c003
495 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter  is available for Patreons

If you enjoy this novel or have a suggestion, please leave a comment or message me to let me know! Thanks!

Join me on Discord

Morning came early as mom came in to wake me up at 5:30.

“Get up young lady and go bathe. Let me know when you are done.”

In the bathroom, I look into the mirror, wave, smile at my reflection and say, “Hi me.”

I still look a tiny bit like my old self, but I resemble Mom much more now. The hair, pierced ears, the freckles pepper my nose and cheekbones, all add up to a new, much prettier me. I turn on the shower and brush my teeth as I wait for it to warm up. I find it curious, when I find my normally super hot shower very uncomfortable and I have to turn the temperature way down.

Gone is the soap and all in one shampoo I used to use. In their place, I have separate shampoo, conditioner and body-wash. I think lavender is going to be one of my favorite scents. When I’m done I get out and dry off, wrap the towel around myself and call for Mom as I head back to my room.

She yells from downstairs, “Alright honey, I’m on my way.”

A light tapping on my door and Mom walks in.

She looks around and mutters, “This is so not a girls room. How about we fix it up?”

I nod enthusiastically as I reply, “I was thinking the same thing yesterday.”

“Then, we’ll solve that issue today. Alright take a seat at your desk.” She plugs in her hair dryer and continues talking as she blow dries and brushes it. “We’ll need to get new furniture for you and quite a few other minor things. That will include buying your own hair dryer. Once she finishes, she braids my hair.

“I was thinking, how about we redo your room with blush colored walls with lavender trim, and white furniture?”

“Wow! I was thinking the same thing!” I smile as I tell her, “Great minds must think alike,” which makes her laugh

We finished with my hair and tells me to dress. She leaves as I open my closet. I delve through my outfits and choose a pale yellow summer minidress. I add a white beret that Mom chose for me when we were shopping, and pull out my white sandals.

After I’m dressed, I head downstairs to help Mom make breakfast. Cooking is something I had no interest in, but now, I love helping Mom.

When she sees me, she gushes, “Oh, you look so cute!”

Breakfast is fried eggs, bacon and toast. While we’re finishing up, Lucas and Dad come in. Lucas wolf whistles and calls out, “Lookin’ good, Sis!”

I throw a smile over my shoulder and tell him, “Thanks.”

Dad chimes in and says, “Your brother is right. I can already see that I’m going to have to get a shotgun.”

Mom and I giggle at his statement. Then I tell him, “Dad, you do remember that I’m only 10, right? Dating is something I'm not sure I'm ready to do.”

He hrumphs. “Sweetheart, kids are dating at a much earlier age these days. For that matter, 50% of high school girls are pregnant.”

I shrug. “Maybe, but that doesn’t mean that I will. I think you’re getting too far ahead of yourself. I haven’t even had my first period yet.”

Lucas interjects with a, “Gross!”

Mom turns around and tells him, “It certainly isn’t gross. It’s a fact of life.”

We set the platters on the table and take our seats. Everyone serves themselves and eats, then Lucas takes off for school and Dad for work.

Today is little more than Mom and me shopping for my new furniture and buying the paint for my room.

The trip is actually fairly short and once we are back, we change into clothes that won't matter if we get paint all over. For me, that’s a pair of jean shorts and an old t-shirt from when I was a boy.

Mom throws my new sheets in the washer, then we break down the bed. Suffice it to say that it was a struggle for us to get all of my old furniture downstairs and setting it all outside to be picked up, then we head back up to paint my room.

It takes a while to do it, but I’m more than happy with the results. We clean up a bit and then make ourselves lunch. After we eat, we plop down on the sofa and relax while we wait for the paint to dry.

Next project is hanging my new curtains, which are a dark purple. As we’re doing so, the doorbell chimes and Mom goes to answer it. She soon calls out to me, “Sweetheart, leave that for now and come downstairs.”

It’s the delivery men with my new bed, and furniture. Of course, Mom wants us out of the way while they set everything up. So, after I explain where I’d like things placed, they get busy while Mom and I get something to drink and relax.

After they leave we finish hanging my curtains and then make my bed. Once we finish, I look around and sigh contentedly. My room looks so much better now. “Thanks Mom.”

She smiles at me. “You’re welcome. Now, go take a shower and get dressed. We need to get dinner started soon.”

 ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇

The alarm wakes me at 5:30 and I groggily turn it off. I stretch and yawn, then head to the bathroom to shower. After I’ve blow dried my hair, Mom comes up and braids it for me. I put in my emerald stud earrings, and then remove one of my school uniforms from the closet.

Our school uniform is rather cute in my opinion. It’s a white short sleeve, button up blouse, red plaid skirt with white and black stripes, a red bow tie, red vest, and a white beret. We have to wear white tights or pantyhose, along with red 1” kitten heel pumps.

Boys uniforms aren’t much different, only they wear red slacks with a white shirt, red tie and dress shoes.

Once I’m dressed, I head down to the kitchen to help make breakfast.

Mom turns when I enter and again gushes, “Beth, you look so good in that!”

After we eat, Lucas and I collect our backpacks and head out the door.

As we walk to the bus stop, Lucas asks, “Are you ready for school?”

“I hope so, but honestly, I’m a little scared.”

“Just remember, I’m just a text away. I’ll hurt anyone who touches you.”

“Thank you. Hopefully, it doesn’t happen, but you’ve seen how some boys treat the new girls.”

“True, but Jack said he’d be there for you.”

“Really? Look, I love Jack to death and he’s an awesome friend, but he isn’t exactly the biggest guy I know.”

“Maybe so, but he’s bigger than you and he’s in your class. Plus, he’s not exactly a guy that allows himself to get pushed around.”

“I know, I know.” I sigh. “I’m just nervous, alright?”

He nods. “You know, you really are very pretty now. In a couple of years, boys will be coming out of the woodwork looking for you.”

“Oh shut up. I don’t even know how I feel about.... that. Well, not yet anyway.”

So, the bus comes and we get on and find an empty seat and sit down together. We sit in silence till the next stop and Jack gets on. He says, “Hey Beth.” I say, “Hey Jack.”

One of Lucas's friends also comes on and says, “Morning dude, want to come back and sit with me?”

“No, sorry, not today.”

I give him a look and murmur, “Lucas, go sit with your friend, Jack will sit with me. Besides, it isn’t as if anyone knows who I am right now. At least, not until I take my seat in class.”

“Are you sure?”

I nod adamantly. “If anyone tries anything you’ll only be a few rows back, so I’m not worried.”

Lucas gets up to go sit with his friend and Jack plops down next to me.

“How has your week been?”

“Alright, except I lost my best friend.”

“Phtt~ I’m still your friend, you big goofball. I’m just a girl now.”

“How does it feel, compared to being a boy?”

“To be honest, I don’t really know. I mean, I know I used to be a boy, but I don’t feel like I’ve ever been one.”

“Really? Do you change that much?”

“Yes, they have a way of helping you adjust mentally to being a girl. It makes it much easier.”

“Well, are you ready for this, Beth? Cause we’re here.”

At this point, we pull up to the entrance and stopped. The bus driver opened the door to let us out. Jack and I queue up to exit the bus. As we amble to the entrance, two girls that were standing near the edge of the sidewalk come up to me.

“Bethany Keeling?”

“Yes, I’m Beth.”

“Hi, my name is Kara and this is Sierra. Can we talk to you in private for a minute?”

“Uh, sure, I suppose so. Jack, Lucas, would you wait for me, please?”

He nods and I follow them several feet into the grass so we can talk without being easily overheard.

“Hi, we went through the change over the summer, so we were able to attend school with nobody knowing who we were. I used to be Charles and she was Edward.”

“Ok, yeah. I kind of remember you two. Quiet and always hanging in the background.”

“Yeah, we didn’t stand out much, but you’re the first one to go through the change this year during school. Mrs. Lynn asked us to look out for you. There will be some people who have, shall we say, extreme reactions to the boys who change.”

“Well, I got my brother, and Jack watching out for me. Jack has his test in two weeks and he’s sure he’ll pass.”

“Please, don’t tell him, but he will.”

“What? How do you know?”

“Remember the so-called aptitude tests we all took at the end of last year?”

“Yes.”

“Well, that test is fairly accurate in telling who will or won’t pass.”

“So, that decides who stays a boy and who’d be adaptable enough to be a girl?”

“To put it simply, yes. The longer explanation is that it gives them a good idea of who to watch out for.”

Sierra speaks up then. “Anyway, Mrs. Lynn had a talk with us and said the new girls would feel more at ease with others who make the change to smooth their way. So, here we are, your new friends.”

The bell rings and Kara asks, “Are you ready? Nobody knows who you are yet, but, as soon as you sit in your seat you’re telling everybody and the word will get around quickly.”

“I suppose I'm as ready as I’ll ever be. Not that it’s saying much.”

We all walk through the doors and Lucas says, “I’ll see you at lunch, Sis. Remember, text me if someone bothers you.”

He heads off in the opposite direction as the four of us walk to our classroom. I don’t even hesitate when I enter, I walk over to my seat, and smooth my skirt under me as I sit down and cross my ankles. Sorry boys, no free peeks here.

I try my best to act nonchalant as I remove my book from my backpack, but I’m extremely self-conscious of the fact that all eyes were on me. As I glance around the room, some look confused, others surprised, and a couple look angry or disgusted.

Once the bell rings, the teacher walks down the aisle and stops beside me and says, “Class, I’d like to introduce you all to Bethany Anne Keeling.”

Well, now everyone knows who I am, erasing any possible doubts that might have lingered in anyone’s mind. They all knew I took the test and today I show up as a girl.

I kind of daze through the first two periods until recess rolls around. In our school, we don’t really have gym, but twice a day, they let us out on the school grounds to help burn off our excess energy. Jack, Kara, Sierra and I walk out together. I should have known that there would be at least one jerk in my class. Jeremy, the huge prick that he is, comes right up to me, sticks his face in mine and begins yelling at me.

“You know what my father calls people like you? Fairies! You voluntarily gave up being a guy to change into a girl. What kind of freak are you?”

At this point, a couple of other boys join in yelling awful things at me. It doesn’t take much to make me cry and I do so with utter abandon when Kara hugs me. I never really used to cry much, but here I am bawling my eyes out while Sierra yells at the boys, “Why don’t you keep your big mouths shut over things you know nothing about!”

Jeremy snorts and says, “Oh yeah? I got my test next month and there’s no way I’m changing. I’m gonna stay a boy and grow to be a man, just like my dad.”

Sierra yells back, “Yeah yeah, picking on a girl. You're so manly, not!”

At this point, the teacher in charge comes in and breaks it up. She sends Kara, Sierra and me back to the classroom so I can calm down. As we’re leaving, Kara flips off Jeremy and spits out, “Asshole!”

We get back inside and they get me calmed down, only now I'm angry. Looking at Kara, I say, “Is it too much to hope that someone teaches that idiot a lesson on how to treat girls?”

“Remember we told you about the test?”

“Sure.”

“Well, he has his test in about one month and he will pass. He doesn’t know it yet, but he’s going to have to make the choice.”

“Yeah, so what? Serves him right.”

“How did you feel about the girls before your change?”

I shrug. “It was their choice and truthfully, who was I to say anything to them?”

“See, you’ve never shown any prejudice. Beth, you’re a sweet girl, but you're going to have to develop some thicker skin because we need you to help us with the new girls throughout the year.”

“Okay, I’d be happy to help.”

The rest of the morning goes by smoothly, then the bell for lunch rings and Jack, Kara, Sierra, and I make our way to the lunchroom. We get in line for food and we’re chatting when I hear a couple of boys from our class repeatedly mutter, ‘fairy’.

I look back when it suddenly stops to see Lucas talking to them and boy do they look scared. Lucas then walks up to us to join us and the whole place gets quiet.

We get to our table and sit down and start eating. A few minutes later Lucas sits next to me, and his best friend takes the seat across from him. Sam says, “I’m Sam. I take it you’re Beth?”

I nod and reply, “Yes, I know who you are,and yes, I’m Beth.”

“You used to be James, right?”

“Yeah, but not anymore, what of it?”

“I think you guys got a lot of balls.”

Irritated, I quietly snap, “Just what is that supposed to mean?”

“Sorry, I really didn’t mean anything by it. I meant that you girls are really brave. Personally, I could have never made the decision you did. I have a lot of respect for all of you.”

I feel my face get hot as I murmur, “Thank you.”

Blushing? Really? Why am I blushing?

“Hey, you girls are saving the world. I can’t even remember most of who the girls were before they changed…” He snorts and smiles sheepishly. “Listen to me, I’m coming off like I’m an idiot. Seriously though, I really do have a lot of respect for you girls. It has to be a hard decision. I have a little brother. I’ll support him whether he makes the change or not. I know, I have a bad habit of going on and on. I hope you get what I’m saying is a compliment.”

I smile at him. “You do go on a bit, but I think you’re sweet.”

Huh? Sweet? Yeah, he’s really nice, but why did I say that? Thankfully, I’m saved by the warning bell ringing.

“See ya on the bus, Beth.”

“Ya, you too, Sam. Later Lucas.”

We are walking back to class when out of nowhere Sierra says, “He likes you.”

I look at her confused. “Who?”

“Sam.”

I blush again and murmur, “No way.”

Sierra giggles and quips, “See, you like him, too!”

“Look, I don’t know what I like, I’ve only been a girl for a few days, I’m also only ten.”

“We’ll see about that. I’m willing to bet he starts sitting closer to you on the bus and visits your house more than he used to.”

“Listen, I don’t know anything about dating. That goes double now that I’m a girl.”

“Well, that’s the awesome thing about being a girl. You simply have to say yes and let the boy handle planning the date.”

We get back to the classroom and take our seats as the rest of the class filter in. The bell rings and I have to admit, I barely remember anything the teachers talk about for the next couple of hours. I do kind of remember reading and writing things, and recess came and went almost without me noticing. I kept thinking about what Sierra said. Does Sam really like me? More importantly, do I like him in that way? I’m only ten and I’ve been a girl only a few days. Now, I’m suddenly thinking of a boy as boyfriend material? I am gonna have to have a big talk with mom when I get home.

The final bell of the day rings, so we gather our things and head for the bus. We sat near the front. Jack and I sat in one seat. Kara and Sierra sit across from us, and lo and behold, Sam and Lucas take the seat right behind us, instead of the back of the bus like they usually do. We all chat on the way home and I also exchange phone numbers with Kara and Sierra.

As always: A huge thank you to all my Patreons!

12