Game 1 – Phase 1
125 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-PHASE OPEN-

“...wake up…”

“...wake up…”

“I made it just for you!”

“...please…”

Faith wakes up from a rocky sleep and pushes her face off her desk. She rubs her eyes and turns to look out her bedroom window.

‘Mornin’ already?’ as she squints her eyes from the sunshine against the rain droplet-covered glass.

Faith yawns loudly while watching boats pass down the river and merchants at the open market of River Sreet shoving out the rainwater from the canopies. One little girl is standing on a stool and wants to be helpful. She heaves from under a canopy with all her might, only to drench her unsuspecting father from behind. Faith laughs and rubs her weary face more.

She turns to look back at her desk, which has a variety of wooden figures scattered across it. One of them is of a rabbit painted red. Faith holds it close, smiles, and caresses the snout with her thumbs.

This takes Faith back to the first time she showed her father an “approved” character sketch. She was so shy! It took a few days to receive his opinion, much longer than anticipated, but his eventual response was to surprise her with this rabbit, hand-carved himself. Then, he told her to paint it herself.

Today, the red paint is chipping away, and Faith still treasures it…

…she needs to get going…

Faith puts down the rabbit figure and pulls over the opened Royal Four-Ces game box. Removing the card decks played with last night. Replacing them with the “special” cards. A distinct Heart-shaped emblem is visible on the back of one of these decks. Faith stows them back into the box and then in a small handbag.

She gets ready to walk out of the room with her supplies but stops. Faith knew she had forgotten something! Walking back to her bed, she reaches for an envelope.

The envelope is on top of a particular book. It gives Faith pause…

Faith closes her eyes, breathes in, and quickly snatches both the envelope and the book before dwelling on the thought too much.

After making her way downstairs, Faith finds her shoes and reaches for the doorknob at the front door. Quietly like a mouse. But just as she is about to turn it…

“…will you be leaving now?” asks her father. She hadn’t noticed him sitting in his chair. He walks over, pipe in mouth, as usual.

“YES!” answers Dee breaking the ice. So much for her plan of leaving alone without a word…

Our boy was the first to wake up, much to their father’s annoyance. It is not Dee’s fault that he is full of energy. Faith had initially been hyping up this day. But now that it is here, she strangely appears apprehensive.

“Take an umbrella with yew,” their father reminds them.

“We won’t be gone long…Papa…” Faith says.

Their father gets up, grabs an umbrella, and hands it to her.

“I hope ya won’t be! Dee has work in the mornin’!”

Faith puts on her best sad kitty eyes and responds, “...Ok, Papa…”

“Thanks, Pops!” says Dee.

game1_phase1_family.JPG

They take off and stroll across the puddles of the misty city streets. Their father sees them off. He notices the sun peeking through the clouds and shining strong against the dew, to his surprise.

Taking a puff from his pipe, Bishop Roos thinks, ‘Heh. Maybe I do worry too much…’

*Puff*

‘...Hmm, someone really ought to shut off those damn street lamps,’ and he closes the door.

game1_phase1_riverstreet.JPG

Dee can’t wait to see what possibilities their destination has in store for them. Faith wonders the same, but her thoughts are caught between nervousness and hope. She doesn’t notice stepping on a newspaper titled, Annual Preview! Game Theatre 18XX…

…hosted by none other than THE Jacques Lenoir…

Who is Jacques Lenoir? Let us take a slight detour away from Ms. Faith and Dee to teach you about his greatness…

Why he is the very creator of many popular “do-it-yourself” games! It was not uncommon for a section of major newspapers to be dedicated to his game concepts, and those publications gladly clash over the privilege to spotlight his columns. Games such as Danger Dice!, Master’s War!, and Roll n’ Ruse! made Mr. Lenoir a household name near and far.

Selling mere products is outside of the goals of a humble game veteran such as himself. Jacques Lenoir is financially well off already. His drive was to spread the wonder of games to inspire young and old minds alike without monetary boundaries.

He doesn’t even bother seeking any significant legal protection for his creations. A man of his wealth, stature, and connections could make it happen with the snap of his fingers, but he still chooses not to. Of course, this “generosity” plays into the hands of local tourist traps hungry to make easy money off “official” (more like unofficial) game accessories from the hometown of your favorite game creator! Even that could be easily snapped away, but Jacques Lenoir lets it slide. Spreading access is more important than the money.

Mr. Lenoir’s mission had been ongoing for several years…

It worked on Faith and made an impression on her. She admired his ambition and wanted to create a popular game of her own. It is an era of imagination, and she desperately wants to be a part of it. However, her path was not smooth. There were many times when people would cast doubt on her game…

Attempts to cut Faith out of her own creation…mocking her…too much interest in the woman behind the game…she put up with all of it, or at least as best she could…

Faith thought that even for Mr. Lenoir, ‘He must have dealt with this too! If he could break through…so can I!’

The Annual Preview! Game Theatre 18XX’s namesake comes from Mr. Lenoir’s annual competition to give exposure to new game ideas from his fans. It is straightforward enough, submit a game idea to your local paper’s editorial office. For Faith, this was the Clearview Tribune. Then, you wait. Once that written invitation to Mr. Lenoir’s manor arrives by post, you have his interest. However, there’s a catch. If you want to be blessed with the esteemed honor of having Mr. Lenoir promote your game, you need to beat him at your own game.

Easier said than done. You see, before becoming a household name for making games, his name was consistently whispered about in various high-level play circuits of almost any game, card or board, that you could think of! His skills are nothing to scoff at!

Rumors swirl of humiliating defeat or premature exits due to last-minute anxiety in this competition. Despite Mr. Lenoir’s humbleness, the thought of playing against THE Jacques Lenoir is too much for the faint of heart. After all, even if it’s your game and your rules…HE is still a prodigy. This isn’t casual play against a buddy or sibling.

Faith had run Royal Four-Ces through multiple iterations and even had to swallow her pride more than once for the sake of improvement. But nevertheless, she was sure this was the best possible version to present to him…right?

Ms. Faith and Dee draw near…

Dee apparently, and almost definitely against Faith’s wishes, insisted on taking a shortcut through the jungle that is Fortsytche Park. It’s overrun with great roots unearthing the concrete, which makes an excellent magnet for toes to slam against…

“OW! GRRRRR!” …wood. That was the third time in a row for Faith. For Dee, this is the third time in a row he casually hopped over a root unscathed.

Faith looks down and feels her toes wiggle in her shoes. When she looks back up, her face is overcome with awe! She runs out into a misty street ahead, and Dee rushes along after her.

They finally arrived at their destination…

…7 East Hull Way…

Lenoir Manor.

It feels as if the mist itself knows to part to allow the splendor to announce itself. This iconic work of architecture sits comfortably under a large tree with Spanish moss hanging from the branches.

game1_phase1_lenoirmanor.JPG

It’s said the furthest tourists are permitted here is determined by the distance their arms reach the ground between the fences…to take back grass from the front lawn as a prized souvenir!

Faith never bothered coming here before. To her, it just never felt right. Faith always reckoned that it is uncouth and shameless for ravenous fans of Mr. Lenoir’s work to come ogle at his private residence.

*HMPH*

She puts on the face of a true dignified lady and opens the gate…

-CHAPTER END-

-PHASE CLOSE-

 

3