they were like, what their life was about.

I got my wish. I was assigned to this exact task, and though it was harder than I thought, I never had regrets. But this day... things got personal.

Let's back up a bit though. After I was effectively stuck in the Reaper equivalent of overtime, working over a thousand hours every day (time is different when you're a Reaper), the powers that be decided that I needed frequent vacations. As such, I periodically visited Earth in different time periods in different forms. But over the next few centuries, the time period that I grew to love the most was the 20th century from 1982 to just before 2020. I was sitting in a subway, listening Soulmate on a music device, going by the name Elysium, and wearing a dark cloak and with red hair. I didn't look that much different from how I normally looked, except for the addition of a nose ring and frillier gloves. And some makeup.

Anyway. I started singing the song, since it was the best on that playlist. I sang quietly at first, but by the time that I got to the chorus line, the song had resonated with me to such a degree that I was sing loudly (and probably off-key) and with more than a touch of sadness and bitterness.

Incompatible, it don't matter though

'cos someone's bound to hear my cry

Speak out if you do

You're not easy to find

Is it possible Mr. Loveable

Is already in my life?

Right in front of me

Or maybe you're in disguise

Who doesn't long for someone to hold

Who knows how to love you without being told

Somebody tell me why I'm on my own

If there's a soulmate for everyone

I got poked on the back, and my astral body nearly jumped out of my skin. The one that I borrowed to appear as a human. "Hey there,"said a stranger, "you seem to be singing that song awfully loud. Do you perhaps mean it?" I giggled. Over the next hour in the subway, the man who introduced himself as Theo and I talked, gradually forgetting both of our stops (although, to be honest, I was on vacation so I had nowhere to go for the next few days). I explained, "It's just that, it seems like literal centuries since I have actually had a meaningful relationship. My friends became girlfriends, but yeah, there's nobody for me. It's literally been " Theo raised an eyebrow, "Would you like that to change?" I nodded, "Although... It's been ages since I've had anything like a date, if ever. I might be inexperienced. And I'm probably a lot older than I look so I know of things that are a turn off." Theo asked me what I meant by 'things'. I sorta kinda geeked out about the causes of the French Revolution. And yet, he was still listening. "Listen, I'd like to talk more," Theo explained, "but I have work tomorrow. Would you consider meeting me on 1am Sunday morning at the church near 1st and Amistad? After that, we'll go for a cup of coffee, and see what comes next." Damn. So, my vacation was over on Saturday, and I theoretically could make it again, but would have to wait either for another vacation (the last one was after centuries of work) or hope that a job led me near there. But in the latter case, I'd probably not have a full date. All people had to die on time, after all. And the journey to Afterlife took awhile too. The week passed, and I thought the entire time about the next time I would meet him. When you think about it, I barely knew him, but there was something about him that was very familiar. But as I had only temporary relationships with other humans, that was impossible.

When I returned to the Unseen Realm to pick up my next work order, I was filled with a sort of anxious distraction. I got the next ten jobs done in record time, but it seemed as though there was some problem with me not being as thorough as usual in the part where I explained to the dead where they were and what was happening. Not that it really mattered, as they eventually moved along into the next life. But some lingered, and others dealt with issues in the Afterlife. That I hurried them through wasn't forbidden, but generally frowned upon.

Bosatsu was my direct supervisor, but God acted as a sort of aloof general manager of what I did. I could never tell what she was thinking, and sometimes even though I worked hard, she would arbitrarily ask me to do some extra step. I usually wouldn't measure up to God's commands, but she seemed to expect it and take it in stride. So, while Bosatsu gave me an earful, God just smiled at me like she knew something. Did she maybe know about my meeting? I suppose she must, because God could see everything. But still... she seemed entirely too perky today.

It looked like the next assignment was pretty close to where I had my date. In fact, it was the same place. At the same time. And when I read the report of who I was supposed to collect, Theo's name was on it. "What. The. Fuck." I said. I arrived at the spot wondering what I would find. He had most likely gotten in a car accident on the way to the place, as it wasn't a place known for violent crime, but parking was pretty hectic. They should have expanded their parking lot like they had planned to.

Sure enough, I recognized that smooth jawline, the short cropped hair, that fine nose. For some reason, despite having met him only the other day, I recognized that nose and that face. Where did I know it from though...? I stepped closer at the body lying near the street, pulling out Yomi's scythe to reap him before he turned into a zombie or something. I got within 3 feet of him when his eyes snapped open. I flinched and jumped back, falling over in surprise. I pulled out Seishi's scythe, fully ready to instead exorcise him if he was a zombie. I had never heard of this happening so quickly, but I guess there is an exception for everything.

"Relax!" Theo said, "I'm not a zombie." No, he wasn't reading my thoughts, it was just a coincidence! He stood himself up slowly, leaning on me. Wait, normal humans shouldn't be able to see or touch Reapers, not unless they borrowed a physical body. "Wait... who or what are you?"

He smirked. I am certain that I have seen that smile recently, but where? Wait...

"Theo... means God. And this location... they're lyrics from a song by Fray. I found God at the corner of 1st and Amistad. So, this was all a prank? There's no boyfriend for me, then?" I asked, outraged and disappointed. Theo's hair lengthened and turned blue. His buff muscular chest became breasts and narrow waist, and his hips widened while what was between his legs shrug and disappeared. Her clothes changed not at all, but this was definitely God standing in front of me. "Oh no, it's not a prank. Oh rather, I was messing with you, but not about that. I could see how lonely you were. It's not good for people to be alone, and I decided I wanted to be your 'boyfriend'. If you'll have me." After the initial shock wore off, I agreed. We went to church as planned, then toward the coffee shop, which thanks to a strange prank was blocked off four blocks away in all directions. I looked at her, and she grinned sheepishly. This contrived coincidence meant we instead wound up having a meal at a Chinese restaurant. In the days to come, I'd spend time with her whenever I got time off. But for now, this moment was enough. "By the way, what Seishi said about having orgies was spot on. I do want to have a personal relationship with all living things. And if it means sex, that's fine too." I nudged God, "Pervert." But anyway. These are the Tales from the Reaper. How I went from a simply strange being that God passed over to make real humans, to someone God loved. And someone who loves God back.


Done! Hope you guys enjoyed. I basically decided to add this chapter mainly because Rinne was kinda left out of the last chapter. It's not the best written romance ever, but I liked writing it, I guess. Btw, the thing with the coffee shop getting blocked off and going to a Chinese restaurant actually happened. It was during this parade. I had set up the date, but neither of us knew about the parade. Though I always sorta suspected she had pranked me somehow.

0